Trading Landry

S

sactownfan

bajaden touched on Landry being a free agent this summer in another thread and it brought to light that while Landry is a great player to have right now at a very reasonable cost would it make any sense in the Kings resigning him?

It seems like Landry is an excellent 6th man on any team in this league... but doesnt quite have the all around game and size you'd want to build your front court around as a starter...

i think it would be in our best interest to trade Landry to a playoff hopeful for a prospect and some draft picks....

Then using our money to sign a Melo type SF/SG, or Marc Gasol type C

what do you guys think?

I'd have a hard time letting Landry go unless we replaced someone with comparable shooting consistency. On those nights where NOTHING seems to fall for our shooters players like Landry and Beno are the only chances we have at staying in the game due to their always on mid range games. Losing one of them without a replacement would be pretty devastating for our offense.

S

sactownfan

i agree... and maybe if this team is still on a roll and even looking playoff bound at the all-star break i'd elect to stay put with Landry....

However...

if this team is already out of the playoff hunt by the all-star break its probably in our best interest to get something for Landry vs having him walk for nothing or demand to much money to stay....

sure if we moved him we'd be forced to relying more on Cousins who at this moment isn't as dependable as Landry.... but isnt that the point... he needs more crunch time experience and will get that if Landrys moved...

and if were able to get a prospect or picks i think that trading Landry is a no brainer... ??? right ???

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
The kings have more than enough money to just hold onto him, and let things play out this summer if they want to. We could potentially re-sign both Daly and Landry and still sign another impact type player. Depending on where we draft of course.

The kings have more than enough money to just hold onto him, and let things play out this summer if they want to. We could potentially re-sign both Daly and Landry and still sign another impact type player. Depending on where we draft of course.
It's not just about the cap space. First of all, this is real money being spent, not just paper being pushed. Fans sometimes lose sight of that.

Secondly, if Landry is going to come off the bench and play 18-22 minutes a game as a 6th man, do we really want to commit to $35-40 million for the next five years? Is he worth to us what he'd command in free agency? And before you scoff at the $35-40 million price tag, consider players like Channing Frye, Drew Gooden, Travis Outlaw, who all got similar money, but aren't as good as Landry.

If Landry plays out his contract here, the only way I see him resigning with us is if the new CBA dramatically changes his options and drives his salary demands down, and that's not looking like too realistic a proposition. I think it's a foregone conclusion that he won't be a King next year, and if we're not making a serious push for a playoff spot around the time of the deadline, I think the best thing to do is to trade him.

And I feel the same way about Dalembert, unless he's playing a significant role for us. But even then, it's highly doubtful that he'll resign with us after this season.

bajaden touched on Landry being a free agent this summer in another thread and it brought to light that while Landry is a great player to have right now at a very reasonable cost would it make any sense in the Kings resigning him?
Need to add potentially being a free agent. The new CBA could change his status.

there is no point ridding him unless we get similar service from someone else. Its going to be difficult because he will comand good money from someone. GP has tough decisions to make with Landry and Sammy. He will most likley have to let one walk but cant you just see him trying to make a run at both.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I've been singing the trade Landry song all summer.

Not a fan of his game. He's the PF version of Kevin Martin.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I wouldn't mind re-signing him for a reasonable price. That most likely isn't going to happen, so what the Kings decide to do with him is up in the air. They could trade him for an asset at the Feb. deadline or sign & trade him in the summer. I do however, want to move him to the bench role again if he indeed does resign here.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Need to add potentially being a free agent. The new CBA could change his status.
I know your pretty sharpe when it comes to the CBA, but I can't seem to find anything that would prevent him from becoming an unrestricted freeagent. The only hold the Kings have on either Landry or Dalembert is bird rights, which could go bye bye in the new CBA. I really doubt that they will, but who the hell knows. But either way they're both unrestricted freeagents unless you can think of something I can't.

Assuming I'm right, one has to believe that the Kings will have made up their minds by the end of the season one way or the other. If they relinquish the rights to both players, which would remove all cap holds and open up serious space for the Kings, then I think we can safely assume that they've both played their last game for the Kings. Of course none of this can happen until a new CBA is in place. So it may be a while until we really know the fate of either player. Unless one of them is traded at mid-season of course.

I know your pretty sharpe when it comes to the CBA, but I can't seem to find anything that would prevent him from becoming an unrestricted freeagent. The only hold the Kings have on either Landry or Dalembert is bird rights, which could go bye bye in the new CBA. I really doubt that they will, but who the hell knows. But either way they're both unrestricted freeagents unless you can think of something I can't.

