Sacramento selects Francisco Garcia

I don't have any idea where the comparisons to DC are coming from. Christie was a superior athlete (did a between-the-legs dunk in a college slam-dunk contest) with PG skills, but serious offensive issues (especially shooting the ball). Garcia is a polished shooter and scorer who is a very marginal athlete and ballhandler (was a SF in college) for an NBA 2. They're actually very dissimilar players.

While I'm hardly enamored of Garcia's game, I DO like the pick. This draft is comically weak (will be one of the worst ever), and Garcia is the kind of player who could be a marginal starter in the NBA, despite his flaws. Getting a player that 'good' at 23 in a horrid draft is very nice.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Everybody is saying he fits well in our offense. Since Valde, Webber, and Christie left we HAVE NO OFFENSE. It will all make sense when we trade Peja for Artest. Not to mention picking up Kwame Brown or Stromile Swift via FA.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
ImaKingsFan said:
I agree! I especially liked Dick Vitales analysis of him. Said he is a "gem" with lots of heart and he's coming from a solid program. I think we were lucky to get him at 23. With so many "ego" tripping athletes running around I like picking up someone who is eager and coachable and wants to be a part of the Kings.
He might be, but I certainly hope you aren't listening to Dick Vitale for your NBA analysis. If a kid went to college, and played for a winning program Dickie watched, that's all that matters for him. They're all great. Seem to recall him thinking Mateen would be the **** too (and for the record I obviously do think Garcia has a better chance than Mateen).

SacTownKid said:
QUESTION:

Would you rather have Cuttino (if he were not a FA) or Francisco be your starting SG?
Well to answer my own question.

A SG that can and will pass the ball, YAY!!!!

Cats a good player and I have been a fan of his for a long time. But he didn't fit in with the Kings roster at all.

Yoda said:
I think Garcia could be a stud. Dont understand the bad run this site is giving him.
I think he's getting bad run b/c while he fits on this team, as Brick has stated many times over, he doesn't bring much new to this team. He's not an adept dribbler in terms of setting up his own shot (sounds like Bibby and Peja, who both need screens of some sort to free them up) and he's not hyper athletic (like the three core guys). He has a great basketball IQ (like other members of this team) and he can shoot the ball very well (this is the Kings, after all).

His attributes are attributes the Kings arguably have too much of already. Garcia will probably fit in very well with this Kings' team, but he's not going to improve the current roster enough to make the fans forget about the not-so-long-ago glory days any time soon. Solid choice at #23, and were he coming to a team that needed to improve its basketball IQ and its shooting, I'd be gushing over the guy. But those aren't the Kings weaknesses at the moment, which is why some are finding fault with the selection (at least imho).

Bricklayer said:
This site and 22 other GMs who passed over him. :rolleyes:

I didn't invent the doubts.
Well, as the 23rd pick there will be doubts.:rolleyes:
Teams did tend to draft more need this year, so some players were availiable later who should have been drafted earlier. If Simeon was your choice...28 GMs passed on him. Weird angle your taking here.

Bricklayer said:
He might be, but I certainly hope you aren't listening to Dick Vitale for your NBA analysis. If a kid went to college, and played for a winning program Dickie watched, that's all that matters for him. They're all great. Seem to recall him thinking Mateen would be the **** too (and for the record I obviously do think Garcia has a better chance than Mateen).
Let's not forget about Dickie V's insane love of Jacque Vaughn, either. That guy can't contain his enthusiasm enough to reliably predict which college players will succeed at the NBA level.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Bricklayer said:
Seem to recall him thinking Mateen would be the **** too (and for the record I obviously do think Garcia has a better chance than Mateen).
Come on now - how many players have Mateen's talent of "waving the towel in street clothes." He is the first all NBA team in that category

Bricklayer

4cwebb said:
I think he's getting bad run b/c while he fits on this team, as Brick has stated many times over, he doesn't bring much new to this team. He's not an adept dribbler in terms of setting up his own shot (sounds like Bibby and Peja, who both need screens of some sort to free them up) and he's not hyper athletic (like the three core guys). He has a great basketball IQ (like other members of this team) and he can shoot the ball very well (this is the Kings, after all).

His attributes are attributes the Kings arguably have too much of already. Garcia will probably fit in very well with this Kings' team, but he's not going to improve the current roster enough to make the fans forget about the not-so-long-ago glory days any time soon. Solid choice at #23, and were he coming to a team that needed to improve its basketball IQ and its shooting, I'd be gushing over the guy. But those aren't the Kings weaknesses at the moment, which is why some are finding fault with the selection (at least imho).
Your IMHO is correct.

Its got less to do with Garcia than it does the malaise that has settled over our whole mentality.

wow, talk about hating a draft pick, this reminds me exactly of all of the petrie picks so far - a bunch of people complaining about a player who has not played a second of pro ball and most people have not seen the players play!
shoot arco fans booed the peja draft pick, now those same fans would have a heart attack if peja was gone.

garcia is a great pick, give him a chance before you bag on him.
this guy is mature for his years which is what the kings were looking for. I was really suprised and excited that he was available for our pick. I do not think he will be the savior of the kings but he is one hell of a pick at this position.

Bricklayer said:

No worries there. Why I liked what Vitale said in this case was he was talking about the Kids heart and attitude..those variables that can make a so so player excell. :)

4cwebb said:

If his skill set are as you and Brick described then I am like-wise curious about the selection. There does seem to be a mixed scouting report when it comes to this guy. I sure hope we got the guy in the good reports.

