The Official sign Eric Moreland Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, but part of me still thinks that if say Brooks shines as a 6th man it make's Mclemore a lot more moveable and I still think he has ok value and there would be teams willing to take a shot at him (packaged with Derrick Williams expiring) to maybe land that shot blocker (e.g. Larry Sanders if he show some form of sanity.).
If Brooks is our 6th man next year we are in serious trouble. Nothing he has done in summer league this year should change people's opinion in what he's done over his career. He scored 34 in a Summer League game 2 years ago and still has the same issues with his game. If we somehow cleared out some roster spots with a trade, he'd be fine as an end-of-bench scorer.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not to get too far ahead of ourselves here, but I really like what I've seen from Moreland in the Summer League so far. And he matches up VERY well to a guy that a lot of people have wanted to see next to DMC - Taj Gibson.

At the combine Gibson measured out at 6'8.5" (6'9.75" in shoes) with a 7'4" wingspan and 9'1" standing reach and weighed 214 lbs with 6.6% body fat.

Moreland measured out at 6'9" (6'10.25" in shoes) with a 7'3.5" wingspan and 9'2" standing reach and weighed 224 lbs with 7.9% body fat.

And their last two years of college stats are really similar as well with both playing in the Pac-12 so similar levels of competition.

Comparing their per 40 numbers (Gibson played a few more minutes per game) Gibson took more shots per game and shot a slightly higher percentage from the floor and also is the better FT shooter (though neither guy is great from the line Gibson shot 65% his last year of college vs Moreland's 57%) but Moreland averaged slightly more rebounds, steals and assists. Both guys were good shot blockers both averaging around 3.4 per 40 minutes.

Part of Moreland's drop was his suspension that cost him 14 games this year (as far as I know the reason for the suspension was never made public) and either staying the same or slightly regressing in most stats instead of taking the big jump forward that scouts wanted to see him make. And then he slid in the 2nd round because he was opposed to the idea of developing overseas.

Too soon to get too excited but there's a decent chance that the Kings might have discovered the type of solid, roleplaying PF that they need even if he's not ready to assume a big role just yet.

EDIT: Looking for more info on Moreland I was watching YouTube videos and funny enough in his interview with Golden State he says that the guy he watches and wants to emulate is . . . Taj Gibson. More importantly, he talked about developing his pick and pop, his jab step jumper etc so that he'd be a threat/effective offensively to go along with doing the dirty work on defense and the boards. He absolutely has the right attitude, at least in interviews and from what I've seen in summer league. Also seems to have a pretty good handle for a big with his skill set. Nice.

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Brooks is our 6th man next year we are in serious trouble. Nothing he has done in summer league this year should change people's opinion in what he's done over his career. He scored 34 in a Summer League game 2 years ago and still has the same issues with his game. If we somehow cleared out some roster spots with a trade, he'd be fine as an end-of-bench scorer.
If no major moves are made going into the season then our options for a sixth man are pretty limited. I expect Collison and Stauskas to start but if some reason the team started McCallum and/or McLemore then either of those guys could be the sixth man. Otherwise the best option for a consistent scoring threat off the bench is likely to be Carl Landry which I have very mixed feelings about.

In my mind Landry coming in and putting up solid to good numbers off the bench would enhance the chances of another team being willing to trade for him but I would assume that if Landry put up decent numbers the Kings' FO would take it as a sign that they were correct to sign him and not even consider shopping him.

We'll see.

Sign him! love the way the guy attacks rebounds and contests shots. Also when he doesn't jump for blocks, he does a good job of standing his ground and putting his arms straight up so he doesnt draw fouls

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Oriakhi is potentially available to play for our Summer League team provided that he passes a physical. I saw something that said we were hoping to get him eligible for the game yesterday, but he did not play. I don't know if he was eligible.
Are you sure about this part? I thought Oriakhi was sitting on the Sun's SL bench the past 2 games? It seems to me that since he has NOT signed a contract with an NBA team for the season but DID agree to play summer ball for the Sun's they have him for the rest of SL play.

Do you guys remember Justin Williams? What do you guys see as the main difference between Moreland and Justin. I remember being really excited about Justin Williams but he sort of disappeared

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you guys remember Justin Williams? What do you guys see as the main difference between Moreland and Justin. I remember being really excited about Justin Williams but he sort of disappeared
It's a fair question to ask.

Justin Williams played roughly the same level of competition in the Big 10 as Moreland did in the Pac-12 and Williams blocked a lot more shots. 5.4 per game in his final season at Wisconsin.

Yeah, he measured a bit smaller than Moreland at 6 '7.25" with a 7' 1.5" wingspan and 9' 1" standing reach at 211 lbs but not troublingly smaller. Especially since he was a pogo stick, quick jumper with good timing on blocks. Williams looked good in the summer league too. And I was a fan. In his first year with the Kings he got sent to the D-League and put up just about 13 & 13 with over 3 blocks a game.

