Webber, O'Brien meet to clear air over

sloter said:
Well, they did only get to the Finals.
LOL!!!!

And if WE (the Kings) met them in the finals that year instead of the Lakers, they would have been blown out then too! And that was under a championship-winning coach! Now they got this O'Brian fool (married to the owner's daughter, dontcha know) they are hopeless and AI is having his best year yet.

Sad, pathetic really.

KingKong said:
Sloter, AI could be at the very pinnacle of his talent, skills or whatever you would like to call it. It still doesn't translate into W's. There is a reason for that.
That's true, but I'm not sure if the things would be any better if the two guys split the shots. But you know what KingKong... it does sound like a problematic situation, and I'm really glad that the Sixers are the ones who have to deal with it.

twodogmac said:
LOL!!!!

And if WE (the Kings) met them in the finals that year instead of the Lakers, they would have been blown out then too! And that was under a championship-winning coach! Now they got this O'Brian fool (married to the owner's daughter, dontcha know) they are hopeless and AI is having his best year yet.

Sad, pathetic really.
We weren't going to meet the Sixers that year. The Lakers were too strong. Perhaps the year after.

Weren't the Sixers the only ones to actually beat the Lakers in a game during those playoffs ? Or maybe they had a total of 2 losses.

sloter said:
That's true, but I'm not sure if the things would be any better if the two guys split the shots. But you know what KingKong... it does sound like a problematic situation, and I'm really glad that the Sixers are the ones who have to deal with it.
Webber is great at creating opportunities for others. I'm not saying that Webber has to split the shots with AI. What Webber has to realise is that he can make AI a much more efficient player. However, Webb has to accept that role.

sloter said:
Weren't the Sixers the only ones to actually beat the Lakers in a game during those playoffs ? Or maybe they had a total of 2 losses.
Yup, up untill that point the Lakers steamrolled every opponent in the playoffs. It's only till the playoffs the year after that the Kings actually challenged them and took them to 7 games.

sloter said:
I remember the Lakers sweeping the Sixers and thinking, that coulda been us, but for bad calls and Robert Horry.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
twodogmac said:
I remember the Lakers sweeping the Sixers and thinking, that coulda been us, but for bad calls and Robert Horry.
It's all coming back to me.

I refused to watch the NBA finals that year.

Webber and Iverson could work really well together. Unfortunately for the 76ers, to do so would probably involve both of them and their coach sacrificing and compromising to find the right solution. Given my limited knowledge of the attitudes of those three, I'm not sure it's likely.

P.S. And, yes, the year the Lakers swept the Kings, Philadelphia was the only team to beat the Lakers in the playoffs. They won game 1.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
KingKong said:
Sloter, AI could be at the very pinnacle of his talent, skills or whatever you would like to call it. It still doesn't translate into W's. There is a reason for that.
This whole thing really is emerging as one more stain on Iverson -- he has run every offensively talented player he has ever had out of town, and now it appears he can't move his game enough to allow Webb to help either. The sad thing is that for Iverson to be Iverson, he actually DOES need to have the ball in his hands most of the time. The only way his attack, attack, attack mentality is really effective is if he is game-long relentless + makes up for his low FG% by putting tremendous pressure on the defense, drawing fouls etc. But the same thing that makes him effective makes it virtually impossible for him to work with any other star level player who does anything but catch and shoot.

What has surprised me so far has been his utter unwillingness here to even TRY to alter his game a bit. I had kind of assumed that he would try to make room, that the Sixers would either be better or worse for it, and that if the team did continue to struggle that then A.I. would start hogging again. But it doesn't even look like Iverson's trying. The ball is his, and the entire rest of the team, regardless of personnel, is just there to serve him/play off him.

Worst part is that they are a very mediocre .500 team in the weakest division in the NBA, and O'Brien actually seems satisfied with the way thigs are being run.

Bricklayer said:
This whole thing really is emerging as one more stain on Iverson -- he has run every offensively talented player he has ever had out of town, and now it appears he can't move his game enough to allow Webb to help either. The sad thing is that for Iverson to be Iverson, he actually DOES need to have the ball in his hands most of the time. The only way his attack, attack, attack mentality is really effective is if he is game-long relentless + makes up for his low FG% by putting tremendous pressure on the defense, drawing fouls etc. But the same thing that makes him effective makes it virtually impossible for him to work with any other star level player who does anything but catch and shoot.

What has surprised me so far has been his utter unwillingness here to even TRY to alter his game a bit. I had kind of assumed that he would try to make room, that the Sixers would either be better or worse for it, and that if the team did continue to struggle that then A.I. would start hogging again. But it doesn't even look like Iverson's trying. The ball is his, and the entire rest of the team, regardless of personnel, is just there to serve him/play off him.

Worst part is that they are a very mediocre .500 team in the weakest division in the NBA, and O'Brien actually seems satisfied with the way thigs are being run.
Outstanding post. I hope you don't mind, I quoted you on the Sixers forum site. Are royalties due? :)

Webber boo-ed by Phili fans as he reentered the game and as he missed a layup. Louder boo's then he ever heard in Sacto. (GS @ Phil 3/8)

piksi

Hall of Famer
Heuge said:
Webber boo-ed by Phili fans as he reentered the game and as he missed a layup. Louder boo's then he ever heard in Sacto. (GS @ Phil 3/8)
It will get worse.

GS playing well - sixers SUCK

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
twodogmac said:
Outstanding post. I hope you don't mind, I quoted you on the Sixers forum site. Are royalties due? :)
Just don't attribute it to me -- I don't troll, and there's no way I would ever walk onto a Sixers forum and trash their star player or coach + I'd rather not do it via proxy either.

piksi said:
Well he is being boo-ed, being beat by GS by 20, he is playing really, really bad, and he is arguing with AI. It has to get a little better for him, right???? What else could be going wrong, outside of season ending injury?

Bricklayer said:
Just don't attribute it to me -- I don't troll, and there's no way I would ever walk onto a Sixers forum and trash their star player or coach + I'd rather not do it via proxy either.
You got it. Here's what one of those guys had to say about your post:

"To me, thats right on. Man thats good. I read it 2x! Its true. They aren't 2 balls are there? He takes prolly 35-40% of their shots or plays on a nite. Which leaves maybe 50 shots for 7-8 other guys. Its not as easy as people make it sound.

He'll need a true PG mentality for the team to succeed. Yet to been seen. He has the ability and talent. Up to him completely. The surrounding cast aren't that great on O. Hes not working ith much to be fair, but they are better than their record suggest I think.

I say the JOB stuff all the time. He thinks hes good and the team is playing well. True again. Hes really touched in the head. I don't know where he gets it. We are good at very little as a team. Forcing TOs is about it...and he'll tell ya how great we are at it. Its funny to listen to him. He preaches his game likes it science. He talks to layman in coach speak trying to imnpress everyone. I hate watching him. Honestly. I cringe."

Sorry, I won't do it again.

* :eek:

Bricklayer said:

Great post, Brick. O'Brien is one of the worst coaches ever (he makes Adelman look like Phil Jackson when PJ was trying). His system in Boston consisted of letting Paul Pierce and Antoine Walker do whatever they wanted (any coach who thinks it's OK to give Walker the green light from 3 is criminally insane). It worked for one season because the EC was historically bad that year (Boston wouldn't have even made the playoffs in the WC during their ECF run), and he continues to ride that one dubious achievement. Iverson is a great talent, but he needs a strong willed coach like Larry Brown (I think Brown often hurts his teams here (witness the Olympic fiasco where he benched LeBron and Amare for no reason while RJ and Odom embarrassed themselves), but with Iverson, you HAVE to have a hard-headed coach) or John Thompson to play up to his potential. With permissive yes-men like OB3, he's a mess (look at his team's success without Brown; oh wait - there isn't any).

piksi

Hall of Famer
Heuge said:
Well he is being boo-ed, being beat by GS by 20, he is playing really, really bad, and he is arguing with AI. It has to get a little better for him, right???? What else could be going wrong, outside of season ending injury?
will it get better ? I see long 2 years for CW unless 76ers can move him somwhere. Playing with AI (12 turnovers tonight) is a cruel punishments probably against human rights

piksi said:
It will get worse.

GS playing well - sixers SUCK
piksi, I thought you would appreciate this Iverson quote: "Obviously, C-Webb sees what's going on and it can only get worse," Iverson said. "It's not his fault. It's all our fault. He'll just have to deal with it."

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Heuge said:
piksi, I thought you would appreciate this Iverson quote: "Obviously, C-Webb sees what's going on and it can only get worse," Iverson said. "It's not his fault. It's all our fault. He'll just have to deal with it."
:eek:

So it's NOT Webber's fault, but it is his fault and he'll just have to deal with it?

I have a headache.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Heuge said:
I never said - it is Webber's fault. I just said that it will get worse.

piksi said:
I never said - it is Webber's fault. I just said that it will get worse.
I know, I just wanted to show you a quote where AI agrees with you. I did not mean to imply that you said it was Webber's fault.