RangerC said:
I don't have any idea where the comparisons to DC are coming from. Christie was a superior athlete (did a between-the-legs dunk in a college slam-dunk contest) with PG skills, but serious offensive issues (especially shooting the ball). Garcia is a polished shooter and scorer who is a very marginal athlete and ballhandler (was a SF in college) for an NBA 2. They're actually very dissimilar players.

While I'm hardly enamored of Garcia's game, I DO like the pick. This draft is comically weak (will be one of the worst ever), and Garcia is the kind of player who could be a marginal starter in the NBA, despite his flaws. Getting a player that 'good' at 23 in a horrid draft is very nice.
The comparisons probabely come from the fact that Francisco can play some point and is an excellent passer from the SG/SF position. With the exit of Doug Christie I think the Kings missed his passing the most. It hurt my eyes watching Cat handle the ball after watching Doug all those years. Plus he has length like Doug. He may not be as good a defender as Doug but he is an upgrade over Cat anyway you slice it. If we had a non-shooting PG then I would say Cat may be a better fit, but we don't.

JB_kings said:
28 GMs passed on Simien because he has a history of injury problems.
...and he doesn't have great size for a NBA PF (which is why he wouldn't have been a good fit here). Kings need a guy like Kwame or Stro who are not only athletic enough to play good defense on their man (if they desire to do so, and provided Stro isn't trying to guard Amare) as well as be able to cover up for the slowness of the C playing alongside them.

Diehard Jim said:
wow, talk about hating a draft pick, this reminds me exactly of all of the petrie picks so far - a bunch of people complaining about a player who has not played a second of pro ball and most people have not seen the players play!
shoot arco fans booed the peja draft pick, now those same fans would have a heart attack if peja was gone.

this guy is mature for his years which is what the kings were looking for. I was really suprised and excited that he was available for our pick. I do not think he will be the savior of the kings but he is one hell of a pick at this position.
Bingo. Petrie picks since Peja have been entirely pedestrian. Not awful - not superb. This pick was no different.

T

thesanityannex

Diehard Jim said:

well put. cant wait to see him on the court.

Diehard Jim said:

Other than Peja, name one player Petrie has picked who panned out. I think hating on Petrie's picks is a right earned by Kings' fans until the pick pans out, not the other way around. Of course, it doesn't help that Petrie has been picking in the low 20s for quite some time (basically since the Jason Williams selection).

Diehard Jim said:

Yes that is Geoff Petrie for you. Everyone hates his pick once again. Although out of everybody at least Brick has said for a long time that he didn't want Garcia. Well I hope, as you probably do yourself, that your assertions (Brick) on Francisco, and this team are WRONG!!!

Yoda said:
If his skill set are as you and Brick described then I am like-wise curious about the selection. There does seem to be a mixed scouting report when it comes to this guy. I sure hope we got the guy in the good reports.
Agreed on that last point. I thought he was known as a good defensive player, but then I've read things which say he isn't a good defensive player. Probably a better team defender than individual defender at this point, which is fine...at least he understands the concept of team defense, which is more than we can say for some of the other Kings' starters.

And I do recall watching that Illinois game from the NCAA tourney where he effectively disappeared --- he was the man on that Louisville team this entire season, but not for that game, and at almost no point did he try to exert his influence (which is probably one of the reasons he fell to #23).

4cwebb said:
Other than Peja, name one player Petrie has picked who panned out. I think hating on Petrie's picks is a right earned by Kings' fans until the pick pans out, not the other way around. Of course, it doesn't help that Petrie has been picking in the low 20s for quite some time (basically since the Jason Williams selection).
considering that all of petries picks in the first round except tariq will be playing in the nba this next year and they are all very good players I think he has a very good history of picking players who can play in the nba!
how many players picked before petrie picks have played 2 seasons or less? I would love to see those numbers.
he has not picked any franchise players but he has picked players who are nba players.

The bigger question about this pick is "who was picked behind him that would have been any better and, other than say the top five, who from 5 to 23 would start on our team, especially if Evans and Mobley are somehow retained"?

Bricklayer

Diehard Jim said:
considering that all of petries picks in the first round except tariq will be playing in the nba this next year and they are all very good players I think he has a very good history of picking players who can play in the nba!
how many players picked before petrie picks have played 2 seasons or less? I would love to see those numbers.
he has not picked any franchise players but he has picked players who are nba players.
Yes he has. And that's why he is pretty much an average drafter. His picks have performed pretty much as well as you would expect guys drafted at their positins to perform. Only Peja was significantly better, and that was a bit of a freak thing since Geoff was one of the few guys scouting Europe at that early stage.

But otherwise? Grant and JWill = solid starters selected in the late lottery. Corliss/Hedo = solid benchers/spot starters selected in the midteens. Gerald performed like a late first round pick for us, but blossomed a bit last year. So he was probably the best pick for the position other than Peja. Tariq of course turned out to be the worst pick -- middle lottery nothing. At that rate, if history was any gauge Garcia at #23 should turn out to be a decent 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th man type. You have to hope he turns out to be an unusally good pick for Geoff in order for him to matter much.

With the 23rd pick in NBA Draft 2005, the Kings selected junior guard/forward Francisco Garcia out of Lousville.
That's the entire text of acknowledgement of tonight's draft from the Kings. Not a single radio interview and zero quotes from the organization.
Sounds like a pick for another team to me.

Bricklayer

thesanityannex said:
I'd like to see who Petrie would have picked if he would have had the top pick.
I think Bogut would have been pretty obvious for us there -- again a perfect guy (on paper) for our system. But in his case potentially able to be more than a system guy because of his post game and a good hardnosed attitude problem.

Would have been interesting to see what Geoff would have done if he were picking 6th though. After the locks were done. Who would he really have liked if he had the whole draft to choose from? Have no idea.