Thank You Mike Malone!

Thank you Coach! First coach who was able to get Boogie on the right track, had our team playing defense, had Ben McLemore looking like an NBA player, had Rudy Gay looking worth the money. Hope you find a new gig and succeed!

Cheers coach, I fully believe if you get a chance again then you will succeed and make our owner/ GM wonder what the hell they were thinking.

The start to this season allowed all of us to enjoy games again :D

I wish you all the best Coach Malone. This took most of us complete surprise and we think you did a good job with what you had to work with.
I'm sure your phone is ringing, other teams will want your coaching skills.

Much love Malone for being classy in a classless organization. Also thanks for improving this team defensively and for taking the time to really develop relationships with the players. Though I didn't agree with everything you did, you coached the right way, which was a breath of fresh air. You deserved better.

We will forever be in debt to Cousins for turning him into a mature individual (Cousins put in the work himself but Malone had a huge hand in that) that plays with his head on his shoulders.

Thank you coach Malone. You are a big part of the reason for the team's improvements this year before Cousins got the illness. I believe that if given more time, you could've grown into an upper level coach. You are still a youngster in terms of being a head coach and a lot of it depends on giving you the chance to make mistakes and learn and develop. Unfortunately Pete and Vivek didn't think so.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Thank you Mike. Or Mr. Malone, should you somehow read this.

You had me believing in this team again. I doubt you would understand how long it's been since I could honestly say that. Thank you.

Thank you coach Malone. Thank you for giving the fan base hope during your short tenure as HC. Patience was the issue here and the FO displayed none. Had DMC not been ill the story line would be completely different. Sometimes life is unfair. You were treated unfairly. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I really appreciated Malone as a head coach, he had his principles and he stuck with them from day one preaching defense number one...unfortunately loyalty and the front offices word doesn't mean a thing...giving him a five year deal was puzzling. Best of success to Malone elsewhere as an assistant, I expect his teams to remain quality defensive teams.

Thank you Coach Malone.
You brought stability where there was none.
You brought out the best in the superstar talent that all knew we had with Demarcus.
You emphasized defense and toughness which was a joy to see.
Unlike some of the other coaches after Rick, you didn't talk through both sides of your mouth, but instead showed integrity and honesty in all your dealings.

Regardless of what happens in the future, you're always going to be perceived as a bright spot in terms of Coaches of the Sacramento Kings and I will be rooting for your success where ever you wind up.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Thanks Coach Malone for all the hard work and dedication! We've had a lot of coaches come and go through the Sacramento front office, so I've seen a variety of coaching styles and personalities over the years. It's plain to me that you have what it takes to coach at this level. I have no doubt you're going to have a long and successful career as a head coach in the NBA. I'd hoped we would continue to benefit from your expertise in Sacramento, but alas it was not to be. Nevertheless you've sewn seeds here with your teaching style that will continue to benefit the franchise in the years to come if they keep this core of players together. The fans and players appreciate the job you did here, if not your immediate superiors. Keep working hard, good things are coming! All the best!

Also... Uncia03 just said everything I wanted to say even better than I could have said it. :) So all that goes for me too.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
As I have done with all Kings players that I thought played with heart while they were here and were traded or signed elsewhere as free agents I will cheer for Michael Malone as a coach any time other than when his team faces the Kings.

Good luck coach. I think your work in Sacramento shows you deserve another shot, and sooner than later.

Thanks Malone. After 8 years we finally started to like where we were heading. But that's all over now that you're gone. Good luck making some other team better while we continue to be losers.

Coach Malone...you got completely screwed here but I have a feeling it's going to be one of those situations where a couple of years from now you might just say it was the best thing that ever happened to you. You definitely have a place in this league and will land somewhere else very soon I'm sure. Best of luck to you!

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
After your experience developing Cuz, I look forward to what you'll do next season with Anthony Davis and all that defensive personnel.

Thanks Coach! You turned focus to defence and played to the strength of your two best players. Its common sense that is missing by the owners and the front office.

Best of luck in the future and I am sure you will get another head coaching job somewhere.

Thank you Coach Malone. This Kings team led by Boogie has brought a lot of fans back. Thank you for being the guy behind the wheel, helping develop McLemore and Cousins, and assisting a guy like Thompson find an effective role in this league. You are a good coach who brings out the best in his players. Good luck.

Thank you Coach Malone. Was a HUGE fan of yours and for the first time since i've been a fan of this team, I felt like we were making good solid progress. What can I say? I'm still having a hard time believing the ignorance and arrogance of our front office. They've lost a lot of my trust and respect. :(

Luck and prosperity in your future gigs.

Last edited:
Thank you Coach Malone. We wish you the best in the long and illustrious career that I am sure awaits you. We took some hard knocks together and I hope they serve you, and us, well in the future. We will always cheer you, except of course, when you play us. Good luck and, once again, thank you for all you have done.

Mike Malone,

You were a great head coach. Standing up to the front office, refusing to trade for Josh Smith, refusing to give in to the FO's offensive musings, among other things: these show how much you care about the team above anything else. You were never about keeping your job, and you were never about bowing down to the front office. Instead, you fostered a team culture that will hopefully live on beyond your stint here, and have had DeMarcus buy in to your system. You played to the strengths of our roster, and did so wisely. The Sacramento Kings are relevant again; good job, Malone. I saw a future where you and Cousins would lead this team for 10+ years, but it is what it is. You deserve better than to work for this sort of FO. Good luck to your future endeavors, and we will never forget the Fall 2014 Sacramento Kings, coached by Michael Malone.