"The Best Defensive Stalwarts"- ARTEST IS #1

http://realgm.com/src_feature/868/20070418/the_best_defensive_stalwarts/

The Best Defensive Stalwarts
18th April, 2007 - 1:49 pm
By Nick Obergan

Even when their shots aren't falling, these ten players can significantly impact a game with their play on the defensive side of the ball.

10. Shane Battier

Though career averages of 1.2 steals and 1 block per game don’t really jump out at you, they aren’t supposed to. Battier, as I’m sure you’ve heard, is not about the stats. The consummate glue-guy, Battier is a terrific defender, both in one-on-one situations and in a team concept. He has a very high basketball IQ, quick feet and is always at the right place at the right time. He is a strong 6’8”, 220lbs and doesn’t mind banging in the post guarding centers if he has to. He is also quick enough and smart enough to guard point guards, and he has been effective guarding anyone at any of the 5 positions. Not many players in the league can do that.

9. Shawn Marion

I won’t allow Marion to play the “underrated” and “underappreciated” tags here, as I think they are really overdone and no longer relevant. The guy is a four time All-Star, how is that underrated? He has also been on the All-NBA third team the last two seasons, but he does not have any All-Defensive selections, so maybe he underrated as a defensive player. But not to me. After all, he has averaged at least 1.5 blocks in each of the last three seasons and over 2 steals each of the past 5 (1.9 this year actually, but close enough). He is also a big time rebounder, averaging under 7 defensive boards only twice in his career, once being his rookie season where he didn’t start half the games. Marion is also real quick, enabling him to stay with any small forward in the league, and strong enough that he can guard power forwards despite being smaller than most at 6’7”.

8. Jason Kidd

Kidd is one of a couple future Hall of Famers on this list, and he isn’t going there just because he has put up plenty of triple-doubles. Through his first 11 NBA seasons he has 8 All-Defensive selections, four 1st team and four 2nd team. He is bigger than almost all other point guards at 6’4” and a very strong 210 pounds. And despite micro-fracture, he has maintained his quickness and leaping (the leaping helping him to average 5.1 defensive rebounds over his career, over 6 per game in each of the last three seasons – truly amazing for a point guard). His active hands and high basketball IQ have also helped him to average over 2 steals per game in 7 of 11 seasons.

7. Andrei Kirilenko

Kirilenko is averaging his lowest minutes since his sophomore season and appears to be out of favor a little bit in Utah. That hasn’t stopped him from quietly averaging 2 blocks a game. Though that is a good number, it is his lowest since he was a rookie, a testament to his skill as a defensive player. He is “only” averaging 1.1 steals this year, which would be the lowest in his career, as is his current rebounding average of 4.8 per game. The four seasons prior to this he has averaged over 5 a game, which is above average for a small forward (I know, 7’ isn’t small). His quickness also allows him to guard shooting guards and his strength, power forwards. Very versatile, very athletic, a very good defender who is just having a down season.

6. Marcus Camby

When he is able to stay on the court, he could be the best help defender in the entire league. He has played 70 games this season, reaching that mark for only the second time in his career. But his last three years he has proven to be very effective, earning All-Defensive 2nd team honors in his past two seasons and primed for another honor this year. He is currently tied with last season’s mark of 3.3 blocks per game and sure to have his third straight 3+ block year. He is also one of the leaders in rebounding, averaging 11.6 a game (9.3 offensive) and is gaining more recognition than previous years because he has been on the floor more often. On a fast paced offence like Denver’s, an anchor like Camby is vital. He can guard in the post as well as away from the basket, but his age (33 this year) will play a factor going forward.

5. Kobe Bryant

Everyone knows about the scoring clinics Bryant routinely puts on over the course of an NBA season. But rarely is it mentioned by the casual fan that he is also a big-time competitor on the defensive end, guarding the other team’s top perimeter player, whether it be a point guard, shooting guard or small forward. Now don’t just judge by his career average of 1.5 steals per game, his game is much more than passing lanes. He is physical, has active hands to bother shooters and dribblers alike, and very quick feat that will beat you to your own spot more often than not. These are the things that have earned him four 1st Team All-Defense and two 2nd Team All-Defense selections in his career so far.

4. Kevin Garnett

Through the first 10 seasons of Garnett’s remarkable career, he has earned 7 nominations to the league’s All-Defensive teams: 6 straight 1st teams from 1999-2005 and a 2nd team selection last year. He didn’t earn any in his first three seasons, probably because he was too busy adjusting to the NBA game coming out of high school. The fiercest competitor in any sport, his is a face you don’t want to see guarding you. He looks wiry, but is very strong, and his long arms propel him to career averages of 1.4 steals and 1.7 blocks per game. He is also consistently at the top of the rebounding charts: 1st in rebounds per game from 03/04 to 05/06, 2nd in 02/03 and 3rd in 01/02; also number one in defensive rebounds each season from 02/03 to 05/06, and leading both categories again this season. All this, and no signs of slowing down.

