What will happen at the deadline

What will happen at the deadline?

• Buy out Holmes (Mac says no and asks that we no longer talk about it)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trade King Keegan for a 2 year rental

• Trade Barnes

• Total voters
Trading a pick for 30 games of Poeltl probably wouldn't even crack a top five list of bad moves Morey has made in the last five years. With the way the Sixers are playing right now, they have a real chance of making it to the finals this season. It's an all-in move for sure but Daryl Morey is the biggest river boat gambler of all the GMs in the league.
I just think it’s tough because Embiid will be gone by then. If I’m giving up a first I’d prob want something more than a guy that will get 15 min a game and not close games. Hard to say

I’ve been all over the place on my prediction but I’m back to thinking Monte will add 2 good bench pieces. I think he knows the West is potentially tougher next year and we should be going for it this year. I’m not talking a swing for the fence trade but something that gives us a good shot to stay in the top 6. If we get to the post season and all the stars align you just never know.

Especially if you can then flip draft assets plus an expiring for Thybulle after that to fill the Davion hole after that. Monk has shown me enough at this point to be confident in him as a PG next to Thybulle off the bench.

Sabonis/Vandy
Barnes/Lyles
Murray/(Lyles or Thybulle)
Huerter/Thybulle
Fox/Monk

is an really strong/tight nine man rotation come playoff time. Find an emergency backup big off the buyout market and we're in business.
Thybulle and Vandy together would either be a monster tandem defensively or a total offense killer off the bench. Do we know how well Vandy plays as the roll man in the PnR? Monk needs a center that can feast on lobs and those short drop off passes in the paint.

I'd probably rather have Richardson over Thybulle if we wound up with Vandy due to Richardson's versatility when it comes to everything. Collins and Thybulle would be an interesting pair as well.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Great, Lakers or Clippers for sure
I can't imagine the clippers risking a more or less successful core on a rental for a nut burger that latches on to any stray conspiracy theory that wanders through his general direction. Sure he can play ball but I would argue he's been a net negative at least since landing in Brooklyn if not a whole lot sooner. Classic Lakers move if they can scrape together enough assets to make the trade half-ass attractive to Brooklyn but I really don't know what assets they could offer up at this point.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Great, Lakers or Clippers for sure
Clippers would have a tough time matching salary without sending back a bunch of future money that the Nets may not want. Russ for Kyrie could be made to work, I guess, but the Nets can't really possibly get fair value. Maybe the Bulls try to get in the playoffs now and build something around Lonzo Ball, so the Nets could get next year + player option on him?

Honestly, if I'm the Nets and there isn't a deal that actually improves the team, I'd just let him walk in free agency.
If I remember correctly they have bird rights to Irving so if they let him walk they don’t have any actual cap space to replace him. I’m not sure on this but I think that’s right

The one silver lining is we don’t play the Lakers and they have a ton of games against our competitors. Let them knock those guys around a bit

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
If I remember correctly they have bird rights to Irving so if they let him walk they don’t have any actual cap space to replace him. I’m not sure on this but I think that’s right
The Nets have almost $105M tied up in just KD, Ben Simmons, and Joe Harris for next season. So they're definitely not going to have cap room to replace a talent on the level of Kyrie.

So if they get a decent offer that makes sense then you make a deal and move on. But I wouldn't trade him just because he wants out. How many teams will offer anything of value or that actually fits with the Nets?

The Nets have almost $105M tied up in just KD, Ben Simmons, and Joe Harris for next season. So they're definitely not going to have cap room to replace a talent on the level of Kyrie.

So if they get a decent offer that makes sense then you make a deal and move on. But I wouldn't trade him just because he wants out. How many teams will offer anything of value
or that actually fits with the Nets?
Yeh they have a big decision to make

1) refuse trade and hope he doesn’t torpedo season
2) trade for Westbrook and firsts
3) mystery team

All three options prob guarantee a Durant trade in the off-season

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
They could do a sign and trade in that event though. I'd probably roll the dice on that and at least try to salvage the season because Kyrie gone also means KD redoes his trade demand.

What's Kyrie's specific problem that has him begging off a team that got hot after they showed Nash the door though? (if it's just that he's a crackpot I already know that)

They could do a sign and trade in that event though. I'd probably roll the dice on that and at least try to salvage the season because Kyrie gone also means KD redoes his trade demand.

What's Kyrie's specific problem that has him begging off a team that got hot after they showed Nash the door though? (if it's just that he's a crackpot I already know that)
I’m not certain but I think sign and trades are generally for teams without cap room or for when a player can get more money from their original team. I don’t even know what a contracted for Kyrie will look like

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I’m not certain but I think sign and trades are generally for teams without cap room or for when a player can get more money from their original team. I don’t even know what a contracted for Kyrie will look like
Durant was a S&T from the Warriors for D-Lo even though the Nets had the cash to sign Durant outright, they did the deal allowing Durant to get a bigger payday.

Although this might describe why the Nets are always on the wrong side of the worst deals in history moreso than other teams willingness to S&T guys this way. But did we see similar deals with either Ball in Chicago or Lowry in Miami?