Turner Construction selected to build new Sacramento arena

http://blogs.sacbee.com/city-beat/2...n-selected-to-build-new-sacramento-arena.html

Turner Construction is the firm building Levi's Stadium, the new facility for the San Francisco 49ers in Santa Clara. Turner also built the new Terminal B at Sacramento International Airport.
and from Sactown royalty
http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2013/...tion-hired-to-build-downtown-sacramento-arena

Turner has vast experience in building/renovating major league sports and entertainment centers, including Yankee's Stadium, Madison Square Garden, LincolnFinancial Field, U.S. Cellular Field, CenturyLink Field and more. Turner has also worked on the Burj Khalifa and Taipei 101 towers, the two tallest buildings in the world.

Looks like the ball has started to roll.

Nice to know that STOP didn't scare off a huge construction company, because you have to assume that committing to this would tie up Turner's ability to accept another large similar project that could be occurring around the same time.

Also good that they hired a company familiar with the area and familiar with hiring local sub contractors.

Odd that the construction company would be hired before the architect. But again, could come down to locking up their services before it gets tied up somewhere else. This ownership is not afraid to pull the trigger when they see something they want.

Nice to know that STOP didn't scare off a huge construction company, because you have to assume that committing to this would tie up Turner's ability to accept another large similar project that could be occurring around the same time.

Also good that they hired a company familiar with the area and familiar with hiring local sub contractors.

Odd that the construction company would be hired before the architect. But again, could come down to locking up their services before it gets tied up somewhere else. This ownership is not afraid to pull the trigger when they see something they want.
Like hiring the coach before the GM ;)

I know zilch about construction companies and their process, but I can only assume that a company well-established as Turner seems to be, have multiple connections with the top-end architects. Prob not all that strange at all.

I know zilch about construction companies and their process, but I can only assume that a company well-established as Turner seems to be, have multiple connections with the top-end architects. Prob not all that strange at all.
I agree that a company like Turner would have all the connections they need as far as architects. I was thinking from a logical process perspective. Working with an architect and deciding what kind of building you want. Then going out and finding a company that can build it like you want and for the lowest cost.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I agree that a company like Turner would have all the connections they need as far as architects. I was thinking from a logical process perspective. Working with an architect and deciding what kind of building you want. Then going out and finding a company that can build it like you want and for the lowest cost.
I think the reputation of Turner is so good that any architect will be able to work with them. And the timing is impeccable since they'll be finishing Levi Stadium right before they start work in Sacramento. Had they not inked Turner now, the company might not have been available further down the road. And remember, one of our new owners happens to be a very successful developer himself, so I'm pretty sure he knew the caliber of Turner and what they would bring to the project.

And, as a final point, I don't think Vivek and company are worried about the lowest cost. They want the best and will pay what it takes to get it done.

I think the reputation of Turner is so good that any architect will be able to work with them. And the timing is impeccable since they'll be finishing Levi Stadium right before they start work in Sacramento. Had they not inked Turner now, the company might not have been available further down the road. And remember, one of our new owners happens to be a very successful developer himself, so I'm pretty sure he knew the caliber of Turner and what they would bring to the project.

And, as a final point, I don't think Vivek and company are worried about the lowest cost. They want the best and will pay what it takes to get it done.
Having the contractor on board during the design process is really the ideal way to go about it. The fact that the money is already pretty much guaranteed to be there makes all the difference, if not for that Turner would not be as willing to use there resources for something that may or may not actually be built.

Being able to work with the contractor gives the architect access to much more accurate budget numbers, especially on a one off project where there isn't perfect comparison to past projects. Also the contractor will have a much better grasp of realistic scheduling, and will be able to identify issues both schedule and constructability wise much sooner and allow them to be addressed earlier in the design phase which will actually save extra cost and time over having a completed set of drawings and turning them over to the contractor to have it built.

Haven't been following this closely (that would drive me insane) but I would be worried if the local media (such as Lillis) were legitimizing STOP a little too much by reporting STOP's self-measured progress as fact which could sway the public if they believed STOP's efforts were gaining steam and mainstream acceptance, even if they weren't

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Haven't been following this closely (that would drive me insane) but I would be worried if the local media (such as Lillis) were legitimizing STOP a little too much by reporting STOP's self-measured progress as fact which could sway the public if they believed STOP's efforts were gaining steam and mainstream acceptance, even if they weren't
You cannot allow something like STOP to gain momentum by illegal means. You need to point out the questionable actions and funding now, before they announce gleefully that they've garnered enough signatures to qualify for the ballot. It's not STOP that's the real problem - it's groups like TSN (Taxpayers for Safer Neighborhods) that are more like hired guns who are being funded out of Southern California and paying for the signature gatherers.

It seems obvious to me that STOP will get their signatures by any means possible. If they manage to get this thing on the ballot, I'm not optimistic about its chances to pass. If that happens, then what? Are we dead in the water?

It seems like there's political will to get this done on both sides of the aisle but will that be enough?

It seems obvious to me that STOP will get their signatures by any means possible. If they manage to get this thing on the ballot, I'm not optimistic about its chances to pass. If that happens, then what? Are we dead in the water?

It seems like there's political will to get this done on both sides of the aisle but will that be enough?
It all depends on how much the NBA enforces the 2017 deadline. If this goes to a ballot and doesn't pass, there won't be enough time to come up with a new plan and then break ground soon enough to meet the November of 2017 start of the season. But that's assuming that the league is dead set on their 2017 deadline. If Vivek were to say screw it, I'm going to fund the whole thing myself, I don't think the signature gatherers could do anything at that point.

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/08/14/5648684/sacramento-council-votes-to-join.html

Sacramento council votes to join Kings in negotiating for Macy's site

By a 7-2 vote, the Sacramento City Council agreed Tuesday night to join the Sacramento Kings in negotiating with the owner of the Macy's furniture and men's clothing store at the Downtown Plaza over the purchase of the soon-to-be vacant property.

The city's involvement in the talks carries with it a key negotiating tool: the threat of seizing control of the property through eminent domain. While describing that tactic as a last resort, city officials said they could seek to condemn the property if attempts to purchase the store fall apart...
Got to love it when a plan starts to come together.

Last edited by a moderator: