Well--the Kings ARE a playoff-quality team, YES?!

Any questions?

I have one--why trade Bibby?

If...when the Kings make the playoffs, 'ol Bibs is going to be VERY valuable and totally worth his high $ for his sharp shooting and playoff experience, yes? The Bibs/Beno team is working very well, so I see no reason to trade Bibs--he can help lead the Kings to not only the playoffs, but a chance at the Finals, I think.

Trade Artest, though. We can't let him walk with nothing in return. It would be nice to get a quality PF in exchange...but who? In any case, trade Artest, not Bibby, I say. And have Artest stuff Kenny T into his suitcase when he leaves...

And play Salmons a whole lot more...unless the team is showcasing Artest for building up his trade value. I'd love to see a starting Salmons again, as he's a proven quality player.

Good luck with this thread, Mozart. I think we're definitely in the minority here, hoping for a playoff birth...

I know the main argument is "why make the playoffs if we'll just be 8th place / first round fodder"? Well, we are playing in a conference where just last week, the Lakers were the top seed. The west just isn't as impressive as it has been in years past, and there isn't a single team in the west that I feel will run over the Kings in the playoffs if Sacramento is healthy.

Everyone thought the Spurs would sweep the Kings a few years ago in the playoffs, and we were one lucky Brent Barry shot away from having one hell of a series. Why not keep this team together, healthy, and see what they can do in the playoffs?

And I'm not one of those people who doesn't think about the future, trust me. I'm saying all of this, keeping in mind how much salary we have when K9's ridiculous contract, among others, expire in '09. Why not yield a competitive team in the process?

I am in no way trying to talk crap on those who are all about tanking. I respect your opinion. I just disagree, and really wanna see THIS team do well THIS season.

This is the Nets' 6th loss in a row, they were whumped by 13 points by the hopeless Clips just last saturday.

I'd enjoy the moment and not try to read too much into it.

Suns
Mavs
Spurs
Hornets
Lakers
Blazers
Nuggets
Warriors
Rockets
Jazz

Those are the teams ahead of the kings. 10 teams ahead, and 8 playoff spots, meaning they need to beat out 3 of those to take a spot. The Kings haven't even won a game against a divisional opponent, and are 7-13 against western teams, so even if they manage to tie records for a spot in the top 8, they will lose the tiebreaker matchup.

Something shocking to hear watching nba fastbreak. Greg Anthony predicting the SACRAMENTO KINGS to make the playoffs as his 2nd half prediction! It is pretty cool hearing that considering the past few years.

Good luck with this thread, Mozart. I think we're definitely in the minority here, hoping for a playoff birth...

I know the main argument is "why make the playoffs if we'll just be 8th place / first round fodder"? Well, we are playing in a conference where just last week, the Lakers were the top seed. The west just isn't as impressive as it has been in years past, and there isn't a single team in the west that I feel will run over the Kings in the playoffs if Sacramento is healthy.

Everyone thought the Spurs would sweep the Kings a few years ago in the playoffs, and we were one lucky Brent Barry shot away from having one hell of a series. Why not keep this team together, healthy, and see what they can do in the playoffs?

And I'm not one of those people who doesn't think about the future, trust me. I'm saying all of this, keeping in mind how much salary we have when K9's ridiculous contract, among others, expire in '09. Why not yield a competitive team in the process?

I am in no way trying to talk crap on those who are all about tanking. I respect your opinion. I just disagree, and really wanna see THIS team do well THIS season.
COUNT ME IN!!!! there is NOTHING more fun then playoff basketball at a sold out arco arena!!!!

Suns
Mavs
Spurs
Hornets
Lakers
Blazers
Nuggets
Warriors
Rockets
Jazz

Those are the teams ahead of the kings. 10 teams ahead, and 8 playoff spots, meaning they need to beat out 3 of those to take a spot. The Kings haven't even won a game against a divisional opponent, and are 7-13 against western teams, so even if they manage to tie records for a spot in the top 8, they will lose the tiebreaker matchup.
We've already beaten the jazz, the warriors are the definition of inconsistency, and the rockets are a disappointment this year. Count us in!

