Training Camp Roster??

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Last year the Kings released their "official" training camp roster on September 25th. So I'm guessing it will be finalized this week.

And last year they brought 18 guys to camp so I'm guessing that what you have up there is the list, give or take a Sim Bhullar sighting.

I'd be surprised if Moreland didn't make the team. I'm guessing the last roster spot goes to Dukan who spends most of the year in Reno under Peja's watchful eye.

3rd PG shouldn't see much time with both Collison and Rondo healthy (might be a reason, Kings can't find a veteran to compete for that job), but that spot might suddenly become very important, if one of them becomes sidelined. Would be nice, if there were more competition for that role.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
3rd PG shouldn't see much time with both Collison and Rondo healthy (might be a reason, Kings can't find a veteran to compete for that job), but that spot might suddenly become very important, if one of them becomes sidelined. Would be nice, if there were more competition for that role.
I'm assuming that you don't see Curry as competition. However, I think the Kings do, and he's likely to get minutes before Stockton does. Personally I look at Curry as more of a SG than a PG, but in Karl's system, he might be a good fit.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm assuming that you don't see Curry as competition. However, I think the Kings do, and he's likely to get minutes before Stockton does. Personally I look at Curry as more of a SG than a PG, but in Karl's system, he might be a good fit.
I'm warming to the idea of Curry, especially if some of the other ballhandlers on the team are on the court with him - Bellinelli, Gay, Cousins etc. I wouldn't mind seeing competition for that 3rd PG job but I don't think Stockton is going to provide that. Love the kid's heart but he just doesn't have the size or athleticism to be an NBA guard.

On a completely different note, here's is the best Kings related tweet of the day:

https://twitter.com/Aykis16/status/646754365009752064

I don't see Stockton even as a fringe rotation player, and Curry is maybe half a step ahead of him. Kings are going into the season without experience behind Collison and Rondo. When both are healthy that fact is irrelevant, but players miss time.

I don't see Stockton even as a fringe rotation player, and Curry is maybe half a step ahead of him. Kings are going into the season without experience behind Collison and Rondo. When both are healthy that fact is irrelevant, but players miss time.
You can say this about every team at every position. We're actually lucky enough this season that we can turn to a pretty decent 2nd option at every slot heading into the year.

I see 0 issues if Rondo or Collison get hurt. Both are capable of playing starter minutes and we have enough ball-handlers (Belli, Gay, Cuz, as Funky said) that Seth wouldn't be on an island. And its not like he's THAT bad of a ball-handler either. Certainly ahead of where Jimmer was when he was with us.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
I'm gonna be careful about discounting Mighty Mite Stockton too much. Sure he's small and light but when reading about the team together at Fabers MMA workout there was a small mention that Stockton was the (most) impressive in their workout. Small tidbit but a bit of "like father like son".

J

jdbraver

I'm gonna be careful about discounting Mighty Mite Stockton too much. Sure he's small and light but when reading about the team together at Fabers MMA workout there was a small mention that Stockton was the (most) impressive in their workout. Small tidbit but a bit of "like father like son".
Stockton didn't impress in SL when he should have consistently

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Stockton didn't impress in SL when he should have consistently
In fairness to Stockton at summer league, he didn't even play in the first three games, and had limited action in the fourth, due to a sprained ankle. In the minutes he did have, he played fine. The main problem with our summer league team was that both players that were there to play at the PG position were injured.

Anyone know what's happening on the Sim Bhullar Front? Haven't found any updates on who's inviting him to training camp. Did the Kings just give up on him. Seems too quiet in Sim's Camp like he decided to give up on his basketball career or the Kings are about to break some big news that he's going to be signed to a 1 year guaranteed year.

J

jdbraver

In fairness to Stockton at summer league, he didn't even play in the first three games, and had limited action in the fourth, due to a sprained ankle. In the minutes he did have, he played fine. The main problem with our summer league team was that both players that were there to play at the PG position were injured.
Playing fine in SL isn't too inspiring.