Series notes: Mount Laimbeer is ready to erupt over officiating

News

Hot off the presses...
The Detroit coach says his team is the victim of a "double standard."

By Joe Davidson -- Bee Staff Writer

Published 12:01 am PDT Monday, September 4, 2006

The Bee's Joe Davidson can be reached at (916) 321-1280 or jdavidson@sacbee.com.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/monarchs/story/14317351p-15234938c.html

Bill Laimbeer was known for several things during an otherwise decorated NBA career with the Detroit Pistons.

Being a deadly top-of-the-key shooter. Nasty train-wreck picks and screens. Scowls. A winner and a whiner.

Now coaching the Detroit Shock, Laimbeer still agonizes -- with that pained expression -- over every call that doesn't go his way, and he has let the referees have it regularly in every game of the WNBA Finals. After the Monarchs routed the Shock for the second time in three games, 89-69 Sunday afternoon, he vented some more.
"Our frustration is starting to build," Laimbeer said. "We're tired of being a double standard on the whistle. We're tired of it, and it's showing. We expect -- no, we demand -- that we get the same calls as the other team. Did the referees lose the game for us? Absolutely not. We lost ourselves, and we lost our brains at times."

One play that frosted Laimbeer was when the Monarchs' Erin Buescher flattened Kara Braxton with a high screen in the third quarter. Braxton didn't return as she had ice applied to her head.

Comic relief

Buescher is the WNBA's Most Improved Player this season -- and she very well might be the WNBA's funniest player, too.

In explaining her circus, one-handed heave of a three-pointer late in the third quarter -- a shot you wouldn't dare attempt even in a game of H-O-R-S-E -- Buescher said: "Yeah, I've been practicing that a lot. No, I just turned around and did some ice-skating moves. Throw them up, and they go in."

Buescher also fielded a question in the media room in Spanish -- and cleanly answered it in Spanish, much to the amusement of a language-challenged Yolanda Griffith.

"I know Greek, too," Buescher said. "Any Greek reporters here?"

And on her screen on Braxton: "People underestimate my strength. She didn't see me, and we clocked heads. I felt it a little bit, like I was on a boat for a little while."

Degrees of leadership

Monarchs/Kings co-owner Gavin Maloof has been around some athletes in his time, but Griffith stands alone in his book of leadership.

"She's the greatest leader I've ever seen, the best I've ever seen in any sport," he said.

Why is that, exactly?

"She's always right," Maloof said. "The way she handles the team, her on-court prodding of players. She plays hurt. I just love that woman."

Leslie's MVP trifect

Lisa Leslie normally doesn't smile this much at Arco Arena, but this was different.

One of the league's cornerstones and goodwill ambassadors, the Los Angeles Sparks' center was awarded her third WNBA MVP trophy before Sunday's tipoff. Leslie said it was her best season, and she showed some personality and candor, highlighted by a mini- complaint.

"I'm a little disappointed, though. We don't have any keys," she said, grinning despite lamenting the loss of General Motors as a league sponsor. "I worked hard for that car."

Leslie, 34, said she has no timetable on retirement, saying, "I enjoy playing basketball. I enjoy blocking people's shots."

Buster boy

Joe Maloof tried to smuggle his beloved dog Buster into Game 1 in Detroit -- when the little friend started to bark, security came for a visit -- and brother Gavin was wondering Sunday if Buster could be of some help now.

"We should have brought Buster with us today," Gavin said. "He's our good-luck charm. We could have had him bite Bill Laimbeer in the shins at the very least."

Et cetera

Kings coach Eric Musselman and players Kevin Martin and Shareef Abdur-Rahim attended the game.

• Laimbeer was wired for TV in Game 3 and offered enough opinions to the referees that a custodian in the back tunnel of Arco listening on the ESPN2 feed finally blurted, "Shuddap, already, Bill! My gawd!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, so Lisa got her award before tip off. I didn't see it and wondered if they had decided to keep it private (tv only). Donna Orender said she was there to accept but I watched for the presentation and missed it. They were worried about Sacramento's reception of her award.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Laimbeer...what a joke. There were so many fouls committed by the Shock that were not called that it was pathetic. Katie Smith coldcocked (yep she actually hit her with a doubled up fist) Sholanda. Then Sho-time got called for the foul. How sad is that? After a rebound under the M's basket, Braxton literally shoved DeMya in the stomach with both fists and then took off running for the Shock end of the court. DeMya was pushed a little off balance and never did catch up with Braxton who then layed it in at the other end. I could go on and on about plays such as these (there were many more) that the Shock got away with...no whistle.

