What are you listening to right now?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
This morning I'm listening to The Floozies. I suppose I'd describe their sound as what might happen if Roger & Zapp got heavy into glitch. I dig them a lot.

I'm surely not the only person here that listens to Hip-Hop...
I love hip hop. However, I'm a fan of less and less new and upcoming mainstream hip hop artists and more of a fan of the 8o's, 90's and modern underground stuff. Lil Wayne, Nicki Minaj and the like just aren't what I would call Hip Hop. Just my opinion though.

But anyways, my brother-in-law recently scored an old Dre record from one of his first gigs as a DJ and a member of the World Class Wreckin' Cru. About fell over when he showed me. Best part was the track went for about 15 min straight.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Don't care what you listen to or post here. The lyrics have to be family-friendly here though. That was what I was addressing.
I am not big on hip hop which is probably an age related problem of mine but some is damn good. Gotta admit it. Good music is good music and the best musicians always catch my attention. The language will keep a lot of it off this forum but the joke is that I think a lot of it is good music no matter what the language. They needn't use some of the magic words that exclude them from this forum.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was listening to one of my favorite hip-hop albums this morning - 2002's"Blazing Arrow" from Sacramento natives (and my fellow Kennedy HS alums) Blackalicious. I'm biased but I think Gift of Gab would make my top ten of best MCs. Here's the title track.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
For those who want to listen to REAL Hip-Hop and not that mainstream crap....look no further. I highly recommend my hip-hop heads listen to this masterpiece and enjoy it! Let me know what you think.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I was listening to one of my favorite hip-hop albums this morning - 2002's"Blazing Arrow" from Sacramento natives (and my fellow Kennedy HS alums) Blackalicious. I'm biased but I think Gift of Gab would make my top ten of best MCs. Here's the title track.

I tried listening to Blackalicious' album but it just didn't do it for me...only song I liked was "Make you feel that way" so jazzy and melodic. Are you a fan of The Roots?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I am not big on hip hop which is probably an age related problem of mine but some is damn good. Gotta admit it. Good music is good music and the best musicians always catch my attention. The language will keep a lot of it off this forum but the joke is that I think a lot of it is good music no matter what the language. They needn't use some of the magic words that exclude them from this forum.
There is PLENTY of good Hip-Hop out there, it doesn't have to be old either. If you need recommendations feel free to ask, I am more than able to provide with quality music!

I'll have to post videos when I have time but lots of new music this week. New albums from Aphex Twin, Carribou, Flying Lotus and Electric Wizard.
all of the above albums are excellent, though Caribou's 'Our Love' has resonated with me the most of that particular bunch. i have to admit that i wish FlyLo would venture away from the full-on jazz aesthetic; i appreciate his affinity for jazz and jazz fusion, but the dynamic, spacey electro-jazz-hop mind-meld of 'Cosmogramma' remains his crowning achievement, in my opinion...