Sonics expect kings to be angry

Teach a lesson, or try to win a playoff game?

Sacramento coach Rick Adelman faced a difficult choice in the waning minutes of Tuesday night's Game 2 against the Sonics, and the first-round series may have been decided by his decision.

Disgusted by the performance of his starters, who combined for just 46 points and put just one player in double figures, Adelman banished them to the bench at the start of the fourth quarter.

But then a curious thing happened. In less than 10 minutes, a Sacramento reserve corps of Bobby Jackson, Maurice Evans, Darius Songaila, Eddie House and Brian Skinner reduced a 26-point Sonics lead (88-62) to eight (100-92) with 2:32 remaining.

Suddenly the Sonics were reeling and Sacramento was surging. Seattle coach Nate McMillan called two timeouts and rotated eight players to stem the tide, but nothing worked. With 1:49 remaining, a television timeout sent both teams to their bench.

Adelman's choice had grown increasingly more complicated: Teach a lesson, or win the game?

In hindsight, it wasn't much of a choice at all, he said. Not once in the fourth quarter did he glance in the direction of his starters, who sat nonchalantly as the game grew tight.

All the while, Mike Bibby chewed at his fingernails. Peja Stojakovic stared blankly into the stands. And Brad Miller simply appeared disinterested.

The Sonics hung on for a 105-93 victory and a 2-0 series lead while the Kings left the game apparently disgruntled at their coach and searching for answers.

When asked about the near fourth-quarter comeback, Bibby directed all questions to Adelman who said: "They (the starters) weren't going back in. I mean, why should I [put them back in]?"

Adelman's decisions will either light a fire beneath Sacramento for Game 3 tomorrow night at Arco Arena or signal the beginning of the end to this series.

"The starters are not getting the job done," Magic Johnson said on TNT's postgame studio show. "Before, they were the leading scoring team in the whole NBA; now they're searching. Bibby is way off his game, and when Bibby is off, everybody else is off.

"Unless Bibby catches fire, this could be a 4-0, 4-1 series really quick. To me, they don't have the firepower they used to have."

At yesterday's practice, the Sonics weren't second-guessing Adelman's decision, but they weren't clear what type of message he was trying to send.

"I thought that he may come back with (the starters), but those guys (the reserves) worked hard," McMillan said. "Coach could have been doing a number of things in that situation. I don't want to guess what Rick was trying to do."

Said Danny Fortson: "They looked like they gave up, you know, but I don't want to say anything that will have them take my comments and post it up in their locker room. But body language is big, you know.

"They didn't look like they wanted to be there, like they were a little frustrated. But again, that was last night. Friday night could be different. I'm not going to underestimate Sacramento. They're going to put together a nice game down there; I'm sure of it."

Playoff series are decided not only by injuries and All-Star players, but coaches' moves that might otherwise go unnoticed.

Sacramento's starters were not only embarrassed after being benched, but their tight-knit cohesiveness is in danger of fraying.

Ray Allen doesn't believe the Sonics hold a huge psychological advantage, but he agreed with an analogy that compared the Kings' frustration to a pink elephant standing on the court.

"You don't want to acknowledge it," he said. "We all know it's there. We know what's happening, but you got to let things ride out its course.

"I've got a lot of friends on that team, but I won't speak to them until this series is over. Whatever is going on with them, that's their concern. My concern is with this team, so whether they're out of sync or not, I don't know."

Whatever, Adelman's attempt at teaching a lesson may have spun out of control. The starters' confidence could be shaken and some reserves might now feel they should play a larger role in the series.

"I'm sure they probably earned some minutes in the next game," McMillan said. "I think we'll probably see House more."

After scoring 17 points, Jackson warrants more playing time as does Songaila, who finished with nine points — seven in the fourth quarter — in 23 minutes.

Sonics reserve Antonio Daniels expects a better Kings effort than what they've shown in Games 1 and 2. As for Sacramento's problems, Daniels is unsympathetic.

