Who do you think is the "surprise player"?

I noticed a couple people have mentioned a Jerry R. statement on the radio saying that he thinks the FO of the Kings is looking to surprise some folks with somewhat of a sleeper pick in the draft. I saw that Bajaden made a little prediction that this player might be Paul George, and I was very intrigued by the idea. I think we can all agree GP has a good eye for talent, especially outside the lotto.

Since TDOS is currently in full swing, what do you guys think Jerry is talking about? I don't know why, but I will go out on a limb and say that maybe Daniel Orton is the guy they reach for. He appears to be a very interesting prospect, and maybe GP and Co. have their eye on him. So maybe trade down a few picks and pick up Orton and another pick/piece? I would love to hear some theories from you guys, if someone gets it right they get a cookie... :)

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Udoh. Right now most mocks have him going between #8 and as far down as #14 from what I've seen. I like Udoh a lot and at this point, if Cousins is gone, hope Petrie drafts him.

He's 6'10", good rebounder, great offensive rebounder, great shot blocker, versatile on offense, can hit the 15 ft jumper, very good in the post, good passer, and good man to man defender. Man to man defense is probably one of his strengths. Other than not being a great athlete, although he is decent, I can't point to anything I don't like about his game. He could get a little bigger, but most 22 yr olds do. I think he has the versatility of a player like Bosh. Not anywhere near as polished, or as athletic, but Udoh's ability to face up his defender, take the jumper, or take him off the dribble is impressive. And he's also has a pretty solid post game, and should be a consistent scoring threat on the block.

I can't underestimate how important it is to have a versatile player, hopefully a big, who can get there shot off one on one and help take the pressure off Tyreke going forward. We will need more than one player who can get there shot when needed, and I think Udoh has that kind of potential. Much more so than Landry IMO. And he's the only big we have who's shown any ability at all to take his man one on one when we need a basket.

Outside of Favors and Cousins, I think Udoh has the best chance of being a star. I wasn't that high on him before, untill I really started looking at and watching some taped games of guys who we might take if Cousins is gone. Everything I've seen from him makes me think he could be the most versatile big in this draft. Not only on offense, but defensively as well. I could be wrong, I'm no expert on college basketball, but I think this is the type of player Petrie would go after, and surprisingly to me, gets overlooked somewhat by the media.

Last edited:
Hopefully Udoh, reminds me of a poor man's KG. He would really help our defense and he has some offensive skills too. He's a great shotblocker(4 per game) and he's got good offensive skills, a decent passer(nearly 3 APG for a college PF is pretty good) and he has a decent J. He probably won't be the 25-12-5-2 guy KG was in his prime but I could see maybe 17-12-3-3 or something like that. He's tall and long enough that he can get his shot if he wants it so creating his own shot isn't a problem. He'd actually probably complement Reke really well.

I too would say its Udoh. He isnt a center but he addresses the need for interior defense. The major fault of his, defensive rebounding, can EASILY be attributed to Baylors 2-3 zone. If more people saw him play there would be alot more people that are high on him.

Udoh? meh.. Not that high on him. I wouldn't throw a fit or anythign if we drafted him, but I am not that "into" Udoh as a future King or anything.

Maybe they like Daniel Orton or something heh.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Everytime I watched Udoh play he seemed no more than OK as a prospect. He has some unique skills but he doesn't look to have star potential at all.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I'm hoping its Aldrich.

Sure he doesnt have star potential and 5 is a bit high with a player like Wes Johnson on board....But I think Aldrich can really help our young team, now and in the future.

I'd rather have a defense playing big than yet another no D playing swingman, even if Wes Johnson does have that allstar potential. We NEED a 5. JT is a PF and Hawes doesnt look like he's going to morph into Howard anytime soon. I know they say go BPA high up in the draft, but I think Omri and Greene have just as much potential as Johnson (then again I'm a huge homer).

Of course the surprise player could also be some Euro. :p

Since TDOS is currently in full swing, what do you guys think Jerry is talking about? I don't know why, but I will go out on a limb and say that maybe Daniel Orton is the guy they reach for. He appears to be a very interesting prospect, and maybe GP and Co. have their eye on him. So maybe trade down a few picks and pick up Orton and another pick/piece? I would love to hear some theories from you guys, if someone gets it right they get a cookie... :)
You are right, that is a huge reach.:p I don't know who he will pick, my guess is another small forward, since no one would expect yet another.

I have a list of guesses
#1 Aminu is my guess

#2 Patric Patterson kinda small

#3 Ed Davis kinda light for a power forward

#4 Hassan Whiteside Really don't want him, but if we do get him he sees something special we don't, also means another project

#5 Cole Aldrich Too small for a center.

