The Wrestling Thread~

I'm kind of out of the loop now. Cut the cable cord back in '13 so I don't see much Raw or Smackdown. I buy the WWE Network subscription for a month every April so I can watch Wrestlemania and get caught up on the storylines.

It's a good deal with all the content they have, but I just don't feel the desire to watch it all year round anymore. It would be cool to go to a live show again though...I haven't been to one since the late 90's. Attitude Era and WCW/nWo era was where it was at for me as a fan.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I think the network is worth it and I can be unreasonably cheap when it comes to subscription services. I also have an (almost) 8 year old boy in the house... and my son too. haha.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Anyone else playing 2k17? It's actually not bad this year despite the usual glitches. They've made it feel a lot more like watching a show (despite being pre-brand split and being more outdated than usual), and there's a lot more freedom with run ins and post match fighting. Even exhibition matches are occasionally spoiled.

Anyways, someone on reddit made a heel Bayley and posted this and I found it rather hilarious.

Anyone else playing 2k17? It's actually not bad this year despite the usual glitches. They've made it feel a lot more like watching a show (despite being pre-brand split and being more outdated than usual), and there's a lot more freedom with run ins and post match fighting. Even exhibition matches are occasionally spoiled.

Anyways, someone on reddit made a heel Bayley and posted this and I found it rather hilarious.
I'm curious what the grappling system/controls are like on the newer generation of wrestling games. I haven't played any of them since the golden age (IMO) of wrestling games, the AKI-developed games that came out for the N64. I loved that the controls were so simple and intuitive.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
It's the Yukes controls which are close but not the same as AKI. The glory years were built around the N64 controller and the big A button, they were definitely slightly simplified controls. But this is a good system. For years the problems with the Yukes games was the speed was too high and the infinite reversals. Since 2K took over they've moved away from that, the games are slower and you get limited reversals so there is some strategy if you really want to use one or not. It's a pretty solid system and the wrestlers sell moves now like they did in the golden age.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Serious WTF.

On a more positive note I think Baron Corbin on Raw and Sami Zayn on Smackdown make a lot of sense, and I think they set a trade up tonight.

Serious WTF.

On a more positive note I think Baron Corbin on Raw and Sami Zayn on Smackdown make a lot of sense, and I think they set a trade up tonight.
That's why I was skeptical about buying Survivor Series. Never cared for Goldberg matches...all he does is the spear and his finisher. One of my happiest moments as a wrestling fan was when nWo ruined his winning streak back in the WCW era.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Takeover was pretty great but weird not a single title changed hands, although that perhaps set up some mystery for the main event.

Get the Revival on SD Tuesday please. Nak too.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Seems like a reasonable indication of whom will and/or won't be getting called up after Mania. Roode retaining likely confirms Nakamura going to Smackdown, while Asuka retaining suggests that the rumors of her getting called up were either false, or someone called an audible. No idea whether one or both losing teams in the triple threat remain in NXT.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I can see DIY continuing a feud with AOP and stealing one back and then getting drafted to one of the big shows?

Asuka is tough because she'd add a lot in-ring but she's rough on the mic and as much as the women's roster has moved away from sex and no in-ring ability the promos are cringe worthy. I think Nak faces similar issues but with his entrance and if they threw him right into a package with AJ nobody is going to complain.

Roode's future WM entrance is going to be the most amaz... oh fine, GLORIOUS, thing ever.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Jinder Mahal retains the WWE Championship in a historic match against Shinsuke Nakamura, at SummerSlam: it was the first time in the 50+ year history of the company that the WWE Championship was contested in a 1-on-1 match between two POC.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Maybe this is a stretch, but between Raw, Smackdown and NXT two of the top three titles now belong to members of 3MB.

Did anyone watch RAW on Monday? If so, what did you think about "The Ultimate Deletion"?

I, for one, and honestly, hated it. I thought it was boring. I thought it was stupid. And I never wanna see that stuff in the WWE ever again.

PS: I watched the first one when TNA did it. I actually thought, and was hoping, that the WWE would have done a far superior job than what TNA tried to put together. But, it wasn't much different, or any better, IMHO...

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I'm more of a workrate mark, so skits like The Ultimate Deletion aren't really relevant to my interests. But I made my peace with that kind of stuff a long time ago.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I didn't hate it, didn't really like it, it just was. It was funny in Impact because Impact is crap. I probably like a good story as much if not more than the in ring work (they should all compliment each other) but this story is all a bit forced to me.