Thar she blows! We've got Burkle!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because they already have a binding, signed sale and purchase agreement and have put down a non-refundable $30 million dollars deposit. Very risky of them to do, but a great way to pin down the Maloofs and come to the BOG with a very solid stance.

Between two entities offering the same thing (new arena, new ownership, great city and fanbase), the ones holding the binding contract have a huge advantage.
You really seem to be over-valuing the phrase "Binding Contract" The only ones bound by that contract are the Maloofs and the Seattle buyers and the entire thing is contingent on NBA approval for BOTH the sale AND the relocation. The NBA has no reason to care about the contract being binding or a handshake, more to the point they are under no obligation to approve the sale or the move. Infact it might be interesting to see what would happen if they approved the sale but NOT the move. I am sure it would void the deal for the Maloofs wile avoiding the threats of Anti-trust action.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
He just read my post and thinks it makes sense ;-) ....

But seriously, if this is the "worse" outcome, I think we come out of it in a really good situation... Great owners with a lower investment in a team that is NOT in debt (which makes them even more willing to spend), new arena, re-energized fanbase... Sure, lots of growing pains but it beats losing the team forever!
I know a few people on this forum who will probably be dead as part of the growing pains. I'm not settling for seconds when there is no reason for it. We have been ****ed by the Maloofs who won't even allow an offer from an ownership based in Sacramento (?), we have done everything the NBA wanted, we ARE the Kings, a franchise around for 60 years, the jerseys hanging from the rafters are Kings' jerseys, etc. Why should we settle for seconds? You people must be young and gutless. The Kings are ours and I am not giving them up for anything. This is that gutless small town attitude that seems to think that we are lucky to get scraps. Hell no. We are a reasonably big city, believe it or not. Give us what we deserve.

I just got out of the hospital where I damn near died. **** (get your ferret out, folks) Seattle and I'm not going to patiently wait as some damn expansion franchise struggles out of the deep hole they are put in. We all have our individual biases. Now you know mine. I know the physical infirmities of others and they can't wait either.

Because they already have a binding, signed sale and purchase agreement and have put down a non-refundable $30 million dollars deposit. Very risky of them to do, but a great way to pin down the Maloofs and come to the BOG with a very solid stance.

Between two entities offering the same thing (new arena, new ownership, great city and fanbase), the ones holding the binding contract have a huge advantage.
They have a binding deal with the Maloof family, not the NBA. As has been stated countless times, the NBA most certainly can refuse to approve the deal for any number of reasons. Despite what has been signed and agreed to by the selling and purchasing parties, if the NBA and it's BOG's feel the sale and relocation of the franchise to Seattle isn't in the league's best interest, they will block it. It's that simple.

We will soon find out if they feel that way or not.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
You really seem to be over-valuing the phrase "Binding Contract" The only ones bound by that contract are the Maloofs and the Seattle buyers and the entire thing is contingent on NBA approval for BOTH the sale AND the relocation. The NBA has no reason to care about the contract being binding or a handshake, more to the point they are under no obligation to approve the sale or the move. In fact it might be interesting to see what would happen if they approved the sale but NOT the move. I am sure it would void the deal for the Maloofs wile avoiding the threats of Anti-trust action.
It would be pretty darn clever on the NBA's part and if it worked, I would fork over the first pot of money to build a statue of Stern hugging KJ to be placed in front of Sleep Train Arena. I presume it could be a statue of the two sampling a product by spooning but ...... nah, maybe not.

It would be pretty darn clever on the NBA's part and if it worked, I would fork over the first pot of money to build a statue of Stern hugging KJ to be placed in front of Sleep Train Arena. I presume it could be a statue of the two sampling a product by spooning but ...... nah, maybe not.
but that wouldn't happen its not in Hansens plan..... Part of the way it would be possible for the kings to even stay in sac is if the owner would help finance an arena here, and from the looks of it Hansen is pretty set on building an arena in Seattle. I it happened it would be funny but not realistic

Glenn

Hall of Famer
but that wouldn't happen its not in Hansens plan..... Part of the way it would be possible for the kings to even stay in sac is if the owner would help finance an arena here, and from the looks of it Hansen is pretty set on building an arena in Seattle. I it happened it would be funny but not realistic
You have no sense of humor. :) Or as they say in the UK, "humour."

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
this kind of talk is annoying me. almost like people are beginning to plan on the BOG allowing the Seattle move

Carmichael Dave ‏@CarmichaelDave
Way way WAY ahead, but for the record: if they told me now I could walk away with an expansion team downtown in 2 years, I'd take the deal.
And I'll go ahead and disagree with Dave here. Maybe I'm an optimist, but I feel good enough about the situation that I'd give us at least even odds to keep the Kings. The NBA hates the Maloof and their antics, KJ is going to come up with (I'd conjecture) a matching offer, and despite all of the assertions otherwise from the not-in-the-know media I think expansion is certainly on the table. Sacramento, meanwhile, has put forward a viable arena plan just like the NBA requested. Lots of reasons here for the NBA to keep the team here, and appease everybody by offering an expansion team to Seattle. And barring that, with a strong investment group in place which would almost certainly be willing to take an expansion team if option 1 fails, I think we get that expansion team anyway. I think the expansion team in 2-3 years is our floor, so why not fight for the better option for us? CD is saying that he would fold when his opponent is already all-in, in my opinion.

