The Vertical Podcast with Chris Mannix: Kosta Koufos (Yahoo Sports)

• Thread starter Yahoo! Sports - NBA -
  • Start date

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
is every player going to chip in on how its been playing for Karl and the Kings this past season? Cousins, Belinelli & Koufos.

The Koufos interview starts at 43:00

Pretty boring stuff until 1:04:00, where Koufos intimated that he wasn't too on-board with Demarcus and his approach to the game.
I'd wager he's one of the uncredited player sources for Voison/Napear claiming Demarcus "sucks all the air out of the locker room".

It sure sounded like he was going to be traded this summer - he worded things like he was gone.

"You make changes when you need to make changes... it just didn't work for some reason."
"You have to find the right mix..."
"For me, you don't read into that stuff that happens off the court..." (unlike Demarcus)

Koufos was obviously on Karl's side, and with Karl gone, Koufos is probably off the Kings.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Pretty boring stuff until 1:04:00, where Koufos intimated that he wasn't too on-board with Demarcus and his approach to the game.
I'd wager he's one of the uncredited player sources for Voison/Napear claiming Demarcus "sucks all the air out of the locker room".

It sure sounded like he was going to be traded this summer - he worded things like he was gone.

"You make changes when you need to make changes... it just didn't work for some reason."
"For me, you don't read into that stuff that happens off the court..." (unlike Demarcus)

Koufos was obviously on Karl's side, and with Karl gone, Koufos is probably off the Kings.
That's not a surprise, if true. If there were indeed 3 players rather than media rats, I always expected Koufos -- old Karl guy remember -- to be one who had no obvious chemistry with Cuz, lost his starting spot because he could not play alongside him, and seemed to come from a completely different school.

Last edited:

Glenn

Hall of Famer

"He intimated that he wasn't too-on-board with Dmarcus and his approach to the game. Did he say what part of Cousins' "approach to the game" he didn't like? Was it taking charges? Was it attacking the rim and drawing fouls" Was Boogie taking too many threes? And then we have an odd segue that KK is one of the people who said Boogie sucks the air out of the locker room which is not an approach to the game. Let us acknowledge that the latter is your guess and whether you think it is a guess or not, it's a guess.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

whoa. if that's what Koufos said about Cousins, I can't wait to see how badly Cousins is going to punish Kosta when he changes teams.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
whoa. if that's what Koufos said about Cousins, I can't wait to see how badly Cousins is going to punish Kosta when he changes teams.
I'd strongly suggest you ... and anyone else ... listen to the podcast yourself and form your own opinion. As pointed out above, the Koufos stuff starts at about the 43:00 mark, with the questions about DMC starting around the 1:04:00.

Koufos' first words? "Demarcus is a really good guy..."

I listened to the whole thing and didn't hear anything that intimated anything negative about Demarcus. He was very diplomatic in saying that it just didn't work and that everyone had a part in it. He didn't point anything at anyone.
I can't read these kinds of 3rd person items so thank you for giving your impression. If you are right then these other posts are dissing Kosta when he doesn't deserve it. Thank you.

I didn't hear anything at all that sounded negative towards Cousins, or anyone else for that matter. To me he was pretty matter of fact that it just didn't work and that everyone had a hand in it. He didn't seem real upset about it just focused on working and getting better. I kept waiting for him to say something controversial but he never did. If anything it sounds like he likes Demarcus.

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

To borrow a phrase from a good friend of mine, "I'm just curious, what color is the sky in your world?"

I listened to the pod cast this morning - all of the Koufos interview and some of the other chunks that I thought were interesting including the discussion about the Kings coaching job.

And as I listened to it I kept thinking that Koufos came across as a good guy but also a guy who gave the most bland, purposely milquetoast and uncontroversial answers possible.

There was absolutely zero finger pointing or assigning of blame. When asked about Karl saying he wasn't supported by the front office Koufos said, "Ignorance is bliss" intimating that he had no idea about Vlade & Karl. When asked why the season didn't go well he said, "One through fifteen we just didn't get the job done". Koufos even ducked the question of who the best center he's ever played against was.

The ONLY things he said about Cousins were:

• DeMarcus is a really good guy
  • He can really do it all on the basketball court
  • Cousins is one of the best centers he's played with
I heard nothing from him that made it sound like he was going to be traded or that he wanted out. He talked a lot about being a professional, working on his game and having fun every day playing basketball. The only thing he said about the Kings and his future was that he was going to continue to work hard and play hard, whether that's in Sacramento or somewhere else.

I honestly can't believe that anyone listening to that interview could come away thinking that they got any real insight into team dynamics or that Koufos "wasn't on board with Cousins". Maybe Kosta hates playing with Boogie, I have no idea. But I think anyone who thinks they got that out of what was said in that podcast is hearing what they want to hear.

