STRANGE NEWS: Students Decide Rules

Do you agree or disagree with the way this school is run?

• Total voters
http://www.kcra.com/education/10369273/detail.html

School Has No Grades, Homework Or Tests

Students Decide Rules

POSTED: 3:48 am PST November 21, 2006
UPDATED: 9:44 am PST November 21, 2006

Email This Story | Print This Story

NEW YORK -- One recent day at the Brooklyn Free School, the "schedule" included the following: filming horror movies, chess, debate and making caves for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
Not that the students had to go to any of these sessions. At this school, students don't get grades, don't have homework, don't take tests, and don't even have to go to class - unless they want to.

"You can do basically anything at any time, and it's just a lot more fun because sometimes when you need a break at regular schools you can't get it," said Sophia Bennett Holmes, 12, an aspiring singer-actress-fashion designer. "But here, if you just need to sit down and read and have time to play, then you can do that."
"Free schools," which had their heyday decades ago, operate on the belief that children are naturally curious and learn best when they want to, not when forced to. Today, the approach is getting another look from some parents and students tired of standardized testing, excessive homework, and overly rigid curriculums.
"Every kid here is definitely motivated to learn something, there's no doubt in my mind," said Alan Berger, a former public school assistant principal who founded the Brooklyn school in 2004. "Our belief is that if we let them pursue their passions and desires, they'll be able to get into it deeper. They'll be able to learn more how to learn."
Hundreds of free schools opened in the U.S. and elsewhere in the 1960s and 1970s. Most shut down, but some, such as the Albany Free School and Sudbury Valley School in Massachusetts, have persisted. Overall, it's unknown how many free schools operate today.
The ones still in operation often use a "democratic" model, giving students a say in running the institution.
At the Brooklyn Free School, much of that decision-making occurs in a mandatory (yes, as in required) weekly gathering called the Democratic Meeting. Here, students air grievances, pose challenges, propose rules and set policy. Even the youngest kids have a vote equal to staffers. One agreed-upon rule? No sword-fighting allowed inside.
The school -- granted a provisional charter by the state to run as a private educational institution -- occupies two floors of a Free Methodist church.
Students are required to show up for at least 5.5 hours a day, partly so that the school can meet legal definitions, but what they do with their time is up to them. The student population -- 42 students, ages 5 to 17 -- is diverse racially, economically and in terms of ability, and the students are not separated by age.
On any given day, a student might be playing chess, reading a book, practicing yoga or helping mummify a chicken.
Even among some champions of alternative education, free schools are considered a bit too radical.
"You don't throw the baby out with the bath water," said Jeanne Allen, president of the Center for Education Reform, a leading advocate of charter schools. "You don't get rid of all structure and standards if you want your child to be able to deal with all different settings."
Others say free schools could gain popularity if the emphasis on testing and regimented curriculums keeps up.
"Not only is there more interest, this is the wave of the future," said Jerry Mintz, director of the Alternative Education Resource Organization. "The other approach doesn't work, and everybody knows it."
The Brooklyn Free School isn't free in the financial sense. Tuition is $10,000 a year, but many parents just give what they can. There's a waiting list of about 35 students.
Watching the change in her son, David Johnston, has been worth the risk for Randy Karr.
While David did well "statistically" at previous schools, he hated going, sometimes crying when she dropped him off. Getting him to do homework was a struggle, and in Karr's opinion, the homework was useless anyway.
"There's very little about learning that goes on in school," Karr said. "A lot of it is being still, being quiet, not talking to your neighbor, not moving around too much. Especially if you're a boy, it's lethal."
At the Brooklyn Free School, David, now 12, is blossoming. He helps run a class on pharmacology and carries a notebook where he writes down things he's learning.
But what about the basics? Long division, spelling, algebra? Is it enough to let a child decide when to learn those things? That troubles a few parents who use outside tutors for their children, Berger said.
Some students said the flexibility made sense for the youngest and oldest, but not as much for those in the middle.
"I feel like they're definitely going to have a hard time with college, where you have to sort of do that sitting down and shutting up thing," said Victoria Rothman, 17, a public school refugee who now spends much of her school day studying music. "There are kids who sit here and play video games all day. I'd put a limit to that or ban it."
Others disagree, noting most adults can barely remember, or rarely use, most of what schools pounded into them.
In some ways, as the Brooklyn school evolves, it is becoming more structured.
Students will soon have to meet a set of graduation "requirements," where they must present a portfolio showing proficiency in the areas such as communication, investigation and reflection.
But the definition of proficiency, like much of the school, is flexible.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Communication, investigation and reflection?

Yeah, that'll work...

Today's students get way too little core education already IMHO. This just furthers my belief that we are well on our way to becoming a nation of veal calves.

What happens when these "students" get a job and have to do what their boss tells them..whether they like it or not??
"Nah, I don't think so..I just feel like reading a book or playing." :rolleyes:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Having come from some rigid private schools and then finding myself a tad lost in my newfound freedom in college I think there is something to be said for this approach if it is done correctly. With that said I think I'll be sending my kids to more traditional private schools like the ones I went to.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
pdxKingsFan - There's something to be said for this approach if it's done correctly? Okay, that's really pretty ironic considering the main point of the free school is that there is no structure, which means there's nothing to gauge whether or not it's being done correctly.

You can allow students freedom within parameters but this type of stuff doesn't work. It didn't work back in the 60s and the 70s and it won't work now.

You learn a lot more than facts and figures in school. You learn that you can't always do what you like, that it's not always just about you, that you have to learn to exist within a group, etc. Those are valuable lessons.

I really believe the students here are the true victims. They will not be able to compete successfully in the cruel cold world. The only possible saving grace will be if they inherit enough family weath to carry them through. And that's assuming they don't blow the bankroll on things like PS3's from eBay.

;)

:eek: I think that's crazy. What is that school thinking?! My parents would like sue the school if I went there. Come on, no homework, grades, or tests.? That's overrated... these kids are gonna have a tough life ahead of them. :mad: Wow... what's happening these days!

the public education system in this country sucks...period. doesn't matter if you're going to a so-called "free school" or a strict private school. they're both on opposite ends of an unbalanced spectrum. you're either being tested too much or too little, and regardless, this country places too much value on tests and results, and not enough emphasis on knowledge and the value of an education. all you hear in high school is about how you're being prepared for college. prepare me for college? what the hell does that mean? don't prepare me for college! i'll prepare myself for college! just teach me SOMETHING!

having endured through high school, also known as the greatest exercise in bull**** ever, i can honestly say the majority of it was a waste of my time. there were some teachers who got it, and those are the ones that i'll never forget, because they truly inspired me to seek after knowledge, to seek after my passions, and to follow what would otherwise have been hollow dreams. those teachers were terribly far and few between, unfortunately. college, on the other hand, is a place i can dig, cuz it values knowledge, and so far i've enjoyed even the most mundane of general education courses, because the teachers love it, and that passion is communicated in such a way that they at least make me think about what i'm doing there. that's the first step to understanding, the next step in seeking after knowledge, and a great step forward in having peace of mind about where you are as a student.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
pdxKingsFan - There's something to be said for this approach if it's done correctly? Okay, that's really pretty ironic considering the main point of the free school is that there is no structure, which means there's nothing to gauge whether or not it's being done correctly.
What I meant is that there might be some merit to a hybrid of this approach where you give the kids a little more freedom than they get at a traditional prep school but still have a traditional way of measuring their progress and set criteria for advancing. I understand they don't do that at this particular school which is why I didn't give it the thumbs up either.

the public education system in this country sucks...period. doesn't matter if you're going to a so-called "free school" or a strict private school. they're both on opposite ends of an unbalanced spectrum. you're either being tested too much or too little, and regardless, this country places too much value on tests and results, and not enough emphasis on knowledge and the value of an education. all you hear in high school is about how you're being prepared for college. prepare me for college? what the hell does that mean? don't prepare me for college! i'll prepare myself for college! just teach me SOMETHING!

having endured through high school, also known as the greatest exercise in bull**** ever, i can honestly say the majority of it was a waste of my time. there were some teachers who got it, and those are the ones that i'll never forget, because they truly inspired me to seek after knowledge, to seek after my passions, and to follow what would otherwise have been hollow dreams. those teachers were terribly far and few between, unfortunately. college, on the other hand, is a place i can dig, cuz it values knowledge, and so far i've enjoyed even the most mundane of general education courses, because the teachers love it, and that passion is communicated in such a way that they at least make me think about what i'm doing there. that's the first step to understanding, the next step in seeking after knowledge, and a great step forward in having peace of mind about where you are as a student.
Good points here, but some I'd like to add to. I am a public school teacher and I recognize that our system has some serious problems to deal with. Working in this broken system every day, it is hard to find a place to start with so many issues to deal with.

You alluded to the new buzz word, "accountability"...the extra emphasis placed on testing and performance standards. Standards, like anything else, have their pros and cons. On one hand, standards assure that every student in California is learning the same thing at each grade level regardless of where their school is. On the other hand, it severely limits the teacher's ability to go outside the box, so to speak...it can be difficult to appeal to the interests of the students when you are REQUIRED to teach certain subjects by certain dates. To be blunt...sometimes we just don't have time to allow you to "seek your passions"...and that's sad.

As far as teachers "not getting it"...I would admit that's true in many respects...it takes a special teacher to be able to teach a standardized education in a way that grabs the attetion of students. I actually use my background in sketch comedy as much as I use my teaching skills and content knowledge. Unfortunately, not every teacher (or anyone for that matter) has the ability to merge the need for specific curriculum requirements with the creativity that modern teaching requires. Most teachers I know are excellent teachers and passionate individuals, but not all find success in the ever-changing world of education.

BUT...these teachers ARE out there. And they are the ones who should be in local, state, and federal leadership positions. They should be working with teachers at their schools to spread good teaching practice, and THEY should be the ones creating our statewide content standards, not politicians and textbook companies who have not stepped foot in a classroom since they were children.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I was a product of the California public school system and I'm proud of my education.

There ARE good teachers out there; unfortunately, as D-Mass has indicated, they are often unable to keep up with all the restrictions and requirements forced upon them by bureaucrats and folks who have never even stepped into a classroom.

IMHO we have a desperate need to get back to basics. We need to do the tough work at the front end, BEFORE the teachers are hired, and then - once they're in the classroom - let them do their jobs without totally overwhelming them to the point where they either burn out or lose the passion or both.

Teaching is an honorable profession. Unfortunately, it's also becoming a lost art because a lot of times we no longer allow our teachers to teach.

I was a product of the California public school system and I'm proud of my education.

There ARE good teachers out there; unfortunately, as D-Mass has indicated, they are often unable to keep up with all the restrictions and requirements forced upon them by bureaucrats and folks who have never even stepped into a classroom.

IMHO we have a desperate need to get back to basics. We need to do the tough work at the front end, BEFORE the teachers are hired, and then - once they're in the classroom - let them do their jobs without totally overwhelming them to the point where they either burn out or lose the passion or both.

Teaching is an honorable profession. Unfortunately, it's also becoming a lost art because a lot of times we no longer allow our teachers to teach.
Agreed on all points. Some of the best teachers I've ever known were rookies right out of school...lots of energy, and willing to try new things. Unfortunately, most of them left teaching after just a few years. It's just not as much fun as it used to be. I've only been teaching for 8 years...and it's already MUCH different than it was when I started and the standards movement was just beginning.

Excellent points on all ends. I still believe we really need to get back to the Parents and Teachers parenting and teaching our youth. Too many times I see adults trying to befriend children. Well, to some extent that might be okay, but let us not forget who is in charge. Yes, I said it.

I have always believed deep in my heart I was called to be a teacher, but the way schools are run, and the way parents raise their children has kept me from making that step. It would be much too disheartening for me to endure all the wrong that is with our educational and parenting systems.

Excellent points on all ends. I still believe we really need to get back to the Parents and Teachers parenting and teaching our youth. Too many times I see adults trying to befriend children. Well, to some extent that might be okay, but let us not forget who is in charge. Yes, I said it.

I have always believed deep in my heart I was called to be a teacher, but the way schools are run, and the way parents raise their children has kept me from making that step. It would be much too disheartening for me to endure all the wrong that is with our educational and parenting systems.

This is why I am taking this year off from teaching. I am working a "normal" job for a year. I know that I'll teach again. I just need to get some of my "We can make a difference" attitude back.

There is some merit in letting children learn on their own. They are more willing to work when they are interested in what they are learning. We need to help them develop their imagination and desire to learn.

HOWEVER- Not everything in education is fun. Nobody likes long division, but you need to know it. Structured learning is essential to education. Our public schools depend too much on standardized testing, but this school has gone to the opposite extreme. Most people tend to do just enough to meet expectations. There are some who exceed expections, but this is not the norm. My fear with this school is that these children will not be prepared for real life.

I believe that we are failing our kids across the board in education. Sadly, many people agree as well. That is why we end up with schools like this.

By the way, I was always a good student. If I was a student at this school, I would have spent my days "studying" boys, sports, boys, Bon Jovi, and boys. I would not have learned much, but I would have had a good time!!

This is why I am taking this year off from teaching. I am working a "normal" job for a year. I know that I'll teach again. I just need to get some of my "We can make a difference" attitude back.

There is some merit in letting children learn on their own. They are more willing to work when they are interested in what they are learning. We need to help them develop their imagination and desire to learn.

HOWEVER- Not everything in education is fun. Nobody likes long division, but you need to know it. Structured learning is essential to education. Our public schools depend too much on standardized testing, but this school has gone to the opposite extreme. Most people tend to do just enough to meet expectations. There are some who exceed expections, but this is not the norm. My fear with this school is that these children will not be prepared for real life.

I believe that we are failing our kids across the board in education. Sadly, many people agree as well. That is why we end up with schools like this.

By the way, I was always a good student. If I was a student at this school, I would have spent my days "studying" boys, sports, boys, Bon Jovi, and boys. I would not have learned much, but I would have had a good time!!
^ lol to that Chelle! :p