TDOS All Time Kings Fantasy Draft II (Round 10)

If we just said there are 4 CWebbs, 4 Mitchs and 4 DMCs in the draft itself, instead of confining that to a single first round, we could let them be drafted at any time during so there's strategy in using your "franchise card." You could either rush to use it in the first round to make sure to get the franchise guy you want/need. Or you could hold off until even the last round to play your franchise card, knowing you have a mega-star in your back pocket, but if you wait that long, maybe the guy
you really wanted is off the table.

Otherwise, I think I'd vote for just a first round of picking between those three guys and then starting the traditional draft as usual.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Anymore comments on this? Because we are all setup to go now as soon as DD checks in to kick things off.

Option 1: the original idea. Dedicated franchise player first round. Everybody takes either a Webb, a Cuz or a Mitch, entirely their choice. Slight edge to peeps at back of draft order since they can see who others are taking, and perhaps choose a different franchise guy to avoid the fight over the perfect complementary players.

Option 2: the more competitive idea. Dedicated franchise player first round. There are 4 Webbs, 4 Cuz's, 4 Mitches. Edge to early drafters who get their choice.

Option 3: the Lowenherz variation. No dedicated franchise player round. There are still 4 Webbs, 4 Cuzes, and 4 Mitches, but now you can draft yours any round, same as you can a coach. Let's you grab 1 guy you really want early, or wait while you get the perfect teammates, or wait to see who those teammates will be.

Option 4: the logical variation of the Lowenherz variation. No dedicated franchise player round. You can take your franchis eguy any round you like, and it can be any of the three with no limits (so 12 Webbs could be taken, or 9Mitches 1 Webb and 2 Cuzes). So you can build your team first, and then top it off with your franchise guy once you see which one will fit best.

If it helps others decide which way to vote on this, as the second overall pick I'm not too concerned with revealing my strategy, so based on the options (including Option Zero for a traditional draft) this is how things would play out for me:

Option 0 - (Traditional Draft): I take either CWebb or DMC depending on who Dime picks ahead of me. I then grab a lemonade and a comfy chair and await the inevitable finals match-up with Dime.

Option 1 - (No Limit Dedicated Franchise Round): I take CWebb with only a minor glance at Cuz

Option 2 - (Limited Dedicated Franchise Round): Read Option 1

Option 3 - (Limited Dedicated Franchise Draft): I don't have any idea what I do here. I'm still debating with myself how I would strategize this.

Option 4 - (No Limit Franchise Draft): I absolutely wait until the last pick to add my franchise guy, likely again CWebb.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Option 4 is very strange. It's basically no different than Option 1 except you get to build your team first. I would nix #4 off the bat. I would say either #1 or #3. With #1, you very likely have every team (or almost every team) end up with Webber, so that kind of reduces the interest. I guess my vote would be #3 - the folks at the front of the draft get Webb, the folks in the middle get to start the internal debate...pick a guy now, or wait knowing you get one of the two and start picking up the best support staff.

Bricklayer

Alright, because Capt. Fact basically seconded Lowenherz's suggestion, that's what we are going to go with. I'll change the draft tables, and the rules.

NEW FRANCHISE PLAYER RULE -- there are 12 drafters, because of this there will be 4 Webbers, 4 Cousins, and 4 Richmonds available to be drafted (each team can only draft 1 player of those three). There will be no special franchise player round, you can take your franchise player at any point in the draft. The draft will be increased to 10 rounds (1 coach, 1 franchise player, 8 other players) so that the snake balances correctly.

DimeDropper, you are on the clock. We are a go.

Bricklayer

P.S. please remember to mention which season of the player you are taking -- I..e Webb's 00-01, or his 01-02 etc., and it would be really sporting of you to put up the stats the player put up in that season (rem the career stats of every player are linked in the all time Kings player lists I've put together below the draft board) so that I don't have to go look them up, preferably in this format:

11gms 11.1min 11pts (.111 .111 .111) 11.0rebs 11.0ast 1.0stl 1.0blk 1.0TO

Last edited:
Ugh, this is not the draft to get the first pick in. So is the snake in play from the start? Or is it first round, and then back to me, and snake from there on out? I'm guessing the former but just want to be sure. Pick coming up regardless...

Bricklayer

Ugh, this is not the draft to get the first pick in. So is the snake in play from the start? Or is it first round, and then back to me, and snake from there on out? I'm guessing the former but just want to be sure. Pick coming up regardless...
yeah, with the new franchise player rule its just normal snake, 5 times through. 4 of each of the franchise guys available, whichever round you want to take one.

Going to take a risk here, as I believe this thing will be won with roleplayers. I'm going to select Vlade Divac (98-99 season): 50gms 35min 14pts (.47 .25 .70) 10.0rebs 4.3ast 0.9stl 1.0blk 2.6TO

Vlade is arguably the best roleplayer we've ever had and is going to fit in seamlessly with any of the superstars. With a severe lack of capable coaches, Vlade's IQ, character and leadership will help my team play together regardless of whose at the helm.

Last edited:
There's that, and NBA.com and ESPN and a bunch of places, but the ones I've checked don't have the same format. No big deal, but if there is a place that does have that exact format I want to use it. I barely have enough time to figure out who I want to draft. :)

Each player listed has a hyperlink to a page with all the stats info sorted by year. :)
DatabaseBasketball.com!

Oh so close... I got excited there for a minute, but you still have to find or calculate Steals, Blocks and TOs per game. Doh!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
DatabaseBasketball.com!

Oh so close... I got excited there for a minute, but you still have to find or calculate Steals, Blocks and TOs per game. Doh!
??? Isn't just a matter of dividing the total shown in the appropriate column by the number of games?

BTW? Did any of you guys read ALL the rules, in particular #5? Just askin'...

??? Isn't just a matter of dividing the total shown in the appropriate column by the number of games?
Yes, that's usually how you convert a total to an average. ;) And using other sites it's just a matter of rearranging the fields into the right order. Nobody said it was hard.

I was just asking Bricklayer if he had a site he used that does it automatically. This will make our job easier, and by extension his, since he won't have to modify our posted stats to fit the same format. Obviously no big deal. Since I already completed rule #5 I just figured it was the least he could do.

I'm honestly not all that enamored with having the second pick in this draft. I feel it's too early to use my franchise card and too many picks between now and round two when all the golden era guys and glimmers of talent from the surrounding dark ages will have already been snagged, putting way too much pressure on this pick to connect.

Had what I thought was a great plan to combat this - and then Dime went and made the obvious Vlade pick and left me scrambling again.

So, given my options, I'm going to make the one choice that'll let me sleep easy knowing I just went with my personal favorite on the list.

Doug Christie (02-03 season): 80gms 33.9min 9.4pts (.47 .39 .81) 4.3rebs 4.7ast 2.3stl 0.5blk 1.8TO

Going with DC's 02-03 campaign numbers because, even though they're down from previous seasons - particularly his scoring - it's the only time he actually got named to the NBA All-Defensive First Team.

Also the same season as this classic little gem:

So that's neat.

Doug is of course the ultimate backcourt role-player. Solid three-point shooter, could score slashing to the basket, could handle the point and obviously was a brilliant defender. He was the fifth starter on a team brimming with talent and did all the dirty work needed to get that team to the next level. I think of my options at this pick and given the unknown of what'll still be on the board by the time the pick comes back to me, Doug's the most versatile option available whose game could fit with whoever ends up on my roster next.

Besides, I gotta go with the guy whose signed jersey hangs in my own house. Just gotta.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Hey Brick, is there a site that gives you those stats in the order you requested we can use for easy access?
not that I know of.

it is of course the single best format, but having all that info in just any format at all saves me from having to go look it up myself when I add it to the draft baord

In the last iteration of this draft I was lucky enough to start with Webber. Some people playing a draft a second time like to spice things up by avoiding their previous picks entirely. Not me. I love Boogie's 2013-14 season, but not quite enough to make it worth not taking CWebb. Obviously I could take a roleplayer, and now that the first two picks have been roleplayers I'm rethinking that a bit. Like, a lot. And now I'm thinking I could make a great team with any of the three superstars. But no, there is a difference, and the superstar really defines who makes sense as a roleplayer. And Webber makes things much more flexible than either of the other two. And I don't really have the time to figure out which roleplayer to pick now anyway, so I'll go with #4 again.

I am doing one thing different than last time, though. I'm taking the 2000-2001 season. A little younger, a little healthier. Last time I took 02-03 for the additional wisdom, but this time I want Webber at his most dominant self.

Chris Webber
2000-2001 70gms 40.5min 27.1pts (.481 .071 .703) 11.1rebs 4.2ast 1.3stl 1.7blk 2.8TO

Last edited: