Ty Lawson

I agree with you too, I look at results when it comes to Vlade. I don't care who doesn't want to come here, who we asks, nobody wants to sign here blah blah blah. Vlade gets paid serious $$ to make it happen. It is his job to figure it out. If he cannot convince a good FA to come here then he better figure it out in trades, which he clearly hasn't yet.
That's similar to hating on a little league team for not winning the major league world series. It wasn't possible, so why are we holding it against them?

You simply just haven't seen Afflalo play in the last few years. He hasn't been a stopper on D for 3 years, and he's gotten increasingly more selfish as he's gotten older. He's a far different player from when he was one of the top 3-D players with the Nuggets 5 years ago.

He's an upgrade to what we've had the last few seasons, but he's very much a stop-gap option till Bogdan hopefully takes over full-time.
Well this guy was Orlando's best player in 2012-2014. So that's not like 5 years ago if you know what I mean. This is the guy was part of the Bynum-Howard-Iggy-Affalo four team trade and you don't get there for nothing. Teams were trying to temper his game to cut his cost in the market. His Knicks days is his worst, probably, But that was a 1 year deal. And if you get sandwich between Carmelo and Calderon on the wings, Melo will take all your shots and Calderon will make you defend 2 players on the backcourt. LOL
You said it yourself, he is an upgrade to any of our SG the past seasons. And people here were crying like if only Ben can play with more consistency and less idiocy we could have won 10 more games. So now you have a guy, we should easily get to win 8 more games at least with the Affalo signing. The rest could add up to possibly a 40+ wins and get us to playoffs where Boogie hasn't been in his career.

Then people will start saying, but we can't get ring with that. Playoffs is nothing!......... Well whatever.

Lawson posted a quick video on his Instagram of "getting his bounce back" with a nice jam in a pick-up game....so this is cause for optimism that he is returning to form after his precipitous decline ..... I think Willie may have something to say about his choice of jersey number however....

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJwdWdgju_K/?taken-by=tylawson3&hl=en

If Lawson really is getting his bounce back, he will be a difference maker for the kings.

I have watched his 2015 highlights and he has pretty good court vision and can get to the rim with ease. He was dropping assists in the lane, that I can't see DC making, cutting to the rim.

I think his issue was more mental than physical last year and he also played with ball dominant wings, so he needs the ball in his hands to be effective.

If his defense can be average to good, I can see him starting over DC in the season.

I predict that Lawson will be a top candidate for comeback player of the year. :D

Make no mistake. This is a risky signing for us but then again so was Rondo in a way. I feel the risk factor is obviously reflected in the deal that we gave Lawson (veteran minimum) and the fact that it is non-guaranteed.

What this tells me is that we as an organization have some genuine question marks about Lawson that we are hoping do not turn into issues.

Hopefully, he can do a Rondo and resurrect his NBA career in Sacramento. If he can do that it will work out great for both teams. Given that Lawson jumped at the non-guaranteed veteran minimum deal with us suggests to me that there was barely any interest in him. Hopefully this is a wake up call for him and that he gets back to what he was with Denver. A very good PG in the NBA.

If Lawson really is getting his bounce back, he will be a difference maker for the kings.

I have watched his 2015 highlights and he has pretty good court vision and can get to the rim with ease. He was dropping assists in the lane, that I can't see DC making, cutting to the rim.

I think his issue was more mental than physical last year and he also played with ball dominant wings, so he needs the ball in his hands to be effective.

If his defense can be average to good, I can see him starting over DC in the season.

I predict that Lawson will be a top candidate for comeback player of the year. :D
Make no mistake, whrn lawson is right, hes a flat out awesome offensive player both scoring and playmaking. Thats a huge question mark though and the off court issues cant overweigh his production

Look, I like Courtney Lee as much as you do, and apparently the Kings did as well. The hot rumor was that Lee was at the top of Vlade's list. At the end of the day, what Lee's camp wanted, or even if he didn't want to come to Sacramento, Vlade went in another direction, and I have to assume that he had good reasons to do so. I can name quite a few players that I wanted, but didn't get. As they say, and you admitted, it takes two to tango. Vlade isn't going to come out and make his negotiations public.