3. Ben Wallace

I’m not sure you realize how difficult it is to put the active leader in defensive rating all the way down at the third spot. Really, the first three could almost be interchangeable. And yes, even though this guy is winner of four out of the last five Defensive Player of the Year trophies, and a 5 time 1st team All-Defense nominee. See, Wallace is 32 now, and has declined statistically every year since 2002-2003. That season he had 3.2 blocks per game and 15.4 rebounds per game (11.4 defensive); huge numbers. This season he is at 2.1 and 10.7 (6.8 defensive); a far cry from that banner year, but still very good numbers. He has also averaged over 1.3 steals a game in each of the past 6 seasons, something you don’t see out of a centre very often. But even though Big Ben is a step or two slower now than he was the past few seasons, he is a very intimidating presence in the paint and probably one of the top 2 or 3 help defenders in the league. As the league continues to have perimeter shooting big men though, Ben is less effective because he is not great at guarding away from the block.

2. Tim Duncan

This is more of a 1A and 1B situation as far as I am concerned, with Artest’s versatility enabling him to edge out Duncan. His nickname is “The Big Fundamental,” and that is not just for his vast array of fundamentally-sound offensive moves. In his first 9 NBA seasons, Duncan was on 9 All-Defense teams (six 1st, three 2nd). Of all active players, he has the second-highest career defensive rating (behind Wallace), yet he has never won a single Defensive Player of the Year (why?). He has never averaged less than 2 blocks per game, and he will still steal close to one a game, which is great for a post player. He has also never averaged less than 8 defensive rebounds per game in his career. Over his career in the playoffs he averages 2.7 blocks, 0.7 steals, and 12.7 rebounds per game (9.3 defensive). He is able to control any opposing big man he guards by always being in the right place at the right time with great basketball IQ and quick feet. His knowledge of spacing and positioning have enabled him to not lose a step defensively despite injuries and age.

1. Ron Artest

Artest is one of the most versatile man to man defenders of all time, in the mold of a Scottie Pippen. Where else can you find a player who can guard all five positions on the court? He is quick enough to stay in front of point guards and strong enough to bump the big guys in the post. He has tremendous instincts and quick hands that lead him to a lot of steals by picking apart passing lanes. But its not just the steals, he knows the strengths of opponents and forces them away from that, and he can get under your skin and in your face to make you uncomfortable (while doing it legally and not trying to injure people; see: Bowen, Bruce). He knows exactly where he needs to be at all times positionally. The problems for him will always be his head; can he avoid off court problems enough to play a full season? When he does, he is a lock down defender, as seen by his 2003-2004 Defensive Player of the Year award, two 1st team All-Defense and one 2nd-team All Defense selections in the past 5 years (the other 2 he did not play full seasons because of the brawl and trade demands).

For defensive rating statistics, see www.basketball-reference.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Way to go Ron!!!! I knew you/are good!!!! I hope Justin Williams, Cisco, and Price in time can be added to this select group. A few of them are aging so it's time for new younger faces to come into the picture as good defenders.

I'm surprised Bowen isn't in the list, but it did mention him as a dirty player, unlike Ron who guards you like a junkyard dog, but does it legally. :p

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Way to go Ron!!!! I knew you/are good!!!! I hope Justin Williams, Cisco, and Price in time can be added to this select group. A few of them are aging so it's time for new younger faces to come into the picture as good defenders.

I'm surprised Bowen isn't in the list, but it did mention him as a dirty player, unlike Ron who guards you like a junkyard dog, but does it legally. :p
Just to clarify - this article is from realGM. The writer isn't a professional. It's more like some of our own rankings, etc.

6. Marcus Camby

When he is able to stay on the court, he could be the best help defender in the entire league. He has played 70 games this season, reaching that mark for only the second time in his career. But his last three years he has proven to be very effective, earning All-Defensive 2nd team honors in his past two seasons and primed for another honor this year. He is currently tied with last season’s mark of 3.3 blocks per game and sure to have his third straight 3+ block year. He is also one of the leaders in rebounding, averaging 11.6 a game (9.3 offensive) and is gaining more recognition than previous years because he has been on the floor more often. On a fast paced offence like Denver’s, an anchor like Camby is vital. He can guard in the post as well as away from the basket, but his age (33 this year) will play a factor going forward.
I like Marcus as much as anyone, but come on now :D