"I don't care," he said. "We can't worry about that. Not at all. ... All we need to do is keep on doing what we've been doing. Don't say or do anything that could sway the whole series.

"Right now our only focus is Game 3. Games 1 and 2 need to be behind us. We need not worry about them anymore."

well....I guess this explains why adelman didn't put the starters back in. I hope they really weren't as disinterested as this article made them out to be.

I hope the kings are angry. i am angry at the effort they put out there. there is no excuse and this is the playoffs. at times like this you need a vocal leader (chris webber type) to get the guys all on the same page. what a poor outing that last game was. just pathetic. not what i have come to expect from this team. still i hope they go against the odds and win this thing. that would be sweet!!

I am from college station .

atxrocker said:
I hope the kings are angry. i am angry at the effort they put out there. there is no excuse and this is the playoffs. at times like this you need a vocal leader (chris webber type) to get the guys all on the same page. what a poor outing that last game was. just pathetic. not what i have come to expect from this team. still i hope they go against the odds and win this thing. that would be sweet!!

Someone needs to stop jerome "bill russell " james. He is the only reason why we lost both games , if we can "contain" him we should both games at arco . We don't have to deal with shaq , but we have jerome james . We need the fans to rock the "madhouse" friday night in front of a national audience. Bring back the "arco thunder " !

I would have done the same thing if I was Adelman. Hopefully the starters will want to prove them selves tomorrow and they will be angry. Not just teh starters but the whole team should have a chip on thier shoulders.

I have a lot more respect for the Seattle Supersonics now. Those player-interviews were interesting. Even Danny Fortson seems to have his head on straight. The Lakers never had such introspective and thoughtful comments after a win over Sacramento.

Nate McMillan must run his outfit a lot like Adelman. He has apparently been a good teacher, coach, and behaviorial guide.

I don't recall Adelman ever benching anyone before, no matter how much they didn't get back on D, didn't box their man out, etc, etc....it'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

BTW, watching the starters during the 4th quarter timeouts on Tuesday - when Rick was talking to the guys who were in the game, most of the starters were not listening, or not even close to the huddle - I always hate to see that.

Actually i know a lot of kings fans in texas , when i go to kings vs rox games . I see a lot people with bibby and peja jerseys representing the kings nation.I tried to persuade my gf to like the kings ,but she is from houston so she is having the time of her life this year with the rox possibly going to WCF this year.

atxrocker said:
hhmmmm...so turns out i am NOT the only kings fan in texas. we are few are far between here.

GO KINGS!!

Last edited:
Dont know if anybody watched the game last night, but the Spurs spanked Denver. The Spurs were angry and wanted revenge over their first game loss. Thats how the Kings have to be in order to stand a chance.

That's kind of disappointing, that the starters just sat there not really interested. It's also disrespectful towards those bench guys who were out there getting stops and turning them into points.

How many times have we seen a lineup of mostly starters make a big push (which may or may not have won the game) and seen the bench guys cheering them on and jumping around and when the other team has to call a timeout, Eddie House runs onto the court and gives a flying chest bump to one of the guys or is there to congratulate. To me, that's a sign of surrender. You play like you don't really care and then sit on the bench the whole 4th quarter like you don't care. How are you going to help us win a playoff series?

Kev.in said:
That's kind of disappointing, that the starters just sat there not really interested. It's also disrespectful towards those bench guys who were out there getting stops and turning them into points.

How many times have we seen a lineup of mostly starters make a big push (which may or may not have won the game) and seen the bench guys cheering them on and jumping around and when the other team has to call a timeout, Eddie House runs onto the court and gives a flying chest bump to one of the guys or is there to congratulate. To me, that's a sign of surrender. You play like you don't really care and then sit on the bench the whole 4th quarter like you don't care. How are you going to help us win a playoff series?
watching the game and seeing this i thought the same exact thing.there are 12 players on the team,and 7 of em need to be rootin on the other 5.put your hurt pride aside ,this is the play-offs ,do whatever you gotta do to help your TEAM win!