But like Whiteside, things just didn't click for him. He didn't have the best on court awareness and he often went out of his way to challenge shots at the expense of the team defense just like Hassan did. Still, he had the tools to be a useful roleplayer and was soon out of the league.

Moreland could follow the exact same trajectory. He's an undrafted but athletic big. Lots of teams passed on him and the deck is stacked against him. But like Williams, there definitely is something there to work with. And honestly, just from his interview I think he's got a better chance of succeeding if only because he says the right things and seems to be smarter than Williams (and Whiteside) was.

J

jdbraver

Reggie Evans and JT are far superior players. You don't shelve them to put in a one dimensional guy that will get pushed around.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
It didn't cost us much to give Justin Williams or Hassan Whiteside a shot. It didn't work out with those guys, but that doesn't mean Moreland won't work out. He's basically a free lottery ticket at this point. We don't really have room on our roster for a deep bench guard however they may impress in summer league -- with so much young talent there already they wouldn't ever get minutes anyway-- but we don't have anyone who gives us what Moreland potentially can at this point. I'd say that's worth a minimum contract and a roster spot and we'll see what happens from there.

It's a fair question to ask.

Justin Williams played roughly the same level of competition in the Big 10 as Moreland did in the Pac-12 and Williams blocked a lot more shots. 5.4 per game in his final season at Wisconsin.

Yeah, he measured a bit smaller than Moreland at 6 '7.25" with a 7' 1.5" wingspan and 9' 1" standing reach at 211 lbs but not troublingly smaller. Especially since he was a pogo stick, quick jumper with good timing on blocks. Williams looked good in the summer league too. And I was a fan. In his first year with the Kings he got sent to the D-League and put up just about 13 & 13 with over 3 blocks a game.

But like Whiteside, things just didn't click for him. He didn't have the best on court awareness and he often went out of his way to challenge shots at the expense of the team defense just like Hassan did. Still, he had the tools to be a useful roleplayer and was soon out of the league.

Moreland could follow the exact same trajectory. He's an undrafted but athletic big. Lots of teams passed on him and the deck is stacked against him. But like Williams, there definitely is something there to work with. And honestly, just from his interview I think he's got a better chance of succeeding if only because he says the right things and seems to be smarter than Williams (and Whiteside) was.
Wasn't Williams from Wyoming, or somewhere out there? If so, I give the upside nod to Moreland for playing in the Pac 1o.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reggie Evans and JT are far superior players. You don't shelve them to put in a one dimensional guy that will get pushed around.
It didn't cost us much to give Justin Williams or Hassan Whiteside a shot. It didn't work out with those guys, but that doesn't mean Moreland won't work out. He's basically a free lottery ticket at this point. We don't really have room on our roster for a deep bench guard however they may impress in summer league -- with so much young talent there already they wouldn't ever get minutes anyway-- but we don't have anyone who gives us what Moreland potentially can at this point. I'd say that's worth a minimum contract and a roster spot and we'll see what happens from there.
That's exactly right. Nobody is anointing Moreland a starter just an intriguing possibility for down the road. If he made the roster he'd be an end of the bench guy. That said, the Kings currently have four or five PFs (Thompson, Evans, Landry, Acy and Derrick Williams as a SF/PF swing not to mention the kid from the PHX trade) none of whom have been ideal fits with Cousins. And two of whom (Evans and Acy) are free agents after the season. If Moreland impresses in camp then you sign him to a small deal and hope he develops. If he does you possibly have a diamond in the rough. If he doesn't then no harm, no foul.

But if he really could become a Taj Gibson like player then I think he'd be ideal to pair with Cousins. And at a flat out bargain rate, at least for now.

Wasn't Williams from Wyoming, or somewhere out there? If so, I give the upside nod to Moreland for playing in the Pac 1o.
You're right. I said Wisconsin but it was Wyoming. Big difference between the Big 10 and the Mountain West.

J

jdbraver

That's exactly right. Nobody is anointing Moreland a starter just an intriguing possibility for down the road. If he made the roster he'd be an end of the bench guy. That said, the Kings currently have four or five PFs (Thompson, Evans, Landry, Acy and Derrick Williams as a SF/PF swing not to mention the kid from the PHX trade) none of whom have been ideal fits with Cousins. And two of whom (Evans and Acy) are free agents after the season. If Moreland impresses in camp then you sign him to a small deal and hope he develops. If he does you possibly have a diamond in the rough. If he doesn't then no harm, no foul.

But if he really could become a Taj Gibson like player then I think he'd be ideal to pair with Cousins. And at a flat out bargain rate, at least for now.

You're right. I said Wisconsin but it was Wyoming. Big difference between the Big 10 and the Mountain West.
Id rather not tie up cap space. Even small space at this point.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
So you want to sign Moreland but we have about 5 PF's that are ahead of him on the depth chart. Pass. He is active and I appreciate the hustle, but we can surely do better.

