Sacramento City Clerk Rejects STOP's Arena Subsidy Ballot Measure

I know I shouldn't read the article comments...but I can't help myself.
When you do something incorrectly and get called out on it, it's your fault. No one else's. Jeez.
I believe they pay commenters to ***** and moan. It's always the same people and they're usually one comment and out. Seems to coincide with what the paid commenters do at least from articles and news clips I have seen (in regards to how they work). Usually the paid commenters are in a different country.

Here We Build! Here We Build! Here We Build! Here We Build! Here We Build! Here We Build! Here We Build! Here We Build! Here We Build! Here We Build! Here We Build! Here We Build! Here We Build! Here We Build!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
This is from STOP's facebook page
Stop Arena Subsidy
about an hour ago
The City Clerk has bowed to pressure from the Mayor, City Manager, and Sacramento Basketball Holdings LLC (dba "the 4000") to reject the Voter Approval intitative on technicalities. Sad. Now we have to go to court to uphold our right to vote.
And there's another stupid comment. They do not have the right to vote on the decision by the City Council. That would require a change to the City Charter. Just one more drop in the stupid bucket for STOP.

Dale Kasler ‏@dakasler 5m
City Clerk, in letter to STOP, says she found five different grounds for rejecting arena petitions as "insufficient."
Aaron Bruski ‏@aaronbruski 4m
Not only were the petitions rejected today, but sources say that some signature gatherers could be prosecuted for fraud.

Let the hammer fall loudly!
This looks like a good opportunity for a judge to send a message. It would be most appropriate for those who committed the fraud to serve a prison sentence.

This looks like a good opportunity for a judge to send a message. It would be most appropriate for those who committed the fraud to serve a prison sentence.
If your going to send a message, it can't just be the gatherers on the street that feel the heat. The ones hiring them and "encouraging" their behavior need to be held accountable. Perhaps that will happen, but probably not.

This is from STOP's facebook page
Stop Arena Subsidy
about an hour ago
The City Clerk has bowed to pressure from the Mayor, City Manager, and Sacramento Basketball Holdings LLC (dba "the 4000") to reject the Voter Approval intitative on technicalities. Sad. Now we have to go to court to uphold our right to vote.
Just to clarify, this is such a HUGE insult to the City Clerk. Without ANY facts to back it up, they are saying that she has so little integrity that she will suck up to the city officials,rather than do her job ethically. There is NO evidence in her past to suggest that this is how she does her job. Yet, these creeps at STOP don't care. They will trash her character, rather than take the blame for the fact that they are bumbling fools who can't put together a petition drive by the rules set up by the city.

I know I am a few days late to the party with these thoughts...but couldn't let it go...

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Just to clarify, this is such a HUGE insult to the City Clerk. Without ANY facts to back it up, they are saying that she has so little integrity that she will suck up to the city officials,rather than do her job ethically. There is NO evidence in her past to suggest that this is how she does her job. Yet, these creeps at STOP don't care. They will trash her character, rather than take the blame for the fact that they are bumbling fools who can't put together a petition drive by the rules set up by the city.

I know I am a few days late to the party with these thoughts...but couldn't let it go...
It's modern politics. Disgusting.

I'm actually trying hard to put myself in STOP'S shoes. Whats the negative consequence that stop supporters would face once the arena is built? What does this organization have to gain by trying to impede the process of building a new arena? Its fascinating. Is it literally just a group of people that gets a kick out of trolling the entire city? I have a hard time making any sense of them. Does anyone actually know what their motive is?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I'm actually trying hard to put myself in STOP'S shoes. Whats the negative consequence that stop supporters would face once the arena is built? What does this organization have to gain by trying to impede the process of building a new arena? Its fascinating. Is it literally just a group of people that gets a kick out of trolling the entire city? I have a hard time making any sense of them. Does anyone actually know what their motive is?
I'd imagine they want to feel something like this:

Well I had a good time trolling them for a while. One in particular got pretty pissed off at me. A couple others felt like sending personalized messages to me. Good times.. I can't post on their facebook page anymore =/

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/01/29/6111814/arena-opponents-file-against-city.html

As expected STOP is filing a lawsuit against the city.

