The NBA has banned upside-down headbands - Yahoo

Well I think the league's got a point and are right.

Those guys are paid lots of money representing the league world-wide.. they can show some respect and wear the logo as it was ment to be, and stop with the 'im an outlaw I do whatever I want' attitude they have going.

Uoi might call them petty, but so are the players choosing to disrespect the leagues logo and do whatever they want with no apperent reason(again, cause of this league they're filthy rich anyways)

You don't see millionaire MLB players (average salary $3.5/mil) wearing their caps backwards just because it's said to be, "fashionable cool." However, others might say they disrespect the national pastime by sometimes wearing them inside out or reversed in all kinds of silly ways as game rally cap. I know NFL and NHL are extremely strict on what they allow, don't allow regarding their players attire in game and on sidelines - even more so than NBA and MLB.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I don't have a problem with it. It's got the logo on it. Uniform... uniformity. If it was only done like a rally cap I doubt they'd care. Nor when it is one guy. When half the league is doing it it is silly. Like messages on eye black, etc...

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I saw this yesterday. I wonder what's going to be banned next? Maybe the will to breathe or having long shorts or no spikey/afro hair. 0_o

I think it is silly to not allow them to wear headbands anyway they want. I think it is even worse that they have to be NBA branded ones. Athletes in particular do all kinds of things in the name of superstitions in order to get an edge. Maybe they are just doing it to rebel, so what?

Next up, only NBA issued shoes will be allowed. No double-knotted laces. Soon after will follow the NBA sponsored braces, pads, tattoo covers, socks etc.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Maybe they are just doing it to rebel, so what?
So what? So the organization that makes it possible for its employees to make millions of dollars a year to play a game does not want to be disrespected by said employees, that's what. Seems fair to me. Name another job where the employer tolerates being disrespected by its workers. During work hours. On national TV.

I honestly can't see why any player even has cause to complain about this, much less a fan. It's a uniform requirement. It hurts nobody. Save your indignation for something that actually matters.

So what? So the organization that makes it possible for its employees to make millions of dollars a year to play a game does not want to be disrespected by said employees, that's what. Seems fair to me. Name another job where the employer tolerates being disrespected by its workers. During work hours. On national TV.

I honestly can't see why any player even has cause to complain about this, much less a fan. It's a uniform requirement. It hurts nobody. Save your indignation for something that actually matters.
It's so not a big deal, but that's why it's petty. Just another stupid rule the NBA is imposing that makes zero sense. Nobody cares whether players wear their headbands upside down or inside out or whatever.

I would compare this issue with that of an office manager requiring workers to make sure their pencils are on the right side of the desk, stapler on the left and that all pens must be faced down in whatever cup they may be placed in. Sure it's a rule, but if I like my stapler on the left side - what's it to you? Am I really offending you? Do you think everyone who comes into the offer thinks that I am disrespecting my boss because of said placement? A little diversity is nice.

Basketball is a game of style - from the way players dribble, to how they pass and dunk. Allowing them express little of that through their clothing (much like they do with shoes) is something I enjoy. It can help fans relate by dressing like their favorite player. I only see it as a benefit to the game and fans. Like you said, it hurts nobody... but it just might help many.

On a side note, your remark about the players making millions of dollars to play a game seems a little bitter. Do you think they shouldn't be paid that much?

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Basketball is a game of style - from the way players dribble, to how they pass and dunk. Allowing them express little of that through their clothing (much like they do with shoes) is something I enjoy.
I agree with this much but at the point everyone does it it gets stale and lame. If it was just Rondo or one or two other guys its probably not a big deal. A million copy cats and that expression of individuality is gone and you've got a bunch of dudes just miswearing their uniforms.

I agree with this much but at the point everyone does it it gets stale and lame. If it was just Rondo or one or two other guys its probably not a big deal. A million copy cats and that expression of individuality is gone and you've got a bunch of dudes just miswearing their uniforms.
I agree with that. I can't wait for the day they ban any visible tattoos so they don't conflict with uniforms ;)

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
On a side note, your remark about the players making millions of dollars to play a game seems a little bitter. Do you think they shouldn't be paid that much?
No, I don't. But I imagine that if I were in their position, I'd be quite happy to abide by a small rule like "wear your headband right side up". Millions of dollars a year is a nice payoff, and I'd be pretty grateful to my employers.

What if it's not to be a rebel but just to be themselves? What if it's psychologically more comfortable, or their superstitions claim that an upside-down headband has more upside?

At this point I really just want to know how to get Stern out of there- he's got too much power. Let's institute 4 year terms. :cool:

Ridiculous.. who cares what their headbands look like? As long as they are playing in their uniforms, play their game, and conduct themselves in an appropriate manner, then thats all thats needed to "represent" the league. On a side note, are headbands required to be of the NBA brand?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Name another job where the employer tolerates being disrespected by its workers. During work hours. On national TV.
US President.
Cite? I mean, I wasn't aware that the American people worked for the POTUS... Are you referring to some occurrence of a sitting US president being blatantly and publically disrespected by a member of his staff?

