Salt Lake Tribune: Ostertag lost in Sacramento

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_2507829

Ostertag lost in Sacramento
Not what he expected: Minutes are way down for former Jazz center who signed with the Kings
By Phil Miller
The Salt Lake Tribune

This isn't what Greg Ostertag signed up for, isn't what he expected at all.
Ostertag wanted to play basketball for the Kings, and he wanted to play a lot.
That wasn't too much to plan on, was it? After all, despite his many critics in Utah, one thing Ostertag never could be accused of was not putting in his time. In nine seasons with the Jazz, he missed more than a game or two only twice, when he broke his hand during his rookie season and when he fractured a leg bone two years later.
And Sacramento, reluctant and ultimately unsuccessful in bringing Vlade Divac back for a seventh season, had a need for size. Combined with the small-market, country-music ambiance, and the presence of fellow outdoorsman Brad Miller, the move to Sacramento seemed a perfect fit for the Utah expatriate.
"I thought so. It's a nice place," Ostertag said last week, upon his first visit to the Delta Center as a member of the Kings. "I was excited about it."
He won't say it, but Sacramento is a lot less exciting for Ostertag now. He mostly sits and watches these days.
After playing just four minutes against the Jazz - and being loudly booed upon being introduced - Ostertag is on track to play less than in any season since he was a rookie.
At the beginning of the season, there was a good reason for his absence: Ostertag broke his right hand again, though not on the basketball court but in his bedroom at home. "I just fell on it, that's all," he said. "Nothing more to it."
Except that the hand kept Ostertag from participating in training camp, which in turn prevented him from being ready for the season, which cost him playing time important for getting used to his teammates. Now he plays only 10 minutes a game, and four times this season hasn't gotten off the Kings' bench at all. It isn't what he signed up for.
"It's been a little rough. It's been a little frustrating," conceded Ostertag, who has scored only 38 points all season. "But what can I do? I go out there and do the things I can do, and see how it goes."
His coach believes the problem isn't Ostertag's game, but the rest of the league's.
"A lot of the time, it's nothing more than matchups," said Sacramento coach Rick Adelman, who has stuck with the more mobile Miller as his center most of the time. "With [the success of] Phoenix, a lot of team are using smaller, quicker lineups. But I have to find ways to use his shot-blocking and rebounding."
Those skills remain intact. Despite playing only 233 minutes this season - by contrast, he played a career-high 2,153 minutes last season - and despite per-game averages that have plummeted because of those minutes, Ostertag has the second-highest total of blocked shots on the Kings, and he's fifth in offensive rebounds.
Those are numbers that Ostertag hopes will translate into bigger minutes soon. "It's just the way Coach likes to play," Ostertag said. "I don't think it's me so much as, he likes to play his starters 35-plus minutes a game. So you just have to try to stay ready."
Coming back to Utah with his new team was a sentimental journey, and an awkward one, too, he said. Ostertag embraced Larry Miller in a tunnel near the locker room, joked with his former teammates during warm-ups,
shook hands with dozens of arena employees, and hugged Jerry Sloan as soon as he spotted him.
Not that any of that was a surprise.
"You guys always saw the bad things between me and Coach. We're actually good friends," Ostertag said. "We just bumped heads on the court sometimes, that's all. But that's a friendship I'll take with me forever."
Same goes for the fellow head-bumper.
"I looked forward to seeing Greg. I was with him a long time," Sloan said. "We have a lot better relationship than most people realize. Even though we argued and fussed a lot when he was here, Greg's a nice man. I have a lot of respect for him as a person."
"I was only his teammate for a year, but it seemed like Greg was on the Jazz forever," said Raja Bell. "So seeing him with the Kings is really strange."
Strange, occasionally frustrating, but still rewarding, Ostertag said. "I'm not disappointed, not at all. We're winning, we're in second place in our division, and I think we've got a good chance to contend in the West."
And the Kings organization is a good fit, too, Ostertag said. "Everything there is so much more laid-back," he said. "The weather's nice, the city's nice - I can't ask for anything else."
Well, maybe some playing time.
pmiller@sltrib.com
Jazz at Rockets

l At the Toyota Center, Houston
l Tipoff: 6:30 p.m. MST
l TV: KJZZ
l Radio: KFNZ-AM (1320)
l Records: Utah 11-19, Houston 15-15
l Season Series: Jazz lead, 1-0
l All-Time: Jazz lead, 81-67
l At Houston: Rockets lead, 44-29
l Streak: Jazz, 2 wins
l Last Meeting: Jazz 90, Rockets 80 (Nov. 26)
l Line: Rockets by 7 1/2

About the Jazz: They have fallen to 14th place in the Western Conference, only ahead of New Orleans. . . . Four of their next five are away from home.
About the Rockets: They are 10-7 at home. ... They have won two straight to reach .500 for the first time since they were 6-6.

Ostertag stats
Year Team Reb Blk Pt
1995 Jazz 3.1 1.1 3.7
1996 Jazz 7.3 2.0 7.3
1997 Jazz 5.9 2.1 4.7
1998 Jazz 7.3 2.7 5.7
1999 Jazz 6.0 2.1 4.5
2000 Jazz 5.1 1.8 4.5
2001 Jazz 4.2 1.5 3.3
2002 Jazz 6.2 1.8 5.4
2003 Jazz 7.4 1.8 6.8
2004 Kings 3.1 0.8 1.7
Career 5.8 1.8 5.0

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
What a piece of dog dootie!

The writer is trying to create something out of nothing...And has obviously NOT seen any of Tag's interviews, pre-game and post-game antics, etc. Tag is HAPPY in Sacramento as a back-up and he's glad to be able to perform.

Let's look at Tag's actual quotes, separated from all the blathering (and the admitted notation by the writer that Tag hasn't actually said anything negative).

Strange, occasionally frustrating, but still rewarding, Ostertag said. "I'm not disappointed, not at all. We're winning, we're in second place in our division, and I think we've got a good chance to contend in the West."

And the Kings organization is a good fit, too, Ostertag said. "Everything there is so much more laid-back," he said. "The weather's nice, the city's nice - I can't ask for anything else."
Looks to me like we may have discovered what happened to AV. She had a sex change operation and is now writing for the Salt Lake Tribune under the name of Phil Miller.

And just like AV at her most ascerbic, Miller isn't going to let facts get in the way of a story...

One thing, Mr. Miller? If you're going to talk about Tag being frustrated, unhappy, etc. why didn't you mention the classy reception he got when he came back to play in Utah for the first time? I'm sure it touched Tag's heart to be loudly booed by the fans... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the article, living legend. It's nice to see that we aren't the only ones who have to wade through media bull-dooty once in a while.

;)

The reporter is obviously trying to stir up problems for Greg Ostertag. Just look at Ostertag's statement. His comments are positive, and consistent with everything he has said here in Sacramento.

The Utah home-crowd booed one of their former, long-time, players, a guy who donated a kidney to his sister. Ostertag has not complained or caused trouble in Sacramento. He has helped the team. I rest my case.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
quick dog said:
The reporter is obviously trying to stir up problems for Greg Ostertag. Just look at Ostertag's statement. His comments are positive, and consistent with everything he has said here in Sacramento.

The Utah home-crowd booed one of their former, long-time, players, a guy who donated a kidney to his sister. Ostertag has not complained or caused trouble in Sacramento. He has helped the team. I rest my case.
That pretty much says it all, doesn't it? And yet, curiously, the writer doesn't mention the booing whatsoever...

Let the people in Utah believe what they want to believe. Greg Ostertag has been very open with how happy he is to be in Sacramento. He has said repeatedly that he's a role player who knows his role and he will leave the coaching stuff to the coaching staff and the scoring stuff to the guys who can score.

He isn't a prima donna who wants more playing time and he isn't the type who would whine to the media about it if he did... Shame on you, Paul Miller, for trying to create a controversy where none exists.

He won't say it, but Sacramento is a lot less exciting for Ostertag now. He mostly sits and watches these days.
After playing just four minutes against the Jazz - and being loudly booed upon being introduced - Ostertag is on track to play less than in any season since he was a rookie.
Did it pee off anyone else that Tag was booed? I was a little surprised, I didn't think the Utah fans would actually do it. Have we ever booed one of our own when they returned on another team? Contrarily, we always cheer for them (not including that "joke" incident between Pollard and Barry when Barry returned). That reporter outta be ashamed! But alas, he isn't ;) .

Viva la difference...

albeitrue said:
Did it pee off anyone else that Tag was booed? I was a little surprised, I didn't think the Utah fans would actually do it. Have we ever booed one of our own when they returned on another team? Contrarily, we always cheer for them (not including that "joke" incident between Pollard and Barry when Barry returned). That reporter outta be ashamed! But alas, he isn't ;) .
Viva la difference...
Utah Jazz has been my "second team" for years, but it is difficult yo associate one's self with fans like that. What did Tag do to justify such treatment?

Tag won't be booed in Sacramento. He is not Olyden Polynice.

quick dog said:
Tag won't be booed in Sacramento. He is not Olyden Polynice.
Oh, so OP was booed in a return to Sacramento? I heard he had a somewhat brutal character, was that it? Come to think of it, Tag could be labeled a kind of brutal, but in a more positive term... ;)

But still, boo Tag? Unbelievable. And isn't Utah a rather 'conservative' crowd?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Oops. :eek:

Miller did mention the booing, didn't he? But he certainly didn't make any attempt to explain it.

albeitrue said:
Oh, so OP was booed in a return to Sacramento? But I heard he had a somewhat brutal character, was that it? Come to think of it, Tag could be labeled a kind of brutal, but in a more positive term... ;)

yes, that they are. i dont think thats the reason they booed him, tho. i dont really know why, come to think of it. probably cuz he was sloan's scapegoat for so long that it just translated to the fans.

if they all could just see how funny otag is, they would be able to appreciate him a bit more. reading some of the things he' said so far to the media....he's actually a rather amusing fellow. i love the guy. great acquisition considering the budget we're working witht his season. i gotta believe sacto fans would never boo him.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
albeitrue said:
Oh, so OP was booed in a return to Sacramento? I heard he had a somewhat brutal character, was that it? Come to think of it, Tag could be labeled a kind of brutal, but in a more positive term... ;)

OP was ... well, let's just say he wasn't the kind of guy who would donate a kidney to a sister.

Tag is a guy who has his head on straight. He knows what's really important in life and he's very happy being with the Sacramento Kings. Watching him when he couldn't play because of his hand was a hoot. He didn't just sit behind the bench. He mugged with Slamson; he helped a fan win a prize during half-time; he joked with the fans; etc. This guy is enjoying the experience here and the writer needs to find something else to try and create controversy with...

What was his point, anyway? That Tag should have stayed in Utah???

What a crock.

;)

Looky at this, the writer actually manages to slam Tag (in more way than one) and Sac all in the same sentence:
Combined with the small-market, country-music ambiance, and the presence of fellow outdoorsman Brad Miller, the move to Sacramento seemed a perfect fit for the Utah expatriate.
That kind of talk from -- is this guy a beat writer or local? -- close-by media just shows total lack of class and, really, anything significantly interesting to discuss about their own team. :p

Well, I'd like to see tag get more playing time too, and I think he will. In the meantime, he doesn't strike me as being terribly unhappy as a king. We're sure glad to have him!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
1. It's an article about one of the Kings
2. I don't think we care that much; I think we're just a little fed up with media types trying to stir up controversy where none exists...and I think we're all just waiting for the game to start.

:D

VF21 said:
1. It's an article about one of the Kings
2. I think we're just a little fed up with media types trying to stir up controversy where none exists...

Isnt that the medias job? I mean, if they try to didnt stir up controversy everywhere, they'd probably get fired

;)

I am so sick of the media reporting on everything from sports to politics. What happened to the un-biased media? Or the media that would do a story that was factual not assumptions as this reporter did. Makes no sense just made me laugh. Maybe I should fire him off an email and see what happens.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
There are different types of media. Different types of writers.

Some, like AV and Dave Berry, are columnists. They are paid to write their opinions, their thoughts, etc. They generally specialize in one area, as with AV and sports; her columns are about something in the sports world. Dave Berry is a humorist. His columns take a humorous look at almost anything.

The media reports. It's what they do. None of it is unbiased. The bias may be obvious, as in the case of someone like Rush Limbaugh, or it may be subtle - but there is always a bias.

If you mean they should always be objective, then that too is subject to interpretation. This was a column, so it doesn't fall under the same type of rules a news article would be subjected to...

What I am sick of is pretentious columnists/writers who put their own agendas ahead of what they're writing about. This is where I feel Mr. Miller has put his cart before the horse. He apparently thinks Tag is being under-utilized in Sacramento, so he tried to find ways to support his theory. Unfortunately, he wasn't on very sound footing.

The media's job isn't is to stir up controversy. The media's job is to provide the public with information.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
VF21 said:
What I am sick of is pretentious columnists/writers who put their own agendas ahead of what they're writing about. This is where I feel Mr. Miller has put his cart before the horse. He apparently thinks Tag is being under-utilized in Sacramento, so he tried to find ways to support his theory. Unfortunately, he wasn't on very sound footing.
Oh, I actually agree with him that Tag is being underutiilzed. What I object to, as with Voison (classic Voison, not the pod-person replacement of the early season) is him trying to pump up his point by trying to make it come out of someone else's mouth, in this case Tag's.

The same article would be fine if it did no more than replace the feeble attempts to prove Tag's discontent with the lines:

"and while the unintimidating Kings would seem to be in desperate need of as many minutes from Ostertag as he can give them to help shore up their shoddy interior defense, thus far Adelman has been reluctant to utilize him as a regular member of the rotation. None of which fazes the ever easy-going Tag, who bides his time and tries to make what contributions he can in limited minutes "[Tag quote]" ".

The same point is made, but the writer is no longer tryign to pawn it off on Tag to create a controversy whihc does not exist.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Bricklayer said:
"...and while the unintimidating Kings would seem to be in desperate need of as many minutes from Ostertag as he can give them to help shore up their shoddy interior defense, thus far Adelman has been reluctant to utilize him as a regular member of the rotation. None of which fazes the ever easy-going Tag, who bides his time and tries to make what contributions he can in limited minutes "[Tag quote]" "..
That's good stuff. Shame Miller didn't get in touch with you.