Training Camp Thread

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Thanks for the link - really enjoyed reading the updates. However, was somewhat shocked by this:

"Olden Polynice will be with the team throughout camp in San Diego and even he is shocked by what he is seeing on the floor."

Its great to hear even Olden sees the upgrade in talent, but I have yet to learn why Olden in with the team - is he simply a practice player of some kind? Isn't he too old to even have an impact as a practice player?
No no, Olden is the police presence. :)

What an odd odd random person to have there.

K

KingMilz

Just watched the highlights of day 2 training camp and I saw Cousins make a simple move that I have been calling for him to use since I started posting here, he made a effortless half hook off a back down (made it look so fluid and effortless), that move with Cuz doing it could literally be the most unstoppable shot in the NBA when your talking about a guy with the combination of soft hands, strong as a bull, elite length and extremely nimble/explosive for a giant. He shot would get blocked far less (if someone did block it, it would most likely be a goal-tend) and he would improve his FG% and lower his offensive fouls if he just made that a pet shot of his. It's clearly in his arsenal maybe he's just not comfortable doing it in a NBA game I don't get why he does not use it more often.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Yeah, I laughed at Tetsujin's post before I remembered that Causwell actually WAS around.

Ralph Sampson, Duane Causwell and Jim Les signing a beam that is going to go up in the Golden1 Center.

That was a pretty remarkable find for them actually. I researched Causewell for the Kings wiki project and there was nary a peep about him anywhere after about 2006 or so when he was trying to get a reality TV show off the ground about his life. Just dropped off the map, which is hard to do when you are 7'0' tall.

I thought this was an interesting snippet from Ham's article posted above

Two players have stepped up their games early in camp and turned heads.

“I think the two guys that probably come to my mind are Darren Collison, this is the first time I’ve seen him, the first time I’ve coached him and he’s been outstanding,” Karl said. “He’s probably the best player on the court yesterday and he was pretty good today. The other guy, I think Kosta. I thought Kosta was a damn good player for me in Denver and he’s better than he was. He’s better, he’s more solid, he’s more confident, he’s stronger, he’s bigger. He knows how to play. He knows how to play winning basketball. I think those two guys are probably in my mind standing out the most.”
Love seeing that DC is playing well. Also read that this is the healthiest and best he's felt since his rookie year. Also good to see that Kosta is already making an impact. Aside from him helping us out in game, his effect on DMC in practice will be a great addition.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
That was a pretty remarkable find for them actually. I researched Causewell for the Kings wiki project and there was nary a peep about him anywhere after about 2006 or so when he was trying to get a reality TV show off the ground about his life. Just dropped off the map, which is hard to do when you are 7'0' tall.
Well step one would be elevating your Google-fu by spelling his name correctly. :p

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
My big take-away from Tuesday practice was Acy taking and make 3's!! OMG! Then Rondo and DC practicing short stop & pop's and making all of them. Saw Rondo making some FT's too! Now thats a wow if he can suddenly make FT and short pops, changes opponent defenses.

From the clips I have seen Curry looks better than I assumed. As far as I thought he would look like Jimmer out there with a shaky handle playing cautious because of it. From what I have seen he is making nice plays off the dribble and attacking the basket. If he can prove to be a good ball handler he will be a nice bench scoring option to have. He is well coached(Duke) and has the family pedigree that we know he will play the right way. Even if his defense isn't great, you can sort of mask that with the big guys we have protecting the paint now in the bursts he would be out there.

Acy knocking down 3's is encouraging. He shot 30% last year and he has continued to work at it all summer from what I have seen through social media. If he could inch closer to league average (35%) he would be another nice deep bench option to have. If anything quite unique being a high energy guy that can also stretch the floor and of course his off court intagibles are nice to have.

Also pretty nice to have a training camp where you just have a ton of vets that know the game already and you just put them out there to scrimmage. Theres obviously a bunch of system learning stuff going on behind closed doors. Between Rondo, Collison, Bellineli, Gay, Cousins, Koufos, Butler, Casspi that is a ton of NBA experience. With only Ben(who is still young but has a lot of experience already also) and WCS the only ones really still learning the NBA game. Even the deep bench guys like Acy, Anderson, Curry are pretty experienced. Acy playing in the league quite a bit, Anderson playing in the league and overseas and Curry is a 4 year college guy who has scraped his way to contract.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
From the clips I have seen Curry looks better than I assumed. As far as I thought he would look like Jimmer out there with a shaky handle playing cautious because of it. From what I have seen he is making nice plays off the dribble and attacking the basket. If he can prove to be a good ball handler he will be a nice bench scoring option to have off the bench. He is well coached(Duke) and has the family pedigree that we know he will play the right way. Even if his defense isn't great, you can sort of mask that with the big guys we have protecting the paint now in the bursts he would be out there.
I watched him play in summer league, so I had no doubts about his handle. Ironically, he didn't shoot the three well in summer league, which is his calling card. I agree that with Caulley-Stein and Koufos, we should be able to cover for him defensively.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
From what I can gather Brooks is looking to take a year off and do some commentating. My guess is he's just taking an invitation from Karl to visit, check out the Kings camp and maybe offer some thoughts.