Tyreke as PG a cover up?

Everyone keeps talking about Evans being a PG. Evans needs to pass more. Evans needs to do this. Do that. Because he's our PG. I honestly do not think that the kings drafted Evans because they wanted a PG(regardless of what they may say). I think they saw potential in him to become a Lebron or Wade type playmaker. They said PG because they could not start a rift between Kevin and the front office and with the fanbase as well. I think they were just being politically correct. They thought, 'well heck, Evans is the best prospect available and we have to draft him! Let's just tell everyone we want him to be our PG'. But I think they already had an agenda. They want Evans to be our LBJ or Wade and will figure out the rest later. Who else agrees with me? To be quite honest I don't really know if I got my message across as good as I hoped ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think you're trying to read way more into the situation than is there. The tag "PG" doesn't really mean that much, especially in today's NBA. They can call him power guard as far as I'm concerned. A name is just a name...

;)

If basketball positions were named after donuts then Tyreke's position would be "glazed with sprinkles" and not "powdered with nuts".

Does that point help the position battle?

He will be our PG on the floor. He really is not doing too bad considering his age... He's a scorer no.1 though I will agree. Think the front office see's someone with the size to punish smaller guards but with enough speed and length to guard anyone in the league.

He's a walking mismatch on the court.

Haha that's the thing. I'm not a 'positions' guy. Did my post make me come off as one? Tyreke is our playmaker regardless of where he's positioned on the court. But there's some people on here jibbering and jabbering about tyreke not doing a good job with his 'PG' duties. Catch my drift? :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Haha that's the thing. I'm not a 'positions' guy. Did my post make me come off as one? Tyreke is our playmaker regardless of where he's positioned on the court. But there's some people on here jibbering and jabbering about tyreke not doing a good job with his 'PG' duties. Catch my drift? :)
Ahhhh. "I see," said the blind man.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Whatever you call him, he'll be the primary ball handler and creator.

This is the key point. Or one of them.

1) Tyreke does not know how to play without the ball. Watch what happens when Beno/Sergio decides to dribble the other way and play keepaway. Don't watch Beno/Sergio. Watch Tyreke. Regardless of his creative abilities, what happens there is the exact same thing that happens when somebody takes the ball away from CP3. They stop. They are the ballhandlers, everything they do is centered around having the ball. When somebody else takes it, they become inert. Tyreke is a PG.

2) One of the thigns that excited us about Tyrkee was the absolute 100% impossibility of any PG in the league being able to guard him. That is solid gold. The very best thing you can have in basketball -- a player that cannot be guarded. Who was on him against Cleveland? Lebron James -- the world's best SF. Who was on him against L.A.? Kobe Bryant -- the world's best OG. When he got Mo Williams he torched him. Against L.A. he really didn't torch anybody, but I'm going to chalk that up to an offgame. We drafted him to be a PG. And our offense has hummed right along with him as a PG. Teh constant doubleteams he draws and pressure he puts upon the defense have more than made up for being maybe 2 assists shy of being called a "true PG".

3) regarding Kevin/the OG -- its hard to tell exactly where the organization stands on the Kevin question right now, but I think the appropriate OG on our roster is Francisco Garcia. The SF is Donte Greene. The 6th man is Omri Casspi. Hustlers/scrappers/shooters all, with some ballhandling help form Cisco. NEITHER Kevin nor Reke is the guy at SG to make this work.

Last edited:

Entity

Hall of Famer

1) Tyreke does not know how to play without the ball. Watch what happens when Beno/Sergio decides to dribble the other way and play keepaway. Don't watch Beno/Sergio. Watch Tyreke. Regardless of his creative abilities, what happens there is the exact same thing that happens when somebody takes the ball away from CP3. They stop. They are the ballhandlers, everything they do is centered around having the ball. When somebody else takes it, they become inert. Tyreke is a PG.

2) One of the thigns that excited us about Tyrkee was the absolute 100% impossibility of any PG in the league being able to guard him. That is solid gold. The very best thing you can have in basketball -- a player that cannot be guarded. Who was on him against Cleveland? Lebron James -- the world's best SF. Who was on him against L.A.? Kobe Bryant -- the world's best OG. When he got Mo Williams he torched him. Against L.A. he really didn't torch anybody, but I'm going to chalk that up to an offgame. We drafted him to be a PG. And our offense has hummed right along with him as a PG. Teh constant doubleteams he draws and pressure he puts upon the defense have more than made up for being maybe 2 assists shy of being called a "true PG".

3) regarding Kevin/the OG -- its hard to tell exactly where the organization stands on the Kevin question right now, but I think the appropriate OG on our roster is Francisco Garcia. The SF is Donte Greene. The 6th man is Omri Casspi. Hustlers/scrappers/shooters all, with some ballhandling help form Cisco. NEITHER Kevin nor Reke is the guy at SG to make this work.
I agree but with Cisco you are only garunteed like 7 games a year. Martin & Cisco have beceom incrediably injury prone the last 2 years. Could be from all the workload being put on Martin. Not sure about Cisco. Just alot of freak accidents with him.

Green has really impressed me this year. His defense is getting better each game as well as his decision making. He should work on ball handling.