If we match Hansen's offer, then there's simply no logic to what you suggested. If there's to be an expansion team, it would make more sense all the way around to give that expansion team to Seattle.
It cuts off the anti-trust lawsuit and where the Kings play for two years issue.

For Seattle to get the expansion team, the league has to block the sale and/or move of the Kings, and the Maloofs are told they should sell the team to Burkle at the price KJ met. The league runs the anti-trust lawsuit here.

What if the Maloofs say no? What if they want to try to limp along with Balmer’s 30 million and run the clock out on Sacramento again? Does that make any sense? No, but they are the Maloofs. Who knows what they might do.

So keeping the team here and expanding in Seattle carries the risk of not flushing out the Maloofs and maybe the Balmer lawsuit, should the Maloofs find a way to derail the process with the sale price of the Kings or Sleep Train after the BOG.

Then there is the big issue. Where would the Kings play for 2 years? The league can’t make the Maloof sell the arena. The Maloof will try to put Bukle and KJ over a barrel. “Sure, you have Sleep train. Just pay us 100 million.” The place isn’t worth 77 now. It’s worth a lot less with ground about to break for a new arena downtown. If KJ went to Sacramento and “won,” there is still a huge unresolved issue with Sleep Train – both for the city’s exposure to the Maloofs forcing it back on the city or keeping it and holding the new owners hostage.

It’s messy to say, Seattle gets this roster and we restore the Sonics records and colors right now. The Kings records and colors go into mothballs for 2 years. You are looking at it just as a Kings fan. For the league, it’s much cleaner and safer to give Sacramento the expansion team.

Last edited by a moderator:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
It would be interesting to see how enthusiastic the basketball fan base in Seattle would be to get an expansion team. I haven't paid much attention at all to why they lost their team but wasn't lack of local enthusiasm part of the problem?

In any case, no one can question the enthusiasm of Sacramento basketball nuts. At least not this one!!! That's got to count for something. I could give a huge list of why the Kings should stay here in the eyes of the NBA so if we actually come up with a couple whales with past interest and experience in running a sports franchise, how can we lose?

What sports background do Hansen and Ballmer have? Just because they are rich guys doesn't qualify them to run a professional sports team.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
You really seem to be over-valuing the phrase "Binding Contract" The only ones bound by that contract are the Maloofs and the Seattle buyers and the entire thing is contingent on NBA approval for BOTH the sale AND the relocation. The NBA has no reason to care about the contract being binding or a handshake, more to the point they are under no obligation to approve the sale or the move. Infact it might be interesting to see what would happen if they approved the sale but NOT the move. I am sure it would void the deal for the Maloofs wile avoiding the threats of Anti-trust action.
Exactly. The Seattle "deal" with the Maloofs has had the effect (probably by design) of making this seem like the team moving to Seattle without question. The $30 million dollar deposit (which I actually haven't seen confirmed by either Hansen/Ballmer or the Maloofs) just adds to that sense.

But it isn't inevitable.

The NBA blocked the sale of the Timberwolves when they would have been moved and told them to find local buyers, which they did. And they have very good reasons to do the same thing now.

1. The Maloofs refused to sell to Burkle when he offered to buy the Kings and keep them in Sacramento. When the Maloofs DID decide to sell, they didn't contact him or Kevin Johnson to allow for a buyer that would not uproot the team and destroy a 60 year old franchise.

2. The NBA spent a lot of time, effort and money to negotiate an arena deal in Sacramento which was only blown up by the Maloofs much to KJ AND Stern's consternation.

3. Sacramento has been a great small market team for the NBA, selling out every game for 19 of 27 seasons despite being lottery bound for most of that time.

4. The Kings are the only major sports team in the 20th largest market. How much better is Seattle being the 12th largest market when you account for the other 3 pro teams, not to mention major college sports programs?

5. Stern contacted AEG (a MAJOR partner with the NBA with a long and important relationship) to personally ask them to start up work with KJ. Why on earth would he do that if he didn't think it was feasible to keep the team in Sacramento.

6. Sacramento, in this economic climate offered up public funding for an arena. I won't defend the Sonics being plucked from Seattle but one unmistakable difference is that Seattle refused to commit public funds for an arena or for a revamp of Key Arena. This is absolutely the most key point to me. Should the Kings be allowed to move, the NBA will have taken a franchise from a city that did absolutely everything the league asked of it simply because the Maloofs chose to sell the team to a guy who wants to move it. I finally watched Sonicsgate and with all due respect, this situation is worse.

If KJ gets the money in order you'll have two offers for the team, both of which will sell the team to a group involving a billionaire have them playing in an outdated arena for two years before moving but one of which means uprooting the team, destroying it's history, financially damaging a small market that has been incredibly loyal to the NBA and damaging a relationship with a city that fought hard to commit public funds and be a good partner with the league in every respect. So why should they side with Hansen/Ballmer?

