• STAUSKAS

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • ...Stauskas.

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Stowskass

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters
Small sample size, I know.

But of the entire roster since Karl took over, the Kings have their best offensive rating, 106.7, when Nik is on the floor. He has a 61.5% TS% in this period, second on the team to Hollins. And in the month of March, he's averaged 8.1 PPG in 19 MPG with a .471/.435/.882 slash line. He looks a lot less intimidated with the ball in his hands, he's playing better defense, and he generally looks more comfortable.

Is there reason for optimism?

IMO yes there is. IMO more reason for optimism than I have for Ben. We should keep Ben if Stauskas continues to improve and becomes a candidate to start. A little too soon to tell but
I guess I'm expecting it.

Yes a ton of reason for optimism. Stauskas has shown us that he's not a shooter, but a scorer. He can score in so many variety of ways and he's shown us high bball IQ. Defense still needs work, but he's shown us flashes of smarts. I will attempt a breakdown of Nik's progression thus far this season..I have never made any videos..but I will attempt. Nik is looking good. He started off the season like a timid and scared rookie. The more we give him PT and the ball, the more good he'll do.

I was never really worried about stauskas. I figured he'd probably struggle this year, but his bball iq is too high to make him a bust. With some more playing time and having the ball in his hands some more, I'm sure he'll eventually come around.

Mclemore on the other hand.......

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Yes a ton of reason for optimism. Stauskas has shown us that he's not a shooter, but a scorer.
He's not a scorer, Jamal Crawford is a scorer. What he's shown is he's an all around player with the skillset to contribute in a number of ways. His ability to handle and pass off the bounce as well as create off the bounce is extremely valuable. Has vision. Can shoot off his own dribble or spotting up.

It'll be a couple years until he really puts it together but this is why I've backed him all along, he has the skillset to be a very good player in this league, mainly due to the options he has in his arsenal. When you can handle but aren't a good shooter or are a good shooter without the handle, you're limited. He has both, similar to guys like Manu or Gordon Hayward along with a pretty good basketball IQ and that's rare in this league. Whether he develops as well we'll have to wait and see but that skillset can't be taught at this level, you arrive with it or you don't.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
If your looking at the entire package, and remember that he's a rookie, he's doing fine. If you only look at how many points he's scored, and that's your measuring stick, then you probably think he's not doing well. In fact, he knows how to play the game. Even when he's not hitting his shot, he does a lot of little things that make him valuable on the floor. No doubt he needs to improve in a lot of areas, especially in the strength area, which will happen. He did a question and answer with his followers on twitter on his trip back to Sacramento after the final game of the road trip. One person asked him what he was going to focus on during the offseason. His response was, his body, and his ballhandling.

His ballhandling while good, isn't elite, and if he can bring it up another notch, it'll improve his overall game. Strength is one of his biggest issues. It affects his ability to finish at the basket, and in general, the ability to absorb the day to day beating that an NBA player takes. If you have a weak core, it affects how you shoot the ball at the end of games. Shots you made early in the game, you might leave short later in the game. So far so good, unless you were expecting him to come in and put up big numbers. I'm sure he had high expectations. You don't realize how hard it is until you get there. In college, he was probably the best player in 75% of his matchups. In the NBA, he's facing a player every night that's as good, or better than he is right now. It's a whole different ballgame. It's about adjusting, and getting better.

In reference to that, I just wanted to comment on McLemore. Where some of the players, like Stauskas and D. Will, have seemed to improve under Karl, McLemore seems to be headed in the opposite direction. I think the reason has to do with basketball IQ. And I'm not saying that Ben is stupid. I'm saying that because of his lack of experience due to coming to the game late, unlike Stauskas whose been playing since he was 5 years old, some things don't come instinctively to him. As an example, if you've been driving a car for 10 years and the car starts to slide on a corner, you correct the slide quickly, and you don't even think about how to do it. It's instinctive. But if you've driving for 6 months, your in trouble, because by the time you go through the thought process, its too late.

Ben spent a year under Malone catching up to the speed of the NBA. And when the next season started under Malone, and the type of offense he ran, Ben started to flourish. But now, under Karl, he's in a system that requires quick decisions. Instinctive decisions if you will. He's now like the driver with 6 months under his belt. He has to think about everything before it happens. The opening for the bounce pass that was there for a tenth of a second, isn't there by the time he realizes it. Instead, it's now a turnover. This isn't mean't to condemn him. I think he'll eventually catch up. But he really needs to improve his ballhandling. He'll never be able to create his own shot until he does. It's up to him whether he wants to be nothing more than a spot up shooter or not. He has the physical ability to be a lot more than that.

Hmmm! I was determined to keep this post short. I failed again! They say that brevity is the soul of wit. I guess I'm witless. :eek:

He's not a scorer, Jamal Crawford is a scorer. What he's shown is he's an all around player with the skillset to contribute in a number of ways. His ability to handle and pass off the bounce as well as create off the bounce is extremely valuable. Has vision. Can shoot off his own dribble or spotting up.

It'll be a couple years until he really puts it together but this is why I've backed him all along, he has the skillset to be a very good player in this league, mainly due to the options he has in his arsenal. When you can handle but aren't a good shooter or are a good shooter without the handle, you're limited. He has both, similar to guys like Manu or Gordon Hayward along with a pretty good basketball IQ and that's rare in this league. Whether he develops as well we'll have to wait and see but that skillset can't be taught at this level, you arrive with it or you don't.
Of course right now, Nik isn't Jamal Crawford. Nik has shown that he IS a player who score in a variety of ways. He's not just some spot up guy who can shoot.

I see that we both probably have different definitions of a scorer. I was trying to make the argument that he's not just a 1Dimensional player who can shoot. He's shown us with his skillset that he can be above and beyond.

As he gets more PT, we're finally starting to see the player Nik can mold into. I think he'll become his own type of player as he progresses. Under Malone and Corbin, they played him off the ball a lot in catch and shoot scenarios. We're seeing Nik being incorporated into our offense much more often now.

If your looking at the entire package, and remember that he's a rookie, he's doing fine. If you only look at how many points he's scored, and that's your measuring stick, then you probably think he's not doing well. In fact, he knows how to play the game. Even when he's not hitting his shot, he does a lot of little things that make him valuable on the floor. No doubt he needs to improve in a lot of areas, especially in the strength area, which will happen. He did a question and answer with his followers on twitter on his trip back to Sacramento after the final game of the road trip. One person asked him what he was going to focus on during the offseason. His response was, his body, and his ballhandling.

His ballhandling while good, isn't elite, and if he can bring it up another notch, it'll improve his overall game. Strength is one of his biggest issues. It affects his ability to finish at the basket, and in general, the ability to absorb the day to day beating that an NBA player takes. If you have a weak core, it affects how you shoot the ball at the end of games. Shots you made early in the game, you might leave short later in the game. So far so good, unless you were expecting him to come in and put up big numbers. I'm sure he had high expectations. You don't realize how hard it is until you get there. In college, he was probably the best player in 75% of his matchups. In the NBA, he's facing a player every night that's as good, or better than he is right now. It's a whole different ballgame. It's about adjusting, and getting better.

In reference to that, I just wanted to comment on McLemore. Where some of the players, like Stauskas and D. Will, have seemed to improve under Karl, McLemore seems to be headed in the opposite direction. I think the reason has to do with basketball IQ. And I'm not saying that Ben is stupid. I'm saying that because of his lack of experience due to coming to the game late, unlike Stauskas whose been playing since he was 5 years old, some things don't come instinctively to him. As an example, if you've been driving a car for 10 years and the car starts to slide on a corner, you correct the slide quickly, and you don't even think about how to do it. It's instinctive. But if you've driving for 6 months, your in trouble, because by the time you go through the thought process, its too late.

Ben spent a year under Malone catching up to the speed of the NBA. And when the next season started under Malone, and the type of offense he ran, Ben started to flourish. But now, under Karl, he's in a system that requires quick decisions. Instinctive decisions if you will. He's now like the driver with 6 months under his belt. He has to think about everything before it happens. The opening for the bounce pass that was there for a tenth of a second, isn't there by the time he realizes it. Instead, it's now a turnover. This isn't mean't to condemn him. I think he'll eventually catch up. But he really needs to improve his ballhandling. He'll never be able to create his own shot until he does. It's up to him whether he wants to be nothing more than a spot up shooter or not. He has the physical ability to be a lot more than that.

Hmmm! I was determined to keep this post short. I failed again! They say that brevity is the soul of wit. I guess I'm witless. :eek:
I'd like to add to your D-Will comment. I don't think he's a low IQ type of player. I think the reason why he makes most of his boneheaded plays is because he wants to prove himself. If you've been classified as a bust for 3 years, you want to respond in a certain type of way, and that's the way D-Will responds. I also realize that he loves energizing the crowd. Energy is important to a game. We see the affect it has on a team like Cleveland and the Clippers. Energy sparks runs and gets the crowd loud.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Hollins you say?

Any stat that has Hollins as #1 should be taken with several grains of salt, but overall, Stauskas has looked better lately.

His defense isn't shameful, he's hitting a few more open shots, and hey, he already got the "superstar call" with what no one would call a 3 point attempt.

So yeah, I think he's done better as of late.