To me it's obvious that Vlade, and probably Joerger have a long range plan, and part of that plan is not to make any long range commitments to players that might be nothing more than filler or borderline players of need. If you have a plan for the future, and you have certain players, or types of players your looking for to accomplish that plan, then you fill in the gaps temporally until you can acquire those players. The freeagent market next offseason is a far better one, and fewer teams will have the money to participate. The Kings are one of the teams that can.

I know those that want to win the championship this coming season (OK I exaggerate a bit) will disappointed with that scenario, and I get that. But if ten years ago, there were needed changes that had to take place that would have taken time to accomplish, and ten years later, those same things need to be done, your still starting from the same gate you would have ten years ago. And that's not Vlade's fault, just his problem. I'm not seeing any knee jerk reactions coming out of the Kings camp this time around. They appear to be thoughtful. If they can't get the player they want, then they're making temporary moves, instead of waving money at the next best freeagent that may not fit, or over paying long term for a second choice player.

They've abandoned the win now mode and replaced it with the build now for the future mode, and while that's not what people want to hear, it's a smart move, and a move that should have been made years ago. Instead, we've tried to make one move after the other, a lot of them for the wrong reasons (thank you Maloofs), but mostly with the idea of winning next season. When you look back at the players we could have drafted but didn't, our plight has nothing to do with bad luck, but with stupidity. Had we drafted a Lillard or a Klay Thompson, or Kawhi Leonard, I think we might have a better record, and Cousins would be perceived in a different light. Had we drafted wisely, Lillard and C. J. McCollum along with Leonard could be in our starting lineup. That's a playoff team folks!

But that's history, and sadly, were basically starting from scratch with one superstar. If Cousins is willing to buy in and be patient, and I don't know that he is, but if so, then we should be able to do the same. So in a sense, I'm agreeing with you, in that I don't think this is the best team we might have had, with emphasis on the word might. So without being privy to all the info, it's hard to be too critical of the organization for moves they didn't make. I'm sure they could have traded any of Koufos, McLemore and Gay, but haven't. Why? Well in Gay's case, he might be more beneficial to the team this coming season than whomever the other teams were offering. At seasons end, Gay is gone one way or the other. Players that were offered probably came with more years left on their contracts, and Vlade seemed to be avoiding that, unless it was a player he coveted.

Am I leaning more to the glass half full mode? Yeah, probably, but then I always try and stay positive until I see evidence to the contrary. Talk to me after 20 or 30 games, and I may have changed my mind. Or not!
You know I would never claim that I'm right and you are wrong. I do understand why some Kings Fans choose to be positive and I hope everything works out as you envision it.

But....;)

Let's follow your reasoning and postulate, that Vlade couldn't convince players of Lee's level to sign with SAC this season. He opted to sign stopgap solutions instead. But why should we expect things to change? Next offseason we have no Gay and DMC is an expiring. When Vlade can't convince upper tier role players to sign in SAC now, why should we have more luck next offseason?
Same with the trades? When Vlade can't net us a good return for Gay right now, what should make me believe, that he can get anything of value for him in the future?

All those things about necessary changes are a nice read, but what has really changed until now?

-How our draft picks will work out isn't set in stone yet. Was WCS the right pick? Is he a star or a great role player going forward? Or will it hurt us, that we passed on Winslow or Johnson? Those are things we can't know right now. Same with this years draft.

- Has the culture changed? Last season the team literally gave up. Karl or not, this is not a sign for a changing culture. And why should anyone give those guys the benefit of the doubt?

But my biggest issue is the DMC dilemma. Do you think this kind of team is enough for DMC to buy in and stay in SAC. There are guys like his buddy Wall and other stars trying to recruit him. What's SAC's counter argument? "We don't have any stars or great role players for you, but when you stay we promise you to change the culture and in 2 to 3 years we maybe can start winning?"
Cousins doesn't owe the Kings anything. Everything he achieved, he achieved despite being part of the most disfunctional franchise of the league (Ok...the Nets are maybe even more disfunctional). He trusted the new regime once and signed a new deal in SAC, but ultimately nothing changed for him. He still hasn't played in a single playoff game. Do you think talks about a long term plan (and right now it's only talking nothing else) is enough?
I don't!

No I don't expect Vlade to undo all the mistakes of the past regime in a short amount of time. But I expect more results than talk about culture changes and pleads for patience (Ok that's a very negative interpretation of Joergers "it's not about wins-comments", but I couldn't resist ;)). I don't think it's the right time to worry about overpaying valuable upper tier role players. I don't think it's the right thing to built a stopgap team, when we literally have no perspectives once DMC is gone other than to rebuild through the draft. And I don't think the credit Vlade gets around here is completely warranted, when he is unable to net us good return in trade scenarios for Gay or convince good FA to sign with SAC.
I will give him credit, when I think it's warranted - for his draft trade for example or the Temple signing.

You know I would never claim that I'm right and you are wrong. I do understand why some Kings Fans choose to be positive and I hope everything works out as you envision it.

But....;)

Let's follow your reasoning and postulate, that Vlade couldn't convince players of Lee's level to sign with SAC this season. He opted to sign stopgap solutions instead. But why should we expect things to change? Next offseason we have no Gay and DMC is an expiring. When Vlade can't convince upper tier role players to sign in SAC now, why should we have more luck next offseason?
Same with the trades? When Vlade can't net us a good return for Gay right now, what should make me believe, that he can get anything of value for him in the future?

All those things about necessary changes are a nice read, but what has really changed until now?

-How our draft picks will work out isn't set in stone yet. Was WCS the right pick? Is he a star or a great role player going forward? Or will it hurt us, that we passed on Winslow or Johnson? Those are things we can't know right now. Same with this years draft.

- Has the culture changed? Last season the team literally gave up. Karl or not, this is not a sign for a changing culture. And why should anyone give those guys the benefit of the doubt?

But my biggest issue is the DMC dilemma. Do you think this kind of team is enough for DMC to buy in and stay in SAC. There are guys like his buddy Wall and other stars trying to recruit him. What's SAC's counter argument? "We don't have any stars or great role players for you, but when you stay we promise you to change the culture and in 2 to 3 years we maybe can start winning?"
Cousins doesn't owe the Kings anything. Everything he achieved, he achieved despite being part of the most disfunctional franchise of the league (Ok...the Nets are maybe even more disfunctional). He trusted the new regime once and signed a new deal in SAC, but ultimately nothing changed for him. He still hasn't played in a single playoff game. Do you think talks about a long term plan (and right now it's only talking nothing else) is enough?
I don't!

No I don't expect Vlade to undo all the mistakes of the past regime in a short amount of time. But I expect more results than talk about culture changes and pleads for patience (Ok that's a very negative interpretation of Joergers "it's not about wins-comments", but I couldn't resist ;)). I don't think it's the right time to worry about overpaying valuable upper tier role players. I don't think it's the right thing to built a stopgap team, when we literally have no perspectives once DMC is gone other than to rebuild through the draft. And I don't think the credit Vlade gets around here is completely warranted, when he is unable to net us good return in trade scenarios for Gay or convince good FA to sign with SAC.
I will give him credit, when I think it's warranted - for his draft trade for example or the Temple signing.
Anyone who doesn't think Team USA guys weren't in his ear this off-season are absolutely kidding themselves. Everyone else already on the team had a pile of playoff success and appearances. Boogie isn't going to wait around when he'll have his pick of teams he wants to go to.

