Survivor Guatemala

Just realized that Survivor is opening back up tonight! Woot woot!

I randomly declare Cindy as the frontrunner

(really random, I know nothing but names of any of them ;) )

I got so disgusted with that series a while back that I haven't watched in a few seasons. But the location looks very intriguing, as does that premise about two old Survivor castaways coming back. Perhaps I will give it another chance and hopefully it has gotten better since.

mcsluggo said:
What got you so disgusted?
It just seemed to deteiorate as far the quality of contestants went. It seemed like the producers were just into finding the most outrageous people out there (such as Johnny Fairplay) ala the Jerry Springer show or something. That wasn't at all the way the show started out. And I got fed up with seeing people being rewarded and given prizes for being liars and deceivers.

Johny Fairplay was an iritating boob.

However, Rob Cesternino was my all time favorite contestant, and it could be argued that he fit your overall description as well. I think the lying and deceiving ARE a huge part of the game, and should be. Lying and deceiving in Survivor is not a sign of a character flaw any more than stealing second in baseball or bluffing in poker are, it is a vital component to the game. Its just that some were able to do it in an amusing and clever way, and others (ala weiner fairplay) were just irritating tools.

What threatens to turn ME away from survivor is just about the opposite. Everyone can see that the strong personalities (and strong athletes) are viewed as threats, and are generally picked off, so the most common strategy is to be as inconspicuous as possible.

You can always wait another round to vote off the wallflower, but you bettter get rid of <place strong competitor here> now, while you still can...

this led to games where there were really just a bunch of dull characters left in the end, and someone eventually won being congratulated for "really doing a good job of flying under the radar the whole game." <yawn> This may have been kinda interesting when it happened once, perhaps, but over and over and over again?

to make things worse the producers seemed to set things up so that this was MORE likely to happen. After texas-boy ran the challenges in the second season in Australia, they seemed to get in a pattern of having big physical or mental challenges early, right after the merge, that set up someone as "the dangerous one who must be voted off" and then they ALWAYS had the later challenges be stuff like "who has the smallest hands and can reach into a jar" or "who can stand on a stick the longest" where the seemingly threatening smart or strong players really had no advantages after all (but it didn't matter, because they had all been voted off)

anyway, I'm looking forward to a new season!

Question for survivor fans:

other than the first, What season (or seasons) did you like the best and/or least, and why?

I personally like the amazon one because there was ALOT of scheming going on, and was bored stiff by the Australia season where everyone was starving to the point that they had no wits about them anymore (and it was the first season where someone won by "brilliantly" flying under the radar)

RoyalDiva said:
It just seemed to deteiorate as far the quality of contestants went. It seemed like the producers were just into finding the most outrageous people out there (such as Johnny Fairplay) ala the Jerry Springer show or something. That wasn't at all the way the show started out. And I got fed up with seeing people being rewarded and given prizes for being liars and deceivers.
Richard Hatch in season 1 wasn't disgusting?

mcsluggo said:
Johny Fairplay was an iritating boob.

However, Rob Cesternino was my all time favorite contestant, and it could be argued that he fit your overall description as well. I think the lying and deceiving ARE a huge part of the game, and should be. Lying and deceiving in Survivor is not a sign of a character flaw any more than stealing second in baseball or bluffing in poker are, it is a vital component to the game. Its just that some were able to do it in an amusing and clever way, and others (ala weiner fairplay) were just irritating tools.

What threatens to turn ME away from survivor is just about the opposite. Everyone can see that the strong personalities (and strong athletes) are viewed as threats, and are generally picked off, so the most common strategy is to be as inconspicuous as possible.