Yes a ton of reason for optimism. Stauskas has shown us that he's not a shooter, but a scorer. He can score in so many variety of ways and he's shown us high bball IQ. Defense still needs work, but he's shown us flashes of smarts. I will attempt a breakdown of Nik's progression thus far this season..I have never made any videos..but I will attempt. Nik is looking good. He started off the season like a timid and scared rookie. The more we give him PT and the ball, the more good he'll do.
Do it like draftexpress breakdowns, seems simple and they get to the point well.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I've been saying repeatedly that I'd like to see Nik start in place of Ben for the remainder of the season because there is just too much bad with Ben then there is good, I'd rather let Nik get starters minutes and let him learn along the way.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Do it like draftexpress breakdowns, seems simple and they get to the point well.
If you don't have the ability, or the desire to watch a lot of college basketball, then I recommend draftexpress. I don't agree with everything they say, but they certainly come closer to being accurate than anyone else. I ran into Jonathan Givony, the guru of draftexpress at summer league. We were both staying in the same hotel and were downstairs waiting for our rides to the arena. I was amazed when he told me that he only had a two man scouting staff. Himself and I believe Mike Schmitz. I have no idea how they do all that they do with just two scouts. They have to be watching a lot of film as well. They've gotten it wrong more than once. But then, so have I. Givony and I will never agree on Tyreke Evans, which we discussed at the time. In a civil manner of course.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'd like to add to your D-Will comment. I don't think he's a low IQ type of player. I think the reason why he makes most of his boneheaded plays is because he wants to prove himself. If you've been classified as a bust for 3 years, you want to respond in a certain type of way, and that's the way D-Will responds. I also realize that he loves energizing the crowd. Energy is important to a game. We see the affect it has on a team like Cleveland and the Clippers. Energy sparks runs and gets the crowd loud.
I hope you don't think I was implying that D. Will was a low IQ player. Quite the contrary, I was saying that the reason that both Nik and D. Will have improved under Karl, is because they have better BBIQ than McLemore, who is struggling. I think D. Will is a smart guy, but has had a hard time trying to fit into some of the systems he's had to play. He's the kind of player that needs an eternal green light when on the floor. You can't just stick him in a corner and have him wait to shoot. He's sort of like the Sundance Kid when the miner asked him to prove what a good shot he was, and he couldn't hit anything just standing there. He asked, can I move. And when he was able to move, he hit everything. D. Will is sort of like that. You have to give him carte blanche on the floor, and if you can't live with that, then you need to move him.

K

KingMilz

I said this as soon as we got Karl, Nik will become his Kings version of Evan Founrier (when in Denver), Karl gave him confidence and free reign (e.g. letting him run the point at times) to a lot of things in his time out there. While Nik for the most part this season has been shocking (due to lack of confidence/strength) he's one of the few players on this team that imo has a dribble drive/kick the ball out game and obviously has a good stroke.

Nik has skills and IQ just lacked massive confidence (which surprised me cause he was fairly cocky in college).

Small sample size, I know.

But of the entire roster since Karl took over, the Kings have their best offensive rating, 106.7, when Nik is on the floor. He has a 61.5% TS% in this period, second on the team to Hollins. And in the month of March, he's averaged 8.1 PPG in 19 MPG with a .471/.435/.882 slash line. He looks a lot less intimidated with the ball in his hands, he's playing better defense, and he generally looks more comfortable.

Is there reason for optimism?
Evan Founrier in 2013-2014 in 19.8 mins per game
8.4ppg with much worse efficiency (larger sample size as well)

gunks

Hall of Famer
I'm rooting for Nik.

He wasn't my guy going into the draft (that would be Payton), but I'm still intrigued by his high BBIQ and skill set.

He could be a nice SG for us down the line. Lower ceiling than Ben, but higher chance that he reaches it.

IMO, part of the reason why Nik is doing better lately is because most of the games have been fairly exhibition-like (not competitive, playoff-impacting games) and so the defenses have been slacking off of the intense pressure they used to put on him, so he;s not committing those turnovers and has that breathing space to make plays in.

I'm not going to conclude anything about Nik when these games are mostly for show nowadays - just like McCallum looked like he was a real starter near the end of last year when IT was out.

What we're seeing from here on out till the end of the season, is (unfortunately) an illusion, people.
Do NOT bank on any results or conclusions you see - especially when it comes to Derrick Williams.

K

KingMilz

IMO, part of the reason why Nik is doing better lately is because most of the games have been fairly exhibition-like (not competitive, playoff-impacting games) and so the defenses have been slacking off of the intense pressure they used to put on him, so he;s not committing those turnovers and has that breathing space to make plays in.

I'm not going to conclude anything about Nik when these games are mostly for show nowadays - just like McCallum looked like he was a real starter near the end of last year when IT was out.

What we're seeing from here on out till the end of the season, is (unfortunately) an illusion, people.
Do NOT bank on any results or conclusions you see - especially when it comes to Derrick Williams.
No.....every-time he brings the ball down he get's the living crap pressured out of him.....the reason he's playing better is in his head he's more confident. How can the games be not competitive when you got teams fighting for playoff spots (Charlotte) and teams fighting for a better seeding (Washington, Spurs, Portland).

He's now also playing in a 2nd unit which possess two pass first players in Casspi/Miller and has been getting good screens set for him by Reggie Evans all of which would help him.

Last edited by a moderator:
No.....every-time he brings the ball down he get's the living poopoo pressured out of him.....the reason he's playing better is in his head he's more confident. How can the games be not competitive when you got teams fighting for playoff spots (Charlotte) and teams fighting for a better seeding (Washington, Spurs, Portland).

He's now also playing in a 2nd unit which possess two pass first players in Casspi/Miller and has been getting good screens set for him by Reggie Evans all of which would help him.
Opposing players pressure the living poop out of Stauskas when he has the ball. I don't know if it's a rookie thing, or they think his handles are weak.