Stones in the Forest

I intend to build a wall, a rock wall near the house. There are thousands of suitable boulders in the inaccessible forest east of my house. Over the next two weeks, I intend to devise a clever means to move several tons of very heavy boulders to my house without motorized assistance. This is a physical and intellectual challenge. More to follow.

Attachments

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Invite a bunch of Kings fans to form a human chain and ... oh, wait.

You said "very heavy boulders," didn't you?

Hmmmmmm....

VF21 leaves to look for her copy of "Secrets of Ancient Egypt" which - she thinks - might have a chapter all about moving large stones.

VF21 resists urge to giggle insanely over "moving large stones" reference because of the immediate image of kidney stones, which everyone knows aren't a laughing matter

VF21 loses the battle and giggles...

Maybe this fellow could help:

Well, I started. Day one.

The best source of building stones is a pile of tailings boulders that remains from early placer gold mining. The boulders range in size from 5 to 36-inches in diameter. They are located about 200 feet east of the house, and the best boulders, those covered with thick moss and lichen, are just a few feet higher in elevation than the house. The side-hill slope is steep, slippery, and full of downed trees, 100-year-old manzanita, live oaks, and pines. It's tough to walk, much less carry anything. The forest critters don't seem to mind.

I decided to rig a 3/8-inch steel cable through the trees on the side-hill slope. The plan is to stretch the cable tight, and fix burlap sacks full of stones onto the cable with steel pullies. In theory, the bags can then be pulled from the source pile half-way to the house. I will unload the bags of stones at the down-slope end of the cable, and thus transport the stones across a nasty ravine. In theory.

I had to clear brush and chain-saw down some small trees. I climbed a skinny old manzanite to move the cable, and the limb broke. I left a lot of hide in the forest, and ended upside-down in the sticks on the brushy slope. Not to worry. It's not Fallujah.

Tomorrow is another day.

Last edited:

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Good call on the cables and pullys but never forget the gresed skid!
PS some of those old tailings piles are still full of gold due to the very ineffecient early recovery techniques. The underside of those boulders might be nice little pockets to pan out ;)

I want to see pictures at the conclusion of your venture! :)

I absolutely LOVE rock walls! Most of my family lives on the East Coast but I was born and raised in California. I love the rock walls in the east and, yup, I believe most are made from either mine tailings (coal/slate) or from unearthed rocks left from clearing fields for crops. I think they are beautiful (and my E.C. family thinks I'm crazy-and they may not be alone! LOL), I hope your venture is both successful and beautiful!!! Skinned knuckles notwithstanding! Best of luck and good fortune to you, QD!

:D
KK!

No rattlesnakes observed in 11 years, but a good point. I have seen two snakes in 11 years. A green racer with yellow pin stripes hiding in a potted tomato plant, two feet off the ground. A worm snake in the kitchen. It was the only worm snake that I have seen in 45 years of hiking in the bushes. Looked like a night crawler with a tiny mouth and no dark ring in the middle.

Can't pan boulders. I have a small trommel and sluice, and have run tons of local silt and sand. Only found a few flakes. This ground has been worked over repeatedly since 1848. A Spanish fellow named Mr. Vaca allegedly walked out of the valley where I live in the summer of 1848 with $15,000 worth of gold. That equates to $400,000 at the current price of gold. He allegedly did it with a pan! Timing is everthing. No wait. It was location, location, location, plus timing.

I tried to hire a strapping young man to jack-hammer the hillside to set a foundation for my new wall. He aint coming, so again, I'm on my own. Scheist. My wife has conveniently left town again.

Oh well, I need to lose 10 or 15 pounds and lower my cholesterol 30 points.

Photos coming. I got one of those fancy digital cameras to rebuild an engine. You know, photograph the damn thing before you remove all the wires and hoses. I gave up on the engine idea, so I got a camera for fooling around.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Thanks for this thread, qd. You have a way of making what sounds like very hard work sound hilarious. I am sure there is nothing funny about the back breaking work though.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Panning boulders bad idea, pan the soil UNDER the boulder where something heavy might have been traped for some time. Rattlers bad idea, leave them alone. Jack hammergood idea, if you rent one can you run it your self? Engine rebuild-great idea, love getting greasy and bringing an old car to life. (I like the litte ones, like my 72 Triumph)
PS. I suppose it makes sesnse that up in "Gold country" the area would be prety picked over, but down here on the San Joaquin river I have always a luck finding a little gold every time out (enough to make my exwifes engagement ring).