A

AriesMar27

Everyone keeps talking about Evans being a PG. Evans needs to pass more. Evans needs to do this. Do that. Because he's our PG. I honestly do not think that the kings drafted Evans because they wanted a PG(regardless of what they may say). I think they saw potential in him to become a Lebron or Wade type playmaker. They said PG because they could not start a rift between Kevin and the front office and with the fanbase as well. I think they were just being politically correct. They thought, 'well heck, Evans is the best prospect available and we have to draft him! Let's just tell everyone we want him to be our PG'. But I think they already had an agenda. They want Evans to be our LBJ or Wade and will figure out the rest later. Who else agrees with me? To be quite honest I don't really know if I got my message across as good as I hoped ;)

i said it a week or so ago that tyreke playing pg is a gimmick. its almost as if they arent playing him at pg but merely forcing him to be guarded by a pg by playing greene and casspi at sg. thinking that he will always have that mismatch is foolish and it makes us really easy to beat if you just put the opposing sg or sf on him. greene and casspi arent good enough yet to take advantage of the mismatch and the coaches of the sub .500 teams are too affraid of losing their jobs if they try it. they can live with evans beating them because he is a good player. but if greene lights them up for 30 because they had a 6'1 pg on him, they will lose their job.

i would hope that evans and martin can play together but that would take some maturity from evans to learn that he has to run the offense and not run over the opposing pg with his offense. we all know what martin will do, he can play without the ball, he wont be an issue. but the stagnant offense will fall in the hands of our pg, though martins return will be blamed for our shortcomings.

this isnt an attack on tyreke, just my view of how this will all go down. i'll be back... :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Like others, I don't give a crap what you call him. And like Brick I'm a heck of a lot more intrigued by the Evans/Cisco/Greene lineup than Kevin coming back and figuring out where he gets his 30 points from. And I don't care what position those guys get labeled as either because there will be mismatches all over the court... well except inside but we'll work on that one next.

If you look at articles that have come out the last couple of days the organization has made it clear that they believe in the Tyrke and Martin back court. I'm not saying I agree ot disagree, I'm just saying the statements have been made. And, I'm also excited to see the possibility that exists. The only reasons mentioned as speculation as to why Martin would be moved is if AFTER they had time to observe the back court in action that there was a complete break down of team chemistry. Barring that, Martin isn't going anywhere.

I, for right now, agree with them. People can quote statistics historically about how this scorer, and that scorer never worked in the back court together, but those are statistics and they look pretty on paper. I want to see real life in motion before I make my decision. After all, Eric Musselman was a stats guy to, and that didn't work out so well did it?

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
The organization spent 3 years selling Martin as the face of the franchise so of course they are still publically high on him.

Like others, I don't give a crap what you call him. And like Brick I'm a heck of a lot more intrigued by the Evans/Cisco/Greene lineup than Kevin coming back and figuring out where he gets his 30 points from. And I don't care what position those guys get labeled as either because there will be mismatches all over the court... well except inside but we'll work on that one next.
Sure, why would we want to add 30 points to our offense? :rolleyes:

It's not like we'd be taking 30 away from anyone else.

As for Kevin not wanting Tyreke here, Kevin was one of Tyreke's biggest supporters at draft and practically begged Petrie to draft him.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
As for Kevin not wanting Tyreke here, Kevin was one of Tyreke's biggest supporters at draft and practically begged Petrie to draft him.
And I, for one, hope it works. But I'm also not the only one a little apprehensive.

I totally believe that Martin lobbied to get Evans but, every time I hear that, I can't help but think of the Cavaliers: IIRC, there were credible reports at the time that claimed that Ricky Davis thought that they drafted LeBron James to compliment him. :eek:

So, yeah, Martin probably did lobby for Evans, but what if he wanted Evans because he wanted Evans to be his sidekick?

Sure, why would we want to add 30 points to our offense? :rolleyes:

It's not like we'd be taking 30 away from anyone else.

Martin's minutes have to come from somewhere. Dealing Nocioni would make me feel better about where the minutes are coming from.

And I, for one, hope it works. But I'm also not the only one a little apprehensive.

I totally believe that Martin lobbied to get Evans but, every time I hear that, I can't help but think of the Cavaliers: IIRC, there were credible reports at the time that claimed that Ricky Davis thought that they drafted LeBron James to compliment him. :eek:

So, yeah, Martin probably did lobby for Evans, but what if he wanted Evans because he wanted Evans to be his sidekick?
I never got the impression Martin wanted to be "the" guy. I think he felt they would make a good "team".

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
You don't have to deal anyone. Noc's minutes have already been shorter recently.
But that doesn't mean there are empty minutes now. Martin's return WILL have an impact on everyone else's minutes. Since Noc's minutes are shrinking, the only other guess would be that Greene/Casspi's minutes will be reduced. Oh, and Beno's as well.

But that doesn't mean there are empty minutes now. Martin's return WILL have an impact on everyone else's minutes. Since Noc's minutes are shrinking, the only other guess would be that Greene/Casspi's minutes will be reduced. Oh, and Beno's as well.
If it were Adelman's limited rotations, maybe. But Westphaul has more players in his rotation.

When Martin returns, we'll probably see a lot less of Sergio. Casspi and Greene will get close to the same minutes at SF and sometimes Greene at PF. It's when Garcia comes back that we may see less of Casspi and Greene.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I never got the impression Martin wanted to be "the" guy. I think he felt they would make a good "team".
And, as I said before, I hope that's true. But a 25ppg scorer does not resonate with me as someone whom will happily accept a lesser role. I'd be quite happy to be proven wrong.

I don't worry about the offense so much with either Kevin or Cisco teamed with Reke. The opponents defense is still going to focus on him no matter what SG is out there. They are going to get some open looks. On defense is where I would love to see Cisco play with Evans. They are both pretty interchangable and disruptive on defense.