So, my only other comment is: Bill, shut the hell up. You are used to your team bullying other teams. Well, our girls may not play as dirty as yours, but they will play rough if that is the way you want to play. You set the tone of these games. Now live with it.

Yeah...he didn't get the calls yesterday...that's why we had more PFs and they shot more FTs. :rolleyes:

Watching the replay on NBATV right now...the commentary is pretty entertaining. The game isn't bad either. Monarchs really do have a lotta stuff to clean up between now and Weds...if they do that they will have control of the game. Gawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwd, Bill just threw Ruth under the bus..LOL.

OMG.....the time out when he rips his team a new one? yeaaaah...THAT was entertaining. It looked entertaining from my seat, but it's better with the mic on LOL.

Detroit Shock: By the Numbers

Cheryl Ford on the overwhelming Shock turnovers....
Q: OK … how about the Monarchs' defense? Was that the reason for the turnovers?

Ford: "It's not nothing they did, we did it to ourselves," Ford said.

THE NUMBERS vs Monarchs
14 TURNOVERS in 91-71 win (REGULAR SEASON)
21 TURNOVERS in 94-61 loss (REGULAR SEASON)
24 TURNOVERS in 95-71 loss (GAME 1 WNBA FINALS)
21 TURNOVERS in 73-63 win (GAME 2 WNBA FINALS)
23 TURNOVERS in 89-69 loss (GAME 3 WNBA FINALS)

20 plus turns per game average versus Monarchs this season
11 turnovers per game in the playoffs versus Indiana and Conneticut

TRANSLATION
THE NUMBERS TELL THE STORY. THE MONARCHS DEFENSE IS KICKING YOUR BEHIND

Laimbeer on the difference of fouls......

BL: "Our frustration is starting to build," Laimbeer said. "We're tired of being a double standard on the whistle. We're tired of it, and it's showing. We expect -- no, we demand -- that we get the same calls as the other team. Did the referees lose the game for us? Absolutely not. We lost ourselves, and we lost our brains at times."

THE NUMBERS
GAME 1: Shock 19 fouls/23 Free Throws
Monarchs 23 fouls/18 Free Throws

GAME 2: Shock 23 fouls/16 Free Throws
Monarchs 19 fouls/24 Free Throws

GAME 3: Shock 28 fouls/32 Free Throws
Monarchs 23 fouls/28 Free Throws

TOTALS: Shock 70 fouls/71 Free Throws
Monarchs 65 fouls/70 Free Throws

TRANSLATION
Fouls and referee whistles look pretty even to me. THERE IS NO DOUBLE STANDARD!!!!!

LAIMBEER, SLOW YOUR ROLL and SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!! I AM SICK OF HEARING YOU AND YOUR WHINING BABY PLAYERS COMPLAIN ABOUT OFFICIATING AND UNFORCED ERRORS.

YOU ARE GETTING YOUR BEHIND WHIPPED!!!!

Personally, I'm in awe of how little calls Detroit gets for how physical they are. They get the benefit of Laimbeer's reputation. He has to realize though that if it is not star or reputation calls, the team who is more aggressive will get the benefit of the doubt, which our team has done for every quarter this series except for the last one in game 2. It's just the way it is.

If he wants calls, his players have to play harder.

Nice analysis, Purple Reign.

Although I missed Game 1, having seen games 2 and 3, IMHO the refereeing is right down the middle. For every beat on a Monarch's brain we see by a Shock with no call, there is another one that we inflicted on them that did not get whistled.

Watching up close yesterday, I saw untold numbers of no-calls when players were being spun around, held, having their backs climbed, and plain out-and-out whacked on some appendage. And it was both teams as instigators.

And Purple Reign's numbers show that when the whistles do finally blow, it's pretty darned even, as you would expect from two hard-nosed teams.

Much ado about nothing. Sorry Bill.