That dunk was encouraging. I think his acquisition is to take the pressure off our terrible wing ball handlers (Rudy, Ben, Omri) and run pick and roll with Boogie. He has a golden opportunity with Collision likely to get at least 5-10 game suspension. There is going to be 30-35 minutes available when DC is out, and 20-25 when he comes back, and Lawson can seize those minutes if he gets his confidence and form back.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Anyone who doesn't think Team USA guys weren't in his ear this off-season are absolutely kidding themselves. Everyone else already on the team had a pile of playoff success and appearances. Boogie isn't going to wait around when he'll have his pick of teams he wants to go to.
Why do you assume chatter only goes one way? DMC could well have been talking guys into coming to Sac since there will be so many slots open (and money) next season and the GM/Coach/owner will do what it takes to put a winning team on the floor?

dude12

Hall of Famer
Why do you assume chatter only goes one way? DMC could well have been talking guys into coming to Sac since there will be so many slots open (and money) next season and the GM/Coach/owner will do what it takes to put a winning team on the floor?
This. I think too many of our fans are too used to bad things going on.....and for good reason, but things can change and I think they already are in the process if changing.

Because we're the Sacramento Kings....

For instance, the Spurs will have more than enough to max Cousins in 2018. Kawhi Pop and the best organization in the game? Or us? Who would you choose to play for?

I can't say this about Cousins, or anyone else for that matter. And it may be a foreign concept to some people. But for me, sometimes even to my detriment, I have been loyal to things that most would not.

Call it stubborn. Call it foolish. I happen to take pride in certain facets of my moral character that others may not. I am hoping maybe Cousins is this way too.

DMC-x-CLOUD.IX-01.png
Some teams passed on Big Cuz. We didnt.

Because we're the Sacramento Kings....

For instance, the Spurs will have more than enough to max Cousins in 2018. Kawhi Pop and the best organization in the game? Or us? Who would you choose to play for?
The Kings can give DMC the extra year and an extra $30 mil guaranteed. This is what gave Memphis the edge in retaining Mike Conley this summer.

I think if the Kings are fighting for the Playoffs and has stability with Coach Joeger and Vlade, DMC will re-sign with the Kings in 2018.

I wont speculate on if Cuz stays or if Cuz goes but I recon there are several teammates on the Kings that Cuz feels pretty tight with. WCS, Casspi, Ben if he can come around.. if Cuz jells well with Joerger and Turner which I believe he will, Vlade and even Vivek are major supporters and of course the best fans in a new dig in a small town.
If its a ring he wants its a long ways off, few teams have got the ring in the last 30 years. However there is some promise here and that may be enough.

I can't say this about Cousins, or anyone else for that matter. And it may be a foreign concept to some people. But for me, sometimes even to my detriment, I have been loyal to things that most would not.

Call it stubborn. Call it foolish. I happen to take pride in certain facets of my moral character that others may not. I am hoping maybe Cousins is this way too.

View attachment 5762
Some teams passed on Big Cuz. We didnt.
Nice Hat Big Fella.

I think the answer of whether Cousins can work with Joerger will be answered by the all-star break. I am confident that this will be a tick for us.

Then the next question is will Cousins extend with us or sign once his current contract runs out. This will depend on the following:

- If Cousins works well with coach Joerger it a positive for us. If this happens then there is a good chance that we are setting the right foundation based on defense for this team in terms of standards, type of play, the non-negotiables each and every game (e.g. grit and grind).
- If the foundation is in place, no doubt we will improve and there will be path forward.

Those are the per-requisites.

Now the deciding factor for us will be the next off-season. What roster moves will we be able to make between now and the start of training camp next year. If we can put together a team that is considered a play off team in the West and some of our draftees start showing promise of being good NBA players (and I am thinking Malachi and Skal), then I think Cousins will be in.

If we fail at any of these, then I suspect we will be trading Cousins this time next year and going full blown rebuild again. We stuffed up the chance to rebuilt properly around Cousins so many times because we wanted a quick fix and certain style of play despite Cousins not particularly fitting that style. We pissed about 3-4 years with Cousins into the wind and now we need to do it quickly but in the right way.

