Sacramento Kings @ Charlotte Hornets, 1/10/2024, 4p PST/7p EST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Kayte broke my heart tonight. Uninformed announcers are my pet peeve. Brandon miller hit a 3 in the 3rd quarter and she stated how he is shooting 37% as a rookie and that it is unheard of because he wasn’t a good 3pt shooter in college. He shot 38% from 3 in college btw.
She also persistently believes that whoever holds the ball when a shot clock violation occurs gets a turnover when it's a team turnover. Picking nits for sure, but definitely a pet peeve as a stat junky

She also persistently believes that whoever holds the ball when a shot clock violation occurs gets a turnover when it's a team turnover. Picking nits for sure, but definitely a pet peeve as a stat junky
It's really weird that there's no one staff that has corrected her. And more broadly, I don't get the feeling there's anyone on staff that is assigned to coach her to become a better broadcaster, give feedback about word choice, phrasing, overall quality, etc. etc.

Last edited:
It's really weird that there's no one staff that has corrected her. And more broadly, I don't get the feeling there's anyone on staff that is assigned to coach her to become a better broadcaster, give feedback about word choice, phrasing, overall quality, etc. etc.
Too bad Kayte apparently doesn't read this forum. There are enough recommendations, observations, and complaints to give her a direction for improvement. That is, if she perceives that improvement is needed.

Too bad Kayte apparently doesn't read this forum. There are enough recommendations, observations, and complaints to give her a direction for improvement. That is, if she perceives that improvement is needed.
She really seems to feel the need to announce that she played professionally at least once a game. But honestly color commentating is a different skill than basketball. She clearly knows the game, but would be nice to see a little workshopping. I used to be able to tolerate it better. I now frequently watch the other team's feed.

I think she has regressed. IDK if that is bouncing between Jones and Draper causing it. Which to me kinda sucks because I really like her, she is pretty knowledgable, but there are just more mistakes and hiccups and less actual analysis. I mean she complained like half a dozen times about where they were sitting in relation to the court. Which I totally get, but I don't want to hear about it. They have monitors right in front of them to watch if it's really that tough.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
They had a good thing going when it was him, Stephanie, and Dell as a three person team and he wasn’t too bad until they drafted LaMelo and then he just realized that screaming at the top of his lungs would make him internet famous and Dell got divorced and things took a turn for the worse.
Ask a Seattle Storm fan about DICK FAIN sometime.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
It's only weird if you believe that it's something that's widely known, which is not a belief that listening to a wide variety of NBA broadcasters supports. It would seem as though the list of NBA broadcasters who don't know that it doesn't count as an individual turnover is way larger than the list of the ones that do.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The initial feeling of some on this board was that she would improve, but neither my wife or I have seen it. And I agree, where exactly is the supervision and guidance for her? The most irritating thing for me is that she and Draper will often just talk about something totally irrelevant to the game and then maybe five seconds later will comment (or not) on a basketball play on the floor. In the meantime, the excitement of the play is lost. Also, oftentimes I'm wondering in a turnover situation why the Kings got the ball or their opponent got the ball because neither Draper nor Kayte seem to know or care.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
IDK if that is bouncing between Jones and Draper causing it.
They really need to replace Draper. Jones is so much better, and the difference between the two is startling when you listen. When Draper is on the 1140 afternoon show it's hard just to listen to. He seems to be confrontational just to be confrontational and some of his opinions are just idiotic. So that may indeed be part of the issue.

But I agree that she was doing a bit better of a job last year.

The initial feeling of some on this board was that she would improve, but neither my wife or I have seen it. And I agree, where exactly is the supervision and guidance for her? The most irritating thing for me is that she and Draper will often just talk about something totally irrelevant to the game and then maybe five seconds later will comment (or not) on a basketball play on the floor. In the meantime, the excitement of the play is lost. Also, oftentimes I'm wondering in a turnover situation why the Kings got the ball or their opponent got the ball because neither Draper nor Kayte seem to know or care.
It's only weird if you believe that it's something that's widely known, which is not a belief that listening to a wide variety of NBA broadcasters supports. It would seem as though the list of NBA broadcasters who don't know that it doesn't count as an individual turnover is way larger than the list of the ones that do.
It's less about the little rule about shot clock turnovers, and more about general competence and professionalism.

I realize this makes me sound like a massive boomer, but once again, I lament the decline in professionalism in recent decades.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
It's less about the little rule about shot clock turnovers, and more about general competence and professionalism.

I realize this makes me sound like a massive boomer, but once again, I lament the decline in professionalism in recent decades.
It would be nice to know the criteria by which the Kings chose their announcers. It's hard for me to believe that merit was their #1 requirement. Also, does anyone know who exactly was responsible for the hiring of the announcers?

They have a baseball style of announcing based on storytelling. Unfortunately, basketball is too fast paced for even most short stories so kayte ends up talking over the action.

Don't know if this is the right place but :
Bucks are wippinig the floor with Celtics !?!?!
I mean i like them , i know they are contender but 30plus (even 40 at a time) over Celtics is a bit scary ...
And we go there in 3 days :rolleyes:

Don't know if this is the right place but :
Bucks are wippinig the floor with Celtics !?!?!
I mean i like them , i know they are contender but 30plus (even 40 at a time) over Celtics is a bit scary ...
And we go there in 3 days :rolleyes:
celtics did play overtime last night and pulled their starters in this one at half after being down about 40.

She said "THEY ALL LOOK ALIKE." Immediately after confusing Ish Smith for Miles Bridges.

Yes, it was in regard to not being able to see, but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.