sports illustrated article

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

ONEZERO

Did any of you guys ever read a small article in the sports illustrated back in 2002 when ralph nader was talking about game 6 of the 2002 west finals when the lakers shot 27 or 28 free throws in the 4th quarter to the kings 9. He was saying that he wasn't a kings fan nor a laker fan, but became disgusted at the NBA and claimed he would never watch an NBA game again. He felt the kings got robbed in that game. Do any of u guys feal that certain games are rigged? I don't think games are rigged, but I feal that refs put teams in a position to win. I also feal that the NBA didn't want the finals to be played in sacto cause there is no way it offers as much media money as LA.

This has been talked about for years and is talked about still today. The NBA would rather have a Finals in LA than Sac for the money but that doesnt mean they rigged a game. I dont believe the NBA rigs games.

I'm over it now, and don't put much stock in the conspiracy stuff any more.. but that game was completely befuddling. Really tarnished an otherwise very exciting series.

It happens. For whatever reason you wanna put it on, the NBA (read: David Stern) is ok with the refs doing this type of stuff. It goes down at least once a year, but it's usually not as high-profile as what happened in 2002.

Just look at last night's game in Detroit. After Billups got knocked down and cut his lip without a foul call, they spent the whole next day complaining about it. So Damn Jones get's hit with two nit-picky calls guarding Billups in the 1st quarter and has to go to the bench, then they hit Shaq and Zo with a bunch of phantom calls and Detroit rolls. It might even happen in Miami, you could see the Wallace's or Prince get tagged with a bunch of touch fouls as part of "home court advantage" or a way to "make up" for the last game. It does suck to see parts of the games get taken over by officials, but you just hope it doesn't happen and hope it's not in the 4th quarter when the players are trying to decide the game.

Sure the NBA would like to have the biggest market teams in the NBA, but so would the other professional sports leagues like to have their bigger market teams go deeper in the playoffs. However, that doesn't mean that the NBA fixes games. If they did and they were somehow caught, which I'm sure someone would leak some information then they would be criminally charged with a whole host of things namely conspiring to fix the outcome of a game, which is a felony.

Does anyone

Hey, this is a longshot, but does anyone have a tape of Game 6 that they can transfer onto a computer?

I want to make a website depicting each foul in the fourth quarter and showing a video clip of the foul. I've wanted to do this for... oh, three years now, and put it up so people don't forget it.

I don't know what you mean by the term "conspiracy". But I have absolutely, unequivocally no doubt in my mind that the refs wanted to make up for their Game 5 mishap, in which the ball was awarded to the Kings instead of the Lakers after Webber tipped it out, which set up for Bibby's game-winning shot.

I just want the evidence to prove it for everyone to see.

Last edited:
O

ONEZERO

kingkung said:
Hey, this is a longshot, but does anyone have a tape of Game 6 that they can transfer onto a computer?

I want to make a website depicting each foul in the fourth quarter and showing a video clip of the foul. I've wanted to do this for... oh, three years now, and put it up so people don't forget it.

I don't know what you mean by the term "conspiracy". But I have no doubt in my mind that the refs wanted to make up for their Game 5 mishap, in which the ball was awarded to the Kings instead of the Lakers after Webber tipped it out, which set up for Bibby's game-winning shot.

I just want the evidence to prove it for everyone to see.
That's what I've been wanting to do for years too. Every time I argue with a laker fan down here in LA, I always tell them to bring out a tape of game 6.

ONEZERO said:
That's what I've been wanting to do for years too. Every time I argue with a laker fan down here in LA, I always tell them to bring out a tape of game 6.
Yes, it was surreal. And people say we should just come to grips with it and just let it go.

But really, what is it that we should come to grips with? The fact that we were undeniably screwed out of a series-winning game, with no acknowledgement or apology from the NBA? That's an absolutely idiotic thing to merely "accept". Do you take all of your beatings lying down?

G

godsthename

It was a fix

Reasons why
1. la would make more money
2. A three peat is better back to back
3. A game 6 and 7 makes more money for tnt and also the nba
4. Bigger name players beating chris webber and the kings
5. would be phils 9th ring another sub story good for nba.
6. what are the playoffs without the lakers.

Things i couldnt stand
shaq would just hammer scott pollard with his elbows and shoulders to wear the announcers were almost in shock and the next time down the court webber or another king would get held or pushed with a no call. people say the kings should of made their freethrows blah blah blah. but thats got nothing to do with it.

Its bull the way the nba was i think after nader came out in public saying that i havent seen anything close to it. its out in the open now and people will be watching for it so therefore it wont happen again.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
OMG - You people need to let it go. It is SO OVER.

The NBA is not going to apologize because it's moot. We had the chance to win it all in game 7 and, quite frankly, we choked. We forgot how to shoot free throws.

It is, IMHO, belittling for Kings fans to keep whining over this. The milk was spilt a long time ago. It's not only dried up, the floor has been replaced.

Let it go.

And for the record? It is illegal to reproduce, rebroadcast, redistribute, etc. tapes of NBA games without the express written permission of the NBA. They hold all the rights to those games and you don't want to mess with them.

If you're still focused on something that happened in 2002, you need to move on. Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.