WTF moment(s) of the game?

• Every time that Cousins was bullied on the block

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • You actually watched that garbage all the way through

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • We won!

Votes: 19 51.4%

• Total voters
I dunno about you guys, but I'm a bit concerned after that showing. Samardo and Richards beasted everybody around, making Cousins look like a pouty D-leaguer.

The swingmen were on the ball and Atchley finally impressed. Casspi was on fire again - encouraging, but not enough for me to hop off the Donte bandwagon.

I must call on some others to input some insightful analysis because I gots no time! Thread by committee - See Tetsujin's post below.

==================================================================

Uhhh... I honestly don't know if Donte, Omri, or Cousins will play in this game. The announcers were whispering something about sitting them out to preserve their health.

Here's the Mavs lineup:
http://www.nba.com/summerleague2010/teams/mavericks/index.html

If we come out flat again Roddy will beat us by himself. That dude's like mighty mouse.

In any Case:

GO KINGS!!!

Last edited:
I wonder how much/if any Cousins/Greene/Casspi/(maybe Whiteside) play this game as it has been customary to rest the guys already on your roster the last game of SL.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Well, its been a fun, up-and-down week of Sacramento Kings basketball (sorta). And as a result, I think its time for Stephen's awesome summer league awards. I know you're asking why I'm doing awards for a summer league, but, hey, its summer league for the game thread writers too, and if I don't get the job here, I'm sure some other message board will need my well thought out analysis.;) So without further delay, here they are.
Dun Dun Dun

AWARDS TIME (Note that these are for the entire summer season and not for yesterday alone)
TDM: Bobby Brown is the only former King I remember playing, so Bobby Brown it is.
LW-VC: David Kahn (I think y'all know why)
JHA/Andres Nocioni Award: Sloan (The worst of our dubiously meh summer league guards is the one that's already signed?)
Mikki: Omri for games 1-4
WTF moment:

Okay, so now that that's out of the way, here are the key match-ups for today's game.

Omri versus himself: Will good, controlled Omri prevail or will Chucky prevail?
Whitesides versus his hands: Will he miraculously catch a ball cleanly?
Cousins versus the 3pt Line: Will he resist temptation and work inside?
Cousins versus being tired: Will he collapse from exhaustion?
Cousins versus perception: Will he kill a referee? Will he eat an entire buffet? Will he eat a referee?
Thompson versus standing out: Being a team player is not conducive to being noticed in SL
Sloan versus doing something good: Will he make a good play?
Chism versus Jon Brockman: If the Brocktopus doesn't sign, you can stay.
Our guards versus sucking: Will they manage to redeem themselves?
Kings versus apathy: It's the last game. Will we come out to play?

After this is done, no basketball for two whole months.:(

Go get 'em, Kings.

Last edited:
Something like six games in seven nights = i'm not worried about anyone's performance at this point. Especially those who aren't yet accustomed to such schedules.

Yeah, Boogie's draggin' @@@ and I expected it, but I was a bit put off by the regular season technical foul magnet behavior on display.

Dallas can probably beat us with that collection of guards, since our SL roster has no answer to any of them. We may as well play the guys who aren't making the team.

Jeremy Lin is going to torch us. At least, I hope so. This is an awesome opportunity for him since our guards suck, and his first step is probably too quick for Ryan Thompson.

Last edited:
Jeremy Lin is going to torch us. At least, I hope so. This is an awesome opportunity for him since our guards suck, and his first step is probably too quick for Ryan Thompson.
Jones and Beaubois can torch us, too. I think our only hope for a win is if Dallas rests most of their best players, but this isn't their last SL game, so not much chance of that.

Not that wins or losses in SL games count for anything.

I really like Chism, but not at the expense of Brockman. It seems like Chism is really pressing, so he goes from having a great play followed up by a great big good up. He does seem to have some offensive game, and he is a decent enough defender who can get better eventually. But as is stands right now, Chism looks like a defensive liability who has some game on the offensive side. He does have a good feel for defensive rebounds, but I didn't notice him getting a lot of offensive rebounds. At 6'9" 246 (I dont think he is really that tall, but that is what his bio says...) he is a little undersized for a PF. But so is Brockman, so that is a wash. Brockman is a much better re bounder, which is what the Kings need from that position. I think that Chism needs some seasoning in the D-League before he makes an NBA roster. He does have potential, so I hope the Kings keep his number in case we need another body off the bench, but he is not as tall as you would like at the 4, and since the Kings are moving toward a bigger, tougher front line he the exception. I wish Brockman would have signed and played in the D-League, but I think the problem is the Kings FO, not Brockman. They are angling for a sharp shooting 1 or 2, and Brockman will get paid when they figure out how much they will need to pay the shooter they are looking for. Besides, the Kings know what they have in Brockman, and these other players are the ones who need to prove they have NBA game.

