The (Second?) Annual KingsFans.com Charity Bet Matching Thread

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Well, the 2023 trade deadline is now over, and while the Kings didn't make any major trades, they also didn't make any major firings.

As most on the board are probably aware, @The_Jamal and @kb02 had an outstanding $100 charity bet hinging on whether or not Monte McNair would be fired by the trade deadline. @The_Jamal has won the bet, so it's time for him to determine which charity he would like to benefit, and time for somebody else to pay up.

I say "somebody else", because the loser of the bet has a history or refusing to honor charity bets...and quietly walked away from the board about a month ago (when it was becoming abundantly clear that the bet would be decided against him).

Last year, we had multiple posters step up and cover the charity bet in place of @kb02 (who subsequently was shamed into donating...but apparently to a different charity of his own choice rather than the one designated by the winner) - to the tune of well over $1000 total. This year, I think it would be great if KingsFans.com as a community could step up again! Let's see how much good we can do!

As such, I will be the first to stand up and pledge to cover the charity bet - my $100 will go to the charity which @The_Jamal designates. Join me if you can, won't you?

Well, the 2023 trade deadline is now over, and while the Kings didn't make any major trades, they also didn't make any major firings.

As most on the board are probably aware, @The_Jamal and @kb02 had an outstanding $100 charity bet hinging on whether or not Monte McNair would be fired by the trade deadline. @The_Jamal has won the bet, so it's time for him to determine which charity he would like to benefit, and time for somebody else to pay up.

I say "somebody else", because the loser of the bet has a history or refusing to honor charity bets...and quietly walked away from the board about a month ago (when it was becoming abundantly clear that the bet would be decided against him).

Last year, we had multiple posters step up and cover the charity bet in place of @kb02 (who subsequently was shamed into donating...but apparently to a different charity of his own choice rather than the one designated by the winner) - to the tune of well over $1000 total. This year, I think it would be great if KingsFans.com as a community could step up again! Let's see how much good we can do!

As such, I will be the first to stand up and pledge to cover the charity bet - my $100 will go to the charity which @The_Jamal designates. Join me if you can, won't you?
If you REALLY want me to, @Capt. Factorial, I can become this forum's "new" @kb02, but will promise that any and every bet that goes against me will be acknowledged...:):):). I won't run away and hide like a scared little chicken (not preferred)...

Or, we can just save this board some more misery, and just have me continue to be the individual I have been since joining this forum (preferred)...

:p:p:p

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
If you REALLY want me to, @Capt. Factorial, I can become this forum's "new" @kb02, but will promise that any and every bet that goes against me will be acknowledged...:):):). I won't run away and hide like a scared little chicken (not preferred)...

Or, we can just save this board some more misery, and just have me continue to be the individual I have been since joining this forum (preferred)...

:p:p:p
Stick to cats.

Wait! What?

You have to have a bet between the realists and the rainbow pumpers first. I can speak for KB but I always pay my bets. Problem is I’m not sure what camp you fall in. So @PorchSurfin you want to frame a bet for the rainbow pumpers?

Also @iowamcnabb and I had bet #1 and I know he was good for it.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Wait! What?

You have to have a bet between the realists and the rainbow pumpers first. I can speak for KB but I always pay my bets. Problem is I’m not sure what camp you fall in.
I trust the "what camp you fall in" wasn't directed at me (whom you quoted...so kind of the referent of the pronoun?), as I've already covered $100 of kb02's bet last year and committed to covering another $100 this year as soon as winner @The_Jamal names the charity. As for myself, I haven't ever made any charity bets, but seeing as I cover other people's reneging on bets I wouldn't have made, I guess I probably don't need to be in the business.

But the point of this thread is: will you match me? No "realists", no "rainbow pumpers", just Kings fans seeing a "bad turn" (somebody reneging for the second time on a charity bet) and taking it upon themselves to do a good turn in answer. I'm making sure that the bet is good. What I'm asking is this: will the rest of you help make sure that the bet is more than good? Will you match me, @sactowndog? Let's put a little money towards a good cause...you, me, and anybody else who wants to join us. You in?

I trust the "what camp you fall in" wasn't directed at me (whom you quoted...so kind of the referent of the pronoun?), as I've already covered $100 of kb02's bet last year and committed to covering another $100 this year as soon as winner @The_Jamal names the charity. As for myself, I haven't ever made any charity bets, but seeing as I cover other people's reneging on bets I wouldn't have made, I guess I probably don't need to be in the business.

But the point of this thread is: will you match me? No "realists", no "rainbow pumpers", just Kings fans seeing a "bad turn" (somebody reneging for the second time on a charity bet) and taking it upon themselves to do a good turn in answer. I'm making sure that the bet is good. What I'm asking is this: will the rest of you help make sure that the bet is more than good? Will you match me, @sactowndog? Let's put a little money towards a good cause...you, me, and anybody else who wants to join us. You in?
Sure happy to donate.

The camp comment was more the realist versus the Rainbow crowd. I can’t clearly put you in either crowd. Poor writing on my part.

As to the bet, assuming both sides pay up the bet is more entertaining than anything else with a charity being the beneficiary as was the case with @iowamcnabb and I.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
The camp comment was more the realist versus the Rainbow crowd. I can’t clearly put you in either crowd. Poor writing on my part.
Ah, that's because I'm both. Really I think there's three camps, adding cynics to your two above. I kind of have a foot in all three but I try to leave my cynic hat off as much as possible around here.

Alright, got my charity I think we can all rally behind. Animals! No personal connection to this charity like last year, but if we can help a few furry friends by KB02 being wrong once again, I think it's a great cause.

https://sspca.salsalabs.org/2020donations/index.html

From what I can see, they're very transparent with how they spend their funds and they seem to really help animals in the Sacramento area

https://www.sspca.org/data-transparency

https://www.charitynavigator.org/ein/941312343

1676307898796.png

All of you are awesome. I started these charity with Kb02 for mostly purely selfish reasons because I enjoy me being right and him being wrong. But this thread and our last years thread have been the best reminder to make a better effort to give when I can and that we can make a pretty great impact when we come together as a community.

From what I see, $700 in posted screenshots+ a few others in the thread who didn't post. So my guess is around $900? And IIRC, we were around $2700 in last year's thread as well.

Pretty dang cool a random Kings fan forum can do that in a year because of a bet welcher. We love to see it.