Theory: How Blair Plays Without ACLs

Found an article discussing Dejuan Blair and his famous ACLs, or lack thereof. I talked to one of my friends who is an orthopedic surgeon and he said playing without ACLs is like driving a car without tires.

Essentially, the article echos similar conclusion. But it does open the possibility that Blair's body has adapted to the deficiency, in which case, one cannot judge his knees using conventional medical wisdom. In any case, I think of the movie Unbreakable, in a few years Blair may turn out to be like the Bruce Willis character - unbreakable, not even missing ACLs could stop him; or he may turn out Samual Jackson-like, a glass man, or rather, glass knees.

http://www.slate.com/id/2234460/

How can Blair play at a professional level without an ACL to call his own?

With his fingers crossed.

During his high-school surgeries, Blair's doctors did not purposefully remove his ACLs—the going theory is that they tried to repair some partial damage to the ligaments and failed. Then, over time, Blair's ACLs deteriorated to the point of disappearance. Since this was a gradual change, his muscles and other ligaments could have adapted slowly to the added strain. Without such an adjustment period—if his doctors had simply cut out the ligaments, for example—it's likely he would have injured himself on the court quite rapidly. Blair is now thought to face a higher risk of damaging his knees (especially his meniscus) than athletes with repaired ACLs—and he may end up with osteoarthritis.

I talked to one of my friends who is an orthopedic surgeon and he said playing without ACLs is like driving a car without tires.
I'm not sure what the upside part of this analogy is, but the downside is destroyed rims (knees?).

No idea how this man can play with out his ACL. I tried walking on my leg a week after i tore off my ACL. My tibia went one direction and my femur went another way... more power to him.

... and he doesn't even use a derotation brace!

Couple hard plants on my (braced) partially torn ACL and it totally tore all the way...

This guy must have some incredible leg muscles to compensate.