The morning after and other news, rumors, etc.

Carmichael Dave ‏@CarmichaelDave 1m
Minority owners of the Kings have received congratulatory communications from current NBA owners, many NOT on either committee.
Things behind the scenes are entirely positive on the Sacramento side. Monies are being wired, documents signed and put in place.
When asked of Hansen machinations or Maloof issues, I am continually told (with a smile) that they are continuing to follow the NBA process.
There is not a SHRED of worry or concern, not even a raised eyebrow. The process is coming to a close,and will finalize in the next 2+ weeks
Take that for what you will Kings fans, it's all I can provide. Do not let the media (social or traditional) take this story to weird places
This is the quiet finalization. News directors are SCRAMBLING to fill time,it benefits them to worry you.

There is nothing to worry about.
It's a formality!

Last edited:
Can't wait until the actual vote when this crap is over with. I am really starting to hate Hansen. I have already hated the Maloofs for a very long time.

If the Maloofs try to mess with the sale then they need to seriously get their brains checked. This would hurt them if they ever wanted an NHL team, seeing how they have been messing with this deal.

If I don't already dislike Hansen/Ballmer, its been known that they were in the Maloofs ear for awhile, I don't want to think they had a hand in the Magoofs deciding to hold out and deceitfully walking away from that arena deal

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
If I don't already dislike Hansen/Ballmer, its been known that they were in the Maloofs ear for awhile, I don't want to think they had a hand in the Magoofs deciding to hold out and deceitfully walking away from that arena deal
Let's face it... Hansen did start taking to the Maloofs shorty after the Anislime move got blocked, and that is exactly why George walked away from the Arena deal.

If this whole maloof and Hansen thing continues to escalate into something that gets out of hand, the nba will have a talk with ballmer and he will pull out, leaving Hansen and Georgie barking like crazy without the big dog they have had backing them up.

Ballmer is the one the nba cares about, and has interest in being a fellow owner. He seemingly doesn't have the emotional investment that we are seeing from Hansen, actually I haven't read anything from him concerning the recommendation, yeah he would support a team in Seattle, but he's not going to embarrass himself in the pursuit of that. So let Hansen cry and whine and threaten all he wants. Ballmer is the one with the big stick. Someday the nba will be back in Seattle, but Ballmer will still have plenty of money to support it when the time comes, and there are plenty of guys like hansen out there who can take his place when the right time comes.

There is an old japanese proverb: ja no michi wa hebi

It means: "Snakes follow the way of serpents". Quite applicable to the BM/HBN dynamics here...

It makes me wonder. How does someone like Hansen not know the situation in front of him. Someone with so much money and is supposed to be so smart. He really thinks that the NBA would allow the same situation to continue here that we had with the Maloofs? That it would be ok to allow the city and all the investors spend money on an Arena with an axe hanging over their heads. That he could just move the team if things didn't go as planned when that is all he really wants. It's amazing that someone thinks he has the right to create his own reality at anyone elses expense. To stop at almost nothing. The guy is delusional.

It makes me wonder. How does someone like Hansen not know the situation in front of him. Someone with so much money and is supposed to be so smart. He really thinks that the NBA would allow the same situation to continue here that we had with the Maloofs? That it would be ok to allow the city and all the investors spend money on an Arena with an axe hanging over their heads. That he could just move the team if things didn't go as planned when that is all he really wants. It's amazing that someone thinks he has the right to create his own reality at anyone elses expense. To stop at almost nothing. The guy is delusional.

To be fair, I don't think Chris Hansen has personally stated any of this... just "sources"... to state this publically would I believe be admitting defeat on the relocation - which he might not want/believe yet

I bet if Buss had accepted 1bil for the Lakers Hansen would still try to pull this crap and move them out of LA...

The NBA would squelch that as they will squelch this.

To be fair, I don't think Chris Hansen has personally stated any of this... just "sources"... to state this publically would I believe be admitting defeat on the relocation - which he might not want/believe yet
You read that letter he posted on sonicsarena or whatever site that was, right? It was somewhat delusional.

You read that letter he posted on sonicsarena or whatever site that was, right? It was somewhat delusional.

