"The Kings Are A Mess"

This is an excerpt from Aaron Bruski Fantasy Basketball blog (and I'm probably ruining my secret advantage in some leagues by posting it here) but I thought it would lead to some good discussion. The full link is at:http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nba/41837/45/dose-kyle-lowry-lowdown?pg=2

DET @ SAC: The Kings are a total mess. Their offense is awful and their defense has been terrible, no matter how many times Keith Smart says the latter has been intact. And sure, the Kings have seen opponents shoot a very bad percentage, but the hometown fans and writers are so jaded by years of nuclear disaster level defense that their eyes mislead them. And aside from that eye test, each team they’ve faced this season (Bulls, Wolves, Pacers, Warriors) has seen its writers go on the offensive about how awful their team’s offense has been for some or all of the year. Unforced errors and lack of effort has been the culprit for the Kings’ opponents, but Smart gets no flak for owning a largely empty achievement.

And that’s because he doesn’t get flak for anything. I won’t get into the details, but let’s just say Keith Smart owns the press room at Sleep Apnea Arena. Why does this matter? For fantasy purposes guys aren’t getting the job done. Isaiah Thomas needs to be given the car keys for there to be any cohesiveness on offense, Tyreke Evans needs to be told to play two-dribble basketball, DeMarcus Cousins needs to be told to plant his butt in the post and not move, and Jason Thompson needs more plays run for him. They all need to be told to shutup. Marcus Thornton – he’s cool. He can just keep doing what he’s doing. Aaron Brooks can come in and score like crazy for 20-25 mpg and everybody should theoretically be happy and winning (relatively).

But that doesn’t happen, because Smart is tinkering and he isn’t demanding specific performance, and the media is so cozy and unwilling to ask the hard questions that they just regurgitate what the team-sponsored channels say. Until you see pressure mount on Smart to stop doing what got him fired in Golden State, expect a bumpy ride for all of them.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Ah, rotoworld. I knew I was forgetting about one of my old favorite fantasy sites. Thanks, geoff. :p

My favorite comment?

They all need to be told to shutup.
AMEN!!!

I couldn't believe the first words out of Cousins' mouth when he sat down to talk to Grant and Jerry after the game. WTF? Whining about the officiating is not going to get you anywhere except out of the game faster with foul trouble.

I usually ignore fantasy bloggers as they have their own twisted view of the sport I follow. But I agree with a few things, but disagree that the defensive improvement is an empty achievement. While we are not looking at a defense that is tops in the game, it's light years better than we have seen from the team in a long, long time. While it's fine to say that the teams we faced are having offense issues. I have to point out that in recent years those struggling offenses would have an instant cure facing the Kings. So I don't think he gives enough credit there.

I do agree that Smart has tinkering issues. His juggling rotations and lineups hurt the team and I don't think he can see that. Not enough clarity over roles and that overshadows any vision he is trying to instill. Of all the attributes a coach has to present to his players, being firmly in control is the most important.

I don't get the reference to owning the press room. Unless media are getting booted for asking tough questions, then it's the media members doing the Charmin softball questions. When you have disinterested writers like Jason Jones as the primary newspaper beat writer, it's the media's fault. I do notice that the Kings love to invite a bunch of fantasy camp writers from fan websites. I would like to see more people in the press room who are putting food on the table reporting on sports and the NBA. Doesn't excuse those who are pros from doing their job.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
This is an excerpt from Steve Alexander's Fantasy Basketball blog (and I'm probably ruining my secret advantage in some leagues by posting it here) but I thought it would lead to some good discussion. The full link is at:http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nba/41837/45/dose-kyle-lowry-lowdown?pg=2

DET @ SAC: The Kings are a total mess. Their offense is awful and their defense has been terrible, no matter how many times Keith Smart says the latter has been intact. And sure, the Kings have seen opponents shoot a very bad percentage, but the hometown fans and writers are so jaded by years of nuclear disaster level defense that their eyes mislead them. And aside from that eye test, each team they’ve faced this season (Bulls, Wolves, Pacers, Warriors) has seen its writers go on the offensive about how awful their team’s offense has been for some or all of the year. Unforced errors and lack of effort has been the culprit for the Kings’ opponents, but Smart gets no flak for owning a largely empty achievement.

And that’s because he doesn’t get flak for anything. I won’t get into the details, but let’s just say Keith Smart owns the press room at Sleep Apnea Arena. Why does this matter? For fantasy purposes guys aren’t getting the job done. Isaiah Thomas needs to be given the car keys for there to be any cohesiveness on offense, Tyreke Evans needs to be told to play two-dribble basketball, DeMarcus Cousins needs to be told to plant his butt in the post and not move, and Jason Thompson needs more plays run for him. They all need to be told to shutup. Marcus Thornton – he’s cool. He can just keep doing what he’s doing. Aaron Brooks can come in and score like crazy for 20-25 mpg and everybody should theoretically be happy and winning (relatively).

