Sabonis Interview in the Athletic

Good read:

https://theathletic.com/3174661/202...gs-trade-rumors-myles-turner-pacers-and-more/

Talks about frustration with losing recent winnable games, wanting to have a big summer, getting a home in Sac for next season, and the big juicy bit when asked about his 2 years remaining:

"I’m excited. I’m excited about the whole journey. It sucks that we have that (playoff) drought, but the fact that we can be part of something that can turn it around, you know, that’s the goal. Come in and change the perspective of this organization and what people think. We’re excited that we can be part of that and build it, you know? So I want to stay as long as I can. Everything has to go well, (but) I’m happy here. It’s awesome. The fans are great. I’m excited to see us do good."

It's great to hear a positive attitude from one of our cornerstones heading into the future. I think if we get one more good pick the future could be bright. A winner as head coach is the key.

We weren't going anywhere this season anyway.

Last edited:
If he’s happy in year 2.5 with an expiring contract on the horizon then it’ll hit different. Right now just feels like … what else would he say. Lol
exactly, we got 2 seasons to start winning or he bouncing. Can’t blame the guy for leaving if we still a poverty franchise by then. I’d imagine Fox will demand a trade by then and wouldn’t blame him either

exactly, we got 2 seasons to start winning or he bouncing. Can’t blame the guy for leaving if we still a poverty franchise by then. I’d imagine Fox will demand a trade by then and wouldn’t blame him either
Yeah I'm not sure why this is news:

-He loves Sac right now
-Team has to start winning (duh) for him to want to stay
-He still might stay anyway if he offer him the max that pays him an extra $60 mil more than any other team can offer in UFA.
-His wife has family in California (and I think a business) so being in California is probably fairly appealing to set down roots.

Basically, things would have to go crazy crazy wrong for Sabonis to walk in UFA.

Yeah I'm not sure why this is news:

-He loves Sac right now
-Team has to start winning (duh) for him to want to stay
-He still might stay anyway if he offer him the max that pays him an extra $60 mil more than any other team can offer in UFA.
-His wife has family in California (and I think a business) so being in California is probably fairly appealing to set down roots.

Basically, things would have to go crazy crazy wrong for Sabonis to walk in UFA.
I think if it were as simple being happy in CA he’d sign an extension this summer. Let’s say we get the 1/2 pick and draft a 19/20 year old who shows potential but isn’t a game changer over the next 2 years. Does Sabonis want to stick around and wait until he’s past 30 for the kid to enter his prime and start impacting the game? Drafting an absolute stud who’s a few years away from being an impact player in the playoffs isn’t something going terribly wrong but it doesn’t meet Sabonis’s needs

my gut is if we don’t make the playoffs he’s gone. And missed playoffs next year followed by first round exit in 2024 or something similar could also be enough for him to go.

Think it’s highly likely the FO will be shopping our pick this summer to bring in an impact player (or hopefully a legit star-level player)

I think if it were as simple being happy in CA he’d sign an extension this summer. Let’s say we get the 1/2 pick and draft a 19/20 year old who shows potential but isn’t a game changer over the next 2 years. Does Sabonis want to stick around and wait until he’s past 30 for the kid to enter his prime and start impacting the game? Drafting an absolute stud who’s a few years away from being an impact player in the playoffs isn’t something going terribly wrong but it doesn’t meet Sabonis’s needs

my gut is if we don’t make the playoffs he’s gone. And missed playoffs next year followed by first round exit in 2024 or something similar could also be enough for him to go.

Think it’s highly likely the FO will be shopping our pick this summer to bring in an impact player (or hopefully a legit star-level player)
No, he wouldn't. Him signing an extension would cost him a giant chunk of cash because his last contract was such a good value. You can only extend guys for 120% of their previous salary.

No matter how much he loves CA, he's not throwing away that potential 73 mil in UFA.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
No, he wouldn't. Him signing an extension would cost him a giant chunk of cash because his last contract was such a good value. You can only extend guys for 120% of their previous salary.

No matter how much he loves CA, he's not throwing away that potential 73 mil in UFA.
Given California’s tax rates, he would absolutely be stupid not to wait for the max bird rights extension.

Just gotta remember this when he doesn’t sign the extension and everyone thinks the sky is falling