Selling the call: What the Kings could learn from SA/Bos/OKC

Now for something totally different!

The FThunder marched to the beat of their offensive philosophy the other night, and SA did quite well working the calls the other night as well. Guys like Tyreke take just as much if not more contact than any Manu or Durant, but get to the line at a low rate considering how often the Kings go inside either via drive or post up(hey Boogie).

What the Kings don't do that the vet teams do is sell the call. Am I advocating flopping? A little bit. This includes the fake "OH" and the Kobe yell whenever a defender gets near him. It's just a part of the game and would add some points to the Kings ppg output. Right now the two biggest shot takers on the team do not sell the call all that well and I think that least Reke should start petitioning for some FT line trips. His quiet demeanor is working against the team here. Start flailing those arms young pup.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
It's part of paying your dues, I guess. Rarely do kids coming in get the benefit of the call.

Flopping and selling calls is more of something a player earns the right to do. I don't think Tyreke or other members of the Kings have the respect from the refs that it takes to get the close ones. It just comes off as whining.

Well highlight reels have gotten Griffin the calls and allows him to get away with a lot of pushing on rebounds. So it's not impossible for young guys to get calls.

And the Thunder are young as well.

Last edited:
yeah it's one of those things where you really hate to have a player do. We all hate Kobe for his constant whining, Manu for flopping, but the fact is that that whining and flopping helps them to win games. So if other teams are doing it and we aren't then we're at a disadvantage

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
yeah it's one of those things where you really hate to have a player do. We all hate Kobe for his constant whining, Manu for flopping, but the fact is that that whining and flopping helps them to win games. So if other teams are doing it and we aren't then we're at a disadvantage
I'll take my guys playing it straight thx. Nor is it at all impossible for a team to be good while playing it straight, or mostly straight. Calling out for a call...eh, that is incredibly annoying, but at least its not cheating. Its just being a little ***** like Kobe. Flopping however? That's just cheating, and entirely unnecessary at any high volume. For every high level guy who flopped/flops you can name two others jsut as good or better who did not. Jordan and Shaq always got the calls, but how often did they actually flop to do it?

I'll take my guys playing it straight thx. Nor is it at all impossible for a team to be good while playing it straight, or mostly straight. Calling out for a call...eh, that is incredibly annoying, but at least its not cheating. Its just being a little ***** like Kobe. Flopping however? That's just cheating, and entirely unnecessary at any high volume. For every high level guy who flopped/flops you can name two others jsut as good or better who did not. Jordan and Shaq always got the calls, but how often did they actually flop to do it?
Vlade?

Well unfortunately players like Shaq and MJ don't come around that often. Of course I wouldn't like our guys flopping, and jawing at the officials is annoying too, but if we're playing for big stakes and the game is on the line, I wouldn't complain about a BS offensive foul on the other team's star or a totally undeserved trip to the FT line, especially if the other team has players who do the same.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I just had a vision of Shaq flopping. It wasn't pretty. :)

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
If you don't ever hear Tyreke shout out "hey, oh" "and one" then your not listening close enough. I hear it quite frequently from him. But that's beside the point, I don't think yelling out will get you any calls, it's just how the refs view you as either respectable enough to get "superstar" calls or just those calls you'll get here and there. Whether he gets those calls down the road is up for debate, but for now there is no question he is getting plenty of contact driving it in but he's strong enough to finish them.