Sasha Watch 2022-2023

What a crazy and extremely dangerous atmosphere for a basketball game, at least by NBA standards. All the burning flares lit by fans, the heavy smoke, loud explosions of some kind, and many green lasers used by fans that were directed at the Coaches, players and referees. It looked like some fans were intentionally trying to shine the lasers into the eyes of their victims, on the opposing team. I never saw anyone attempt to stop any of it, and it started even before the game started.

I don't know what caused them to stop the game. All I saw were the Olympicos players, coaches and staff suddenly leave the Court. Perhaps someone who is more versed in Greek and was watching can explain what happened?

What a crazy and extremely dangerous atmosphere for a basketball game, at least by NBA standards. All the burning flares lit by fans, the heavy smoke, loud explosions of some kind, and many green lasers used by fans that were directed at the Coaches, players and referees. It looked like some fans were intentionally trying to shine the lasers into the eyes of their victims, on the opposing team. I never saw anyone attempt to stop any of it, and it started even before the game started.

I don't know what caused them to stop the game. All I saw were the Olympicos players, coaches and staff suddenly leave the Court. Perhaps someone who is more versed in Greek and was watching can explain what happened?
It's a common thing in big rivalries (Oly vs Pana or Red Star vs Partizan) for the games to be cancelled or the stadium emptied than the game resumed you get a lot of the "ultras" basically football hooligans causing problems for no reason literally losers.

They tend to only do it during non Euroleague games because they don't receive large punishments from the local comp because the local comp needs them to function.

Vezenkov once again took a moment to reflect on his own future, considering the path that lies ahead for him and a possible leap to the NBA, Sacramento Kings.
"For now, I want to enjoy the title with my teammates because every trophy is important, nothing is taken for granted in sports. I will look at my options and what I should do. If this was the last game with Olympiacos, I thank them very much. But I will certainly think very carefully, at the moment, I want to relax."

Vezenkov once again took a moment to reflect on his own future, considering the path that lies ahead for him and a possible leap to the NBA, Sacramento Kings.
"For now, I want to enjoy the title with my teammates because every trophy is important, nothing is taken for granted in sports. I will look at my options and what I should do. If this was the last game with Olympiacos, I thank them very much. But I will certainly think very carefully, at the moment, I want to relax."
That doesn't sound like someone who's super intent on staying

I like Vezenkov's quick release and his passing, but he's gonna get absolutely torched on defense and rebounding if coming over. Kind of reminds of Bjelica with the 2019 team - when Bjelica had great shooting nights, that team often won, but when off, no bueno. Granted this team is much better already, and will not need to rely on his shooting as much, and the team already has shooters. He's not gonna rebound as well as Lyles, but his passing may be better, and probably his shooting. Lyles was a consistent performer and definitely established himself as important part of the team's success. He deserves a pay raise and extension. More interesting will be what the Kings decide with Len and Metu. I think the Kings really should (re-sign) bring as many players back as possible and add the 2 draft picks and Vezenkov - letting players compete out for slots 10-13. I was very impressed with Brown giving Davis and especially Len time in the playoffs....I like the idea of trotting out a full team, not 8 or 9 and mixing and matching all sorts of player combos. Playing more player has quite a few advantages, from better player development, to insulating from injuries, and finding new 2 or 3 player symbiotics.

Last edited:
He's coming.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I honestly don't think he could expect to walk into a starting job. You promise him a backup role with the chance to earn the starting job.
I don't think he could either but supposedly one of the hangups last year was what his role would be.

Granted nobody really knows what the hangup was last year and a lot of the Kings media (which is mostly bloggers and youtubers and hanger-onners) was just hating on Monte anyway they could because they didn't like their spread on draft night.

Does “backing up Keegan” also mean they view him as having some flexibility between the forward spots? If he can play some 3, that would help keep from getting the 4 spot jammed, especially if they bring back Lyles and sign more of a true 4 or even a big like Naz Reid instead of re-signing Barnes.

I don't think he could either but supposedly one of the hangups last year was what his role would be.

Granted nobody really knows what the hangup was last year and a lot of the Kings media (which is mostly bloggers and youtubers and hanger-onners) was just hating on Monte anyway they could because they didn't like their spread on draft night.
I could see him having that problem going into last season. I'm sure all he knew was that the Kings had been awful for 16 years. Much different coming to a team that finished 3rd in the West. Gives the Kings more leverage.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
If he's coming specifically having accepted the backup role that is all kinds of fascinating.
"It doesn't matter who starts, it matters who finishes"

I can easily envision a scenario where, like Monk, Sasha would come off the bench but typically be in the closing lineup of close games. It's a good way of keeping more than 5 guys happy. Huerter's the starter, Monk is the closer. Keegan's the starter, Sasha's the closer. Of course, if we don't bring Barnes back and depending on how the remainder of free agency/trade market goes, it's not inconceivable that both Keegan AND Sasha could be starting.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
"It doesn't matter who starts, it matters who finishes"

I can easily envision a scenario where, like Monk, Sasha would come off the bench but typically be in the closing lineup of close games. It's a good way of keeping more than 5 guys happy. Huerter's the starter, Monk is the closer. Keegan's the starter, Sasha's the closer. Of course, if we don't bring Barnes back and depending on how the remainder of free agency/trade market goes, it's not inconceivable that both Keegan AND Sasha could be starting.
or closing?

I'd like to see us upgrade the 3 with more defense. I don't think OG is gonna happen though.

The upside of Sasha is that if his game translates he can be someone that could quite literally change the entire complexion of what Monte will do with this team. While I wouldn't guarantee it, I think it's possibly not far out of reach that by some point next season your untouchables are Fox, Domas, and Sasha.

Does “backing up Keegan” also mean they view him as having some flexibility between the forward spots? If he can play some 3, that would help keep from getting the 4 spot jammed, especially if they bring back Lyles and sign more of a true 4 or even a big like Naz Reid instead of re-signing Barnes.
I think it might mean they expect to start Keegan at the 4 and that the main additions outside of Sasha will be at the 3. I would be surprised if Sasha is viewed as anything more than a PF, but it’s possible. I thought Keegan would only be a PF when he came into the league. Then he was a SF

It might just be a deduction based on the Kings pursuing OG and it can easily just mean he’s backing up Barnes or another 4.

either way, it’s clear he’s coming over