Last edited:
I don't think there is a surprise player.

I would agree with this. I think most scouts and college fans know the players pretty well this year. At least in terms of the first round. Sleepers are much easier to find in the second round ( were any player who plays well will be considered a sleeper )

I say this for the NCAA players of course. The sleepers in this draft would be guys like Donatas Montiejunas or Ryan Richards who, like Jennings last year. had the "unknown" factor.

I say Montiejunas, esp if he works out for the Kings. He just seems like a Petrie type of pick. Out of the top 4 players I don't see any star potential, and we need star potential, not just role players. The guy is supposedly 7 ft WITHOUT shoes

Last edited:
I wouldn't be shocked if Petrie has a surprise player in mind. I don't think any of us saw Jason Thompson coming a couple of years ago, and apparently the Kings were considering Aaron Brooks the year before.

That being said, if there is a sleeper pick I don't think it is going to be someone who is already projected in the mid to late lottery, like Davis, Aldrich or Udoh. More than likely it will be someone along the lines of Paul George, like Bajaden suggested, or possibly a European player like Montiejunas.

I wouldn't be shocked if Petrie has a surprise player in mind. I don't think any of us saw Jason Thompson coming a couple of years ago, and apparently the Kings were considering Aaron Brooks the year before.

That being said, if there is a sleeper pick I don't think it is going to be someone who is already projected in the mid to late lottery, like Davis, Aldrich or Udoh. More than likely it will be someone along the lines of Paul George, like Bajaden suggested, or possibly a European player like Montiejunas.
That may be right but I don't see Petrie picking either of those players with the #5. Maybe he can trade down to grab one of these players if that's who he wants, but I thought the question was who we think a surprise player may be AT #5.

That may be right but I don't see Petrie picking either of those players with the #5. Maybe he can trade down to grab one of these players if that's who he wants, but I thought the question was who we think a surprise player may be AT #5.

But Petrie usually doesn't trade down. He just drafts whoever he thinks is the best player, regardless of where he is picking.

I guess a clearer question would be what do you think the "surprise move" is going to be. Since Jerry is foreshadowing something along those lines I was just wondering what you guys think of a move like that and what it could possbly be.

I thought of Udoh as well, but I am kind of trying not to jinx it because I would love to pick him up if we don't get Cousins. And taking a second glance at Orton's measurements I am a little dissapointed with his height etc. He sure looks sturdy enough, but I had hoped he'd be taller. Only 19 though...

Last edited:
I don't think it is out of the question for Petrie to draft one of those players at 5 if he is high on them. Thompson was picked much higher than most mock drafts had him listed, and you could say the same thing if Petrie had selected Brooks instead of Hawes the year before.

On a related note, Kevin Seraphin has gotten some attention over at DraftExpress lately, and is someone I could see impressing in workouts, possibly working his way into the lottery.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought of Udoh as well, but I am kind of trying not to jinx it because I would love to pick him up if we don't get Cousins. And taking a second glance at Orton's measurements I am a little dissapointed with his height etc. He sure looks sturdy enough, but I had hoped he'd be taller. Only 19 though...
I wouldn't touch Orton with a 10 foot pole. Just like I couldn't fathom how a guy who didn't even start for his college team (Marvin Williams) could be drafted #2 overall, I can't believe anyone would use a top 15 pick (let alone a top 5 pick) on a guy who averaged 3 points and 3 rebounds and played less than 15 minutes a game in college.

Let somebody else gamble on him becoming something in the future.

I wouldn't touch Orton with a 10 foot pole. Just like I couldn't fathom how a guy who didn't even start for his college team (Marvin Williams) could be drafted #2 overall, I can't believe anyone would use a top 15 pick (let alone a top 5 pick) on a guy who averaged 3 points and 3 rebounds and played less than 15 minutes a game in college.

Let somebody else gamble on him becoming something in the future.
A lot of draft and NBA types wouldn't want to admit this, but a team's success can play a pretty significant role in where a player gets drafted. Even a player like Orton, who was only marginally productive in a small number of minute, can still skyrocket up boards if his team is very succesful.

On the opposite side of the spectrum you have players like Ed Davis, who was considered a top 3 pick coming into the season, but has dropped into the late lottery despite improving on an already impressive freshman year. If North Carolina hadn't had such a bad season he would probably be in the discussion at #5, and I think he should be.

If I were Jerry I would do the same thing. He's a member of the team of Petrie Pickers. Petrie is always capable of surprising us, has in the past. Jerry suggestion makes the draft more interesting and it keeps others on their toes including potential picks. I doubt if the issue is decided. Anybody besides Cousins and Johnson would be a surprise. Since Petrie has never traded picks (in my fuzzy memory) maybe this is the year.