But that doesn’t happen, because Smart is tinkering and he isn’t demanding specific performance, and the media is so cozy and unwilling to ask the hard questions that they just regurgitate what the team-sponsored channels say. Until you see pressure mount on Smart to stop doing what got him fired in Golden State, expect a bumpy ride for all of them.
After reading that I am not at all sure you would be gaining any advantage by reading that crap. he is highly confused, and likely hasn't even turned on a game to watch. Yes, those three straight home openers we played in to start the season featured teams giving no effort. Especially lazy teams with undemanding coaches like Chicago and Indiana. What a yahoo.

Isaiah Thomas needs to be given the car keys for there to be any cohesiveness on offense, Tyreke Evans needs to be told to play two-dribble basketball, DeMarcus Cousins needs to be told to plant his butt in the post and not move, and Jason Thompson needs more plays run for him. They all need to be told to shutup. Marcus Thornton – he’s cool. .
can we replace Coach Smart with this guy?

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I don't agree with everything Bruski says. He's constantly whining about IT on twitter during games and seriously thinks he's a top 15 PG, which so far IT has been anything but, although I'd also agree with anyone who thinks Smarts use of IT, especially the constant benchings is hurting him and he's constantly looking over his shoulder. I also think he and Gary can have a competition to see who hates Reke more.

However, there's truth to what he says. Our defense while much improved, is not great. Going into the GS game our opponents were shooting about 16% from 3. It was more them missing than anything we're doing. GS got a number of great looks and just bricked them. I do think our defensive numbers are misleading and once opponents start shooting an average % from 3 it'll show that. We're still muc improved on that end though.

He's also spot on about Sac media not asking hard questions. Our media coverage is terrible compared to most markets. The Bee just regurgitates whatever Smart tells them. There's no analysis. There's no questioning of sub patterns or lack of roles. It's completely comfortable for Smart and our FO. I can't think of a single aspect of our roster the Bee has questioned, which is incredibly hard to do unless you a) flat out don't understand basketball, b) flat out don't care and are more concerned with being a Lakers fan and playing video games(Jason Jones) or c) were told by your boss that we don't question anything the Kings do because then we won't get interviews or inside information we need, even though there's been no inside information released since Amick left.

If this team was in another market Smart would be getting questioned left and right. Hell, just google Keith Smart rotations, and see how many articles pop up from Bay Area writers covering the Warriors. Smart used to get questioned nightly down here, both by beat writers in the Contra Costa Times and San Jose Mercury. The Chronicle as well. The media is the best tool to increase pressure and point out mistakes, and when the only radio station which talks about the Kings is KHTK, led by a Maloof mouthpiece, and the only paper in town almost seems to be on the Maloofs payroll as well, there is no pressure compared to elsewhere. The way KNBR radio hosts used to question Smart and in general cover GS is night and day compared to KHTK. And the Bay Area media market is still soft compared to LA, Chi, Bos, NY, Philly and a host of other places.

Bricklayer

BTW, for what its worth:

Chicago Season FG%: .456
Chicago vs. Kings FG%: .418

Minny Season FG%:.438
Minny vs. Kings FG%: .368

Indiana Season FG%: .401
Indiana vs. Kings FG%: .394

Golden State Season FG%: .430
Golden State vs. Kings FG%: .397

Maybe teams are only lazy and sloppy and missing open jumpers against us. Funny how that works.

I don't like the way IT's been used this season, yeah he had a shaky start, but i expected a bit of second season syndrome that he'll have to play through. He's basically been benched for for Brooks but Smart wants to curry favour with both so starts IT but pulls him early and plays Brooks down the stretch.

BTW, for what its worth:

Maybe teams are only lazy and sloppy and missing open jumpers against us. Funny how that works.
where do we rank in the league in opponent FG%, 3pt%, and opponent PPG now after the GS game?

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
BTW, for what its worth:

Well, let's see if these %'s holdup after 20 or so games. We can be improved defensively, which I think we clearly are, and still have teams missing a number of good looks, which they are.

Bricklayer

where do we rank in the league in opponent FG%, 3pt%, and opponent PPG now after the GS game?
2nd in Opp FG% (.394)
1st in Opp 3pt FG% (.203)
12th in Opp Pts/Gm (95.0) -- although that's inflated because of the 2OT game. At the end of reg the Pacers only had 91, and our average would be 92.0, good for 6th, if the game had ended then.

I don't expect us to lead the league in any of those categories this year. I don't think we have been playing great offensive teams. But even early in the season you don't just "accidentally" lead the league in defensive FG% categories because every team you run into just mysteriously starts to miss all of its shots and not care.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Well, let's see if these %'s holdup after 20 or so games. We can be improved defensively, which I think we clearly are, and still have teams missing a number of good looks, which they are.
Its funny how that happens against good defensive teams. They tire you out. Make you uncomfortable and rushed.

Last edited:

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Its funny how that happens against good defensive teams. They tire you out. Make you uncomfortable and rushed.
Yeah, but teams usually don't shoot as well the first week as they do mid season either. We're doing great through four games. No one is doubting that. But if you think the shooting %'s are 100% because of us and not other factors, I disagree. We'll see, if we're still top two in both opp FG% and opp 3pt % come Christmas, then you were right.

Bricklayer

Yeah, but teams usually don't shoot as well the first week as they do mid season either.
Apparently they are only not shooting as well against us. Strange.

And no, we're not going to lead the league in FG%. We'll meet better teams. Still lack enough defensive personnel. But anybody trying to say we've been anything but outstanding at it thus far needs to check themselves.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer

And no, we're not going to lead the league in FG%. We'll meet better teams. Still lack enough defensive personnel. But anybody trying to say we've been anything but outstanding at it thus far needs to check themselves.
We have been great. But I'd expect opponents shooting %'s to rise despite that. If our defensive %'s fall to around #10 in the league, is that still outstanding? No, it'd be very good. You can still be outstanding over a four game stretch and still have weaknesses defensively, if you're jsut basing it off %'s. Like I said, we'll see around the 20 game mark if we're a phenomenal defensive team or if teams are missing some shots they'll hit once they get in regular season form. If we're outstanding defensively, the %'s will hold. If teams are missing a few more makeable shots than normal, the %'s will show that too.

Bricklayer

We have been great. But I'd expect opponents shooting %'s to rise despite that. If our defensive %'s fall to around #10 in the league, is that still outstanding? No, it'd be very good. You can still be outstanding over a four game stretch and still have weaknesses defensively, if you're jsut basing it off %'s. Like I said, we'll see around the 20 game mark if we're a phenomenal defensive team or if teams are missing some shots they'll hit once they get in regular season form. If we're outstanding defensively, the %'s will hold. If teams are missing a few more makeable shots than normal, the %'s will show that too.
The percentages won't hold at current levels, because if they did we would be the best Def FG% team in 20 years, maybe ever. The best in the last dozen years was San Antonio in '03-04 at .409. In many years .430 makes you the best. If over a season we were able to sustain at sub .440 we'd be among the elite.

Kings gave up too many offensive rebounds, which means high percentage shots, so even if opponents shoot better from outside Kings should give up less easy shots inside. And then you still have at least a dozen breakdowns every game. This team lacks somewhat in strength until Johnson is able to stay on the floor close to 36 minutes, but has great quickness and it shows.

Sample size is important, but what's key for me is the fact that we can even discuss the possibility of being in the upper tier of defensive teams. There's been a noticeable dedication from every single player on that end of the floor which is something we haven't seen since the prime glory years. The defense we've seen this season is a playoff defense. Whether it holds up or not remains to be seen

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Percentages are what they are, but I think if you just trust your eyes, its obvious that were playing better defense. Were defending the pick and roll particularly well, something that was a major weakness last season. I think our rotations are crisper, as are our switches. Yes, we have left an open man on the perimeter on occasion, but if your going to make a mistake, at least make it a difficult shot mistake, which is better than leaving an open lane to the basket mistake. So on the whole, its a nice improvement.

Personally I didn't expect us to be one of the defensive leaders. I'm willing to settle for just moving up to the middle of the pack. Anything higher is gravy this season

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Bruski's kinda got a bit of an unhealthy obsession with Isaiah Thomas so I'd take a lot of what he says with a cup of salt

During DeMarcus' Q/A session with Grant yesterday on the radio, he was talking about the defense. He talked about a point in the GS game when both he and Isaiah Thomas were on the bench watching the defense, and they just looked at other and said, "Our defense is CRAZY". Even the players realize how phenomenal the defense has been so far this year.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Percentages are what they are, but I think if you just trust your eyes, its obvious that were playing better defense. Were defending the pick and roll particularly well, something that was a major weakness last season. I think our rotations are crisper, as are our switches. Yes, we have left an open man on the perimeter on occasion, but if your going to make a mistake, at least make it a difficult shot mistake, which is better than leaving an open lane to the basket mistake. So on the whole, its a nice improvement.

Personally I didn't expect us to be one of the defensive leaders. I'm willing to settle for just moving up to the middle of the pack. Anything higher is gravy this season
I agree with that. We're much improved defensively. It's great to see. Even if we finish the year in the top half I'd be very happy, and top ten would be remarkable. I'm just not ready to anoint us a top 3-5 defensive team, or an elite defensive team based on the first week.

We're clearly heading in the right direction, it's impossible not to be impressed with our team on that end and the scary thing is we can get even better, particularly Cuz when and if he stops getting in foul trouble.

But just as if a player is struggling the first week I won't get too down on them, and if a player is playing lights out I won't get too high on him, as it's the first week.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I agree with that. We're much improved defensively. It's great to see. Even if we finish the year in the top half I'd be very happy, and top ten would be remarkable. I'm just not ready to anoint us a top 3-5 defensive team, or an elite defensive team based on the first week.

We're clearly heading in the right direction, it's impossible not to be impressed with our team on that end and the scary thing is we can get even better, particularly Cuz when and if he stops getting in foul trouble.

But just as if a player is struggling the first week I won't get too down on them, and if a player is playing lights out I won't get too high on him, as it's the first week.
I agree 100%! Thats because there's no 110% of anything.:D