You can always wait another round to vote off the wallflower, but you bettter get rid of <place strong competitor here> now, while you still can...

this led to games where there were really just a bunch of dull characters left in the end, and someone eventually won being congratulated for "really doing a good job of flying under the radar the whole game." <yawn> This may have been kinda interesting when it happened once, perhaps, but over and over and over again?

to make things worse the producers seemed to set things up so that this was MORE likely to happen. After texas-boy ran the challenges in the second season in Australia, they seemed to get in a pattern of having big physical or mental challenges early, right after the merge, that set up someone as "the dangerous one who must be voted off" and then they ALWAYS had the later challenges be stuff like "who has the smallest hands and can reach into a jar" or "who can stand on a stick the longest" where the seemingly threatening smart or strong players really had no advantages after all (but it didn't matter, because they had all been voted off)

anyway, I'm looking forward to a new season!
Agree with you completely about the strength of the contestants and the strongest being voted off first because they are a "threat". One should not win anything at all for being a boring, innocous tire-kicker.

mcsluggo said:
he was perfect for the show
Of course, but I don't think players got much more deceptive after that season...Jonny Fairplay was definitely a unique entity, but I think season 1 was just as ugly as any of the others.

mcsluggo said:
Question for survivor fans:

other than the first, What season (or seasons) did you like the best and/or least, and why?

I personally like the amazon one because there was ALOT of scheming going on, and was bored stiff by the Australia season where everyone was starving to the point that they had no wits about them anymore (and it was the first season where someone won by "brilliantly" flying under the radar)
Actually, the Australia season was my absolute favorite! In fact, I enjoyed watching it on re-runs recently on cable. It just had such a great mix of interesting characters and the show itself was a great, even mix of drama, warm fuzziness, and great challenges without being over the top in any of it. All my faves were in that season.

My least favorite was Africa. The location was sooo boring, ugly, gross, and dangerous in terms of dehydration. Notice they haven't had any similar settings since? And the contestants were all very dull.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
YES!

Whoot!!!!!

For the record, my early favorite to win it all is former NFL-quarterback Gary Hogeboom.

Survivor is STILL my all-time favorite "reality" show. I recently heard it described as a show that isn't actually reality, but more a study in how people will respond in non-scripted but semi-controlled situations.

And that, in a nutshell, is what I like about the show. While the location is controlled, most the events that happen within it are not. Witness the severe burns Michael suffered...

I don't agree that the producers were just into finding the most outrageous people out there. I think they couldn't resist Jonny Fairplay because he was so out there... and it set the bar for slimey so low that almost anyone else looked decent by comparison.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to tonight with GREAT expectation.

Remember, www.survivorupdates.com is a great place to catch up on anything you might have missed and get the latest rumors, etc.

Anyone have a guess on who the returning "two of the most popular previous survivors" might be?

mcsluggo - In answer to your question, I don't really have a favorite because I think each year has had different dynamics. I do agree, though, that Australia might have been the low point.

RoyalDiva said:
Actually, the Australia season was my absolute favorite! In fact, I enjoyed watching it on re-runs recently on cable. It just had such a great mix of interesting characters and the show itself was a great, even mix of drama, warm fuzziness, and great challenges without being over the top in any of it. All my faves were in that season.

My least favorite was Africa. The location was sooo boring, ugly, gross, and dangerous in terms of dehydration. Notice they haven't had any similar settings since? And the contestants were all very dull.

I agree that Africa was fairly dull. And alot of survivor fans really liked australia, I think there was a poll over on "survivorsucks.com" that rated it as the second favorite season (after the original) but I just didn't/don't see the appeal.

Do any of you ever read the "survivor recraps"?

They are put out by someone whose stagename/handle is GreggBuisIsADick (I'm unsure of the spelling, but Greg Buis was the blond curly hair guy on the first survivor, and I've heard speculation that he is actually the one who writes the recraps)

Anyway, the recraps are crude, mean, bitchy and snotty... and really contribute to my enjoyment of the show! Check 'em out if you've never seen them.

My wife and I are very excited for Survivor. We make it a habit to watch every episode and season.

As far as our favorite season, for me (and my wife) Survivor: Pearl Islands was great season, not because of Jack*** Johnny, but because of Rubert. That first episode where he stole the shoes then cackled like a pirate will always stick in my mind as one of the all-time great Survivor moments.

bdouble013 said:
My wife and I are very excited for Survivor. We make it a habit to watch every episode and season.

As far as our favorite season, for me (and my wife) Survivor: Pearl Islands was great season, not because of Jack*** Johnny, but because of Rubert. That first episode where he stole the shoes then cackled like a pirate will always stick in my mind as one of the all-time great Survivor moments.
Ru!!!!! That was so hilarious!! Perhaps, if we're lucky, Rubert will be one of the survivors coming back.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/09/15/earlyshow/series/survivor/main846622.shtml

That is the link to the interview with Probst on the early show today. He said GARY HOGENBOOM is one of the survivors ALIAS: GARY HAWKINS.

I am starting to get pumped up. Rumors abound on that Survivorupdates site to who the 2 people returning are. They are going to play the entire game or try to according to Jeff. If who they rumor it to be on SU.com that would be pretty cool. I liked both of them.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Um, BW - The Gary Hogenboom comment was also in yesterday's Bee.

;)

As far as RuPERT goes, I don't think he's going to return but I've stayed away from the rumor sites...

For true Survivor fans, be sure and watch for E! The Hollywood Story - Survivors. I watched it the other night and it was wonderful!! Included some followups on people, including Michael.

i LOVED pearl islands!!!!! rupert was the BEST, and i also loved sandra. she totally ran her mouth, i loved that argument she and johnny fair play got into. i was bummed she wasn't on the all stars

bobby jon and steph are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! woo hoo!!!! i just loved bobby jon last time, normalluy i HATE twangs, but his is so cute. he looks fatter then last time.

steph finally won an immunity challenge, good for her. now it's bobby jon's turn next week ;)

i'm so glad this is back on!!! i don't want any other reality TV shows, it's all about survivor!

I'm glad Rupert wasn't one of the returning suvivors. His 15 minutes are done.
I'm hoping that Stephanie pulls tis one out. She's tougher than most of the guys on there.

Anyone have an idea why it was the guys that all got sick in that one tribe?? I really didn't need to see it either.

And why would Jim be surprised to be the first one voted off...he tore his freakin bicep muscle!!!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
First, I'm impressed. They'll be lucky if half the survivors aren't dead by day 25.

;)

I like this group of contestants. I think Jim tearing his muscle made it obvious he would be voted off. I didn't get the idea he was really surprised...

I was really happy to see Stephanie back. She and Bobby Jon deserved a second chance after what they went through before.

As far as all the guys getting sick, I suspect they were all acting a bit too macho...carrying too much stuff, not drinking enough water periodically and then - after dehydration had set in - overcompensating. Either that, or one of the women tried to poison them.

I am so glad Survivor is back!!!

and how lucky was that team to have a nurse to tend to them!

I agree, kinda excited to be watching something fun for the whole family, besides play-off basketball!

I caught the last 5 minutes of that show. I wonder what the ancient Mayans would have thought about the show taking place in their temples? Probably would have been disappointed that no one's heart was ripped out of their chest and then rolled down the steps.:eek:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
PixelPusher said:
I caught the last 5 minutes of that show. I wonder what the ancient Mayans would have thought about the show taking place in their temples? Probably would have been disappointed that no one's heart was ripped out of their chest and then rolled down the steps.:eek:
It's only the first week.

Look at what happened. Four survivors got very ill, one got his shoulder badly punctured when a tree attacked him and another ripped his bicep apart.

This is good TV!

:D

Looks interesting. The two returning survivors is a wash for me since I haven't watched it in a few seasons, I don't know who these two are. But Bobby Jon looks like he could be a male mode. :) Totally gross how they had to show so many puking shots of the guys, though. Jim should know that an injury is the ultimate kiss of death on Survivor. Heck, he should of just resigned on the spot.

VF21 said:
First, I'm impressed. They'll be lucky if half the survivors aren't dead by day 25.

;)

I like this group of contestants. I think Jim tearing his muscle made it obvious he would be voted off. I didn't get the idea he was really surprised...

I was really happy to see Stephanie back. She and Bobby Jon deserved a second chance after what they went through before.

As far as all the guys getting sick, I suspect they were all acting a bit too macho...carrying too much stuff, not drinking enough water periodically and then - after dehydration had set in - overcompensating. Either that, or one of the women tried to poison them.

I am so glad Survivor is back!!!
Yup

Yup

Yup

and YUP

I wanted to say the same thing. I like the fact that the challenges seemed to have been stepped up a notch (so far). Very cool challenges.

I was glad to see them both. Stephanie is probably one of the best players to play the game and not make it. She is definately one of my favorite female players. I was never a Bobby Jon fan but he desirves a chance after last year.

Last years show was IMO one of the worst, it was too lopsided. I liked all the others.