I did Gary, yeah, I agree, Hansen/Ballmer are not going to go away easy, especially given no expansion and there are no immediate teams moving and all the effort/land/money invested on their parts. I believe they would try the Clay Bennett approach here in Sac if given the opportunity, to throw a wrench in this... I was just saying I haven't explicitly heard Hansen come out publicly with designs of the clay Bennett approach yet, not to say for sure hasn't happened

I did Gary, yeah, I agree, Hansen/Ballmer are not going to go away easy, especially given no expanion and there are no immediate teams moving and all the effort/land/money invested on their parts, including try the Clay Bennett approach here in Sac if given the opportunity, to throw a wrench in this... I was just saying I haven't explicitly heard Hansen come out publicly with designs of the clay Bennett approach yet, not to say for sure hasn't happened
Oh no, you're right he hasn't. It's mostly the Sonics fans that are saying that, and the Media. Personally I do not want to give it a chance to happen, so when the relocation is denied and that deal is voided I just hope they don't try to go behind the NBA's back and do another deal.

so when the relocation is denied and that deal is voided I just hope they don't try to go behind the NBA's back and do another deal.

Thats my question/fear in all this... I'm not up to speed on NBA guidelines.. It is clear that Hansen/Ballmer have tried to and may continue to try to, steal our team away with sheer money... which obviously attracts the classless Magoofs like magnets (money, with no regard for locality)... Is there something stopping Hansen/Ballmer from offering 600 after this deal is voided? Are there proper limitations put in place to prevent bidding wars for the teams of deserving locations? I'll assume so, and I'll assume the NBA makes it clear if the poachers do unfathomably ever get their hands on the team, they aren't going anywhere as long as fan/political support exist, ever. But first I will trust the NBA to put the proper owners in place, regardless of $$, as they have in the past

Last edited:
Thats my question/fear in all this... I'm not up to speed on NBA guidelines.. It is clear that Hansen/Ballmer have tried to and may continue to try to, steal our team away with sheer money... which obviously attracts the classless Magoofs like magnets (money, with no regard for locality)... Is there something stopping Hansen/Ballmer from offering 600 after this deal is voided? Are there proper limitations put in place to prevent bidding wars for the teams of deserving locations? I'll assume so, and I'll assume the NBA makes it clear if the poachers do unfathomably ever get their hands on the team, they aren't going anywhere as long as fan/political support exist, ever. But first I will trust the NBA to put the proper owners in place, regardless of $$, as they have in the past
There is nothing that could stop him from making another offer on the team if the Clowns don't take the Sacramento offer. I'm sure that is part of their "discussions" that they've had since Monday. However, once that deal is voided there will be a deal on the table from Sacramento. If the Clowns reject it, the league may very well step in and stop this circus.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And if Hansen/Ballmer did lure the Maloofs into walking away from the old deal, I might have to send them a "thank you" card. I know it's not what they intended, but it just might have been the root cause for everything that has happened since. You know, the butterfly in the forest concept...

I am thrilled with our new owners and I'm even more thrilled to see a city united, something I haven't seen from Sacramento in a very, very long time and I've been within an hour of Sac my entire life.

What do we have because of Hansen's possible trickery?

1. NEW OWNERS
2. A new arena
3. A renewed sense of pride in the community
4. The respect of the rest of the league

yeah, I'll take it.

:)

There is nothing that could stop him from making another offer on the team if the Clowns don't take the Sacramento offer. I'm sure that is part of their "discussions" that they've had since Monday. However, once that deal is voided there will be a deal on the table from Sacramento. If the Clowns reject it, the league may very well step in and stop this circus.

I also believe they will make it clear to Hansen/Ballmer that the team isn't going anywhere, permanently, which should stop all motivation

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Meanwhile in the real world. A flat out refusal by the relocation committee twice in 3 years, sends out the unmistakable message THIS TEAM WILL NOT BE MOVED! Which also sends it's market value back down to earth at about 350 million. When the move is denied by the BOG, the basic deal between the BM and Hansen is voided. And IF sale came up for vote one one more vote past the 7 relocation committee's votes are needed to kill the sale. does anyone think the Maloofs will walk away from a $525-550 mill offer (380 mill to them) to hold on to the team and try another sale to Hansen? No really does anyone think this is reasonable? REALLY?

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I did Gary, yeah, I agree, Hansen/Ballmer are not going to go away easy, especially given no expansion and there are no immediate teams moving and all the effort/land/money invested on their parts. I believe they would try the Clay Bennett approach here in Sac if given the opportunity, to throw a wrench in this... I was just saying I haven't explicitly heard Hansen come out publicly with designs of the clay Bennett approach yet, not to say for sure hasn't happened
It cannot and will not happen. Clay Bennett was trying to work to get an arena deal in Seattle. When it went south, he took the team. The situation this time is NOT the same. There is an arena deal in place with local ownership. That wasn't present in Seattle. Bennett was the only potential buyer, if memory serves. (And it might not...) Hansen put all his money on Sacramento NOT being able to put forth a viable offer in the short period of time they had available. KJ and Co. did it and Hansen has nothing left. He's made it so abundantly clear that his goal was to move the team that there is no way he will be allowed to buy it now. And, since his deal with the Maloofs was contingent upon the approval of the BoG of the Maloof request for relocation, there really is very little left except for a lot of posturing and puffery.