It is why I believe the trades we did on the draft night were excellent. Now time will tell if we used the picks wisely and if we are able to actually develop talented kids into good to great NBA players.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Not really sure how this completely unrelated thread became yet another discussion about Demarcus Cousins and his impending (well, in two years) free agency, but on the topic of Ty Lawson, at worst, he's training camp fodder and at best, he's one of the better offensive point guards in the NBA, which, considering how much some of the people on this board were bitching about this roster not having enough offensive firepower, can't really be a bad thing.

I didnt mean to derail the discussion if I did, I think everything including offseason aquisitions like Lawson are looked at by fans with an eye towards whether or not it helps us retain Cousins since he is a rare player the likes of which we may never see again.

I agree with you Tetsujin. Lawson , barring some major locker room disruption from him, can only help us. I really hope he returns to form and given his situation I'm thinking he feels the same way.

Part of me wonders if the Kings heard some news from the NBA about their intended scenarios with the Collison situation that prompted them to have an experienced PG on the roster just in case OR if they gave up on the Rudy trade scenario and wanted the full complete team to have time to work together.
My post makes even more sense with the Darren news.

Lawson is a good risk and Cuz is the heart of our talent but my main concern is about neither of them. I want to see the team develop it's team play and win some games. Our offense has been too one-on-one and our defense has had too many holes too often. To be successful each player has to show he can fit and contribute to winning team play. That hasn't happened yet. Do that, Ty.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

But....;)

I don't!

OK, I get your point, but bear in mind, the easiest position to take on any issue is to look at it from a negative point of view. You don't have to prove anything. Most negative arguments are abstract. I could make you the GM and you could go out and try and do everything you want, and I could sit back and criticize everything I thought you didn't accomplish. And I would be right, just as your right about what you thought Vlade didn't accomplish. The truth is, sometimes it's not possible. For whatever reason, be it the climate, the lack of money, the planets aren't aligned, or the player you wanted had already made up his mind about where he wanted to play. Obviously there are things you can't control. Remember, sometimes the best moves you make are the one's you don't make.

So I'm not saying your wrong and I'm right, as you said, we don't yet know the outcome. I don't think Vlade thought that WCS was going to be a star when he drafted him, but I do think he thought he would help the Kings defensively. If he also becomes a star, then that's a bonus. Not sure why every draft pick has to be a star or he's a bust. I'm also not sure why every player we acquire now has to be a great defensive player. Last time I checked, the team that puts the ball through the basket the most times win's. I think you need a balanced mix of offensive and defensive players. If you can find a player or two that can do both, then great, but generally, those players are stars and harder to come by.

I'm never going to convince you, nor you me, and I'm fine with that. From a personal point of view, I'd rather remain positive. I just happen to like happy faces more than depressed one's. The most amazing thing to me is how negative people can be happy about being negative. It's as though they enjoy pain. Of course you could say I'm living in a fantasy world and maybe I'am at times.:confused: But anyway you cut it, Disneyland is more fun than any negative alternative.

So here are some negatives.:( A team acquires stars (meaning more than one) first and foremost through the draft. That's how we acquired Cousins. The painful truth is, that we've blown our opportunities time and time again to add additional stars to the team. I'm past trying to point fingers at whom to blame because it doesn't matter anymore. But we could have had Klay Thompson and Damian Lillard playing next to Cousins right now. Or Kahwi Leonard. My point is, the possibilities were there and they'll be there again. But, it won't happen overnight. You can't make mistake after mistake for 9 or 10 years, and expect to fix it in a year or two. So the question is, do you, we, trust Vlade to be the man to lead us into the future.

You see, I'm not opposed to pointing out negatives, but I deal more with results as opposed to speculation on the future. One is factual, and the other is abstract, meaning the results can't yet be proved. So how anyone looks at the future is a matter of choice. So now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to try and figure out why we drafted Papagiannis. :rolleyes:

OK, I get your point, but bear in mind, the easiest position to take on any issue is to look at it from a negative point of view. You don't have to prove anything. Most negative arguments are abstract. I could make you the GM and you could go out and try and do everything you want, and I could sit back and criticize everything I thought you didn't accomplish. And I would be right, just as your right about what you thought Vlade didn't accomplish. The truth is, sometimes it's not possible. For whatever reason, be it the climate, the lack of money, the planets aren't aligned, or the player you wanted had already made up his mind about where he wanted to play. Obviously there are things you can't control. Remember, sometimes the best moves you make are the one's you don't make.

