[SAS/LAL] Can the Spurs mess up the NBA's dream finals?

Who wins, and in how many?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
So much hate toward the Lakers! /shrug

As Forest Gump once said..."Sh*t, it happens". :D

If Spurs want to win, they better step it up and win the next game. One game at a time. It ain't over until someone wins 4!

Go Lakers.

One more thing...trying to win by intentionally drawing a foul = LOSER. Shoot the ball and win the freaking game!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
here's what i don't get, about end of game no-calls specifically. i actually think the refs are fairly consistent in not calling these, but yet they are consistently WRONG. how is this a good/right thing? if you look at the replay last night, fished leaves the ground, comes down with an elbow drop to barry's head, but because barry doesn't flop (crumple to the ground) or do the usual, lame jump into the jumper, he doesn't get the foul call? :confused:

Well given that I would reward the flop or jump into the jumper with an OFFENSIVE foul, I have no sympathy. Actually the flop should be a technical foul. And after you acqure 10 such technicals in a season it should be mandatory castration, because you are a (insert slang for cat here) anyway.

I think the Fisher play was actually a closer case than some, because unlike most of the ticky tack I'm such a wimp I cannot be touched garbage that gets called up there, Fisher's bump may have legitamately effected the shot.

I think the Fisher play was actually a closer case than some, because unlike most of the ticky tack I'm such a wimp I cannot be touched garbage that gets called up there, Fisher's bump may have legitamately effected the shot.
forget it being just a bump though, it was a straight elbow to drop to barry's head. and then, when the TNT guys reviewed the replay, they kept going "oh, barry didn't sell the foul" which is fine, but i don't think he should have to sell it; it's a foul! sometimes the NBA rules just don't make sense to me.

Bricklayer

No, the "selling" of the foul is a plague on the NBA -- caught halfway between being a pansy actor and a flat out cheater.

But sold, or unsold that STILL should not be called a foul (again Fisher's is close) unless it prohibitively effects the shot. I do not ever want to see a game decided by a referee's whistle at the 1 second mark. And whether you know it or not, neither do you.

My only proviso here is because the blow may have knocked Barry off balance enough that his last shot did not have as good a chance as it might. That you call.

No, the "selling" of the foul is a plague on the NBA -- caught halfway between being a pansy actor and a flat out cheater.

But sold, or unsold that STILL should not be called a foul (again Fisher's is close) unless it prohibitively effects the shot. I do not ever want to see a game decided by a referee's whistle at the 1 second mark. And whether you know it or not, neither do you.

My only proviso here is because the blow may have knocked Barry off balance enough that his last shot did not have as good a chance as it might. That you call.
Unfortunately in the 2nd quarter that would have been called a foul but I don't think the refs wanted to be the one's who decided the winner of the game(although they have done it numerous times in the past). If Barry goes up for the shot and jumps into Fisher it's a foul and the Spurs probably would have won.

Either way it sucks because now we have to hear every Lakers fan scream that it's not a foul and every Spurs fan scream that it was a foul and they got screwed.

Tim Duncan: It wasn't a foul.

Gregg Poppovich: It wasn't a foul.

Brent Barry: It wasn't a foul.

Jon Barry: It wasn't a foul.

Tony Parker: It wasn't a foul.

I think that's enough for me.

Good no-call by the officials.

why are you whining about the officating? seriously, why are you whining?
Their shoddy work put us in the position that Ryle mentioned a few posts above. Final score should've been Lakers by 7-10. Call me what you will, but don't cling to that no-call like your comrades do with .04 and I'll respect you in the morning.

(edit) - Bryant darted downcourt for a reverse jam to break another tie, as the braying public-address announcer sourly noted, "That was a two-pointer."

^ Lolz. He caught feelings.

Last edited:

unless it's to make the right call. i don't want either team to do whatever they want when there's 1 second left, just because the refs are not going to make a call. it's not popular, i know they don't want to do it, i know we all as fans would rather not have a game decided by it, but it's their job. they officiate, for 48 minutes, not 47 minutes 50 seconds. just my thoughts on it.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I understood your post, right up to the last sentence. I simply cannot root for any player to be injured...ever. Not after that one night in Dallas.
Thats why I said 'tweaks' his ankle... I'd never wish anything career ending on a player. I'm just hoping for one of those little 2 week sprains you know? Just enough for him to miss the finals.

Oh how glum the little Lakers fans would be

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
He'd play on a tweaked angle. And they'd still win. And it would be A1 of every newspaper in America, other than the Rabbit Creek Journal. And headline Sportscenter. And Good Morning America. And he would be hailed as the Brave Little Soldier. And angels shall sing his praises. And everyone shall rejoice.

Except me. :mad:

He'd play on a tweaked angle. And they'd still win. And it would be A1 of every newspaper in America, other than the Rabbit Creek Journal. And headline Sportscenter. And Good Morning America. And he would be hailed as the Brave Little Soldier. And angels shall sing his praises. And everyone shall rejoice.

Wow Slim. Tell us how you really feel about a certain Kobe Bean Bryant.

man WTF its too early for this team to go to the finals and possibly win it. I don't know what I would do if they won it this year cause they are going to be the front runners to win it next year with bynum coming back. These are truly dark days in my life

Yeah that would be the worst thing that could happen.

Luckily I think Detroit and Boston both match up pretty well with LA. Specifically Detroit. Prince has caused Kobe problems in the past with his length, Sheed and Dice do a terrific job of rotating on D, Sheed is 1 of the best post defenders you can put up vs Gasol, and if Kobe guards Rip then he'll be run off screens all day and hopefully tired out. Detroit also has a ton of depth with guys like Maxiell and Ratliff behind Sheed and Dice. That's 24 fouls.

Both Boston and Detroit can beat the Lakers. I don't get what you guys are so annoyed about.

Honestly, I'd rather see Kobe lose when hes only one or two wins away from a championship, not eight or nine.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I'd rather see Kobe lose when he's a game away from making the playoffs.

And it should be obvious by now that I have a different opinion of either the Celtics or Pistons' chances to beat the gd lakers.

I think Detroit matches up very well with L.A. and have a good chance of beating them. I don't think Boston can though. They have the roster to do it, but Allen and Garnett don't really perform too well under pressure (at least from what I've seen). Pierce is clutch but Garnett, and especially Allen, have to play like...well...Garnett and Allen if they have any shot at all.

So much hate toward the Lakers! /shrug

As Forest Gump once said..."Sh*t, it happens". :D

If Spurs want to win, they better step it up and win the next game. One game at a time. It ain't over until someone wins 4!

Go Lakers.

One more thing...trying to win by intentionally drawing a foul = LOSER. Shoot the ball and win the freaking game!

You're a lakers fan right?

I dont think either the Celtics or Detroit have the bodies to compete with the lakers.

LA/Detroit

Fisher/Billups
Kobe/Hamilton
Rad/Prince
Odom/Sheed
Gasol/McDyess

Bench: Sasha, Farmar, Turiaf, Ariza and Walton/Maxiell, Hunter, Stuckey and Afflalo

To begin with Billups has a bad wheel, and unless you play prince or sheed on Odom, he will be a matchup nightmare. Most importantly the Pistons have no one on the level of Tim Duncan who is really doing a number on Gasol. Other than the Billups/Fisher matchup I dont see a clear cut advantage that the Pistons have on the lakers. (Actually anyone on Detroits roster has an edge on Vlad)

On the other side of the coin you have Boston and its big 2.

Fish/Rondo
Bryant/Pierce
Vlad/Allen
Odom/Perkins
Gasol/Garnett

Bench: "Bench Mob"/ Casell, big babby, pj brown, house, posey

Again as with the pistons I dont see an overwhelming Duncan sized advantage in any position. Maybe Garnett against gasol and odom, and Allen on Vlad. (even then Allen is playing like a scrub)

I dont want to get ahead of myself because SA is not done yet, but I dont think either of the Eastern teams would pose as big of a roadblock as the Spurs. (Not saying that we would sweep either team either)

Besides any team led by Doc Rivers and Flip Saunders doesnt scare me.

