Trade Deadline Thread

It's almost like the Lakers should have made the trade in the summer when they had viable pieces we wanted?

They can go jump off a cliff. It's actually kind of insulting they're trying to come back to trade for Buddy with the guy they acquired for backing out of the deal we had. They made their bed, they can live with it.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I'm firmly back in the camp of Vivek is NOT tooling around. Either Dumars or Monte is running this. So far, looked bad at first, but might just be correcting.
I'm sure Vivek said "we will never do a process make it work" but this feels all very orchestrated by one person with a plan. He (assuming it's Monte) does not seem to be of the mindset that if a trade or signing fails he must immediately go with plan B. That is precisely what the last two FOs did and I believe at some point after 2005 the Maloofs also started to force Petrie to do this against his judgement (there's very much a line of demarcation post-Adelman where "Petrie" stopped making the moves that Geoff Petrie made to build the team).

I'm sure Vivek said "we will never do a process make it work" but this feels all very orchestrated by one person with a plan. He (assuming it's Monte) does not seem to be of the mindset that if a trade or signing fails he must immediately go with plan B. That is precisely what the last two FOs did and I believe at some point after 2005 the Maloofs also started to force Petrie to do this against his judgement (there's very much a line of demarcation post-Adelman where "Petrie" stopped making the moves that Geoff Petrie made to build the team).
Petrie has said many of the moves at the end were based on reducing salary not basketball.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Petrie has said many of the moves at the end were based on reducing salary not basketball.
Yeah, that's part of the reason why there are people convinced the Allen family is getting ready to sell the Blazers. Cutting costs and getting out of longterm salary commitments despite not getting much in return is straight out of the Maloof playbook

It's almost like the Lakers should have made the trade in the summer when they had viable pieces we wanted?

They can go jump off a cliff. It's actually kind of insulting they're trying to come back to trade for Buddy with the guy they acquired for backing out of the deal we had. They made their bed, they can live with it.
I'd say it's not kind of insulting. It's really insulting. The Lakers used the Kings as leverage to get LeBron his guy, but anyone who had any basketball sense at the time said that Hield would have been a better fit. Now the predictable has happened with Russ on the roster, and the Lakers want to crawl back to Monte with less than what they offered for Hield initially? The f*** outta here with that nonsense. They made their bed, indeed. I think most NBA fans outside of LA are savoring the "just desserts" of the Lakers' hubris, but for Kings fans in particular, this one tastes pretty damn sweet.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I'm also thinking about draft picks like Jimmer and Casspi which were obvious attempts to pander to new fan markets (one of these could actually play ball at least). But then there were some really bad trades that weren't cost things either. Or even the constant coach shuffle which had to have cost money to fire/ETO a few of them.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I'd say it's not kind of insulting. It's really insulting. The Lakers used the Kings as leverage to get LeBron his guy, but anyone who had any basketball sense at the time said that Hield would have been a better fit. Now the predictable has happened with Russ on the roster, and the Lakers want to crawl back to Monte with less than what they offered for Hield initially? The f*** outta here with that nonsense. They made their bed, indeed. I think most NBA fans outside of LA are savoring the "just desserts" of the Lakers' hubris, but for Kings fans in particular, this one tastes pretty damn sweet.
Perhaps the only enjoyment I was getting out of this season was the schadenfreude of the Lakers demise. It's possible that knocking them out of the post season either by taking their play in spot or beating them in such a game would be the ultimate cherry on the last however many years as a fan.

I will be honest though after looking at Tetsujin's playin tracker thread I am a lot less optimistic than I was Wednesday night and just followed the "we're 2 games out" as I was thinking 2-3 teams were in the 10 spot not 1 and the rest were 4-5 games up. But banking on winning the lotto in a 4 player draft that likely has 2 Bagley's in it, I'm cool with doing what we did.