Koufos was the third least passed to player in the league based on playing time. WCS was #1. I don't envision a guy like Koufos would play too well with DMC and it shows. I am still a firm believer that if this team is going to do anything that they need to cut down on Boogie's usage and get everyone involved. But that's neither here nor there. I get if Koufos wants out. He hasn't fit. Luckily his contract isn't huge so we might get something out of him. If he was the rat to the media then forget him. If not and he just wants greener pastures then the best of luck to him. He seems like a solid guy with good character so I feel like it's the latter.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Koufos was the third least passed to player in the league based on playing time. WCS was #1. I don't envision a guy like Koufos would play too well with DMC and it shows. I am still a firm believer that if this team is going to do anything that they need to cut down on Boogie's usage and get everyone involved. But that's neither here nor there. I get if Koufos wants out. He hasn't fit. Luckily his contract isn't huge so we might get something out of him. If he was the rat to the media then forget him. If not and he just wants greener pastures then the best of luck to him. He seems like a solid guy with good character so I feel like it's the latter.
Koufos didn't say he wanted out. You should listen to the interview and not someone else's interpretation.

I'm not sure what you heard. I
To borrow a phrase from a good friend of mine, "I'm just curious, what color is the sky in your world?"

I listened to the pod cast this morning - all of the Koufos interview and some of the other chunks that I thought were interesting including the discussion about the Kings coaching job.

And as I listened to it I kept thinking that Koufos came across as a good guy but also a guy who gave the most bland, purposely milquetoast and uncontroversial answers possible.

There was absolutely zero finger pointing or assigning of blame. When asked about Karl saying he wasn't supported by the front office Koufos said, "Ignorance is bliss" intimating that he had no idea about Vlade & Karl. When asked why the season didn't go well he said, "One through fifteen we just didn't get the job done". Koufos even ducked the question of who the best center he's ever played against was.

The ONLY things he said about Cousins were:

• DeMarcus is a really good guy
  • He can really do it all on the basketball court
  • Cousins is one of the best centers he's played with
I heard nothing from him that made it sound like he was going to be traded or that he wanted out. He talked a lot about being a professional, working on his game and having fun every day playing basketball. The only thing he said about the Kings and his future was that he was going to continue to work hard and play hard, whether that's in Sacramento or somewhere else.

I honestly can't believe that anyone listening to that interview could come away thinking that they got any real insight into team dynamics or that Koufos "wasn't on board with Cousins". Maybe Kosta hates playing with Boogie, I have no idea. But I think anyone who thinks they got that out of what was said in that podcast is hearing what they want to hear.
Agreed. I had just listened to it and was surprised at people perceiving something negative from it.

Well, there was this episode... (I always have trouble embedding video). It was hilarious and the way KK handled it - high fiving himself - was pretty creative.

I am still a firm believer that if this team is going to do anything that they need to cut down on Boogie's usage and get everyone involved.
I'm sure an overwhelming majority agrees with this. But let's also realize that they have relied upon Boogie out of necessity because they haven't had enough talent otherwise. Everyone is well aware of the teams record w/o Cousins in the lineup over the years. But, when Cuz does play, I think many forget the in-game drop off that has routinely happened when he went to the bench for some rest. How many times have we seen the Kings hang with their opponent until Cuz sits down? Even against really good teams.

That's how you end up over-reliant on your star player.

The supporting cast and bench improved this past year from what it had been, but they still have more work to do in that regard.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
It's no wonder that most of the info on the forum is pure BS. Most of you just make assumptions instead of actually reading, or listening to the actual information. I suggest that everyone actually try listening to the interview before making it into what you want it to be. Koufos didn't say one negative thing about Cousins, or the Kings, or Karl. When prodded, he simply said he stays away from that kind of stuff. Doesn't listen to it on the radio, or read the newspapers.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I'm sure an overwhelming majority agrees with this. But let's also realize that they have relied upon Boogie out of necessity because they haven't had enough talent otherwise. Everyone is well aware of the teams record w/o Cousins in the lineup over the years. But, when Cuz does play, I think many forget the in-game drop off that has routinely happened when he went to the bench for some rest. How many times have we seen the Kings hang with their opponent until Cuz sits down? Even against really good teams.

That's how you end up over-reliant on your star player.

The supporting cast and bench improved this past year from what it had been, but they still have more work to do in that regard.
Somebody said we needed a coach who could maximize Cousins. I honestly don't see why. He's doing fine on the court. What we needed last year was a coach who could maximize Belinelli and maybe even Gay.

Somebody said we needed a coach who could maximize Cousins. I honestly don't see why. He's doing fine on the court. What we needed last year was a coach who could maximize Belinelli and maybe even Gay.
This part of why I think that Vlade might be leaning towards Messina as our coach. Messina is an offensive genius and with him, it's all about ball movement and not holding onto the ball, whether it's driving and kicking or playing from inside out (depended on what players his team had). Pop has credited Ettore for improving Spurs offence and ball movement since he has been there.