Last edited:
HndsmCelt said:
Panning boulders bad idea, pan the soil UNDER the boulder where something heavy might have been traped for some time. Rattlers bad idea, leave them alone. Jack hammergood idea, if you rent one can you run it your self? Engine rebuild-great idea, love getting greasy and bringing an old car to life. (I like the litte ones, like my 72 Triumph)
PS. I suppose it makes sesnse that up in "Gold country" the area would be prety picked over, but down here on the San Joaquin river I have always a luck finding a little gold every time out (enough to make my exwifes engagement ring).
My wine cellar/bistro is a converted gold mine, specifically an early placer ground sluice which was driven on an 11-degree incline. A section of the roof of the tunnel caved-in about 66 feet from the portal during a "run" in the early 1870s. I am certain that the tunnel continues behind the cave-in for another 500 feet or more. It is likely that the floor of the ground sluice was never cleaned! This would have been one of the main tunnels coming from a Tertiary channel that likely produced hundreds of millions of dollars in gold, and most of the production went unrecorded. There are no photographs of the operation due to its age. If I were 30 and stupid, I would try to open up the tunnel. I would love to see what's wedged in the cracks of the slate floor behind the muck pile.

Prophetess said:
qd---that pic makes him look like he's ready to go Cujo on you.
He wants me to fight him for that chicken stick, give up, then eventually throw it. Sometimes the sticks he finds to play with are down right embarassing.

quick dog said:
Sometimes a dog feels like he has been left out.
LOL! Are you sure that dog is "quick"? He looks like he'd fit between the rungs of that ladder pretty easily! Not to mention...right over the top of it! But his expression sure says he's feeling left out! :D

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Gotta love Labs, not the sharpest tool in the shed but definatly the sweetist and possibly the funniest! Unile Border Collies who will not only figgure out how to escape from any confine but will "borrow" the car if they feel the need.

HndsmCelt said:
Gotta love Labs, not the sharpest tool in the shed but definatly the sweetist and possibly the funniest! Unile Border Collies who will not only figgure out how to escape from any confine but will "borrow" the car if they feel the need.
Absolutely right.

I think Bill is of questionable lineage, just like me. He is smarter than one of those classic brick-headed Labradors. He is not as smart as a Border Collie, just like me. He doesn't bite, and rarely barks. He has never made a mess in the house or chewed anything wrong. He's very clean and rarely drools. He is not a pig-dog, and takes treats delicately.

By the way, if he really wanted to come into his compound, he would have done so without difficulty. The dreaded hillside path is shown below. The "forest stones" project continues.

Attachments

Last edited:

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Harbor Freight (the Big Lots for tools) sells some pretty inexpensive "come alongs" that might pull a few hundered pounds up that hill. Worth looking at.

Where are the stones?

Here are the fabled stones in the forest, and they are 250 feet from the house. The cable has been set. Now I need field workers and authority to proceed from She Who Must Be Tollerated.

Attachments

quick dog said:
Photos coming. I got one of those fancy digital cameras to rebuild an engine. You know, photograph the damn thing before you remove all the wires and hoses. I gave up on the engine idea, so I got a camera for fooling around.
Funny, that's one of the reasons I got a digital a couple of years back. To remember what stuff is supposed to look like after you have taken it apart.

It's also good for photographing error messages on your computer screen that flash during boot-up for a nanosecond.

Bartking said:
Funny, that's one of the reasons I got a digital a couple of years back. To remember what stuff is supposed to look like after you have taken it apart.

It's also good for photographing error messages on your computer screen that flash during boot-up for a nanosecond.
I think this thing will come in handy for photographing jewelry and paintings for insurance purposes.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
quick dog said:
Here are the fabled stones in the forest, and they are 250 feet from the house. The cable has been set. Now I need field workers and authority to proceed from She Who Must Be Tollerated.
So what are you going to call this project when it's done? Stonehenge West???

;)

quick dog said:
Has Bill been slacking off again? Perhaps your plan has been vetoed by your "superior" instead? :D

I was out in Folsom yesterday (and again today) and noticed a short rock retaining wall along Folsom Blvd. and I thought of you and your wall project...so I was curious as to which kind of wall you were going to build. Are you talking about the kind of natural stone wall they have there (various sizes of boulders filled in with dirt and smaller stones) or the kind where they rocks are roughly formed into fairly uniform sizes?

P.S. Any news on the program/time your daughter may be appearing in on the Food Channel? I'm thinkin'...if she comes home for her Christmas holiday she looks a bit more energetic and helpful than Bill (sorry, Bill...you're a beautiful dog but your boss seems to think your work ethic is lacking, something about too many breaks and needing too much direction! :D ).

KK!