As for the Guards the Kings have invited to the SL, I dont see many of these guards making it even to training camp. None of them have a consistent outside jumper that really wows you. Dionte Christmas G 6-5 205 Temple had had a decent SL game or 2, and he will probably get an invite to camp, but he really isn't the sharp shooter the Kings need. Devan Downey G 5-9 170 South Carolina is very short and very small. He does have some PG skills, but he seems too lite and short to hold up for 82 games. For his height, his skills need to be outstanding to make an NBA roster because on the defensive end he is gonna have trouble guarding the bigger PG's in the league. Imagine Downey trying to guard Tyreke !! Sylven Landesberg G 6-6 207 is an intriguing combo guard that does have a good jumper and some PG skills, but as a rookie his defense is kinda iffy which is to be expected. He is probably going to get an invite to camp. Tyrese Rice G 6-1 190 Boston College is a good player but has not shown the outside jumper that the Kings need. He does have PG skills, so as a backup PG, him and Downey are certainly candidates. Donald Sloan G 6-3 205 was signed to a one year contract mostly because he has a good jumper and a NBA ready physique. He will have a chance in camp to compete against whomever the Kings sign from the veteran free agent bargains that the Kings are looking for. Whoever has the best jumper to hit the wide open shots that Cousins and Evans will create will make the squad most likely. The Kings will not be making a run at the Finals this season, so the team is likely to choose a player who can grow with the team. Ryan Thompson G 6-6 220 Rider is a good player who needs seasoning in the D-League. It would be neat to have brothers on the same team playing, but the Kings are really doing Ryan a favor by giving him exposure for the possibility of another team to see him and maybe sign him. The Kings are looking for a dead eye shooter and Ryan is not that player.

I am really hoping that Petrie is keeping an eye on the Summer League games as well as the free agent and sign and trade possibilities to fill the glaring need we have at the backup 2 spot. Also the Kings have a spot for a backup PG. The Kings are being very careful to look at all their options. I am not worried about Brockman, and the Kings will sign him as soon as the 2 guard situation is resolved. Brockman is a Kings, and the team is just going to have him hold on till they have the 2 guard they need signed and Brockman will get his contract then. With a good 2 guard and a decent backup PG, the Kings will have a very competative team that may win 35-40 games this season and have a shot at the 8th spot in the playoffs. I am excited and cant wait till training camp !! Go Kings !!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Chism is only moderately interesting as a backup -- knows what he's doing and could be solid but doesn't loook like an impact diamond in the rough or anything -- and Atchley just sucks, so I really don't see much reason not to trot out the drafted rookies frontline one last time and try to give Cousins a chance to redeem himself, for a half at least.

Probably not much point with Donte and Omri however, although given that they were always supposed ot split all the SL SF minutes there's really nobody to take their places.

Ask me if I care about anyone else's minutes.

Chism is only moderately interesting as a backup -- knows what he's doing and could be solid but doesn't loook like an impact diamond in the rough or anything -- and Atchley just sucks, so I really don't see much reason not to trot out the drafted rookies frontline one last time and try to give Cousins a chance to redeem himself, for a half at least.

Probably not much point with Donte and Omri however, although given that they were always supposed ot split all the SL SF minutes there's really nobody to take their places.

Ask me if I care about anyone else's minutes.

Do you care about anyone else's minutes?

Entity

Hall of Famer
when you have been acustomed to playing 1 maybe 2 games a week then you go over 3 months without playing any games and all of a sudden you play 6 games in 7 days some being less than 24 hours apart it tends to ware you down a little i'd imagine.

Casspi is in sreet clothes. Won't be playing today. Guess they wanna give Ryan Thompson some extra burn. (to shut down Lin of course.)

I'm looking forward to seeing Jeremy Lin play. He had some nice plays on both ends of the court against Wall when the Mavs played the Wizards (or he was killing Wall if you want to overhype it). He might end up just being another borderline NBA player. He does play with that young Bobby Jackson never give up on a play type game but suffers from combo-guard-itis. Can't believe I just read that he might be the first Asian-American player in NBA history, that seems unusual to me.

Last edited: