Sasha signed!!!

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
He’s been in the game a lot of times with the second and third units, which tend to be more iso heavy. A lot of times he just standing in the corner waiting for a pass that doesn’t come. I think for him to succeed he will need to play off of Sabonis.
This may turn out to be the case. It would pose an interesting conundrum if so, considering that a Fox-SG-Murray-Vezenkov-Sabonis starting lineup seems a bit unlikely to me. But if this is the case, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if we were to run out the usual starting five, but have our heavier rotation minutes look more like Fox-SG-SF-Murray-(McGee/Lyles) on the one hand and Mitchell-SG-SF-Vezenkov-Sabonis on the other, where the SG/SF rotation includes Huerter, Monk, Barnes and probably Duarte and Colby to some extent, but may be a bit more flexible.

This is my preseason take as someone who watched a lot of Sasha at Olympiacos.
  • Sasha has really struggled adjusting to the speed/pace of the NBA
  • He didn't get any scoring opportunities outside of 3s or backdoor cuts
  • He might not making the starting day rotation
  • His defense is really bad
When he's on the floor, it looks like he's playing 2 steps slower than the rest of the players. You always hear about how much faster the NBA is compared to Europe, but plenty of the less athletic players have come over and have done just fine. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking Bogdan, Bjelica, and Teodosic (when healthy). I didn't expect it to be much of an issue for Sasha, but it seems to be a real uphill climb getting to NBA speed. Regarding his lack of scoring opportunities, he didn't get set plays nor his number called for him at Olympiacos.. yet ended up averaging 15+ppg. On this current Kings team, we have a lot of offensive weapons and he's not going to see much of the ball unless it's an open shot. I don't think he fit well playing with the backcourt of Mitchell-Monk. Neither players are traditional PGs which limit the types of plays we run. Monk excels in PnR, but we haven't seen much PnP action with Sasha.

If we were strictly going off by what we saw in preseason, I would easily say that Sasha does not make the starting day rotation. His defense has been really bad on an already bad defensive team. The Kings are a poor rotating team which heighten's Sasha's deficiencies more than any other player when his man gets wide-open. I think he'd be best playing next to Sabonis with the DHO action. Sasha has a lot of kinks to work out, but I believe he'll be able to contributing member of this team. Once he gets familiar with Mike Brown's system on both ends of the floor, I expect him to be able to pull his weight and give around 20mpg as a high caliber role player. He's too good of a shooter and basketball player not to be able to put it together by the season's end. Hopefully he gets there, but I do think his learning curve is a lot bigger than anyone anticipated, the Kings included.

I would like to extend my deepest apologies for calling out Mike Brown for stating that Sasha might not be in the opening rotation. After seeing his play in the preseason, it wouldn't surprise me if he's been struggling a lot in practice.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
When he's on the floor, it looks like he's playing 2 steps slower than the rest of the players. You always hear about how much faster the NBA is compared to Europe, but plenty of the less athletic players have come over and have done just fine. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking Bogdan, Bjelica, and Teodosic (when healthy). I didn't expect it to be much of an issue for Sasha, but it seems to be a real uphill climb getting to NBA speed. Regarding his lack of scoring opportunities, he didn't get set plays nor his number called for him at Olympiacos.. yet ended up averaging 15+ppg. On this current Kings team, we have a lot of offensive weapons and he's not going to see much of the ball unless it's an open shot. I don't think he fit well playing with the backcourt of Mitchell-Monk. Neither players are traditional PGs which limit the types of plays we run. Monk excels in PnR, but we haven't seen much PnP action with Sasha.

If we were strictly going off by what we saw in preseason, I would easily say that Sasha does not make the starting day rotation. His defense has been really bad on an already bad defensive team. The Kings are a poor rotating team which heighten's Sasha's deficiencies more than any other player when his man gets wide-open. I think he'd be best playing next to Sabonis with the DHO action. Sasha has a lot of kinks to work out, but I believe he'll be able to contributing member of this team. Once he gets familiar with Mike Brown's system on both ends of the floor, I expect him to be able to pull his weight and give around 20mpg as a high caliber role player. He's too good of a shooter and basketball player not to be able to put it together by the season's end. Hopefully he gets there, but I do think his learning curve is a lot bigger than anyone anticipated, the Kings included.

I would like to extend my deepest apologies for calling out Mike Brown for stating that Sasha might not be in the opening rotation. After seeing his play in the preseason, it wouldn't surprise me if he's been struggling a lot in practice.
I don't know about that. All of Coach Brown's comments have hinted that he has to earn his way in. Like all new players to the NBA (rookies, foreign pros, etc.), it might take a while to fit in. Maybe they anticipated a slower process than a lot of us did? Also, maybe it will just take a few more weeks of practice and a few real games for things to "click"? We'll see!

