Thibs

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Thibodeau scares me. He's clearly a great coach, and an upgrade in all respects. But he also runs his players into the ground. It's like, is it worth it to shorten Cousins' career by five years, if he can lead us to a championship?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Thibodeau scares me. He's clearly a great coach, and an upgrade in all respects. But he also runs his players into the ground. It's like, is it worth it to shorten Cousins' career by five years, if he can lead us to a championship?
There's a chance Ben McLemore would become the first player in the NBA to average a full 48-minutes-per-game. The man loves to overplay his wingmen.

I see no scenario where the next coach will last five seasons here.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
The counter-argument would be bringing in an up-tempo coach and the impact that could have on Cuz could also shorten his career. A body like Cuz has isn't built to race up and down the floor for 35-40 mins a night. I'd prefer Cuz playing his mins in a defensive oriented, half court system than an up and down, junkball system, but that's just me.

There's risk with Thibs but I'd be a helluva lot more comfortable taking on that risk with him than a number of other candidates or unproven coaches. JVG is my top option, followed by McMillan but I also don't think Vivek/PDA are considering that type of coach.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
That may be a counter-argument, but it's not really a counter-argument to anything I said, unless you're under the mistaken impression that I'm advocating an uptempo coach.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Of course Thibodeau would be a great hire. We're awful defensively and decent to pretty good offensively and he's the number 1 guy on everyone's list as a great teacher of defense. Unfortunately, NBA 3.0. If these guys didn't like Malone's attitude there's no way they're going to get along with Thibs. I don't think he's going to get fired anyway, at least not anytime soon. Perhaps we could re-visit this after PDA and Mullin are gone.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Thibs does run his players into the ground...we have seen it come playoff time when it matters the most. With all that being said, if he is available I don't see how you don't make him an offer...but that would go against the 3.0 motto of "pace" and therefore it's an unlikely scenario. sigh.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
You advocating for it? No. Your opinion or mine in this doesn't mean much. The presumption that our FO and owner want an up-tempo style and a coach who'll employ that model? That means more and to that affect, Thibs running his players into the ground matters less as an up-tempo coach by nature will run a guy Cuz's size into the ground.

I wouldn't be concerned with Thibs' history of "over-working" his players when stacked up against the likely alternative here, with our current regime.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
You're still treating this like it's an either/or. And, maybe it is, but I'm not willing to stipulate that, at this time.

And I would say that they each carry their own problems. I don't want to believe that it's a Boolean, either/or proposition. There's still a teeny, tiny part of me, way down deep in my soul that wants to be optimistic. I don't want to believe that the only two choices are burn Cousins out with heavy minutes, or burn Cousins out playing an ill-advised system. I want to believe that D'Alessandro will see the error of his ways, before it's too late, and realize that the system he wants to run is not the optimal system for our franchise player.

And that's why I asked the question I asked, the way that I asked it. I want the question to be answered independent of what you think the other options are, and just based on that option: if Cthulhu (or your deity of choice) could guarantee you that, under Thibodeau, we'd win an NBA championship in five years, but that, because of his coaching style, fatigue and injuries would force DeMarcus Cousins to retire after ten seasons, would you consider that to be an acceptable tradeoff?

Glenn

Hall of Famer
And that's why I asked the question I asked, the way that I asked it. I want the question to be answered independent of what you think the other options are, and just based on that option: if Cthulhu (or your deity of choice) could guarantee you that, under Thibodeau, we'd win an NBA championship in five years, but that, because of his coaching style, fatigue and injuries would force DeMarcus Cousins to retire after ten seasons, would you consider that to be an acceptable tradeoff?
Yes. :)

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
We agree on that. I too hope it's not an either/or situation but recent actions/statements from our regime lead me to believe they're looking for a real up-tempo coach/system and a coach who'll do as they say, and in that scenario I do worry about the long-term effects that type of a system/style would have on a guy like Cuz.

My top candidate would be JVG, where neither are an issue, but I've seen nothing which suggests he'd be considered by our FO/owner. McMillan is another. I could live with Karl as well but there doesn't appear to be serious interest in him.

"if Cthulhu (or your deity of choice) could guarantee you that, under Thibodeau, we'd win an NBA championship in five years, but that, because of his coaching style, fatigue and injuries would force DeMarcus Cousins to retire after ten seasons, would you consider that to be an acceptable tradeoff?"

My answer would be no, as IMO there's other coaches out there who could get a ring or more with Cuz(with a good FO) without cutting his career short, a career btw where when we see Duncan/Dirk doing what they're doing in their late 30's, should clearly extend beyond age 34 unless there's a freak injury, based on how fundamentally sound and skilled Cuz is. I however would still strongly consider hiring Thibs as I don't see that scenario playing out. It could, but a lot else could happen too.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Cousins really likes Thibs based on their relationship with the national team last summer. I don't know if our front office takes player/coach relationships into account. I have one major example that indicates they don't think a coach with a great relationship with Cousins is important. I know very little about the coaches that are available.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
If we don't turn this around, and post haste, all those extra years of Cuz's career are going to happen in another city. So yeah, absolutely worth it. Could even nab Cuz an MVP. you know he'll get the minutes and the defensive rep instantly.

Yes, and I'm sure with how much Cousins hates losing, he would probably agree.

Not enough style or uptempo offense that the hierarchy is looking at. Thibs is a very very good coach and would be an upgrade on Malone but Vivek, PDA and Mulling would rather stick needles in their eyes than have the team play the style of play that Thibs would introduce.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Not enough style or uptempo offense that the hierarchy is looking at. Thibs is a very very good coach and would be an upgrade on Malone but Vivek, PDA and Mulling would rather stick needles in their eyes than have the team play the style of play that Thibs would introduce.
I'd love it but who am I?

I'd love it but who am I?
I would love it too! Thibs gets it! He would turn us into a defensive power and he would take one look at our roster and realize that this is a power team that should be beating teams up on the inside with DMC and Rudy.

Unfortunately, this is the complete opposite of what the 3 musketeers want.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I would love it too! Thibs gets it! He would turn us into a defensive power and he would take one look at our roster and realize that this is a power team that should be beating teams up on the inside with DMC and Rudy.

Unfortunately, this is the complete opposite of what the 3 musketeers want.
I wonder if our owner could see what was going on under Malone and see the importance of defense. I doubt it. I mention only Vivek as I doubt anyone else has any power.

BTW, after the national team broke up, Cousins expressed his incredible appreciation for Thibs. Any future coach has to get along with the big man. :) It's a fact of life.