Tyreke Evans - sprained left ankle, listed as day-to-day

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
He had one of those things last year as well, if I recall correctly. He is a warrior, he will be just fine, he just not play anymore in this preseason, that's for sure.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
6 days until the next preseason game, so plenty of time to heal. Might want to watch the tapes of this one while he's at it. Looked ragged for much of it.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
It didn't look bad to me, and it looked like he motioned to Westphal not to take him out. I'm sure it's more cautionary than anything else. Might take a day or two off from practice.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Seems to happen a lot though...

Maybe he should get like... Forest Gump braces on his ankles for support or something

Whatever happened to the brace that he was going to wear every game? I know he said he was getting used to it and then it just disappeared.

All indication point to this being a recurring injury throughout his career, so hopefully he doesn't have anything more serious come from it i.e. favoring his other ankle and/or overcompensating when playing through it. Or always having it in the back of his (our) minds.

The Bee this morning says he sprained both ankles. It was a sprained ankle that kept if off team USA, too.

"I turned this one on a fast break on (Lakers guard) Steve Blake, and I twisted it," Evans said, pointing to his right ankle. "On the next one, I came down on (Lakers center) Theo Ratliff and twisted it. The left one hurts more."

Earlier in the game, Kings forward Darnell Jackson left after the first quarter to have his right ankle re-taped but managed to return. But he sat out near the end of the game with ice on his ankle.

Evans acknowledged that sprained ankles happen in basketball, but he's disappointed he has had so many.

"For me, it seems like it happens all the time," Evans said. "The way I play, I get to the basket."

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2010/10/14/3103248/evans-sprains-ankle-in-kings-loss.html#ixzz12Lf9f8DI

Bricklayer

Tyreke Evans the next Grant Hill. Chronic ankle injuries.
Grant Hill's legs were fine until the freaky broken leg. Nothing to do with sprains.

Webb used to hve that problem for us though. But he was older and had some wear and tear by the time it was becoming an issue. Reke needs to jsut bite the bullet and start wearing ankle braces full time. Won't actualy prevent all sprains, but might help. When you unleash ankle breaking moves on the basketball court you're supposed ot be breaking the OTHER guy's ankles, not your own.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Let's just hope all these ankle sprains he keeps getting doesn't end up biting him in the rear end later down the road or hell, one of these upcoming seasons.

Grant Hill's legs were fine until the freaky broken leg. Nothing to do with sprains.

Webb used to hve that problem for us though. But he was older and had some wear and tear by the time it was becoming an issue. Reke needs to jsut bite the bullet and start wearing ankle braces full time. Won't actualy prevent all sprains, but might help. When you unleash ankle breaking moves on the basketball court you're supposed ot be breaking the OTHER guy's ankles, not your own.
Wrong. He had a bad ankle and decided to play on it in the playoffs for the pistons. It took several operations (years) before he was able to play.

Bricklayer

Wrong. He had a bad ankle and decided to play on it in the playoffs for the pistons. It took several operations (years) before he was able to play.
THe "bad ankle" was a misdiagnosed stress fracture or some sort of thing like that. Or a sprained ankle that turned into one. I forget the deal, it was weird. But the fracture took him down, not the sprain. And this happened to one fo the league's ironmen at the time (missed 5 games in the previous 5 years). One time freak incident. Little to do wiht somebody with a history of sprianing them.

THe "bad ankle" was a misdiagnosed stress fracture or some sort of thing like that. Or a sprained ankle that turned into one. I forget the deal, it was weird. But the fracture took him down, not the sprain. And this happened to one fo the league's ironmen at the time (missed 5 games in the previous 5 years). One time freak incident. Little to do wiht somebody with a history of sprianing them.
Nope. The fracture thing was 3 years after.

From wiki:

On April 15, 2000, 7 days before the start of the playoffs, Hill sprained his left ankle in a game against the Philadelphia 76ers. Despite his hurting ankle, Hill was bothered by being labeled "soft" by some Pistons fans and thus decided to play against the first round opponent, Miami Heat. However, his injured ankle got worse and Hill was forced to leave halfway through game 2. Eventually, the Heat swept the Pistons 3–0. Hill was initially selected for the 2000 Summer Olympics U.S. team, but could not play due to his ankle injury, which would prove to be a major liability for many years to come.
But Hill had been hampered by ankle injuries ever since his arrival in Orlando, playing in only four games in his first season with the Magic, 14 games in his second and 29 in his third. He was forced to sit out his entire fourth year with Orlando (2003–04). Meanwhile, the Pistons, who had defeated the Magic in the 2003 Playoffs but ended up losing to the New Jersey Nets in Eastern Conference Finals, won the championship the following year in 2004.

