Which King do you absolutely not want to see leave

What king do you not want to see leave not only because of his talent but his attitude. My pick is Spencer, I love his skills for a big man but I also like how he wants to improve and he gives 100% every game and seems to be a nice guy... whats your pick

Well, realistically I can't see Hawes, Martin, or Thompson going anywhere unless we win in a blockbuster trade. Therefore, I gotta say Garcia and Greene.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
At the moment guy #1 would be Spencer -- too intriguing a mix of talent. (and no its certainly not because of my read on his personality, because I think he could have the makings of a considerable jerk if things go wrong -- ego, self-righteous, and opinionated? Hell, its me!).

#1a/#2 would be Thompson.

After that I get increasingly flexible.

Right now, the player I would least like to give up is Jason Thompson. For years we've been discussing how acquire that mythical power forward who can play defense and be a force on the boards (since the departure of Webber, actually). Now, our team isn't as good as it once was, and our needs have changed, but I can't shake the feeling that having a long athletic 4 on the Kings is something like owning a gold mine.

Spencer Hawes, honestly with his age, potential, current skill set, height and age you just CAN NOT move him, EVER. I'd move Martin(due to positional play) before I moved Hawes.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I refuse to pick just one. I don't want Hawes, Thompson, Martin, Cisco, and Greene going anywhere.
I think I agree here, and I think you even have them in the order I would put down as well. Not sure if that was your intent as well, but well done.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Witch King? I guess we could use the Lord of the Nazgûl to strike some fear into our opponents. Our roster certainly doesn't. ;)

But to answer the question, I'd like to hold on to all of our "kids"...I guess Hawes would be the one I most want to keep. Younger than Greene but very polished for a center, is working on a post game where he's able to use both hands, jumper out to the three, improving on rebounding and shotblocking...what's not to like?

I think Greene may have the highest ceiling but it's not clear how he will pan out. I don't really see Thompson as a "franchise" piece - rather a great energy/hustle guy, borderline starter/6th man type. I don't think we'll get rid of Kevin without getting a great return, so I'm not worried about losing him.

In the right deals, I think Cisco and Donte Greene can be had...but they really have to be the deals where we get a certified star and/or a really good fit on our team that also complements our youth movement. Even if Donte fulfills his potential as a long range scorer with athleticism of sorts, in a league of increasingly perimeter-oriented athletic bigs that doesn't stand out as much as it did in the past, so even if we won't jump the gun by trading him now, down the line I'd imagine he may be trade bait. Cisco's nice and a hard working guy, but I almost get the feeling he's peaked, almost much like KMart has--with our increasing youth movement, Cisco's almost like the middling guy (between youth and veteran) and he may eventually be displaced in the hierarchy.

Yeah, I think Hawes has a huge mix of skills--has shown the potential to do pretty much anything on the court, and that's an extremely unique skill that few, let alone any big, can boast about. That alone should make the #1 untouchable player. Thompson's developing and has the potential to be a premier power forward, and should also be on the untouchable list--extremely active body and has made a huge impression already.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I hate to say it but the're not one guy on this team that I'm personally attached to, let alone who is "untouchable".

I like the potential of our young bigs and I'd question what management was thinking if they were moved for anyone over ~25 but otherwise I wouldn't get too worked up over anyone being moved.

Nobody. This team does not have untouchable assets imho. If you can shake to the foundation to get a better foundation - go for it.

Hopefully the Maloofs have not printed next season's ticket stock with the equivalent of CWebb/Vlade/Jason photos yet. What if the core next year is Roy and Beasley or something... I'm ok with rattling it all the way to the floor.

So, yeah. Nobody.

Spencer Hawes. Martin wants to be the leader, but he doesn't have it in him. By next year, Spencer Hawes WILL be the leader of this team, at age 21.

At the moment guy #1 would be Spencer -- too intriguing a mix of talent. (and no its certainly not because of my read on his personality, because I think he could have the makings of a considerable jerk if things go wrong -- ego, self-righteous, and opinionated? Hell, its me!).

#1a/#2 would be Thompson.

After that I get increasingly flexible.

Hey! I think you warned me for calling him a jerk a few weeks ago. Your read is exactly right though. IMO, he's well on his way to becoming a jerk which is too bad because he's a heck of a talent.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Hey! I think you warned me for calling him a jerk a few weeks ago. Your read is exactly right though. IMO, he's well on his way to becoming a jerk which is too bad because he's a heck of a talent.
Look again. Brickie didn't say Spencer is a jerk, he says he has the possible makings of a jerk, and then observed that Spencer - Bricklayer, meaning they both share a lot of character traits.

Spencer Hawes is NOT "well on his way to becoming a jerk."

Hawes and JT. Greene will probably be good, but big guys are too valuable.

And I don't get it. What's the difference between possible makings of a jerk and being on your way to being a jerk? Sounds the same to me.

Seems like I should know a little something about this subject as well, hehe.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Ok, I'll be honest when Hawes was first drafted and I read the press on him I thought he sounded like a jerk. But he is young and I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, lord know I was a jerk at that age, and no doubt according to a few still am. I do get along with all my coworkers great though! :)

Ok, I'll be honest when Hawes was first drafted and I read the press on him I thought he sounded like a jerk. But he is young and I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, lord know I was a jerk at that age, and no doubt according to a few still am. I do get along with all my coworkers great though! :)
I sounded just like Hawes when I was his age. I had just discovered Rush Limbaugh; what he was saying, was just what I was thinking, so I knew I was right and had to let everyone else know how they were wrong.

I was such a fool. At least time has mellowed me and allowed me to see the error in the thinking of my younger self.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I hate to say it but the're not one guy on this team that I'm personally attached to, let alone who is "untouchable".

I like the potential of our young bigs and I'd question what management was thinking if they were moved for anyone over ~25 but otherwise I wouldn't get too worked up over anyone being moved.
So, Dwayne Wade would be out of the question?

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
So, Dwayne Wade would be out of the question?
I'd seriously wonder what the point would be with our current roster as Wade wouldn't put us over the top and in general you don't trade down in size, but as I said in the first sentence nobody's untouchable.

You could be right. He certainly has the personality for it and is outspoken.
Last year, I thought Kevin Martin was untouchable. Now we have all seen how he as done as being "the man" in Sacramento. He's a great player, but he can't get it done alone, and he is not a natural leader. At this point, Kevin could be a really valuable piece in a trade to bring something big to Sacramento.

But Hawes, OMG, who expected him to come out of the gates like he has in his sophomore season? On top of that, he's opinionated and vocal. He walks with a chip on his shoulder. When the King's lose, he is PISSED OFF! Spencer Hawes is the future leader of this team.