Vlade retires...or maybe not

piksi

Hall of Famer
http://www.fibaeurope.com/Default.asp?coid={83DB6648-9B08-4DC7-BD35-419D2B9FAFA1}&articleMode=on

There are also other sources but this one is in english.

EDITED to add article:

Serbia & Montenegro: Divac Retires

14 July 2005

Serbo-Montenegrin great Vlade Divac has announced he is to retire from the game because of a persistent back injury.

Divac planned to finish his career back in his homeland with Partizan Belgrade, the club he left to join the LA Lakers in 1989, but any hopes of an emotional return now appear to have been dashed.

The 37-year-old center, who signed a extended contract with the Lakers last summer, underwent back surgery six months ago and played only 15 games last season, averaging just 2.3 points and 2.1 rebounds.

"My back is causing me a lot of problems," he admitted.

"At the moment I don't feel pain, but after four of five days of playing I feel it a lot.

"There is just a 50-50 chance for me to be fully recovered for the new season."

He added: "I had talks with the club management but the final decision was left to me.

"I've had a wish for years to finish my career in Partizan, but my current health leaves almost no chance for me to play in Partizan or for the Lakers.

"I'll stay in LA for one more year though, as my kids are finishing school here."

Divac made his debut for the Yugoslavia national team in 1986 and won two gold medals at World Championships in 1990 and 2002.

Last edited by a moderator:

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
This makes me sad.

1. Vlade did not retire as a Sacramento King
2. Vlade is in enough pain that he must retire (not a good way to go out)
3. Vlade is having to retire at all

It reminds me of an old saying...

All good things must come to an end.

I really really really enjoyed watching Vlade Divac play the game of basketball. I can only offer best wishes to him in his future, whatever that may be.

I just hope he can get healed-up and enjoy the rest of his many, many days healthy and happy. He certainly made a lot of NBA fans happy during his playing days, I hope his life overflows with happiness and joy in turn.

Absolutely !!!

Good luck Vlade-da !!!

Get out while you can still move and play with your kids and grandkids (they'll be coming shortly) ... WITHOUT ANY PAIN.

6th said:
This makes me sad.

1. Vlade did not retire as a Sacramento King
To me he did retire a King, in every sense of the word. I wish Vlade well and hope the Kings offer him a position in the front office.:)

I really wanted to see him play more as a Lakers, wierd as that may sound. It would've been interesting and odd to see him go in the post and pound us with his patented left, right, up and under move. I was interested in seeing how Webber and Miller would react to it, but he never did get the chance.

I hope he takes a few years off, and if he still wants to get involved with coaching, then come back; just not now.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I wish Vlade well in whatever he chooses to do. I hope he'll maintain some kind of contact with Sacramento and all the people who have come to love him over the years.

For some reason, actually seeing this in print really puts the nail in the coffin - at least for me - for the end of the era that brought us so much excitement and happiness.

Thanks, Vlade!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Note: I've moved this to the main forum. Vlade may not be retiring as a King but I think the announcement of his retirement is Kings news nonetheless...

Vlade Vlade Vlade !

Maybe one day we'll see his jersey in the rafters at Arco. He was what inspired a passion for Kings basketball in me. A great career for a player with an even greater heart. Thank you Vlade.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Stojakovic said:
Maybe one day we'll see his jersey in the rafters at Arco.
I agree and I hope they do it sooner rather than later...

Now that he's retiring, a nice big "thank you" from the Kings and the fans would be a nice thing to do... and something I think the vast majority of Kings fans would be able to agree about.

:D

Vlade was a true King, and my favorite basketball player. I can't wait for the day when #21 and #4 hang side by side in the Arco rafters.

Aww Vlade. :( I'm greatly thankful for all those years. He intensified my love for Kings basketball and he's definitely one of my favorite players to ever don a Kings jersey.. He might be retiring (and as a member of a different team), but he'll always be a King to me.

Thank you, Vlade!

O

ONEZERO

i wish we could see #4 and #21 hung side by side together too, and what i really wish for would be a championship banner up there too**cough** 2002 **cough**

piksi said:
http://www.fibaeurope.com/Default.asp?coid={83DB6648-9B08-4DC7-BD35-419D2B9FAFA1}&articleMode=on

Divac planned to finish his career back in his homeland with Partizan Belgrade, the club he left to join the LA Lakers in 1989, but any hopes of an emotional return now appear to have been dashed.:( :( :(

that sad can not even play for his home team (that back hurts).
sabonis did wish VLADE will do that too.:(

VLADE RAISE YOUR KIDS STAY COOL AND REMEMBER SACRAMENT IS YOUR HOMETOWN AS BELGRAD

Vlade has been my all time favourite for as long as I can remember. He has been an icon in Serbian basketball an its is truely sad to see his career end on a note like this.

Just yesterday, I watched Yugoslavia Vs Greece (1989 Eurobasket Final) and got really nostalgic seeing the great man doing what he does best. He might not have retired a King but to me he will always be a King.

Thanks you Vlade for all the memories you have given me over the decades. Where ever you have gone, you have touched people in so many ways. Not only were you a player of enourmous heart, leadership ability and sublime skill but just as importantly you are a great human being. I always hoped to see you win NBA championship and finish your decorated career in Pionir where it all started but it wasn't to be.

You may have retired but you will never be forgoten :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I just sent the following email to the Sacramento Kings:

I'm writing to request that the Kings seriously consider retiring the number #21 from use.

With Vlade's announcement of retirement, a chapter in not only Kings history but NBA international history has closed.

Vlade Divac brought something to our team that we had never experienced before. He was a true King in every sense of the word, on and off the court. It was in great part due to his presence that we, the fans, got to experience what it felt like to rise from the depths to the rarified air of the WCF.

Vlade needs to be honored for his accomplishments and for what he brought to our city, our team, and all of us.

I don't know what it takes to actually get a number retired from use, but if anyone deserves to be in those rafters along with those others, it's Vlade.

Please give this every consideration.

Sincerely,
(my name)
A Kings fan since 1985
I hope they take it seriously.

VF21 said:
I just sent the following email to the Sacramento Kings:

I hope they take it seriously.
Good job VF, I'm sure that will count for something. Although you might've used the threat of poof dust to light a fire under 'em. That does work in real life, right?
~~

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Alacron said:
Although you might've used the threat of poof dust to light a fire under 'em. That does work in real life, right?
~~
Poof dust at a distance becomes unstable. I might accidentally poof all of Arco, and that probably wouldn't be good...

;)