Trade Suggestion with Suns

If Dunn falls on draft day, Suns may be interested in trading Knight and their 13th in exchange for our 8th.

Kings do it for solid starting PG plus add young talent at 13.

Suns do it for rebuild to pair Booker with Dunn in backcourt.

Would you do this or keep pick and draft Dunn?

...this assumes phx values Bender or someone at 4 as well as has desire to go younger so would be looking to trade knight and move on from Bledsoe.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I would just take Dunn. And I may be less high on Dunn than most folks on this board - largely because he plays too immature (takes big risks, plays carelessly too often) for his age and I worry that he's going to be an alternating highlight/lowlight reel. But his upside far outstrips Knight + take a chance on whoever falls to #13.

It would be hard for me to say no to this... Knight showed that he was capable as playing PG 2 years ago with the Bucks.
It it was Bledsoe instead, I'd do it.

I'd love him on this team, and he'd automatically give us a 2nd/3rd scoring threat.
If we could end up with Knight+Baldwin IV, I think that would be >>>Dunn. However, I'd say no and just draft Dunn because his ceiling is higher than those guys.

I would just take Dunn. And I may be less high on Dunn than most folks on this board - largely because he plays too immature (takes big risks, plays carelessly too often) for his age and I worry that he's going to be an alternating highlight/lowlight reel. But his upside far outstrips Knight + take a chance on whoever falls to #13.
That's my problem with him too. He plays raw for his age which we just don't see a lot of at all.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Can it be moved to personnel move and add "trade suggestion" to the title?

I thought we MADE a trade.
I didn't want to be that guy but I did sort of get excited when I first saw this. Glad it's moved. Now someone just needs to bump a post in the main forum :)

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't see why the Suns would want Dunn. They've currently got Bledsoe, Knight and Booker and trading Knight for Dunn doesn't balance out their team, it still gives them two starting quality PGs and a young and very promising SG.

I think if the Suns were to trade Bledsoe or Knight they'd do something more like what the Warriors did with Ellis and move one of their guards in an effort to balance the roster, create clear roles for their guards etc. And I think the Suns are looking at what Portland did this year and thinking that they can ret00l around a high scoring backcourt and get better in a hurry. I don't really agree but there's a blueprint there that is pretty easy to follow.

And honestly, I don't see the value for the Kings either. I'm not convinced that Knight is significantly better than Collison and he'd eat up $10 million more of the caproom than the #8 pick would. Knight shot more often but had lower percentages than DC and the Suns were one of the worst defensive teams in the league and were worse defensively (by a few points per 100 possessions) with him on the floor.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
If Dunn falls to #8 we should just draft him. I'd rather have Dunn for 2.5 million next year than Knight at 13 million and I'm not even sure I would trade Dunn for Bledsoe at this point since he can't seem to stay on the floor. I highly doubt he's going to make it all the way to #8 but if he does, I'd be thrilled with that pick. He's probably not going to step in as the starting PG for a few years but he'd be a great change of pace guard off the bench while he learns how to run an NBA team. His PG skills may be a work in progress but he'll be able to get to the basket and he'll be able to defend so that's enough to keep him in the rotation. In any case, I think we need to get over the idea that draft picks should be either NBA ready or traded for veterans. Winning teams use their picks to develop young talent. San Antonio was a perennial playoff team that had recently won a championship with Avery Johnson at PG when they drafted a 19 year old Tony Parker to groom for the future. With a stable front office and coaching staff we should be able to win and develop players at the same time too.

I agree with acquiring and grooming young talent is why i would only consider a team offering a vet and their pick to move into our slot. While yes we would be taking on a vets salary, but consider if we are not able to spend that money on an equal talent the cap room means little. It is a gamble that we will be able to sign a FA target. Alternative option is to find a trade partner looking to rebuild dangling a useful vet we could use that doesnt fit in their future. And importantly, we get their pick for a baldwin, valentine, luwawanu etc