If the rumors of Elston Turner being pencilled in for an associate coach position are true, it might suggest to my imaginative mind that Turner is here for the defense and Messina is here for the offence. I have my reservations about Messina's style translating to the NBA and especially Kings team but there is no denying that he has a great basketball mind.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
This part of why I think that Vlade might be leaning towards Messina as our coach. Messina is an offensive genius and with him, it's all about ball movement and not holding onto the ball, whether it's driving and kicking or playing from inside out (depended on what players his team had). Pop has credited Ettore for improving Spurs offence and ball movement since he has been there.

If the rumors of Elston Turner being pencilled in for an associate coach position are true, it might suggest to my imaginative mind that Turner is here for the defense and Messina is here for the offence. I have my reservations about Messina's style translating to the NBA and especially Kings team but there is no denying that he has a great basketball mind.
I've been thinking that too. A nice combination IMO.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I've been thinking that too. A nice combination IMO.
We have a lot of options don't we? There are 30 jobs and about 50 people who want to coach. (Don't count and find out 50 is way off but you get the idea.) We got impulsive on Karl and probably overwhelmed with his status. Now we have a GM who knows basketball.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have a lot of options don't we? There are 30 jobs and about 50 people who want to coach. (Don't count and find out 50 is way off but you get the idea.) We got impulsive on Karl and probably overwhelmed with his status. Now we have a GM who knows basketball.
I think Vlade plans to interview one coach for every game the Kings won this season. If that's the case I think he's only got 4 or 5 left.

One drawback to Divac as GM is that he doesn't have tons of connections throughout the NBA which makes these interviews more necessary. A guy who had been running in NBA circles for years would probably have had enough contact with coaching staffs etc that he'd already have a short list in his mind of potential candidates.

Divac is really starting from scratch. That has pluses and minuses.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Kosta is a Boogie supporter. When he mentions finding the right mix, he's talking about the rest of the roster. I've heard many interviews from Kosta. He has nothing but good things to say about the boogie man.
If he's onboard too it would virtually ensure Boogie referring to the media , specifically Grant, Ailene, and that other Bee moron. And BTW he normally is. So often when we go looking for meaning or enemies in Boogie's statements or tweets etc. he is talking about the media, who he loathes nearly as much as refs.

Ailene's buffonery aside, if Kosta says good things about Cuz, Marco said the same thing about him being a great guy in midseason, Omri is a friend, Rondo is a friend, WCS is his boy from Kentucky, Acy seems a spiritual wingman, I remember Boogie up in the stands while he was out mentoring Ben, the Curry thing at the end of the season, Butler speaking up for him after the season.

who the hell would possibly be left to feed Ailene's little fantasy? CD and Gay, his lieutenant's form last year? Be aboout it.

But you have to be very very careful when Ailene is lying/opens her mouth. Watch how she worded that accusation and what you will find out is she will have moved the timestamp around so that you read in THIS SEASON without her ever actually saying it. Once you realize that, then it becomes simple enough for her to be talking about virtually any Kings from Boogie's entire tenure here.

This is
If he's onboard too it would virtually ensure Boogie referring to the media , specifically Grant, Ailene, and that other Bee moron. And BTW he normally is. So often when we go looking for meaning or enemies in Boogie's statements or tweets etc. he is talking about the media, who he loathes nearly as much as refs.

Ailene's buffonery aside, if Kosta says good things about Cuz, Marco said the same thing about him being a great guy in midseason, Omri is a friend, Rondo is a friend, WCS is his boy from Kentucky, Acy seems a spiritual wingman, I remember Boogie up in the stands while he was out mentoring Ben, the Curry thing at the end of the season, Butler speaking up for him after the season.

who the hell would possibly be left to feed Ailene's little fantasy? CD and Gay, his lieutenant's form last year? Be aboout it.

But you have to be very very careful when Ailene is lying/opens her mouth. Watch how she worded that accusation and what you will find out is she will have moved the timestamp around so that you read in THIS SEASON without her ever actually saying it. Once you realize that, then it becomes simple enough for her to be talking about virtually any Kings from Boogie's entire tenure here.
This is exactly the stuff I hate. Instead of worrying about basketball we are left trying to figure out what players like Cousins and which are the rats. Guess what if there is a player in the lockerroom that feels its necessary to give some anonymous intel to the media, there is probably something there. NBA players are like a unionized brotherhood. You would really have to rub someone the wrong way for a fellow player to call you out gor your antics. I would love to have a team where the only thing we have to worry about is basketball.Also Bellinelli and Koufos are true professionals that come from class organizations. I will refuse to ever buy into the script that these guys are lockerroom cancers that are out to kill Demarcus for Karl, that is just laughable.