In March 2003, Hill underwent a major surgical procedure in which doctors re-fractured his ankle and realigned it with his leg bone. Five days after the surgery was performed, Hill developed a 104.5 °F (40.3 °C) fever and convulsions. He was rushed to a hospital. Doctors removed the splint around his ankle and discovered that Hill had contracted a potentially fatal methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infection. He was hospitalized for a week and had to take intravenous antibiotics for six months.

The 2004–05 season saw a return to the old Grant Hill, who was so popular earlier in his career. Hill, though hampered by a bruised left shin that caused him to miss several games, started and played 67 games for the Magic, well over the combined amount of games he played for the Magic the previous four seasons. He was named the Eastern Conference player of the week for the week between November 15–21, 2004. Over the season, Hill averaged 19.7 points per game on a .509 field goal percentage. Fans voted him an All-Star starter again, and he led the Eastern Conference All-Star Team to a victory over the West. In addition, at the conclusion of the season, Hill was awarded the Joe Dumars Trophy presented to the NBA Sportsmanship Award Winner.

During the 2005–06 season, Hill was once again injured frequently as nagging groin injuries kept him sidelined for much of the first half of the season, limiting him to 21 games. He got a sports hernia that was caused by an uneven pressure on Hill's feet while he was running, due to concerns that he could re-aggravate the injury on his left ankle if it got too much pressure. Hill underwent surgery for the hernia and has since stated that he would consider retirement if he has to get another surgery.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
According to the New York Times, chronic bad ankles are caused by bad balance and there's a simple exercise to fix... read it
Don't know about the Times article, but from experience I do know that some people are more prone to sprained ankles than others. On a personal level I was Mr. Elastic man. I don't think I could have sprained my ankle if I wanted to. I turned it completely sideways in the out field many times with no damage at all. However my son and daughter are both very prone to sprained ankles. Especially my daughter. This I do know. They can become chronic. Once someone sprains and ankle, its easier to sprain it a second time or a third time etc. So I do think its something the Kings should be concerned about. Ankle braces would certainly be a good idea.

I'm not sure if there are any particular exercises that one can do to strengthen the area, but if there are I would be doing them.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
They can become chronic. Once someone sprains and ankle, its easier to sprain it a second time or a third time etc. So I do think its something the Kings should be concerned about. Ankle braces would certainly be a good idea.

I'm not sure if there are any particular exercises that one can do to strengthen the area, but if there are I would be doing them.
Grant was saying on Sportsline that Tyreke does wear braces; he saw Tyreke take off his shoe, brace, and sock after one of the preseason games. Said he didn't tape his ankles, though....

Not sure which game, but I assume it was one of the last two because I just heard that a couple days ago.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I wonder if maybe Reke is getting too big for his playstyle? Lotta contorting on those drives to the hoop. I mean, its fun to have a 230 lbs PG, but I think it would be more fun to have a 210 lbs healthy PG.

....Idle musing.

Nope. The fracture thing was 3 years after.

From wiki:
No. There was a fracture in 2000. That's why your story points out that they "re-fractured" the ankle in Orlando.

Grant was told, it's just a spain, you can't make it any worse and it's up to you if you play. The damage he did to that leg - by playing on the fracture - killed what should have been an amazing career.

McHale knew that his ankle was jacked, but he was never the same player after the 87 playoffs with a broken foot.

That's not the issue here, but gutting it on an bad ankle not always a good idea.

PS - not sure that dropping wiki cite really counts as strong evidence. I'm pretty sure I read that brick is the chief justice of the NY Courts of Appeal there. Also, I bummed to find out that I'm not actually the King of Guam.

Bricklayer

So is Tyreke playing against the Clippers?
Could have sworn an article testerday said he and Beno were back practicing. but now this one says he and DeMarcus watching because of ankles meant they couldn't go 5 on 5 any more (what, can't just have one of our various ex-NBAers on the staff/front office suit up for one practice?).

Via Tyreke's Twitter "Wheels up bout to take off shortly off to LA for a preseason game against the Clippers tomorrow! To all fans across da world ma ankle is ok!"

Last edited:
Awesome news. Hopefully I get to witness Reke tear it up against the Clippers.. yes I know, poor choice of words but they've already been typed.

Via Tyreke's Twitter "Wheels up bout to take off shortly off to LA for a preseason game against the Clippers tomorrow! To all fans across da world ma ankle is ok!"
Something about this doesn't make a lot of sense. Oh yea, if the wheels where already up, they would have already have taken off. Unless they intend to slide across the tarmac on takeoff. Sure that is not what he meant. I guess Wheels up is just a phrase now, it dont mean actual wheels up, but that they are at the airport ready to takeoff.

Last edited: