Sources: Around the NBA, ex-Kings coach Malone remains hot commodity-Sporting News

Don’t cry too many tears for ousted Kings coach Mike Malone, who was fired by Sacramento a month ago.

“The Kings probably did him a favor,” one general manager told Sporting News. “They let him go with his reputation intact. He was doing a good job there, and his resume is going to show it. If he stayed on in a situation where he had problems with the owner or whoever, things might have gone South on him, but this way, he is going to be a pretty good commodity.”
http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/sto...valiers?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Glenn

Hall of Famer
The irony is that the Kings probably sped up Malone's career in the NBA. He could have been relatively unknown by coaching the Kings all year. By being fired, a light was cast on him and he came out looking good. If he was fired in part because he wanted no part in NBA3.0, I can understand that. It's a sidetrack from trying to win games. This may be an exaggeration but I wonder if Vivek's primary concern is the w/l record of the Kings. He seems more concerned with doing something novel as if having a winning Kings team wouldn't be novel enough.

This team is losing me.

The irony is that the Kings probably sped up Malone's career in the NBA. He could have been relatively unknown by coaching the Kings all year. By being fired, a light was cast on him and he came out looking good. If he was fired in part because he wanted no part in NBA3.0, I can understand that. It's a sidetrack from trying to win games. This may be an exaggeration but I wonder if Vivek's primary concern is the w/l record of the Kings. He seems more concerned with doing something novel as if having a winning Kings team wouldn't be novel enough.

This team is losing me.
He's been in high demand for a couple years now, the way he turned us around just adds to it.

**** Vivek/PDA/Mullin

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
It's ok guys, the FO is raising ticket prices to help cover paying both Malone and either Corbin or the next coach at the same time. Malone only signed a 3 yr deal which he's about halfway through.

No worries here.

Remember, they know what they're doing.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
It's ok guys, the FO is raising ticket prices to help cover paying both Malone and either Corbin or the next coach at the same time. Malone only signed a 3 yr deal which he's about halfway through.

No worries here.

Remember, they know what they're doing.
Oh, my. :eek:

Interesting. I've said the same thing on this forum (Malone's stock was helped by this current mess) a couple of times and was told I was wrong because that's not how it works. Maybe it is?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I look forward to watching him be a head coach again...then we can resurrect the Michael Malone threads and see if we messed up as much as we think they did.

I look forward to watching him be a head coach again...then we can resurrect the Michael Malone threads and see if we messed up as much as we think they did.
It would just kill me to see him winning playoff games with Cleveland this season.

Not sure what the odds are on that, but I think it's more than zero.

Let's put it this way, Malone has a better shot at the playoffs this year than the current members of the kings.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
It would just kill me to see him winning playoff games with Cleveland this season.

Let's put it this way, Malone has a better shot at the playoffs this year than the current members of the kings.
I don't see Cleveland in his future. Maybe Orlando?

dude12

Hall of Famer

I'd like for him to go to a team like Cleveland and then excel with the team. I want this so that maybe Vivek comes to his senses and fires PDA. Malone had a great bond with his players here and in all his other assistant jobs. If Cleveland's looking to shake it up, they should consider Malone.

I'd like for him to go to a team like Cleveland and then excel with the team. I want this so that maybe Vivek comes to his senses and fires PDA. Malone had a great bond with his players here and in all his other assistant jobs. If Cleveland's looking to shake it up, they should consider Malone.
The Cavs look like a team that is capable on winning now, so they best go with George Karl. Michael Malone is young and inexperienced and would not lead that team to a championship in the next few years. When he does get better (assuming that he coaches the Cavs), all the good players will be old. You saw how he coached the Kings this year; he's not a perfect coach. In time, though, I have faith that he will become a great coach. For his career, it's best that he goes to a developing team and hopefully that team will have the smarts to keep him for a long time.

K

KingMilz

If Denver fires Shaw I reckon he would be great with Denver. They have something like a younger Marc Gasol in Nurkic and they have much more athletic ability and talented players in general to be a much better defensive version of the 5-1/9-6 Kings.

Give Malone wings defenders like Ill Will/Affallo/Gee/Gallo (when healthy) and that's a great fit for all parties involved.