Sasha hasn’t looked comfortable to me. Looks like he is thinking a lot, giving his man too much space, and trying to fit in the offense. But he started to settle in a bit in the second half last night. It’s going to take him a while to adjust to the NBA game and find his place on the Kings.

But the shooting and cutting are real. And his defensive rebounding has been OK. He is going to have to spend a lot of time in the film room figuring out opposing player tendencies and hit the weight room to get in the best shape of his life.

But I can see a really useful rotational stretch big (20 mins/night), once he adjusts.

I thought he'd fit in more seamlessly. But I also thought he'd be integrated different. He is in a 100% new place, not just adjusting to the team but the area and life in general.

I still think he'll be fine and its feeling like he'll be a sniper off the bench. I thought he'd be giving HB a run for the starting 4 spot. I dont think thats going to happen now. Not this season.

I thought he'd fit in more seamlessly. But I also thought he'd be integrated different. He is in a 100% new place, not just adjusting to the team but the area and life in general.

I still think he'll be fine and its feeling like he'll be a sniper off the bench. I thought he'd be giving HB a run for the starting 4 spot. I don't think thats going to happen now. Not this season.
I think the assimilation will be a little quicker, much like any good rookie the post all-star play will be what I am looking at.

On the positive side his rebounding has translated.

It's got to be shaking his confidence a bit, particularly after going form being the MVP BMOC BAMF in Europe to looking like a rookie in this new league. He's saying all the right things, though, and I have to believe the Kings have good people around him to navigate this transition.

All the things I liked about his highlight videos seem to carry over in the preseason. While his shooting percentage has been low he’s not having trouble getting his shot off, it’s still one of the quicker releases you’ll see. Percentages will average out.

His off ball movement has been elite, the difference is the play is less likely to look for him to finish due to his new role and he’s playing with all new teammates so it’s a half/half not imposing himself and teammates not looking for him.

I’ve liked his rebounding, which was the one thing I was worried we wouldn’t get at the NBA..but he goes after it and unlike most Kings, he actually runs towards the hoop when somebody shoots in case they miss, instead of watching.

Defensive concerns do look to be pretty valid but hardly a deal breaker on this group.

He’ll be a weapon

All the things I liked about his highlight videos seem to carry over in the preseason. While his shooting percentage has been low he’s not having trouble getting his shot off, it’s still one of the quicker releases you’ll see. Percentages will average out.

His off ball movement has been elite, the difference is the play is less likely to look for him to finish due to his new role and he’s playing with all new teammates so it’s a half/half not imposing himself and teammates not looking for him.

I’ve liked his rebounding, which was the one thing I was worried we wouldn’t get at the NBA..but he goes after it and unlike most Kings, he actually runs towards the hoop when somebody shoots in case they miss, instead of watching.

Defensive concerns do look to be pretty valid but hardly a deal breaker on this group.

He’ll be a weapon
Seconded.

I honestly just think our offense takes a bit of time to learn - it's extremely complex and not based on set plays. You can't just memorize a playbook - as I said in another thread learning our offense is like acquiring a new skill. This especially applies to how Sasha plays - reliant on finishing in the flow of an offense.

So far I've seen no reason to doubt he can learn this offense and no reasons physically why he won't be able to execute within it. I also think "adjusting to the speed of the NBA game" is also a mental learning thing - as he was not particularly slow for a guy his size in Europe - but I have seen him look a little hesitant in his movements on offense over here. It appears to be more of a mental adjustment/mental learning curve all around than having reached any physical or skill limitations.

For Brown to actually state that he "might not" make the early rotation, it most likely means that he already knows that he will not. Otherwise I don't think he would give that answer.

The problem I see is that he's supposed to be a stretch big, but doesn't really play like a big at the NBA level. Ends up being just a large slower body moving around out there. Gonna be a big challenge for him, but lets hope he figures it out

Small excerpt from the Amick/Slater piece in the Athletic on the Kings

“I’m working for the team, he’s working for the team,” Vezenkov said. “We’re working in the same direction. … From theory to action, (the NBA is) a little bit different. A lot of times you have to face it, you have to challenge it and you have to be stronger to keep going. It’s totally different world, totally different league. I’m taking a small step every day forward to be what I want to be and what the team needs me to be. I’m trying. The game is so fast and these guys are so talented.”

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Everything about Sasha is weird in a fun way. Dude dumps off the awkwardest possible wrap around pass to Domas and (quickly) resets for the C&S but by getting his hands up for the catch before even hitting his spot looks like a toddler learning how to run. And that’s even before you factor in the cut off follow through on his release.