I'm always going to be concerned until the Arena breaks ground. Do they really have a case?

I don't have too much knowledge on how different the petitions were, but were they really only minor differences as STOP is claiming?

For example, does Mike or anyone else know what the two missing paragraphs from one of the petitions contained?

Just want to finally put this to rest and send the STOP group back to the planet they came from.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
http://www.sacbee.com/2014/01/29/6111814/arena-opponents-file-against-city.html

As expected STOP is filing a lawsuit against the city.

I'm always going to be concerned until the Arena breaks ground. Do they really have a case?

I don't have too much knowledge on how different the petitions were, but were they really only minor differences as STOP is claiming?

For example, does Mike or anyone else know what the two missing paragraphs from one of the petitions contained?

Just want to finally put this to rest and send the STOP group back to the planet they came from.
Yes he does. It has all been posted here. One example is that one form of the petition asked for the signees to stop the building of an arena on the train yards.

The biggest issue, as I understand it, is that ALL 9 versions of the petition are missing an enacting clause which is mandatory. The "minor" differences aside, the lack of an enacting clause seems to be the reason all of the petitions were rejected, as they don't meet legal requirements. I don't see how they get around that.

Lastly, I'm more perplexed why all this time has been wasted counting and scrutinizing these petitions when the city charter cannot be change via a referendum. It not legal. Seems to me this entire nonsense should have been nixed from the very beginning based upon that.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
The biggest issue, as I understand it, is that ALL 9 versions of the petition are missing an enacting clause which is mandatory. The "minor" differences aside, the lack of an enacting clause seems to be the reason all of the petitions were rejected, as they don't meet legal requirements. I don't see how they get around that.

Lastly, I'm more perplexed why all this time has been wasted counting and scrutinizing these petitions when the city charter cannot be change via a referendum. It not legal. Seems to me this entire nonsense should have been nixed from the very beginning based upon that.
You make too much sense. ;)

I would guess that if the numbers simply came up short, it would be done with and that would be that with no risk of a rouge judge having a hair up the *** . I also suspect that the cost of counting and scrutinizing the petitions would have been less than the cost of the lawsuit (unfortunately, they both have to be paid now). If they could have avoided the courts altogether it would have been best and STOP at the end didn't cross the number threshold by much.

I would guess that if the numbers simply came up short, it would be done with and that would be that with no risk of a rouge judge having a hair up the *** . I also suspect that the cost of counting and scrutinizing the petitions would have been less than the cost of the lawsuit (unfortunately, they both have to be paid now). If they could have avoided the courts altogether it would have been best and STOP at the end didn't cross the number threshold by much.
It could also be that some of the petitions are tossed and they need the counts.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Dale Kasler ‏@dakasler · 12m
The4000 - PAC funded by #NBAKings - is allowed to intervene in arena subsidy suit. Hearing on merits of case set for Feb 21

and:

Nick Monacelli ‏@nickmonacelli · 15m
Judge grants intervention in #arena lawsuit. @The4000Arena now joins suit.

The judge stepping aside at the last minute is sort of a What the heck ...............

The4000 group is a pro-arena PAC funded/backed by the Kings ownership. The difference between what they are doing in the political arena and what the Snake from the north did is the Kings ownership is not trying to hide their funding. So this is a good thing.

I assume it's in regard to Silver being here.

I can almost guarantee it's STOP putting their collective feet in their mouths again. They are making it VERY easy for judges to hate them like the rest of us do. They are a bunch of crybaby brats that think the world is against them.

Judy Farah ‏@newsbabe1530 11m
Opponents of arena subsidy claim the city overpaid for arena. Now they say they have proof. We've got documents. Story coming up.

Mike Simpson ‏@MikeSimpsonKFBK 16m
Opponents of Sacramento's arena subsidy say they're armed with new evidence of fraud - including sworn testimony. We're live at 4 on @KFBK.

Judy Farah ‏@newsbabe1530 1m
Sacramento City Councilman Kevin McCarty has testified in the anti arena lawsuit. He gave his deposition on Monday. @KFBK has copy.

OK ....................? Not sure how the could claim overpaid. Wasn't McCarty opposed to the deal? If so, wouldn't damage his credibility?

Last edited: