What are your feelings on Ron-Ron now?

What would you like see done with Ron-Ron?

• I don't care what happens in his personal life, he helps the team win games!

Votes: 25 26.0%
  • I'll take him or leave him.

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • He is a major distraction to his team mates, I want him gone and I don't care what we get in return!

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • Shop him when the trades are eligible again for the best we can get.

Votes: 34 35.4%
  • Let's wait and see if he can shape up his anger issues and give him another chance.

Votes: 17 17.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am going to make this poll private, because I think doing so would give us the best, most honest outcome. What do you really think about Ron-Ron now, as far as how you would like to see him in (or out of) the Kings future?

piksi

Hall of Famer
I don't feel any different from the day that we got him. I will support his game as long as he is playing for the Kings hoping that the tenure will end soon. I will not support Kings if he is a member of the team next season.

I don't support people who beat their wives, so I voted "Shop him when the trades are eligible again for the best we can get."

He'll never change, at the end of the day he's still Ron Artest.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I didn't want him to come here, but was impressed with his play when he did.

I still thought something would happen to cause problems (given his history), but was hoping he would be OK until he was traded. It's probably time for him to go (this offseason).

He is quite a talent, but similar to TO, sometimes talent isn't enough. You have to have your head on straight....

I am not saying this in response to this particular incident, I think it is just everything in a microcosm. He is (apparently) a high maintenance kinda guy who has "incidents" wherever he goes. I'd really like those incidents to be taking place somewhere else....

piksi

Hall of Famer

I still thought something would happen to cause problems (given his history), but was hoping he would be OK until he was traded. It's probably time for him to go (this offseason).

He is quite a talent, but similar to TO, sometimes talent isn't enough. You have to have your head on straight....

I am not saying this in response to this particular incident, I think it is just everything in a microcosm. He is (apparently) a high maintenance kinda guy who has "incidents" wherever he goes. I'd really like those incidents to be taking place somewhere else....
LA for example

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I honestly think there should have been one more option:

I'm going to wait and see what the facts are in this particular situation before I decide how I feel about him remaining on the Kings.

I don't know VF, I think the majority of Kings fans has already made an opinion of Ron by now.

Edit: By the way, I am going to do another poll in a week so I will add it then.

Last edited:

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member

I'm going to wait and see what the facts are in this particular situation before I decide how I feel about him remaining on the Kings.
To an extent I agree, but it is growing larger than that. It appears that his wife may be nuttier than Ron is, and not in the benign "Jackie" kinda way. He's been having a lot of issues with the police being called out for various reasons, problems with the dogs and his neighbors, lack of communication with the team (Muss in particular), etc.

It might just be time to go, whether he is guilty of anything in particular in this instance or not.

I just don't know. <shrug>

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden

Exactly! This is one of what appears to be a number of run in's those two have had with each other. In the past she always drops charges.

In this case, the police said she first chased him in his Hummer down the driveway with a frying pan then bashed in his windshield. Then he came back up the driveway, got out and they went in to have their altercation.

Let's take scenario "A": she drops charges. Then what? He was not accused of wife beating as I heard it but rather of "domestic violence" and preventing someone from call 911. If thats the case and she drops charges, he is innocent of all charges and she very likely has a good size portion of the blame for the occurance.

What does Petri and the Maloofs do? He is "excused" from Kings activities and facilities which is not suspended. I think he is "excused" until the legal matter resolves itself one way or other. But in "Scenario A" he is cleared of charges. I think he gets some counselling (and her as well I hope) and we see him back within a week of a dismissal.

Scenario B. See continues to press charges and it goes to court. Then it gets messy. But getting to court can take weeks or months. Guess he sits on his hands until it is known one way or the other. If guilty then suspended and the NBAPA has a tough time getting him reinstated this year.

That's my 2¢ worth. Not what I want or don't want yet, just my guesses.

Ditto. I just think there will be no end to "incidents' that the team just shouldn't have to deal with. I was hopeful, but I don't think Ron's going to change or I have no indication that he will change.

Ditto. I just think there will be no end to "incidents' that the team just shouldn't have to deal with. I was hopeful, but I don't think Ron's going to change or I have no indication that he will change.

That's how I feel also, and is the reason why I want him gone whether he's convicted or not.

I agree, I am waiting and seeing as well.
Me too, to some extent.

I voted "take him or leave him," but that wasn't mainly about what goes on at his house. That was because I'm not 100% sure whether or not he helps the team win games, or, for that matter, whether we even want the team to be winning games right now. I'm not sure whether we want any veterans on our team at all right now (Corliss excepted).

If he is convicted of a felony, then he's almost certainly done, but I seriously doubt that's going to happen. I expect an outcome which is much more ambiguous -- like my answer.

Exactly! This is one of what appears to be a number of run in's those two have had with each other. In the past she always drops charges.

In this case, the police said she first chased him in his Hummer down the driveway with a frying pan then bashed in his windshield. Then he came back up the driveway, got out and they went in to have their altercation.

Let's take scenario "A": she drops charges. Then what? He was not accused of wife beating as I heard it but rather of "domestic violence" and preventing someone from call 911. If thats the case and she drops charges, he is innocent of all charges and she very likely has a good size portion of the blame for the occurance.

What does Petri and the Maloofs do? He is "excused" from Kings activities and facilities which is not suspended. I think he is "excused" until the legal matter resolves itself one way or other. But in "Scenario A" he is cleared of charges. I think he gets some counselling (and her as well I hope) and we see him back within a week of a dismissal.

Scenario B. See continues to press charges and it goes to court. Then it gets messy. But getting to court can take weeks or months. Guess he sits on his hands until it is known one way or the other. If guilty then suspended and the NBAPA has a tough time getting him reinstated this year.

That's my 2¢ worth. Not what I want or don't want yet, just my guesses.
Thats all well and good BUT IMHO a lot of people here are missing the point. Regardless of whether he is found guilty or not, I think his days in Sacramento are numbered.

This is not to do with this particular incident but more so with a number of incidents over his career and in his time here. The hierarchy would be very concerned with the public image Ron is creating for this franchise especially with all the dramas regarding the new arena deal.

This incident was just icing on the cake so to speak. Whether he is charge or not is irrelevant because that will not change people's perception of Ron Artest. Its just human nature.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Thats all well and good BUT IMHO a lot of people here are missing the point. Regardless of whether he is found guilty or not, I think his days in Sacramento are numbered.

This is not to do with this particular incident but more so with a number of incidents over his career and in his time here. The hierarchy would be very concerned with the public image Ron is creating for this franchise especially with all the dramas regarding the new arena deal.

This incident was just icing on the cake so to speak. Whether he is charge or not is irrelevant because that will not change people's perception of Ron Artest. Its just human nature.
I don't think people are mssing the point. I think there are a lot of different points. It's a very confusing and complicated issue...

For some, I'm sure this "incident" might well be the icing on the cake. The problem is that we really don't know much about "the incident."

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm very conflicted about the whole thing. Fighting on the court is one thing. Being involved in ongoing mutual combat with a loved one is something different all-together. I've said it before - Artest is reminding me more and more of some of the great tragic characters of Shakespeare. He's clearly not in control of his life. And who knows? He may never really be in control...

I don't think people are mssing the point. I think there are a lot of different points. It's a very confusing and complicated issue...

For some, I'm sure this "incident" might well be the icing on the cake. The problem is that we really don't know much about "the incident."

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm very conflicted about the whole thing. Fighting on the court is one thing. Being involved in ongoing mutual combat with a loved one is something different all-together. I've said it before - Artest is reminding me more and more of some of the great tragic characters of Shakespeare. He's clearly not in control of his life. And who knows? He may never really be in control...
We know that he was arrested for alleged domestic violence and I think that itself has caused a pretty big PR disaster for the franchise. Thats the point I am trying to make.

Ron has a history of incidents throughout his career and when another one occurs it just burries him and his team deeper and deeper into the proverbial.

Now I am not sure that Kings hierarchy would want a ticking timebomb that has the ability to explode over and over again as part of their team especially in times like these. This little incident couldn't have helped our chances in the new arena negotiations, it just would have harmed them.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I think a) he's still the best player on the Kings; but b) just too much drama, too much work, and you will never NEVER be able to trust him. Furthermore, we've proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that we can lose, and lose ugly with him around. So he's not a magic bullet guy. Accordingly, I think now I would be looking to move him, if he still has any value. Only way I would really want him back is if we were to pul off a KG trade or whatnot where he would clearly be reduced to an unstable second fiddle. Of course that demotion might cause more problems so...

Its not a dump situation. Ron isn't holding this team back from anything special. But it is one where any plan for the future which relies on Ron Artets cna only too obviously be scuttled at any time, no matter how well you have prepared the rest of the field. And that's just not wise or terribly acceptable.

Last edited:
Carolija and VF are both right in many aspects.

I originally posted this poll in response to ALL of Artests antics since he has been here, which is not really long if you think about it. Regardless if he is guilty in any of them or not. The fact is, he has been a huge distraction many, many times now from what we really should be concerned with, and that is our team winning. Not only that, he has a huge resume of team distraction since he has been in the NBA, which definately should be taken into account.

However, some are still not feeling that he has been enough of a distraction and would rather wait until he is actually guilty of something before figuring out a solid opinion of him right now.

There really are no rights or wrongs here in how one feels. I just thought it would be interesting to see where people are right now... and that can change at any moment, given the news that's provided about him that day.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Let's assume that Artest committed no violent acts whatsoever against his wife recently. Let's assume that all he did was defensive in nature - holding her off, for example, and then walking away. And then let's assume that his wife was the offending party. If those assumptions were correct, would I want Artest on my team? No, I would not. Why? Because he's still involved in a household with domestic violence. Just the fact that he still lives with an abusive wife, involves him, his children, and the Kings with domestic violence. He has to take responsibility for living with her. By being in the same household with her he exposes his children to violence and the seediness of it to everybody connected with him, including Kings fans. As a Kings' fan, I'm not interested in waiting for the next incident to occur, whether it is his fault, his wife's, or both.

I've thought for a long time (and his many absences this season has supported it) that it wasn't bringing in Ron that helped this team revitalize itself last year, it was more Bonzi deciding he would try to cash in in the offseason and the lack of Peja, who seemed like he lost whatever intesity he had for the Kings. So minus Peja, the Kings played better, with Bonzi deciding he was an all-star, Kings played better. Artest didn't get in the way of that, and more times than not he enhanced it. This season, its been the same story: he doesn't shut down players like he did last season (i think part of that is playing against lesser competition over summer in summer league and streetball) but he has been playing much better offensively. Couple of domination-type games (like New York) but other than that, your not really taking much away when he is gone. What we need is to see where his value takes us. I do think that him staying on for a long while is going to hamper the development of the kids, but Cisco has benefitted a lot from Artest teaching him on D. We will see I guess.

We know that he was arrested for alleged domestic violence and I think that itself has caused a pretty big PR disaster for the franchise. Thats the point I am trying to make.

Ron has a history of incidents throughout his career and when another one occurs it just burries him and his team deeper and deeper into the proverbial.

Now I am not sure that Kings hierarchy would want a ticking timebomb that has the ability to explode over and over again as part of their team especially in times like these. This little incident couldn't have helped our chances in the new arena negotiations, it just would have harmed them.

Ye exactly....regardless of guilt, Ron is a bad thing for the franchise's image...that's usually enough for most owners to part ways with the player in question

Petrie should've traded him long ago (for Maggette), the Knicks were also interested... now might be a bit late to have some valuable pieces in return for him...but the trade is the best option IMO...

I just want the young guys to get more time. I love Rons passion and D. And it is true that he shuts some pretty big players down including Kobe. This formula is sinking the Kings into mediocreville, and it is time for a change, one way or the other.

It does not even matter to me the outcome of this particular case. It seems that the writing is on the wall. Trade him as soon as GP can get anything of value - packaged with anyone sans Martin.

I am sure I won't be popular for this (not that I am anyhew ;) ), but I would rather leave Ron and Bibby (and sometimes Brad) on the bench and watch Price, Garcia and even Douby get some time.

Last edited:

gunks

Hall of Famer
I wanna see the youngsters play...But now that this team is desperately fighting for the honor of getting embarassed and blown out against the Mavs in the first round, I think the vets will continue to get all the PT.