What about Petrie?

Shouldn't his job be on the line? He has done a poor job building around Evans and Cousins, plus were on our third disastrous head coach in only six seasons.

If this turns out the be another lost season, does Petrie deserve another shot?

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Petrie should be on thin ice, but I think Muss and I'm sure Theus were Maloof decisions. However if its true that he is the reason PW survived the offseason and not the Maloofs cash flow issues that point is officially moot.

the issue is how much of his decisions were based on what his coaches want. Its clear that PW wanted salmons and those we brought in early last season ie luther head.

i still feel hes our guy but there really needs to be a healthy disparity between the front office and coaching

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I don't know who is making the decisons I generally think a GM would make. Seems like Westphal has a lot (too much) influence and also the Maloofs.

If we change too many variables at once we'll never know the root of the problem. This team should be able to work with a different coach, a GOOD different coach. If it doesn't, then maybe its time to look for a new GM. IMO Petrie has done a good job so far, especially if the Maloofs are influencing his decisions.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Can Petrie!? No way, he's barely even gotten the wheels moving on this rebuild and I like the talent he's brought on. I think he's doing a great job, next up, find the right coach if Westphal isn't the man for the gig.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I wouldn't want to get rid of Petrie until knowing how much control he as over decisions made. Are these all Petrie moves, or just as much Westy and the Maloofs? I don't know, and therefor can't answer.

Me not wanting Westy is based on things we all see. Firing Petrie would be based on speculation about what goes on behind closed doors. For all we know the maloofs didn't want to spend big, and handicapped Petrie in the FA market, and Petrie also could have brought in Smart thinking Westy wouldn't last the entire season. Who knows?

I love Petrie and think he has done an A+ job captaining this organization, but he has been here a very long time and could probably too well- but this team doesn't play to his strengths as a talent evaluator (though ironically he built it to do so and ended up turning to something else- call it the Tyreke Evans effect). Fresh blood with a different paradigm might be needed to push this team the right way (the same way I think Nolan/Singletary and our old GMs did with the 9ers, but couldn't make them gel).

The problem is whoever the Maloofs replace him with will be a lapdog, and they'll likely run the team into the ground doing their worst Mark Cuban impression.