The Maloofs have no power left. They will have one legitimate offer for the team and they will take it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yes, there is something that can stop him. David Stern. The BoG will not entertain any more offers from Hansen. They have a good offer from Sacramento. Things have to go through the motions but Hansen is no longer relevant. If minority owners of the Kings are getting congratulations from owners of other teams, it's all over. Period. Hansen can grouse and whine and hop around on one foot, but nothing he does now will make any difference. He put all his faith in dealing with owners who have tarnished the name of the NBA to the point where virtually no other owners will have anything to do with them. But what could he expect? He made a smarmy deal with the Maloofs and it came back and bit him in the posterior. Karma is the ultimate *****.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
And if Hansen/Ballmer did lure the Maloofs into walking away from the old deal, I might have to send them a "thank you" card. I know it's not what they intended, but it just might have been the root cause for everything that has happened since. You know, the butterfly in the forest concept...

I am thrilled with our new owners and I'm even more thrilled to see a city united, something I haven't seen from Sacramento in a very, very long time and I've been within an hour of Sac my entire life.

What do we have because of Hansen's possible trickery?

1. NEW OWNERS
2. A new arena
3. A renewed sense of pride in the community
4. The respect of the rest of the league

yeah, I'll take it.

:)
This is an excellent point VF. If the choice was between a Maloof-owned team playing at a new arena in the railyards and a Mastrov/Ranadive-owned team playing at a new arena downtown I'm sure everyone here would choose the second option. And every scrap of news that comes out with with the Maloof's fingerprints on it makes it more and more clear that we may have dodged a bullet there in potentially locking ourselves into a long-term deal with those jokers remaining in charge of team operations. They were a necessary evil at the time and that first arena deal saved the Kings for a season, but getting them out of the picture completely is going to save the Kings for the next 35 years. It was a long and bumpy ride to get to where we are now, but as they say across the pond, all's well that ends well!

Let's face it... Hansen did start taking to the Maloofs shorty after the Anislime move got blocked, and that is exactly why George walked away from the Arena deal.
Maybe earlier. We know that George flew to Seattle to talk to Wally Walker before the convergence plan was put together. Wally Walker knew about Hansen long before any of us did so it's probably that George made contact with Hansen while he was negotiating with Seattle's mayor about putting together the SODO plan.

I sure hope Hansens bid to own and keep the team in sacto gets shut down. Its clear his end game will always be Seattle and it wouldnt change things at all for us just lengthen a move away.

Id like to think that we can end this as soon as possible. Our bid is still reported to not be as high as Hansens and as long as that’s the case, the maloofs, as business people will never accept our offer, unless strong armed to do so. Even if that’s the case they are the stubborn type who could pull it all and continue this nightmare.

I sure hope Hansens bid to own and keep the team in sacto gets shut down. Its clear his end game will always be Seattle and it wouldnt change things at all for us just lengthen a move away.

Id like to think that we can end this as soon as possible. Our bid is still reported to not be as high as Hansens and as long as that’s the case, the maloofs, as business people will never accept our offer, unless strong armed to do so. Even if that’s the case they are the stubborn type who could pull it all and continue this nightmare.
There is no chance of this. I know it is getting a lot of talk from the Seattle types. It is because they are looking for ANY silver lining. I don't blame them...I would be too. But this is just silly. The BoG is smarter than this.

It won't get shut down because it isn't a serious bid. The NBA relocation committee voted unanimously against relocation, and we needed 15 votes (at the BOG) to block relocation. We only need 8 votes to block the sale. Blocking the sale was always easier than blocking the relocation. Basically, from Seattle's prospective, there were two major hurdles: 1. Get the NBA to allow the Maloofs to sell to Hansen. 2. Get the NBA to allow Hansen to move to Seattle. Of the two, blocking the sale was far easier for Sacramento. If we've effectively blocked the relocation, blocking the sale should be no problem what so ever. These are nothing more than the last gasps of a defeated man.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I hate to be like a nagging parent but I think some of you need to read this thread before posting notes. Most of the questions have been answered. I am particularly bothered by the repetitive mention that although the move may be blocked, Hansen may still buy the team. That is Seattle wishful thinking. The new owner must have an arena plan in place. Think about this awhile and while you are worrying that Hansen may own the Kings while they are in Sacramento, tell me how he is going to build an arena. The BoG will not approve a sale to him without him having a plan pretty much completed to build an arena in Sacramento. He would ned to get that plan together in a couple weeks.

Even back a week or two, the BoG said that the vetting was focused highly on the ability to build an arena. It is one of the highest priorities for them. I doubt if that has changed.