Tournament Play

It's not the money per se, but the money produces the cache. The Tournament has grown on me, in part because of how serious the player are taking it. It's kind of like back when the All Star Game was taken seriously. It is now a complete joke.
I saw a good tweet about how this is a TEAM accomplishment as well where they can go win something together. Outside of winning a title, there really aren't a whole lot of team goals where you win a trophy/ring and can call yourself the best. Almost everything else is in individual accomplishment.

And all these dudes are just hyper-competitive. They wouldn't be in the NBA without that drive of just wanting to win and be the best; they added something new to go win so they want to be the best at it and go win.

Instead of the IST guaranteeing you a playoff berth if you win, what if instead it bumps you up 1 or 2 spots in the standings? So if you finish the RS at 6th, you get bumped up to 4th or 5th.

It would still require the winner to try the rest of the season so they are at least close enough to make the playoffs (allowing their bump to catapult them into the playoffs), but it also incentivizes the players to try hard for the in-season tournament since it increases their odds at making the playoffs and/or getting home court advantage in the playoffs.

if the Kings are eliminated tomorrow, then they don’t play for an entire week?

because our next scheduled game that isn’t outcome dependent isn’t until Monday December 11 vs Brooklyn.

and do the teams that advance to Vegas end up having played more games by the end of the season? Do the Vegas games count towards season record?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
if the Kings are eliminated tomorrow, then they don’t play for an entire week?

because our next scheduled game that isn’t outcome dependent isn’t until Monday December 11 vs Brooklyn.

and do the teams that advance to Vegas end up having played more games by the end of the season? Do the Vegas games count towards season record?
I believe they go to the loser of Lakers-Suns

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I believe they go to the loser of Lakers-Suns
Yep, there will be one consolation game. I don't remember seeing much about the "consolation" games - I don't even know if they will be in Vegas or if one of the teams will get a home game. It would make sense to bracket the losers in the West together, but not strictly necessary.

do the teams that advance to Vegas end up having played more games by the end of the season? Do the Vegas games count towards season record?
Only the champion and runner-up, who play three games. The quarterfinal games and semifinal games (and consolation games) count towards the regular season record, so every team has two games this week that count towards the regular season record. Every team that didn't make the IST also now has two games scheduled this week. Only the IST final is a non-regular-season game.

I believe guys will reach Vegas , pelicans are the best option for 1/4 - good team , where whole building will be screaming for revenge , as much as the players , I am sure Kings will pull this off !!!
and to be honest I hope for lakers at 1/2 , think they will suit us better then phoenix ….
Both games at 1/4 and 1/2 counts for regular season , the final will be the extra 83th game for both clubs which won’t count in standings , hope we are going to be in that game !
momentum is here , so let’s capitalise it !!!

The best suggestion I've read here is to play the semi finals and finals at all star weekend to give some prestige.

I would also like to suggest that the finals and semi finals (or whichever games don't count towards the regular season record) be played with at most one timeout per quarter and no coaches challenges. Speed the game up a bit, less advertising breaks and talking heads, acknowledge it's different.