Regarding the OP, I am completely baffled by the opposition to this rule: in the first place, the NBA isn't in distress. And, in the second place, of all of the rules to have been handed down by The Angel of Stern (® Tony Kornheiser), this is, by far, the least objectionable edict he's ever handed down.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Cite? I mean, I wasn't aware that the American people worked for the POTUS... Are you referring to some occurrence of a sitting US president being blatantly and publically disrespected by a member of his staff?

It was a joke.

The basis being that at least one former President asserted that he was the CEO of the nation, though I'll refrain from further comment.

Regarding the OP, I am completely baffled by the opposition to this rule: in the first place, the NBA isn't in distress. And, in the second place, of all of the rules to have been handed down by The Angel of Stern (® Tony Kornheiser), this is, by far, the least objectionable edict he's ever handed down.
Good- it's good to have a good baffling every now and again. Not sure where the distress thing came from but however objectionable the edict is it may be the most telling as it is so petty and only designed to show that he has power over his minions.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well I think the league's got a point and are right.

Those guys are paid lots of money representing the league world-wide.. they can show some respect and wear the logo as it was ment to be, and stop with the 'im an outlaw I do whatever I want' attitude they have going.

Uoi might call them petty, but so are the players choosing to disrespect the leagues logo and do whatever they want with no apperent reason(again, cause of this league they're filthy rich anyways)
^^

What he said.

I would compare this issue with that of an office manager requiring workers to make sure their pencils are on the right side of the desk, stapler on the left and that all pens must be faced down in whatever cup they may be placed in. Sure it's a rule, but if I like my stapler on the left side - what's it to you? Am I really offending you? Do you think everyone who comes into the offer thinks that I am disrespecting my boss because of said placement? A little diversity is nice.

Basketball is a game of style - from the way players dribble, to how they pass and dunk. Allowing them express little of that through their clothing (much like they do with shoes) is something I enjoy. It can help fans relate by dressing like their favorite player. I only see it as a benefit to the game and fans. Like you said, it hurts nobody... but it just might help many.

That analogy isn't even close. It's more like your company having a collared shirt policy in the office and you go to work every day with your collar popped up. Sure you still have a collar but you are purposely trying to annoy your boss by doing it.

Rondo isn't wearing his upside down because he thinks it looks cool. He's just trying to be a rebel, which is just lame an immature.

People started thinking of NBA players as a bunch of thugs, so the NBA is trying to change that image.

And of course they shouldn't be paid what they are being paid. Do they have to work harder than your average person? Yes. Do they work 10,000 times harder than your average person? No. They should be paid less and ticket prices should be lower because of it. Arenas get filled and the popularity of the sport skyrockets. Instead it's just a bunch of overpaid players who complain and whine about everything like not being able to wear their headband upside down.

People say the rule is petty and Stern trying to show power. I'd say what's petty is to be so childish and immature that your idea of being a rebel is to wear your headband upside down. Wow.

I've had to adhere to certain dress codes at work, at certain times, and I did it, because it was part of what I agreed to do when I accepted the job.

Now what would be revolutionary is if an athlete refused a pro job, because he refused to be a shill for the league or any sponsors.

Last edited:
That analogy isn't even close. It's more like your company having a collared shirt policy in the office and you go to work every day with your collar popped up. Sure you still have a collar but you are purposely trying to annoy your boss by doing it.

Rondo isn't wearing his upside down because he thinks it looks cool. He's just trying to be a rebel, which is just lame an immature.

People started thinking of NBA players as a bunch of thugs, so the NBA is trying to change that image.

And of course they shouldn't be paid what they are being paid. Do they have to work harder than your average person? Yes. Do they work 10,000 times harder than your average person? No. They should be paid less and ticket prices should be lower because of it. Arenas get filled and the popularity of the sport skyrockets. Instead it's just a bunch of overpaid players who complain and whine about everything like not being able to wear their headband upside down.
How do you know that? Is it really "rebellious" to wear a headband upside down anyways? I think we're taking this a bit too far here.

Also, it cracks me up when fans of a sport complain about how much money the athletes who play the sport make. Your comment about arenas getting filled as a result of lowering ticket prices is laughable. The fact of the matter is that teams with high ticket prices still sell out practically every game (there's a waiting list a mile long for Lakers season tickets, and they have the highest payroll in the NBA). Why would they drop their prices when there's such a high demand for them? When people stop going to games even though the team is good and is playing well, then you can talk about ticket prices being dropped. Until then, that's a hollow argument that doesn't make any sense.

And what players are complaining about it? The NBA told Rondo not to wear his headband upside down, so he stopped wearing it altogether. That's not complaining. And what's ironic about it is that if the NBA's goal is branding (which would explain why they nixed the team logo headbands a few years ago, and why they don't want them worn inside out or upside down), then they just shot themselves in the foot. They'd be better off with Rondo wearing his NBA-issue headband upside down, with a bunch of high school kids buying NBA-issue headbands and wearing them upside down, than to have him not wearing one at all.

I don't care whether players wear headbands, what headbands they wear, or how they wear them. I don't care if the NBA bans them. My only objection is that it's petty, and it's an(other) example of David Stern being a control freak.

FWIW, Rondo does not wear the headband upside down to be "rebellious".. Apparently he wore it upside down in his rookie year and had a good game, didnt notice it until he looked in a mirror, and started wearing it that way out of superstition.