Bill's just upset. The Detroit Shock are a good team, and, much like the media gurus, I think they really thought they were superior to the M's. They have now run into a BuzzSaw and have no idea quite what happened or what to do about it.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
What slays me is how Detroit continues to disregard the impact of Sacramento's bench:

"I don't know if their depth means anything," Detroit's Cheryl Ford said. "We've played with seven players all year. We're professionals, we're paid to play."
Laimbeer said something similar in the post-game. I don't understand how they don't seem to get that one of the principal by-products of Sacramento's depth is that our players don't get tired nearly as often, and that enables the team to sustain their defense for forty minutes?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
On the other hand, maybe Cheryl Ford just doesn't get much of anything:

NOT A SHOCKER: Although the Shock deny playing at Arco Arena has any effect on the outcome, it's evident something is amiss with Detroit in a building known for its great support and boisterous crowd.

In its lone Sacramento appearance last season, Detroit was embarrassed 91-51 -- the worst loss in franchise history. That blowout nearly was repeated one year later when the Monarchs trounced Detroit 94-61 on July 30.

"Arco is just a tough place to play, ask any player who comes here," Sacramento's Kara Lawson said. "It's the toughest place to play in the league. It's not just lip service (by us) that we love playing at home. Our fans really give us a lift."

Yet Detroit's Cheryl Ford doesn't buy into the whole Arco mystique, which has worked for years for the NBA's Sacramento Kings. Both clubs have enjoyed amazing success at home in front of their California fans in an arena that gets an extra volume boost from the reverberating wooden floors in the stands.

"It's just a basketball gym, two hoops and a court," Ford said. "We don't think about it. We've just got to come in here Wednesday and get it done in Game 4."
Source: Yahoo! Sports

Bill, Bill, Bill.....you're a dumb sheet. Everyone knows the only consistent thing about the officiating, is that it's equally bad across the league. How many times have we seen Katie Smith lower the shoulder like a halfback and mow people over, and NOT get the call? Puh-leeze......We know DeMya is the Queen Flopper, but she doesn't always get the calls, the refs are on to her......:rolleyes:

Your team got more freethrows....that means you got the calls while driving to the basket and/or we were in the penalty. When our girls went to the hoop we didn't get the same driving calls...c'mon....you know better.

And you were 0-fer on the 3pt shots....is that the refs fault?

C'mon, Bill, don't be blaming the refs for your teams woes. They obviously are not responding to your unique/thug-like coaching methods or motivational finger-pointing.

I'm not sure what else she could say there after the bench came in and dropped them pretty good. I guess it was a couple of seasons ago when the B unit came in and outscored the entire Shock team all by their lonesome @ the Palace.

The comments about ARCO just being another place to play? ::shrugging shoulders:: I guess....:rolleyes: Swin seemed to have a different perspective postgame when Krista interviewed her for NBATV. Anywhoo...I'm interested to see if ARCO is just another gym on Weds the the fans will be even more worked up than they were Sunday. All the Monarchs need to do is get the fans going early and then let us go from there. That place could get absolutely insane. I'm looking forward to laying it all out, hoping the M's are ready too.

Time to Close Out Ladies...Remember who you are, the reinging WNBA champions.

Monarchs Playoffs 2006..."WE RUN THIS!!!"

Shock don't want it 'cause Monarchs Run It!

Representcha coast and act like ya know how to act before ya step your two feet on the floor...

How bad do you want it Monarchs?

How bad do we want it Monarchs Fans?

::chew::

Halfway through 4th period in Sunday's (Game #3) game, while Laimbeer was standing on the floor either during a foul call, a bunch of fans were yelling in unison, "Sit down, Bill!", "Sit down, Bill!", "Sit down, Bill!", "Sit down, Bill!".

Gotta love it! :D

News

Hot off the presses...
Monarchs notes: Laimbeer accepts fine for officiating comments

Unhappy with officiating, Detroit Shock coach Bill Laimbeer said Tuesday that it was worth a league-sanctioned fine to stand up for his team.More...

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
:Chew: was explained in another thread last week.
OK, I scanned through 8 pages of thread titles trying to find something addressing it. Didn't notice any. Given the number of threads/posts in the last week or two....

Care to be helpful and spell it out for those of us who might have missed it?

Laimbeer Needs to Shut the Hell Up (excuse me)

Laimbeer not too happy with ESPN

BY CHRIS SILVA
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER[/FONT]
September 6, 2006

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- The attitude has resurfaced and is "growing," as Shock coach Bill Laimbeer said.