We've already beaten the jazz, the warriors are the definition of inconsistency, and the rockets are a disappointment this year. Count us in!
The Kings are at the exact half way point following tomorrows win over the Clips which will have them at 19-22. If they go a minimum of 24-17 the rest of the way they might make 8th spot in the west at 43-39. Probably need 25-16 or 26-15 realistically. Just by winning over 40 games Reggie Theus will be a very serious contender for NBA Coach of the Year.

Not beat them, beat them out. The vast majority of our remaining games are against WC teams, and we need to win over 70% of those to slip into #8. So playing the above list, and beating them very consistently is what it would take.

#8 GS is on track for a 48 win season, so we'd need 49. We're 18-22 now, that means going 31-11 for the rest of the season.

Last edited:
On paper we have a pretty good lineup. And at times they can all play nearly to their potential. Solid starting five (Mikki being the "eh" there) and now a bench that's had a chance to build up some real confidence due to the injuries: Beno, Garcia and Salmons.

However, for some reason I think we're going to have more than a few bumps yet down the road. We're still a fairly poor rebounding and defensive team.

Well, I see the potential. I'd probably still try for a trade were I Geoff, but it'll be interesting to see what this group can do.

Not beat them, beat them out. The vast majority of our remaining games are against WC teams, and we need to win over 70% of those to slip into #8. So playing the above list, and beating them very consistently is what it would take.

#8 GS is on track for a 48 win season, so we'd need 49. We're 18-22 now, that means going 31-11 for the rest of the season.
You're assuming GS keeps winning at the rate they've been winning at in the first half of the season. Don't forget that random winning streak earlier - chances of repeating their first half are slim. Eventually, they'll have to start playing defense.

I think 44 will be enough for 8th. That requires a 26-16 record from here on out. Very do-able.

You're assuming GS keeps winning at the rate they've been winning at in the first half of the season.
Yeah, I am assuming that their 43-game trend is more reliable than our 4-game trend. Not even Miami or Minnesota have been eliminated yet, so you never know. Not that I plan to make any long shot bets on them. :p

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Hey, what the heck... It's fun to be optimistic after your team wins by 34 points. It's certainly more fun than last season.

:)

Well we will see what happens. We have a very soft schedule coming up so things my look better than they really are.
Yeah, it's pretty soft through about the 8th of next month. After that we play Utah, then a 10 game stretch which includes 9 road games, March includes games against Spurs, Suns, Trailblazers, and 2 Lakers games, among other +.500 teams. April gives us repeats of Lakers, Trailblazers and Spurs, along with Denver and some other solid teams. So easy for a while more, then ugly.

Any questions?

If...when the Kings make the playoffs, 'ol Bibs is going to be VERY valuable and totally worth his high $ for his sharp shooting and playoff experience, yes? The Bibs/Beno team is working very well, so I see no reason to trade Bibs--he can help lead the Kings to not only the playoffs, but a chance at the Finals, I think.

Trade Artest, though. We can't let him walk with nothing in return. It would be nice to get a quality PF in exchange...but who? In any case, trade Artest, not Bibby, I say. And have Artest stuff Kenny T into his suitcase when he leaves...

And play Salmons a whole lot more...unless the team is showcasing Artest for building up his trade value. I'd love to see a starting Salmons again, as he's a proven quality player.
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I just have one question: Where was this thread after the Toronto game?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The Toronto game was before three consecutive wins. People are bound to be giddy after a 34 point blowout...

The only way I would want to go into the playoffs with this team is if we magically had a beast of a PF. Teams can get by with one weak PF or C, but not both. We would get abused in the playoffs. So the real question to me is as follows.

What is more valuable?

1. Getting a draft pick in the top 3 is impossible. Those spots are locked down by MIN, MIA and SEA. The next 3 are hard to reach (MEM, NY, LAC). So we would essentially be competing for the 7-14 spot before the lottery, with a slim chance at touching 4-6.

2. We make a push for the 8th seed in the West. The trip is fun. We get bounced by whoever in the first round. The resulting draft pick would be either the 15th or 16th pick. But in addition our younger players that will be with our next contending team get valuable PO experience.

So I ask myself, is this the kind of draft that is worth the higher pick? Or would a mid-range pick suffice, along with PO experience?