Tim Duncan: It wasn't a foul.

Gregg Poppovich: It wasn't a foul.

Brent Barry: It wasn't a foul.

Jon Barry: It wasn't a foul.

Tony Parker: It wasn't a foul.

I think that's enough for me.

Good no-call by the officials.
NBA: It was a foul.

Actually I think Phil Jackson even said it was a foul. However, there was the missed call on the other end with the shot clock.

The Spurs have the right attitude though. But I knew something fishy would occur in this series... the league wants Celts/Lakers too badly ;)

NBA: It was a foul.

Actually I think Phil Jackson even said it was a foul. However, there was the missed call on the other end with the shot clock.

The Spurs have the right attitude though. But I knew something fishy would occur in this series... the league wants Celts/Lakers too badly ;)

So, missed call. Makeup call. Thats oldschool referee work for ya.

Isn't it time for the NBA to step into the new millennium and use the technology available to them like the NFL does.

Bricklayer

As a matter of routine it is NOT a foul in the NBA. That is just rarely called.

People like to make up new rules whenever they have a rooting interest in things, but that call is just not made. Does not mean it is never made. Does mean that when it IS made its an aberration. When it IS made its the mistake. The refs have been very consistent about that ever since I've been watching the game (which is 25 years now). Let the players decide it on the floor. Error on the side of swallowing your whistle rather than making a mistake and calling something that should not be called. And its a good thing. Its unfortunate that the rest of the game is not called the same way rather than being subjected to a blizzard of touch fouls, breathing fouls, bump fouls, flop fouls...

Its not hard to tell when its rooting interests that direct the reaction to a call. All you have to do is stand it on its head: if that had been Fisher needing to hit that shot to win it for the Lakers, and Barry had parachuted and hit him before the shot, and it was not called, the great majority of the arguers would be taking polar opposite positions from the ones they are now. I have no time for that silliness. That foul is just not called on Fisher. Nor on Barry if the situations are reversed. I won't particualrly get into what would have happened if it was Kobe taking the shot, except again to note that Kobe has 6 FTs in 4 games, which makes it extremely difficult to argue that he's getting a bunch of undeserved FTs from the refs this series.

Last edited:
And of course keeping in mind that Brick is rooting for the Lakers (against the Spurs?) in this one. :)

When I saw the play, my thoughts were as follows:

• This likely is a foul earlier in the game.
  • This might be a foul if a star player is taking the shot.
  • It really wasn't hard enough to be called at the end of the game.
  • Barry traveled.
  • Barry should have gone up instead of doign the fake -- this probably would have been more of a clear cut foul.

That said, if the NBA comes out and says this *should* have been called a foul, then I guess I'll agree with them. They don't do that too often. Maybe they are just throwing Spurs fans a bone, I don't know.

At the end of a game, it wasn't a foul. But...Barry was dumb to put the ball back on the floor. If he had to shoot it while Fisher was jumping into him, then it'd be entirely different

So, missed call. Makeup call. Thats oldschool referee work for ya.

Isn't it time for the NBA to step into the new millennium and use the technology available to them like the NFL does.
It -IS- oldschool.

The refs know what Fisher did is a foul. They just rarely call those at the end of games. Again, Dwight on Bosh. Malone railroading Drexler to free up Stockton in 97. Bowen on Bron in Gm3, 06. Jordan for the win.

Gm2, 97 Semis, Malone caused a turnover by hacking Van Exel's forearm as he was pulling up to shoot. Two point loss at buzzer. No call, Harris was going ape, ref walked away strongly shaking his head "no". And what's more, no outrage from the media. No admittance of the foul by Stern's cronies after the fact.

Either take the above or take Pippen on Hubert Davis, which is a call that many people still spew venom over. Can't please everyone to paraphrase Honest Abe.

Status
Not open for further replies.