So you want to sign Moreland but we have about 5 PF's that are ahead of him on the depth chart. Pass. He is active and I appreciate the hustle, but we can surely do better.
He is 6'10.25 with a 7'3 wingspan and 9'2 standing reach. He can play backup Center/rim protector, he doesn't have to be a PF.

and, he brings something to the table that none of our overpayed PF's can, so i say give him a shot

Entity

Hall of Famer
One thing he doesn't bring to the table is his appetite. He is about 30 lbs light to be effective outside of weak side defense.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Justin Williams had the IQ of a rutabaga.
He had his moments though. When he got some time his rookie year he put up a few double doubles and had some nice blocks. Was only a stretch of about 12 games. After that he feel off the face of the earth

gunks

Hall of Famer
I'm all for it. Doubt he would get more than garbage time minutes but who knows? I think JT is getting shipped out before the trade deadline. Evans is getting old. Landry is....Well, a King unfortunately...

Good low risk high reward prospect.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
He is 6'10.25 with a 7'3 wingspan and 9'2 standing reach. He can play backup Center/rim protector, he doesn't have to be a PF.

and, he brings something to the table that none of our overpayed PF's can, so i say give him a shot
Thing is...your not paying your overpaid PF's to sit on the bench. You want to play them to make an attempt to boost their value and then you can hopefully try to trade them. How is it going to look if Moreland is playing over those guys? doesn't help that he is a rookie.

First, we haven't got any shot-blocker or lights-out shooter in this team for a few years now. We have a potential shooter in Stauskas now. So, the only missing piece is that shot blocker.

Second, Regie Evans, JT, Landry, and whoever PF or C in this team will never be that shot-blocker BIG we need. We already know that. Even Cousins had confirmed by stating his desire for us to have another shot blocking BIG - meaning we've got none.

Third, we have very little cap space and it seems we don't have worthy assets to trade and get that shot-blocker BIG. If we have some, the FO could have acquired that shot-blocker BIG through trade by now.

Fourth, it is not as if there is an abundance of shot blocker BIGs in the market. We cannot be picky and shy away from gambling and taking an almost negligible risk in Moreland. This is a very low risk and a very high reward situation. If he does not pan out, we get rid of him.

Fifth, we need to add more excitement on this team this coming season. We need somebody tough to excite the whole team.

We need somebody to energize our defense even through facial expression only like...................................................................................................................................................................

Thing is...your not paying your overpaid PF's to sit on the bench. You want to play them to make an attempt to boost their value and then you can hopefully try to trade them. How is it going to look if Moreland is playing over those guys? doesn't help that he is a rookie.
unfortunately i think playing Jason Thompson will only further lower his trade value
It is not as if Moreland will play more than 10 minutes/game at once.

Besides, we don't have 5 PFs in this team. Acy and DWill are supposed to be SFs and Thompson is a C when Cousins is out on the bench.

So, technically we can say we only have 2 PFs in Landry and Evans.

Last edited:

Entity

Hall of Famer
unfortunately i think playing Jason Thompson will only further lower his trade value
JT played on a team with one of the best rebounders in the NBA. Only 11 players averaged double digit rebounds last year. We had one of them. JT still had rebound numbers on par with Chris bosh, Roy hibbert, taj Gibson, Thad young, Tiago splitter ect...... JT only averaged 6 attempts a game at 50% nobody wants to look at attempts only total points. Same with minutes. I mean if JT shot 4 more times a game he then averages 12 pts a game. JT averages more blks than Blake griffin, Kevin love, Greg Monroe, Ed Davis,..

I say all that to say this if given the min and shot attempts JT would average the same as several players that are on everyone's wish list except JT is about 2 mil a year cheaper..

So no it would not lower his value.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
It is not as if Moreland will play more than 10 minutes/game at once.

Besides, we don't have 5 PFs in this team. Acy and DWill are supposed to be SFs and Thompson is a C when Cousins is out on the bench.

So, technically we can say we only have 2 PFs in Landry and Evans.
JT, Landry, Evans, Acy & Oriakhi...all PF's

JT played on a team with one of the best rebounders in the NBA. Only 11 players averaged double digit rebounds last year. We had one of them. JT still had rebound numbers on par with Chris bosh, Roy hibbert, taj Gibson, Thad young, Tiago splitter ect...... JT only averaged 6 attempts a game at 50% nobody wants to look at attempts only total points. Same with minutes. I mean if JT shot 4 more times a game he then averages 12 pts a game. JT averages more blks than Blake griffin, Kevin love, Greg Monroe, Ed Davis,..

I say all that to say this if given the min and shot attempts JT would average the same as several players that are on everyone's wish list except JT is about 2 mil a year cheaper..

So no it would not lower his value.
Maybe you can text this to all the GM's around the league and we might finally get someone to take him and his contract in a trade

Entity

Hall of Famer
Maybe you can text this to all the GM's around the league and we might finally get someone to take him and his contract in a trade
Or maybe we shouldn't be so eager to trade the 2nd best big man on the team. Should he be 2nd? No. Should be 3. But why trade 2 to get a 2. Especially when you got 4,5,6,7 still on the team. That's where the focus should be

Status
Not open for further replies.