Draft Express has us picking Donte Greene with the #9 pick.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Donte-Greene-1066/

Draft Express has DeVon Hardin going at #16 and Kevin Love going at #17...Ibaka could be a sleeper at #14.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2008/

I don't think the higher pick is that much better than the mid-range pick, but I also think that we would be better served overall if we raised the values of Bibby, Artest, etc. and traded them for picks/youth, instead of going for the 8th seed. Heck, we could even get a mid-range pick for one of them. I would even settle on moving KT or SAR. If we make a push for the PO's and fall short, we get the later pick and we are stuck with the vets.

I think we're a good team, and maybe a playoff caliber team with some adjustment. The problem is... the time and schedule. We're somewhat late. And look at our schedule in late February, having 9 road games of 10 games.

It's very difficult to go playoffs, but it's not impossible currently, neither.

I just hope Kings to do their best to win. ;)

Exactly!
There's no reason Y the team can't build around K. Marty-Mar & Grown Man B.I. (Bibby). I won't speak on Mr. Ill-advised (Artest), other than his defense, U just never know w/him on a game-N-game-out basis.
I will admit, the trade Bibby talk has calmed down a little bit on here from alot of members; not that they necessarily feel any diff, but it probably took a seat a little further back N there minds after the 3 recent W's.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I still want everybody traded. Happy?

And I'm happy that you're happy* about the Kings being on a nice little streak and all, but the Kings are still not a playoff quality team; don't let the smooth taste fool you...

* :: is not actually happy that you're happy ::

I think we're a good team, and maybe a playoff caliber team with some adjustment. The problem is... the time and schedule. We're somewhat late. And look at our schedule in late February, having 9 road games of 10 games.

It's very difficult to go playoffs, but it's not impossible currently, neither.

I just hope Kings to do their best to win. ;)
say they go 6-3 on the road and win their home games. That puts us right in the mix of things.

Wed 23 @ LA Clippers 7:30pm KHTK 1140 AM- win
Fri 25 @ Utah 6:00pm KHTK 1140 AM - win
Sun 27 @ Seattle 6:00pm KHTK 1140 AM -win
Wed 30 vs Charlotte 7:00pm KHTK 1140 AM -loss

February
Fri 01 vs New Orleans 7:00pm KHTK 1140 AM -win
Sat 02 vs Chicago 7:00pm KHTK 1140 AM -win
Wed 06 vs Seattle 7:00pm KHTK 1140 AM -win
Fri 08 vs Utah 7:00pm KHTK 1140 AM -loss
Sat 09 @ Golden State 7:30pm KHTK 1140 AM -loss
Tue 12 @ Memphis 5:00pm KHTK 1140 AM -win
Wed 13 @ Houston 5:30pm KHTK 1140 AM -win
Tue 19 @ Portland 7:00pm KHTK 1140 AM -win
Wed 20 vs Atlanta 7:00pm KHTK 1140 AM -win
Fri 22 @ Charlotte 4:00pm KHTK 1140 AM -win
Sun 24 @ Orlando 3:00pm KHTK 1140 AM -loss
Tue 26 @ Miami 4:30pm KHTK 1140 AM -loss
Wed 27 @ Atlanta 4:00pm KHTK 1140 AM -win
Fri 29 @ Dallas 5:30pm KHTK 1140 AM -win

I have them losing to Charlotte and Miami because it seems like those are exactly the kind of teams we would lose to. They beat Utah because they are going to need to, ditto with Houston and Golden State. I have them losing at golden state because our zone probably wont work at all against them.

...but the Kings are still not a playoff quality team; don't let the smooth taste fool you...
Indeed! I think what we're seeing right now is the fruits of a finally healthy team, good coaching, and some overachieving. We still would need to win like 75% of our games to even grab the 8th and final playoff spot, and I doubt VERY seriously we could pull that off. Could we end the season with a mediocre .500 record, or near that??...Perhaps.

Any questions?

I thought this exact thing.

First, (last night) Kenny Thomas was put on the inactive list (very interesting). Second, last night up 31 in the fourth quarter the line up consisted of Douby, Jones, Hawes, Justin W, and RON ARTEST?

That makes no sense at all unless we are trying to showcase Artest!