Assuming I'm right, one has to believe that the Kings will have made up their minds by the end of the season one way or the other. If they relinquish the rights to both players, which would remove all cap holds and open up serious space for the Kings, then I think we can safely assume that they've both played their last game for the Kings. Of course none of this can happen until a new CBA is in place. So it may be a while until we really know the fate of either player. Unless one of them is traded at mid-season of course.
Neither of them will be getting max deals from anyone, and if we were to release our holds on them we'd have all the cap space needed to best an MLE deal or something of that nature, so our holds are sort of irrelevant. Assuming we still have both and they are free agents at the end of the year, I'd be surprised if we don't release our holds.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Neither of them will be getting max deals from anyone, and if we were to release our holds on them we'd have all the cap space needed to best an MLE deal or something of that nature, so our holds are sort of irrelevant. Assuming we still have both and they are free agents at the end of the year, I'd be surprised if we don't release our holds.
I tend to agree with you on the max deal thing, and if thats a given, then yes, there's no reason to keep a hold on either player. Personally I think the Kings will make a trade before the deadline, and if I had to guess, it would be Landry thats gone. Not that he's someone we wouldn't want to keep, but that I can see where he would have more value to another team goint for a championship. Especially now with the emmergence of Darnell Jackson, who looks like a slightly taller more physical version of Landry.

But who knows? It may be JT or Greene that gets moved. Greene seems to be in the doghouse right now, which doesn't bode well for his trade value. There's always someone willing to take a gamble on 6'11" athletic player though.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I've been thinking Landry is a goner for a while now. Some team is going to want to give him starter money, and on this team I just don't see him as a starter long term, so the Kings won't give him starter money. I would hope that we could trade him and maybe get a valuable guard for the longer term.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I tend to agree with you on the max deal thing, and if thats a given, then yes, there's no reason to keep a hold on either player. Personally I think the Kings will make a trade before the deadline, and if I had to guess, it would be Landry thats gone. Not that he's someone we wouldn't want to keep, but that I can see where he would have more value to another team goint for a championship. Especially now with the emmergence of Darnell Jackson, who looks like a slightly taller more physical version of Landry.

But who knows? It may be JT or Greene that gets moved. Greene seems to be in the doghouse right now, which doesn't bode well for his trade value. There's always someone willing to take a gamble on 6'11" athletic player though.
It always seems like we trade the guy in the doghouse, and you're just not going to get a great player for a dog, right? Don't you think we should make a valiant effort at coaching-up Donte............and then trade him!:D

bajaden

Hall of Famer
It always seems like we trade the guy in the doghouse, and you're just not going to get a great player for a dog, right? Don't you think we should make a valiant effort at coaching-up Donte............and then trade him!:D
I would say thats the ideal situation, and one that I hope happens. But remember, one mans trash is another mans treasure. Philly couldn't wait to get rid of Dalembert, and we treasured him..

So there's talk here of trading Dally, Landry, JT and Donte. Why don't we just route for another team? And Carl Landry is a quality player for sure. If we can't be satisfied with him then we should prepare to be equally unsatisfied with his replacement.

Trading for strategic purposes I agree with though, and if we can get something for nothing I'll take it. I'd like to see Dally in a Kings uni at least one more year so we can get a better grasp on who he is and how he fits here. Actually I wish we could trade our coach for a third string big.

So there's talk here of trading Dally, Landry, JT and Donte. Why don't we just route for another team? And Carl Landry is a quality player for sure. If we can't be satisfied with him then we should prepare to be equally unsatisfied with his replacement.

Trading for strategic purposes I agree with though, and if we can get something for nothing I'll take it. I'd like to see Dally in a Kings uni at least one more year so we can get a better grasp on who he is and how he fits here. Actually I wish we could trade our coach for a third string big.
Wow.

All anyone is talking about here is trading for strategic purposes. Fact of the matter is that it's out of our control who Dalembert and Landry play for next season, because they are both free agents.

My whole take on the JT/Landry/Donte/Dally being dealt is a trade needs to be made that will improve our team overall and not letting them walk or trading in hopes of getting value before they walk. The return has to be justified. There is lots of time between now and trade deadline before we really get a feel on the JT vs. Landry deal situation but I would assume if we're going to trade one of them + Donte a PF that is superior to them and whomever is leftover should be our focus. At this point a prospect outside the name of Derrick Favors or Blake Griffin or Javale McGee(does he still count as a prospect?) probably wouldn't catch my interest.

Too many questions that need to be answered throughout the season heading to trade deadline before I would make up my mind about anything but I would go after an established player over prospects at this point.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I hope you're right. He is half of the Artest trade after all. If we get zippo for Donte, that trade doesn't look too good.
That trade got rid of Ron Artest. It would look good if all we had gotten in return was a bag of soggy chips and an empty beer cup. Honestly.