Because it's what the Maloofs want? Really? I can't believe the league feels any need to cater to their wishes, especially now that they are going to be out as owners one way or another and the money they receive should be the same or very close either way.

Because Hansen might sue over their $30 million if they don't? Every indication I've ever seen from David Stern over the years is that he won't be bullied or intimidated. "Some of my best friends are anti-trust lawyers". Remember those words when the Maloofs seemed to be intimating that they might sue the league? Or even better, there's this quote from Stern, "Sometimes we have lawsuits in a drawer for special occasions – birthdays, weddings and franchise transfers." That was in reference to the NBA suing the Timberwolves to get an injunction blocking relocation.

Again, the Maloofs chose to try and screw over Sacramento by making a deal with Hansen. But on the whole of things, why WOULDN'T the NBA prefer to have the team stay in Sacramento with a new arena?

Last edited:
Is Clay Bennett still going to head up that committee, an interesting dynamic to say the least.

he may be wanting to right a perceived wrong. Seattle fans may see it the other way.

Having him there on this just seems odd to me.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Then there is the big issue. Where would the Kings play for 2 years? The league can’t make the Maloof sell the arena. The Maloof will try to put Bukle and KJ over a barrel. “Sure, you have Sleep train. Just pay us 100 million.” The place isn’t worth 77 now. It’s worth a lot less with ground about to break for a new arena downtown. If KJ went to Sacramento and “won,” there is still a huge unresolved issue with Sleep Train – both for the city’s exposure to the Maloofs forcing it back on the city or keeping it and holding the new owners hostage.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the Maloofs only own STA by virtue of being the owner of the Kings. The new owner would take on that debt and own STA as part of the sale.

I don't want an expansion team and wouldn't likely follow an expansion team. It would be foolish for the NBA to think that would work. You would still poison the Sacramento market because the fans have no faith that they will keep a team and its players at that point. You would just have the Frankensonics full of Kings players and then a hand-me-down Kings squad with no identity as well. The expansion team would be terrible for years while the Frankensonics could be playoff bound in a year or two. That's not going to work to bring back fans or to salvage both markets.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
If we match Hansen's offer, then there's simply no logic to what you suggested. If there's to be an expansion team, it would make more sense all the way around to give that expansion team to Seattle. QUOTE]

It cuts off the anti-trust lawsuit and where the Kings play for two years issue.

For Seattle to get the expansion team, the league has to block the sale and/or move of the Kings, and the Maloofs are told they should sell the team to Burkle at the price KJ met. The league runs the anti-trust lawsuit here.

What if the Maloofs say no? What if they want to try to limp along with Balmer’s 30 million and run the clock out on Sacramento again? Does that make any sense? No, but they are the Maloofs. Who knows what they might do.

So keeping the team here and expanding in Seattle carries the risk of not flushing out the Maloofs and maybe the Balmer lawsuit, should the Maloofs find a way to derail the process with the sale price of the Kings or Sleep Train after the BOG.

It’s messy to say, Seattle gets this roster and we restore the Sonics records and colors right now. The Kings records and colors go into mothballs for 2 years. You are looking at it just as a Kings fan. For the league, it’s much cleaner and safer to give Sacramento the expansion team.
I am quite sure, and I do mean quite sure, that STA will be addressed and secured in any offer the Kings group submits to the BOG.

The entity that has the even bigger advantage is the one that already has the team in its city of choice with an approved arena deal in place. Advantage Sacramento. Theres no other way to spin this.

I see Seattle fans talk about this binding contract often and $30 million dollars, but why don't I see them mention this sentence that has also been attributed to the source... "The Maloofs will receive a $30 million non-refundable deposit Feb. 1, according to the deal, one person said. They will still be allowed to receive other offers until the league approves the sale." Tells me they can change their mind?

I don't know why you think the Arena isn't being sold with the team. Part of the collateral is team shares and the land. I'm sure that if that collateral changes hands the loan becomes due. I don't see anyway the arena is not part of any deal.

REPEAT AFTER ME !!! They do not have a binding agreement until the BOG approves the sale. The deposit is not non refundable. It has conditions applied to it.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Stern made them change the deposit to say its conditional upon approval by the BoG.

Last edited:
Is Clay Bennett still going to head up that committee, an interesting dynamic to say the least.

he may be wanting to right a perceived wrong. Seattle fans may see it the other way.

Having him there on this just seems odd to me.
Bennett saw first hand the crap the Maloofs pulled. He's aways said the home city should have first shot. He feels that he gave Seattle that shot and they didn't take it.

I didn't think the press outing was that bad. It's keeping the Kings in the news and what Sacramento is doing. The Maloofs thrashed to City when they torched the Arena agreement. By showing that they have not one but multiple ownership groups willing to enter the picture it presents a completely different picture of the viability of the Sacramento economy.

As far as the idea of an expansion team, yuck. Sort of like replacement refs, it doesn't wouldn't be the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.