So I'm not saying your wrong and I'm right, as you said, we don't yet know the outcome. I don't think Vlade thought that WCS was going to be a star when he drafted him, but I do think he thought he would help the Kings defensively. If he also becomes a star, then that's a bonus. Not sure why every draft pick has to be a star or he's a bust. I'm also not sure why every player we acquire now has to be a great defensive player. Last time I checked, the team that puts the ball through the basket the most times win's. I think you need a balanced mix of offensive and defensive players. If you can find a player or two that can do both, then great, but generally, those players are stars and harder to come by.

I'm never going to convince you, nor you me, and I'm fine with that. From a personal point of view, I'd rather remain positive. I just happen to like happy faces more than depressed one's. The most amazing thing to me is how negative people can be happy about being negative. It's as though they enjoy pain. Of course you could say I'm living in a fantasy world and maybe I'am at times.:confused: But anyway you cut it, Disneyland is more fun than any negative alternative.

So here are some negatives.:( A team acquires stars (meaning more than one) first and foremost through the draft. That's how we acquired Cousins. The painful truth is, that we've blown our opportunities time and time again to add additional stars to the team. I'm past trying to point fingers at whom to blame because it doesn't matter anymore. But we could have had Klay Thompson and Damian Lillard playing next to Cousins right now. Or Kahwi Leonard. My point is, the possibilities were there and they'll be there again. But, it won't happen overnight. You can't make mistake after mistake for 9 or 10 years, and expect to fix it in a year or two. So the question is, do you, we, trust Vlade to be the man to lead us into the future.

You see, I'm not opposed to pointing out negatives, but I deal more with results as opposed to speculation on the future. One is factual, and the other is abstract, meaning the results can't yet be proved. So how anyone looks at the future is a matter of choice. So now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to try and figure out why we drafted Papagiannis. :rolleyes:
When you figured out, what's so special about Big George let me know. ;)
Actually I was impressed by this short workout clip with him shooting threes. Wonder if the workouts were the reason Vlade was so high on him.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
When you figured out, what's so special about Big George let me know. ;)
Actually I was impressed by this short workout clip with him shooting threes. Wonder if the workouts were the reason Vlade was so high on him.
Your guess is as good as mine. If B0gdanivic and Skal turn out to be players, I don't care about Papagiannis.

K

KingMilz

Make no mistake. This is a risky signing for us but then again so was Rondo in a way. I feel the risk factor is obviously reflected in the deal that we gave Lawson (veteran minimum) and the fact that it is non-guaranteed.

What this tells me is that we as an organization have some genuine question marks about Lawson that we are hoping do not turn into issues.

Hopefully, he can do a Rondo and resurrect his NBA career in Sacramento. If he can do that it will work out great for both teams. Given that Lawson jumped at the non-guaranteed veteran minimum deal with us suggests to me that there was barely any interest in him. Hopefully this is a wake up call for him and that he gets back to what he was with Denver. A very good PG in the NBA.
Why we didn't give up pick swaps or anything of value to acquire him and he's easily the most talented PG available by a land slide, he didn't destroy the lockerroom (as far as I know) in either Denver (they wanted to get younger with Mudiay) and Houston had in fighting between Dwight and Harden and he was stuck in a crap situation for him. What's the risk if he stuffs things up? The Kings barely pay him anything and I very much doubt he could destroy the lockerroom on his own he would have plenty of help from Gay/Cousins if it comes to that.

Ty Lawson only becomes a massive risk if he plays out of his mind this year and puts us in a position where we might have to give him a long term contract worth quiet a lot the following year. To me the only way we make the playoffs this year is if he comes back and is the player he was 2-3 years ago (which I'm doubting strongly but hoping).

Why we didn't give up pick swaps or anything of value to acquire him and he's easily the most talented PG available by a land slide, he didn't destroy the lockerroom (as far as I know) in either Denver (they wanted to get younger with Mudiay) and Houston had in fighting between Dwight and Harden and he was stuck in a poopoo situation for him. What's the risk if he stuffs things up? The Kings barely pay him anything and I very much doubt he could destroy the lockerroom on his own he would have plenty of help from Gay/Cousins if it comes to that.

Ty Lawson only becomes a massive risk if he plays out of his mind this year and puts us in a position where we might have to give him a long term contract worth quiet a lot the following year. To me the only way we make the playoffs this year is if he comes back and is the player he was 2-3 years ago (which I'm doubting strongly but hoping).
I think you are right. I don't like Lawson as a player, because I don't think he fits what we should accomplish as a team (not that much talent but hardworking, hardnosed, defensive identity), but there isn't much risk involved given the nature of his contract. If the terms are close to what the press reported, than Vlade did a good job negotiating said contract even though it might be Lawson's last chance in the NBA.
The only risk I can see, is that Lawson, well aware that he needs to prove he still belongs into the NBA, will act as a "me first" type of player. To a certain extent I think that's what Rondo did last year and it worked for him. But Rondo's game is about dominating the ball to set up teammates in transition or using set plays and pick&rolls. Lawson is different with a scorers mentality and the willingness to break down the D and establish more of a drive and kick game, than to run sets. It might still work, when Joerger gives him the same kind of freedom like he gave Lance last year with the Grizzlies, but than Lawson will certainly be our backup PG, because this kind of playstyle would be disastrous when paired with DMC and Rudy.
We will see. I hope he proves me wrong and is able to transform himself into Denver Lawson again.

K

KingMilz

I think you are right. I don't like Lawson as a player, because I don't think he fits what we should accomplish as a team (not that much talent but hardworking, hardnosed, defensive identity), but there isn't much risk involved given the nature of his contract. If the terms are close to what the press reported, than Vlade did a good job negotiating said contract even though it might be Lawson's last chance in the NBA.
The only risk I can see, is that Lawson, well aware that he needs to prove he still belongs into the NBA, will act as a "me first" type of player. To a certain extent I think that's what Rondo did last year and it worked for him. But Rondo's game is about dominating the ball to set up teammates in transition or using set plays and pick&rolls. Lawson is different with a scorers mentality and the willingness to break down the D and establish more of a drive and kick game, than to run sets. It might still work, when Joerger gives him the same kind of freedom like he gave Lance last year with the Grizzlies, but than Lawson will certainly be our backup PG, because this kind of playstyle would be disastrous when paired with DMC and Rudy.
We will see. I hope he proves me wrong and is able to transform himself into Denver Lawson again.
He's never been that but through college/Denver (he never really got much of chance to do anything in Houston/Indi) where he played on good teams he was always willing to share (even played off the ball with Dre @PG) the spotlight, he played well with Gallo/Faired/Chandler/AA/Iggy/Dre where everyone got a turn. I'm more worried about him going back to drugs than I am about his fit/ability. The team is desperately lacking in talent and he's the only one (aside from Cousins) that can tip us over into a 8th seed if everyone else plays up to potential.

He's never been that but through college/Denver (he never really got much of chance to do anything in Houston/Indi) where he played on good teams he was always willing to share (even played off the ball with Dre @PG) the spotlight, he played well with Gallo/Faired/Chandler/AA/Iggy/Dre where everyone got a turn. I'm more worried about him going back to drugs than I am about his fit/ability. The team is desperately lacking in talent and he's the only one (aside from Cousins) that can tip us over into a 8th seed if everyone else plays up to potential.
You're right, I actually would like him to look more for own his shot than last year, he passed up a lot of good looks while being in Indy. I hope he gets his confidence back especially if we want to play him with the second unit.