And that's just what he wants from his team.
The Shock is on the brink of elimination in the WNBA Finals, one loss away from cleaning out its lockers.

Detroit has studied enough film to have a firm grasp of what needs to change strategically for tonight's Game 4 at ARCO Arena.

The guards will have to carry the load, but that doesn't necessarily mean the Shock will abandon the post.
But more than anything else, it's about attitude.
"You can see it starting to build," Laimbeer said Tuesday. "You can see the 'us vs. the world' mentality starting to creep in. We're tired of the criticism of the peripheral people."
The "us vs. the world" shtick has been the Shock's battle cry this season.

And during Tuesday's final tune-up before tip-off, it was classic Laimbeer. His attitude was there, front and center. Laimbeer called out those "peripheral people" by name -- ESPN and its cronies.

"I just hear from our family and friends back home that, 'Boy, ESPN is killing you guys,' " Laimbeer said. " 'And (Nancy) Lieberman and Doris Burke are just trashing you left and right.' Not only me, but also some of our players on our ballclub."

So Laimbeer is taking a stand tonight. He has refused to wear a live microphone during the telecast because he said the national sports network had used snippets of what he had said on the bench to "create controversy or slam people."
"They're using their own tool to create their own story," Laimbeer said. "That shouldn't happen."

Laimbeer also said he wouldn't let ESPN have cameras in the locker room for pregame routines and speeches. No ESPN, no distractions.
"We're telling ESPN today to basically stick it," Laimbeer said.
He was so adamant about it that after the media left the arena so that the Shock could practice, Laimbeer scanned the venue from top to bottom and told Detroit's media relations to get rid of the "spies" who were scattered throughout the place.
At one point during practice, forward Kara Braxton even told some ESPN people seated courtside that her coach wanted them to leave.

The previous day, Laimbeer used his Bad Boys experience to motivate the Shock. Laimbeer said he told his team how the Pistons won the 1990 NBA title. Laimbeer said Detroit was "cheated" down the stretch against the Portland Trail Blazers in Game 2 of the NBA Finals. The series then shifted to Portland, where the Pistons hadn't won in 16 seasons. The Pistons, of course, went on to win all three games in Portland to take the title.

The Shock, on a similar note, is trying to become the first team to win a playoff game at ARCO Arena in 11 tries.

It seemed that his stories and tactics have rubbed off on the Shock.
"The mind-set is we're not losing," forward Swin Cash said. "I think we have that attitude."

Guard Katie Smith said: "I think it's individually as competitors we want to get back on that floor and have a chance to redeem ourselves. I think it's more of let's go out here and show what we're capable of doing."

PLEASE MONARCHS, PLEASE, PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE. End this thing tonight!!!

Shoot this dog and put it out of it's misery. :mad: I never thought that I would dispise a person or a team more than the Los Angeles Sparks. But Laimbeer is making it easy to dislike the Detroit Shock.

I can not wait to see him on the podium tonight speechless and bewildered.

Somebody has to explain to me the :chew: thing as well. i was just too embarrassed to ask. :eek:

You know, I can never understand why a guy like Laimbeer is even coaching women's bball to begin with. It just seems so unlike the place for an attitude like his. He makes the LA Sparks blush! This guy almost sounds like he is mentally ill, with all his 'spy' allegations. If we do win tonight, he'll get even worse. Wait, that could make for some very interesting train-wreck entertainment. :D

Perhaps one of us fans should hold up a sign reading, "I'm an ESPN spy" or something like that.

I find it hysterical that he's mad at ESPN. Any sports fan on the west coast knows ESPN pretty much as an eastern bias. His problem is he's just giving ESPN so much to talk about.

All I know is I hope we are NOT going back to Detroit. I can't take much more of BL. :rolleyes: He was a notorious whiner as a player. Yech.

I don't understand if he knew that his microphone was on.......why start cursing in the first place! At least Joe Bryant turned his off before. He's criticizing ESPN2's coverage for what they said about his players...yet at the same time he's screaming "Who the (bleep) do you think you guys are?" or to the referee "You come back at halftime to apologize"

It's ridiculous yet hilarious at the same time. Don't worry....after tonight it'll be all over for you Bill